• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

LMAO

DFJoiT8V0AAMQLU.jpg:large

This interview is a treasure trove.

Wrong Napoleon, genius

This world is so crazy that I'm having mixed feelings about the possibility of Jeff Sessions resigning.

Obviously I would like Jeff Sessions to resign and fall into a sub-terranian vent and die screaming as he burns into mere atoms on his straight trajectory to the Earth's molten core, but I also don't want anything to prevent Mueller from carrying out his investigation, and a new AG might do that.

It's all basically hypothetical since there's no way Sessions resigns. He's actually, genuinely on board with Trumpism, and surrendering his post means he wouldn't be able to make black peoples' lives worse and that's just unacceptable.

If he did resign, though, I wouldn't actually bet on anybody stepping in to replace him any time soon. Trump can barely find people to fill the positions he does have open. AG is gonna be a lot more visible and a lot higher pressure.

So guys... is Sessions going to retire today after being chewed out in the New York Times by his boss?
Or is his hatred of black people going to deter him from adhering to conventional protocol?
Or will Trump go on record and say Sessions' doesn't need to step down even though he effectively gave him a public vote of non-confidence?

Sessions is Bannon/Mercers' insurance policy that Trump doesn't slide into non-Fascist policies. The last stick Trump has is his bona fides within the Radical Right movement, if Brietbart turned on him for firing Sessions he would be well and truly fucked.

Trump sits alone in a room with piles of uneaten pizzas. The soda has all gone flat. The stacks of flat boxes obscure his view of the clock, but he is sure it is very late.

"I'm not hungry anymore," Trump says sadly, pushing away a paper plate with an uneaten slice upon it.

"Eat Donald, you need your strength. Meek kings are layed upon the butcher's block."

"I don't want to be king," he replies, "I want to be Donald."

"Donald is dead, Donald."
Hair Mouse returns!

Trump sits alone in a room with piles of uneaten pizzas. The soda has all gone flat. The stacks of flat boxes obscure his view of the clock, but he is sure it is very late.

"I'm not hungry anymore," Trump says sadly, pushing away a paper plate with an uneaten slice upon it.

"Eat Donald, you need your strength. Meek kings are layed upon the butcher's block."

Read Hair Mouse in the voice of the narrator from Darkest Dungeon. It's amazing.

Chococat

Bernie is kinda tough for me.

I was always okay with is policies. I would have voted for him if he had won the primary.

But his personality has always rubbed me wrong way, from stealing a data from inside the DNC to using Republican talking points and attacks against Hillary and the DNC.

I can believe the Russians did a personality profile on him and decided to use his campaign as a facet to chip away at Hillary.

I can believe Bernie was a unwilling tool of the Russians.

It is in the realm of possibility he was a willing tools, but more proof is needed before buy into that. His wife shady college/loan thing puts Bernie in a new light.

Republicans went from a cushy existence of resisting a guy that bent over the aisles constantly to make sure they didn't feel like they were getting steamrolled to an admin that is supposedly on their side but will throw them under the bus if they do so much as look at the President funny.

So happy to see this.

You're all jumping the shark if you think Bernie Sanders was some willing or unwilling Russian agent.

It is in the realm of possibility he was a willing tools, but more proof is needed before buy into that. His wife shady college/loan thing puts Bernie in a new light.

As far as I know there's still no actual proof except a second-hand comment from some Republican Trumpers in VT that Sanders office had anything at all to do with any of that.

Chococat

You're all jumping the shark if you think Bernie Sanders was some willing or unwilling Russian agent..

You're blind if you don't see that part of Bernie campaign was hijacked by Russia through bots and misinformation. He is definitely at minimum in the unwilling/unknowing category.

Depends what you classify as unwilling. Bernie was most certainly used as a wedge by both Trump and Stein to try to get liberals to not vote for Hillary.

I think it's a bad idea to classify "running against Hillary Clinton" as being Team Russia, even if you're just talking about an enemy-of-my-enemy unwilling thing.

You're blind if you don't see that part of Bernie campaign was hijacked Russia through bots and misinformation. He is definitely at minimum in the unwilling/unknowing category.
Anecdotally, I saw huge amounts of vile anti-Hillary stuff get pushed by Bernie-supporting friends who belonged to very active and very crazy Bernie Facebook groups. A lot of it was recycled right wing conspiracy garbage (Vince Foster murders, Hillary using the foundation as a piggybank, Bill a pedophile), some of it was classic fake news (Hillary shaking hands with Bin Laden), and some of it was just going after her physically -- the hashtag #piginapantsuit, for example. All of those friends wound up voting for Hillary AFAIK, but I'm certain stuff like that depressed liberal turnout. And I do think those FB groups were run by the Russians, because there was nothing liberal about them. Just pure anti-Hillary clickbait.

I think it's a bad idea to classify "running against Hillary Clinton" as being Team Russia, even if you're just talking about an enemy-of-my-enemy unwilling thing.

It's also worth pointing out that Bernie stated multiple times that people should vote for Hilary after he lost the primary, emphasizing the importance for making a vote count against Trump. It's not like he was purposefully trying to repress the vote or convince people to go third party. Stein and crazy Russia bots did that. Not Bernie.

Kusagari

Bernie definitely used some language and attacks toward Hillary in the latter parts of the primary campaign that were latched onto and used against Hillary the rest of the way until November.

That's undeniable.

Chococat

Anecdotally, I saw huge amounts of vile anti-Hillary stuff get pushed by Bernie-supporting friends who belonged to very active and very crazy Bernie Facebook groups. A lot of it was recycled right wing conspiracy garbage (Vince Foster murders, Hillary using the foundation as a piggybank, Bill a pedophile), some of it was classic fake news (Hillary shaking hands with Bin Laden), and some of it was just going after her physically -- the hashtag #piginapantsuit, for example. All of those friends wound up voting for Hillary AFAIK, but I'm certain stuff like that depressed liberal turnout. And I do think those FB groups were run by the Russians, because there was nothing liberal about them. Just pure anti-Hillary clickbait.

Anecdotally, I also saw when I went looking for news articles last summer about different campaign issue, Google's top pulls would articles from the RT, aka the Russian Times. It was legitimately frustrating trying to find article from known, reliable news source like NYT, WaPo, and BBC.

My Facebook feed was full of propaganda crap. I ended up muting Bernie friends cause they were just recycling Republican talking points.

Tarydax

Banned

Bernie himself knew what Putin was trying to do, and he didn't say anything about it until recently. He certainly didn't warn his supporters about it during the primary. I still don't think Bernie is part of the anti-American left like Jill Stein is, but that he was used as a stick to hit Hillary and the entire Democratic Party with - and that he tried to leverage Russia's fake news campaign to his advantage - goes without saying.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
More Sanders primary voters voted Clinton than Clinton primary voters voted Obama. You cannot reasonably say that Sanders was even unwittingly pro-Russian when he went out of his way to promote greater Democratic unity than Clinton herself did 8 years ago.

Bernie definitely used some language and attacks toward Hillary in the latter parts of the primary campaign that were latched onto and used against Hillary the rest of the way until November.

That's undeniable.

As did Clinton in 2008. And there was more dem unity last year than in 08.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if she didn't drop the ball 5 yards from the endzone. The end...

DFLibSlUQAAPOVw.jpg:large

Ali H. Soufan‏Verified account @Ali_H_Soufan 1h1 hour ago
More
Ali H. Soufan Retweeted CNN
Pres. Trump's 1st 6 months:
Tweets: 991
Days playing golf: 40
News Conference: 1
Special Counsels: 1
Major legislation: 0
Walls w/ Mexico: 0

#winning

We wouldn't be having this conversation if she didn't drop the ball 5 yards from the endzone. The end...

Yeah man I totally remember when Clinton supporters tried to take over the 2008 Democratic convention and tried to chant over Biden's acceptance speech. A shameful display it was.

Also if Comey wasn't under pressure to release info to the House concerning the e-mail investigation one week before election, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Also if Russia hadn't coordinated a massive disinformation campaign against the American public, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Also if voting wasn't suppressed in key states like Wisconsin, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Also if this country weren't sexist as hell, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There's a whole host of reasons as to why we're in this position. If Bernie's dirty, he'll get got, but for now, we should focus on the actual shit in front of us.

Tamanon

Banned
I can see an argument that some Bernie supporters were co-opted by Russian influencers, but he had nothing to do with it. It's just silly.

Chococat

More Sanders primary voters voted Clinton than Clinton primary voters voted Obama. You cannot reasonably say that Sanders was even unwittingly pro-Russian when he went out of his way to promote greater Democratic unity than Clinton herself did 8 years ago.

Sanders couldn't put the cat back in the bag after the convention. You don't go from saying you Democratic challenger is corrupt and is every bit as evil as the Republican say she was for 30 years, to everything is fine, support her now.

Sanders lost control of his campaign and followers. He used words and attacks that served him in the short term, ignoring the possible long term negative consequences on the liberal movement .

Russia and Trump used disenfranchises Sanders supporters to full effect.

It is completely reasonable to think Sanders is a good man while thinking he ran a campaign that damaged liberal unity.

Anecdotally, I also saw when I went looking for news articles last summer about different campaign issue, Google's top pulls would articles from the RT, aka the Russian Times. It was legitimately frustrating trying to find article from known, reliable news source like NYT, WaPo, and BBC.

My Facebook feed was full of propaganda crap. I ended up muting Bernie friends cause they were just recycling Republican talking points.
Similarly, when I opened up my YouTube app on my PS4 for the first time last fall (before I signed in), all the top videos it was suggesting to me were weird RT videos about the rigged primaries and Hillary scandals. It really disturbed me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bernie Sanders role, or non role, or whatever in this stuff in particular is not super interesting to me personally. I still think that his influence on her loss is overstated

kirblar

Sanders couldn't put the cat back in the bag after the convention. You don't go from saying you Democratic challenger is corrupt and is every bit as evil as the Republican say she was for 30 years, to everything is fine, support her now.

Sanders lost control of his campaign and followers. He used words and attacks that served him in the short term, ignoring the possible long term negative consequences on the liberal movement .

Russia and Trump used disenfranchises Sanders supporters to full effect.

It is completely reasonable to think Sanders is a good man while thinking he ran a campaign that damaged liberal unity.
Yup. There was not greater unity in 16 when you invite fucking Cornell West to the convention. You don't get unity by inviting people to the table that want to blow the table up.

Crocodile

A WaPo opinion piece said that congressional Dems are going to release their legiaslative agenda on Monday. Anyone know anything more about this?

Probably the "Better Deal" platform Schumer has been working on for a while with other Ds. I thought it was going to be rolled out later in the summer and I figured they wanted to let the GOP self-conflagrate with their healthcare nonsense so more (and take up all the oxygen) but they want to move the time table up?

I think others have said it before, but history books are really going to look back and see Sessions recusing himself as the first domino here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom