• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Probably a bit. I think it had more to do with them being more moderate and him being conceited enough to think he could do it on his own.

Mmmm...I suppose if you've got more conservatives that moderates, then why not just shrug and try and get all the conservatives on side.

Loxley

In the Trump/Russia movie, I look forward to the scene that re-enacts where Trump wakes up in the morning to see this news.

I only got an hour and a half of sleep and I'm gonna get my ass kicked at work but I can't stop smirking like a shit.

I hear you. Work gonna be rough but we'll be popping some bottles later on.

My "Independent" father-in-law from Mesa will be visiting today. I think it'll be some interesting dinner conversation :)

Mac_Lane

c0b744186635e3bfc4eadcc55458976a40f62dbb.jpg

Awesome moment.

The Post video is very well done :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/senate-rejects-measure-to-partly-repeal-affordable-care-act-dealing-trump-and-gop-leaders-a-major-setback/2017/07/28/f2865b10-7364-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.bd49f367cf77

bgbball31

What sucks about this now is that we have to hear all about how Obamacare is failing when we have a president actively (and openly!) trying to tank it and keep markets unstable.

Collins was never even passively discussed as not being a hard 'no' the whole week and I can't recall any news of republicans trying to reach out to her in any way, so obviously they never made any effort to talk to her before or during the process. They seemed to ignore Murkowski until Wednesday night when various threats were sent her way instead of trying to include her for Thursday. Hell, they went to physically intimidate her on the senate floor just before the vote. So basically they didn't bother trying with her until they were concerned another 'no' might appear and it was way too late to do anything about it. Shame to Heller and Paul both for claiming to be principled rouges against all of this at the start of the week and promptly flopping over after that.
In the Trump/Russia movie, I look forward to the scene that re-enacts where Trump wakes up in the morning to see this news.
That would make for a good shot, but Trump was awake and -on the phone- with McCain until the moments before he walked into the chamber to vote. That's why the roll call was onto "P" as he walked in. What really happened is actually more awesome than the fiction would be.

An aside, but it's fascinating how much drama even a generic static shot of the front of the senate chamber can produce. It's 99.99% snooze bar on CSPAN but it's priceless at times like this.
Will the public realize the sabotaging taking place, though?
The ruling party (and specifically the President) get blamed for everything while in power--rightfully and sometimes wrongly. They own this. They advertised from day 1 how they were going to fix this and they're the ones that failed to. If things go bad, people will look at them first.

In other news, Russia seized two diplomatic properties and ordered the US embassy to cut staff in retaliation against these ineffective sanctions that Putin totally isn't super-mad about.

Wilsongt

I hope someone in the futures writes the most blistering, scathing analysis of Trump and his presidency, and that the American have evolved enough to be disgusted and outraged by the fact that they voted for a president and lawmakers who insisted on working to strip healthcare benefits from people, and then proceeding to say that doing so was a GOOD THING for American people.

And I hope I am alive to see it happen.

Pixieking

Banned
What sucks about this now is that we have to hear all about how Obamacare is failing when we have a president actively (and openly!) trying to tank it and keep markets unstable.

It just needs Pelosi, Schumer or Sanders to issue a statement saying "Trump's attempt to push Obamacare to failure is irresponsible when his own party have tried and failed to replace it with something - anything - else. The time for bipartisan improvement of the ACA is here."

Whether they will do that is something else.

What's the Arizona law on appointments for retirees/death? God we just have to run the clock out til 2018 and pick up at least 1 seat making it a lot harder

Chococat

It's on him and the GOP then.

It is on progressive and liberal to start bombarding people with facts. Stop letting the GOP control the narrative. Point out everything the GOP and Trump are doing to sabotage healthcare. Rise up in states that did not implement the medicare expansion and demand that they do. Point out the insurance company that are fleeing state for greed. Keep writing. Keep calling. Keep protesting. Keep going to town halls.

The vote tonight was a battle, the war continues.

You should find the Democrats' speeches during debate on the Senate floor last night (particularly Booker's). It'll give some hope for what's to come.

Thaedolus

What's the Arizona law on appointments for retirees/death? God we just have to run the clock out til 2018 and pick up at least 1 seat making it a lot harder

Governor must appoint someone of the same party to serve until the next election (which would be when Flake is also up in 2018)

The gasps from the GOP when McCain voted
McConnell's tears

I can't believe this actually happened

Governor must appoint someone of the same party to serve until the next election (which would be when Flake is also up in 2018)

McCain should switch parties right before he steps down lol

Effect

This was great news to wake up to. I tried to stay up and watch but just couldn't do it. So glad this was the result though.

Trump can say whatever the fuck he wants about re-trying. Fact is the Senate already motioned to move on. And after today, there's too much bad blood delivered between the Senate Republicans and the darling trio to ever get anywhere anymore regarding these bills.

NewFresh

And don't think for a second that he's crying because of health care - he's crying because he fucking LOST and will now have greatly diminished power from here on in.

Dude loved to be called a "Master Tactician". Like you said, tears shed are just because of his reputation.

UberTag

In other news, Russia seized two diplomatic properties and ordered the US embassy to cut staff in retaliation against these ineffective sanctions that Putin totally isn't super-mad about.
Yeah, Putin's definitely not upset or anything.
He can't be happy about Browder's eloquent testimony yesterday spelling out exactly what his motivations are to anyone who cared to take the time to read it or watch the hearing.

Hopfrog

Went to sleep like a lot of people assuming this was a done deal and could not believe it when I saw the NY Times headline this morning.

As far as starting again, it is worth pointing out that line from McCain's official statement - he was a no because basically he did not trust Ryan and House Republicans. How do you run this process with so much distrust and animosity among your members in the House and Senate? House members are going to be pissed off and frustrated at the Senate for this, and it is clear that some Senators do not trust Ryan and the House. And then you have idiot numero uno in Trump sticking his nose in. What a clusterfuck for them.

Rachael Bade‏Verified account @rachaelmbade 24m24 minutes ago
House Rs fume this am abt Senate repeal failure/blaming them 4 defeat of a campaign pledge "This is on them; we did our job" -Ann Wagner

Rachael Bade‏Verified account @rachaelmbade 54m54 minutes ago
Folks fingering @SenJohnMcCain this a.m., but let's be clear here: It's the Senate R conference. They can't agree on anything of substance.

Rachael Bade‏Verified account @rachaelmbade 60m60 minutes ago
Mo Brooks calling 4 @SenateMajLdr 2 step down this a.m. Says "The leadership at the top is responsible" & gotta go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom