• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI on Reconciliation:

Reconciliation bills can be passed on spending, revenues, and the federal debt limit,[4] once a year per topic unless Congress passes a second budget resolution.[5] As an example, if a reconciliation bill impacts both spending and revenues, no further reconciliation can occur on these topics in the same year without a second budget resolution.[5]

The bill is dead, Jim.

shem935

Banned
If they could have, it would have happened already. The BCRA exists because Senate R's saw the House bill as untenable. Plus the vote for the MTP was to begin debate on the original House bill and the amendments were things like the BCRA, full repeal and the skinny repeal.

Which is funny, because their version is objectively worse

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Was just gonna post this.

In another previously unreported revelation, the two FBI agents said it was the Department of Justice that paid for the hotel room where Lesin died. DOJ officials had invited the Russian to Washington to interview him about the inner workings of RT, the Kremlin-funded network that Lesin founded, they said.

Fucking crazy.

Kevinroc

Didn't the Arizona governor come out against Trumpcare? Couldn't he make sure that, should he have to replace McCain, to appoint someone also against Trumpcare.

(Yeah, we know about Heller, but he was already there.)

Slizeezyc

Didn't the Arizona governor come out against Trumpcare? Couldn't he make sure that, should he have to replace McCain, to appoint someone also against Trumpcare.

(Yeah, we know about Heller, but he was already there.)

Arizona, Ohio, among others, came out against it, yes.

From your quote:

Nothing was passed.

I really don't think Congress is structured like a game, with a limited number of attempts lol.

It's considered, not passed:

Under Senate interpretations of the Congressional Budget Act, the Senate can consider the three basic subjects of reconciliation — spending, revenues, and debt limit — in a single bill or multiple bills, but it can consider each of these three in only one bill per year (unless Congress passes a second budget resolution). Consequently, in the Senate there can be a maximum of three reconciliation bills in a year, one for each of the basic subjects of reconciliation.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-budget-reconciliation

Parliamentary rules are very much like a game.

I reeeeeeally really should get some sleep but I'm desperate to hear Trump live. C'mon, talk shit about a war hero career public servant who has terminal brain cancer. DO IT!

faisal233

It was the longest of cons.

Plus I wouldn't put it past McConnell to wait for McCain to die or become incapacitated so he could get another senator appointed if he knew for sure that McCain was a no.

Can we talk about how hard Zinke fucked himself by threatening Murkowski?

qSKacGU.png

zlcrHtZ.png

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Plus I wouldn't put it past McConnell to wait for McCain to die or become incapacitated so he could get another senator appointed if he knew for sure that McCain was a no.

Can we talk about how hard Zinke fucked himself by threatening Murkowski?
Delicious.

NeoXChaos

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/890942940272627712

Sean T at RCP‏Verified account
Sean T at RCP Retweeted Donovan Rozier
Seen this arg be4. Problem = Rs have maybe 5 seats exposure in 2020. So if they end up gaining a few this year, v. hard to lose the Senate.

Sean T at RCP‏Verified account @SeanTrende 2h2 hours ago
More
Replying to @SeanTrende
It's symptomatic of the bigger issue that there is an emerging fundamental R advantage in the Senate, for now. 20 states w D PVI, vs. 27 R.
More
If you assume that D+2 - R+2 are "true" swing states, then there are 26 R states and just 15 D states. This doesn't mean Rs never lose Sen.

More
It just means that to win the Senate, Ds have to win in some pretty red territory, while the same isn't true for Rs. 4/4

UberTag

The drama leading up to last night's vote alone should constitute its own film. Just make it multi-perspective and tell it from the focus of McCain, Murkowski, Collins, Schumer and McConnell.

All of the plot threads could build up to McCain's vote and cap it off with a flash forward to his state funeral. Queue a bunch of text threads before the end credits how this saved the ACA from virtual ruin and eventually led to single payer and guaranteed health care for every American. Plug in the right stars and it lands a Best Picture nomination a decade from now.

Well yeah, 2020 Senate is basically a game of defense for Dems. Slim to no change at getting a majority. This has been known.
There are some opportunities in 2020. Colorado, North Carolina, Montana, Georgia, Alaska, Maine if Collins is gone. Iowa and Texas as reach states (both going in opposite directions).

There are some opportunities in 2020. Colorado, North Carolina, Montana, Georgia, Alaska, Maine if Collins is gone. Iowa and Texas as reach states (both going in opposite directions).

I think next year's gubernatorial election will be an indicator of how things are going in Georgia. If we win or get close, the Senate candidate has a good chance in 2020. Michelle Nunn laid a lot of valuable groundwork in 2014.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So Heller is still on record as voting yes on repeal. LOL he fucked them all.

I have no idea if he planned this out this way, but he basically hosed all the vulnerable GOP senators.

ACA, hell. He might have just killed tax reform too.

Aye. Whether he intended to or not, he may have just blown up the entire Trump agenda as a final "fuck you" before he left. They needed the money saved from repealing ACA to do tax reform the way they wanted to through reconciliation. That's why they didn't ditch ACA repeal even when it would have made sense to weeks ago.

Huh?

Your defense is literally Gary Peters and Jeanne Shaheen.

I think he meant 2018.

Shaheen's gotten lucky so far, with 2008 being the Obama year and 2014 pitting her against carpetbagger Scott Brown. Thankfully, 2020 will be a presidential year, increasing turnout.

EDIT: corrected on the partisan lean of NH's seats.

I think he meant 2018.

Shaheen's gotten lucky so far, with 2008 being the Obama year and 2014 pitting her against carpetbagger Scott Brown. Thankfully, 2020 will be a presidential year, increasing turnout, and that seat has a history of being Democratic. Hassan's winning Ayotte's historically Republican seat was the surprise.

Jeanne Shaheen has only lost one election, ever, back in 2002 to Sununu. You don't miss. She's a hosuehold name (but yeah, I'm also scared about her because of this).

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING RUNNING SCOTT BROWN.

I think he meant 2018.

Shaheen's gotten lucky so far, with 2008 being the Obama year and 2014 pitting her against carpetbagger Scott Brown. Thankfully, 2020 will be a presidential year, increasing turnout, and that seat has a history of being Democratic. Hassan's winning Ayotte's historically Republican seat was the surprise.
Not really, Shaheen's seat hadn't been held by a Democrat since 78 before her win and Hassan's hadn't until been held since 1980 before hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom