• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

giphy.gif

I like this.

Kusagari

Rachael Bade‏Verified account
@rachaelmbade

Rachael Bade Retweeted Rachael Bade
IN THE ROOM-@SpeakerRyan told conference the House is the most functioning part of government right now; House has done its part 2 repeal

Ryan - Ain't my problem.

Did no one tell him that the GOP was already stretching the rules farther than anyone ever has before to find a way to do this all with 50? Or did someone explain to him that it effectively goes to 60 for everything with them taking up other business? If yes to the later, good luck explaining reconciliation to him. Not that I doubt he's never understood even the tiniest aspect of it. Hell, career political junkies barely understand reconciliation. It's not supposed to be abused like this.
McConnell is a goner.
One can only hope.

Gotchaye

Surely most of the House Rs are happy that this died in the Senate and they can plausibly claim to have done their jobs.

I really want to know if Ryan talking about maybe not going to conference was an attempt to give some Senators cold feet.

Surely most of the House Rs are happy that this died in the Senate and they can plausibly claim to have done their jobs.

I really want to know if Ryan talking about maybe not going to conference was an attempt to give some Senators cold feet.
It was. He didn't want to see the bill again. The AHCA was a punt to begin with.

Gruco

Banned
Random thought - Jeff Flake was absolutely no where in this whole process. Up in 2018, supposedly an adult in the room kind of guy, and his yes was seemingly never in question for a moment. Seems to have hung back entirely under the radar.

Blader

There are a handful of House Rs who are probably not happy about having their names attached to a bill that was never fixed and still earned their votes after it was revealed it would cost over 20 million people health insurance.

Random thought - Jeff Flake was absolutely no where in this whole process. Up in 2018, supposedly an adult in the room kind of guy, and his yes was seemingly never in question for a moment. Seems to have hung back entirely under the radar.

He's going to have McCain voting against and him voting for brought up over and over

Kusagari

Flake is secretly one of the most conservative members of the entire caucus and it's somehow never brought up because he's from a not deep, deep red state and that he spoke out against Trump.

Pixieking

Banned
Oh man, the Warren reference in this WaPo article.

The Daily 202: Trump's hardball tactics backfire as ‘skinny repeal' goes down

Later that day, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke called Murkowski and the state's other Republican senator, Dan Sullivan, to threaten that the Trump administration may change its position on several issues that affect the state to punish Murkowski, such as blocking energy exploration and plans to allow the construction of new roads. ”The message was pretty clear," Sullivan told the Alaska Dispatch News.

Nevertheless, Murkowski persisted. In fact, she took it one step further and demonstrated that she has more leverage over Zinke than he has over her. As chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Murkowski indefinitely postponed a nominations markup that the Interior Department badly wants.

A slap in the face for McConnell, there, if he reads it.

I like the morale boost this gave people

Everyone is optimistic and ready to keep fighting

Having the actual vote fail added more permanence to this. While past indications they were still trying were met with "here we go again... sigh" are now met with ridicule.

Nice

If there still wasn't a lot of time to fuck up the country I would rather them nuke it so it's already waiting whenever dems come back to power

McConnell already destroyed his legacy though so I doubt he's willing to do that

Having the actual vote fail added more permanence to this. While past indications they were still trying were met with "here we go again... sigh" are now met with ridicule.

Nice

Yep, this shows that rallying together, calling, and protesting works.

Nice

Yeah, seriously. Last night, I was thinking I'd need to step away from most political threads here on GAF for a few days, but this turn of events really has ignited some hope for everyone.

It's not over yet, but by god, this is absolutely a win and a much needed one right now.

dramatis

It's probably over for this year but I'm not sure if it will rise from the dead next year.

Granted I really don't think healthcare is a good thing to touch during midterm campaign season.

Hopfrog

It's probably over for this year but I'm not sure if it will rise from the dead next year.

Granted I really don't think healthcare is a good thing to touch during midterm campaign season.

Yeah, I don't think most Republicans will want to touch this with a ten-foot pole during an election year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom