• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, my morning has been made. The healthcare bill failed and I just heard MSNBC quoting Moochie talking about Calamity sucking his own dick.

The best thing about the video is you really can see the moment McConnell's soul breaks.

giphy.gif

I don't think anyone should feel like they have to praise the ones who voted no, especially McCain who could have just not voted for the MTP or not shown up at all.. but I also think people need to keep in consideration how much they stuck their neck out by doing it.

Like conservatives are seriously prepared to banish all three to the dead zone with Garlic Jr. for this.

Like that's probably why Heller voted yes even though it likely ends his career in congress. No one wanted to be the reason for shutting it down. All three of them are going to be absolutely shredded by every conservative outlet for this.

I don't think anyone should feel like they have to praise the ones who voted no, especially McCain who could have just not voted for the MTP or not shown up at all.. but I also think people need to keep in consideration how much they stuck their neck out by doing it.

Like conservatives are seriously prepared to banish all three to the dead zone with Garlic Jr. for this.

Like that's probably why Heller voted yes even though it likely ends his career in congress. No one wanted to be the reason for shutting it down. All three of them are going to be absolutely shredded by every conservative outlet for this.

I'll praise Collins and Murkowsky

Constant no through this entire process which meant they needed everyone else to make hard votes

Especially Collins, who was a big thorn in their side the entire time.

jtb

Banned
While I think the likelihood of switching parties now is slim, if Dems only pick up one or two seats (Heller/Flake) in 2018, Collins switching parties has to be a genuine possibility, right?

Assuming she doesn't just run for governor.

Ryuuroden

The trump administration and republican congress is an insult and embarrassment to Nazis across time and space with its inneficiency and incompetence.

Thank God.

And yes, I'm being facitious with my comparison for humors sake...

Murkowski won a write-in, McCain will retire for his term and Collins lives in Maine. Good luck?

jtb

Banned
What committees are Murkowski and Collins on? Gotta grease the gears for some Appropriations chair pork in 2018.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's not forget that Collins and Murkowski weren't even included when forming this bill. McConnell refused to talk to them.

Murkowski won a write-in, McCain will retire for his term and Collins lives in Maine. Good luck?
It isn't so much about winning and losing. There are other republican senators who are popular enough that could have afforded to vote no as well

Let's not forget that Collins and Murkowski weren't even included when forming this bill. McConnell refused to talk to them.

It's more about stuff like this. Collins and Murkowski are forever going to be outside the circle and increasingly have less influence with their constituants. Probably the same with McCain. They'll probably praise him superficially because they have to for pr reasons but I think it's safe to say they'll relegate him to "old man in the back of the room" for the rest of the time he's in the senate

Teggy

Why was McConnell surprised that McCain voted no? Hadn't they just spent an hour unsuccessfully trying to convince him to change his mind?

Why was McConnell surprised that McCain voted no? Hadn't they just spent an hour unsuccessfully trying to convince him to change his mind?

He's been a very reliable vote for basically everything they've wanted to do thus far, despite his 'maverick' moniker. Nobody really believed he would vote against the bill no matter what he said.

This was not the news I was expecting to wake up to. I'm still shocked that he voted correctly when it mattered.

Loxley

The fact that McConnell was in the frame when McCain cast his vote is what makes it so great. Dude just freezes and doesn't know what to do XD

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not much talk about it, but it does deserve a mention.

All of the Dems were in line for this vote, no waffling or questions.

Tester (MT)
Heitkamp (ND)
McCaskill (MO)
Manchin (WV)
Donnelly (IN)

They are all in states that went > 18% towards Trump, and all did the right thing.

Who was it that said we should get rid of Manchin again?

As I've said before, I'm not his biggest fan, but he's a million billion times better than the most "moderate" Republican.

Well we are all aware how often McCain pushes back only to finally give in when the vote is on the floor. McConnell was probably just assuming he'd eventually come around.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Go Republican Senators, Go! Get there after waiting for 7 years. Give America great healthcare!
10:43 PM · Jul 27, 2017

Literally cheerleading the death of Americans.

Gaf, it feels so good. I fell asleep after McCain started hugging people and laughing with Dems. Woke up to see the Maverick came back (this one time).

It's going to be a good day!

So is the ACA safe, at least for the next 24 hours?
I'd say for a couple months.

I think the only way they revisit this again is after trying to push other legislation or something. If things like tax reform or w/e don't go well then I can see them trying to cram it through in a midnight scenario at the last possible moment again

UberTag

He clearly had faith in the "master negotiator" President Man-Baby that he would change the Maverick's mind with that last ditch phone call.

I'd say for a couple months.

I think the only way they revisit this again is after trying to push other legislation or something. If things like tax reform or w/e don't go well then I can see them trying to cram it through in a midnight scenario at the last possible moment again
And it will fail again

The only healthcare vote passing now would be a bi-partisan bill to clean up some loose ends
Please just go home for recess
This has been officially shelved, they're not going to pull a fast one over the weekend

Pixieking

Banned
Obama must be dying of laughter that McConnell can't legislate for shit now he's gone, and that Cornyn can't whip to save his life.

Well, maybe alternating between laughter and weeping at the state of the democratic process in the US is more likely.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dunno. I mean a tweak here or there to get Collins on board would end the whole thing. How could Blanche vote for this knowing McCain wasn't?

Kusagari

There's something hilarious about nobody, including McConnell, believing that McCain would vote against the party line blowing up in their face like this.

Barzul

I dunno. I mean a tweak here or there to get Collins on board would end the whole thing. How could Blanche vote for this knowing McCain wasn't?
The tweak would be removing that PP provision and that loses the religious hawks. I think.

There's something hilarious about nobody, including McConnell, believing that McCain would vote against the party line blowing up in their face like this.

It would be one thing if it was just McCain chilling in the capitol and voting against them, but they flew him across the country and gave him a standing ovation for showing up for the vote.

Like this entire thing could not have backfired more.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The "tweak" that could have worked for McConnell was A) Being honest about the process and B) involving Collins and Murkowski from the beginning.

UberTag

It makes them all look rightfully incompetent in a way that can't be spin doctored away.
Although I'm sure Kellyanne Conway will do her absolute darnedest to try and will fail miserably.

Plinko

My goodness. Go read Bill Mitchell's tweet about McCain. What a scumbag. I'd post the pic but I'm on mobile.

Edit: His entire feed is a trainwreck. He is a psychopath.

Pure sexism on McConnell's part to not involve Collins and Murkowski?

Probably a bit. I think it had more to do with them being more moderate and him being conceited enough to think he could do it on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom