• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

I fail to see the appeal.

I mean, i get what he's going for, a sort of Obama-esque "rise above" kind of appeal, with a similar ideological hew (except for being more hawkish), but that won't work in the age of Trump, especially after Clinton tried a more cynical version of that (appeal to GOPers who were disgusted by Trump). While last night definitely showed that we shouldn't stay on the "fuck all Republicans forever" train, an appeal to unity right now is not what Democrats or moderate Republicans want.

If I had to have a Congressman from Maryland, I'd pick hot Greek daddy John Sarbanes, who'll probably never get anywhere else because he talks like the teacher from Ferris Bueller.

kirblar

If I had to have a Congressman from Maryland, I'd pick hot Greek daddy John Sarbanes, who'll probably never get anywhere else because he talks like the teacher from Ferris Bueller.
Why do you know so much about MD congressional districts?

Did O'Malley's chiseled physique lead you down the rabbit hole?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

1200px-John_Delaney_113th_Congress_official_photo.jpg

I wonder if 2020 will be an ugly primary or if there will be a cooperative agreement to bow out when it's clear you're not a popular choice. Not that there's any evidence for the latter, but after 2016's extremely violent primary season for both parties, I am curious if the team that needs to win might try to look at the bigger picture.

Kusagari

Did McCain secretly hate McConnell or something?

Seems like he solely came back to tank their health care efforts for the year.

kirblar

Did McCain secretly hate McConnell or something?

Seems like he solely came back to tank their health care efforts for the year.
McCain's signature legislation was co-sponsored by Russ Feingold. It was definitely a shot at the leadership, but the problem is that only one side is actually interested in bipartisanship, and McCain himself has actively contributed to the problem by not breaching ranks when he's had ample opportunity to do so at other points.

Ogodei

Announcing before 2018 as a congressman (or a Senator who's up for re-election) is dumb because it tells your constituency that you're not going to be focused on them after that.

Opens the door for a primary challenge in a safe seat or imperils your general chances in an unsafe one.

Announcing before 2018 as a congressman (or a Senator who's up for re-election) is dumb because it tells your constituency that you're not going to be focused on them after that.

Opens the door for a primary challenge in a safe seat or imperils your general chances in an unsafe one.
He's not running in 18.

Why do you know so much about MD congressional districts?

Did O'Malley's chiseled physique lead you down the rabbit hole?

Guilty.

But also, I plan on interning with the Democrats next year (and maybe scoping out teaching positions in VA/MD), so I figured I should try to familiarize myself with all the states and seats. Luckily, my memory has always had a tremendous capacity for useless information, especially when it concerns attractive men.

kirblar

Go w/ VA if possible. MD's geography is really hilly/mountainous and generally unpleasant because of what it does to road layouts there.

Go w/ VA if possible. MD's geography is really hilly/mountainous and generally unpleasant because of what it does to road layouts there.

I've been to the area twice - stayed once in MD and once in VA/DC itself - and have relatives in Manassas. I remember the traffic being a bitch-and-a-half even when I wasn't doing the driving!

kirblar

I've been to the area twice - stayed once in MD and once in VA/DC itself - and have relatives in Manassas. I remember the traffic being a bitch-and-a-half even when I wasn't doing the driving!
It is, the closer you can move to your job, the better, unless you end up commuting to DC (in which case getting close to a Metro stop is probably a good idea.)

What's with the 2700 and 5400 amounts. Seems kinda ... random.
2700 is the max you can donate to any campaign.

But actually 5400 is the max because you can donate 2700 to the general election campaign and 2700 to the primary campaign. There's no rule that you can't use the primary funds in a general election campaign and vice-versa.

Man I am still buzzing from last night. Haven't felt this good since prior to November.

Honestly, haven't felt this good about politics since 2008. This was not only a decisive victory, but a humiliating blow to the Republican party in a way that felt almost cinematic in pacing and timing.

Set up $5 recurring contributions for McCaskill, Donnelly, Jacky, and Heitkmap (you get nothing, Manchin, sorry).

Feels like I can do that easily and end up giving a decent amount by the time the election finally rolls around.

Pyrokai

Man I am still buzzing from last night. Haven't felt this good since prior to November.

Me neither, man. I needed this after a terrible week of work + freaking out over this bill literally for days.

So happy right now. I'm just going to take it in before I start to worry about the next terrifying thing (SCOTUS death/retirement, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom