• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sessions gave up his senate seat for this position.

He ain't gonna quit after less than six months and essentially nothing accomplished.

I also think Trump is going to be hesitant to fire him because it's going to be incredibly hard to get someone more favorable to him confirmed by the senate. Or anyone that would even want the job after how he has treated Sessions.

Sessions is implicated in this scandal somehow so he at least has some sort of need to cover for Trump because he's covering himself in the process. Despite his recusal, someone in sessions' position could be a lot worse for Trump if they don't have at least some desire to not flip on him at any opportunity.

Trump is totally fucking himself by chasing after Sessions so hard, because he 100% is not going to get an AG that will sweep this whole investigation under the rug like he wants. A guy like Sessions that would site executive privilege so he doesn't have to answer questions even when executive privilege doesn't apply is the best he can hope for right now

Can Trump just outright fire him?

yes, but the repercussions would be worse than firing Comey. Its why trump is trying to get him to quit.

firing Sessions tells the other people in his admin, even in the GoP. That trump is a one way street even to his longest supporter from the senate (sessions) and they'd all turn on trump.

It's like Mayweather vs McGreggor. They're both pieces of shit, but I hope they fuck each other up

lets not compare trump to any athlete. he's a fat blob. an orange one at that

Can Trump just outright fire him?

Yes, absolutely. Trump, however is a coward.

Look at how all of the previous dismissals have happened in this White House and campaign. Maggie Haberman outlined this nicely, actually. Don Jr. did the deed to get rid of Lewandowski. It's been reported that Bannon was one to deliver the news to Christie that he was out of the transition team. Same goes for Flynn (i.e. Bannon delivered the news). Who was sent to deliver the letter to Comey? Schiller. The man has no taste for direct confrontation. If he fires Sessions, he'll send a stooge to do it and the political consequences will be severe.

https://t.co/LkH5394Nbd

I can't believe I'm in a world where I'm rooting for Sessions.

I'm reminded of this from Deadspin:
DyFmENU_d.jpg

It's amazing how much Sessions respected Trump to the point he committed perjury for him and now Trump is going around shit talking him, calling him a loser and saying how bad he is at his job.

I still can't get over the fact that the entire Republican party is willing to be loyal to Trump when he would never do the same for anybody.

Wait... we all want Sessions gone right?

Yes and No. Yes because Sessions is a fucking monster and you'd be hard pressed to find someone worse as AG.

No because it would mean that Trump would hire someone to shut down Mueller's investigation.

So the plan is skinny repeal. Then work with House Republicans to "fix" in conference. Then hope that bill passes both chambers.

Seems like they're wasting too much time and it is clear McConnell is just planning for the short term and not the long term when it comes to the process of passing a healthcare bill . The skinny repeal isn't going to pass, but are Senators allowed to put up amendments? If so they bill will take a long time to be put forward.

They also expecting for the negotiations to turn out well. We have been shown that simply isn't the case with the different ideologies in Congress. It might be well into September or October before a plan bill comes to fruition. They simply don't have time to stay on healthcare with midterms, the debt ceiling, government funding bill, tax reform, etc

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Trump is not going to be able to get anyone confirmed who will fire Mueller. If he fired Sessions it would be the central question of the replacement's confirmation hearings.

Has McConnell called Ryan and asked him if he wants to redo the healthcare bill and take a vote again?

I still can't believe the plan is to start at square one all over again. This whole plan basically erases the last 6 months of work, and resets everything, while still having the toxic votes on record.

Paul Ryan needs to make a new bill, needs to call another vote, needs to whip those votes and pass it

Then McConnell has to make a new bill, needs to call another vote, needs to whip those votes and pass it

Then Paul Ryan needs to get a vote for a third time, and pray there are no more changes needed to the bill.

House Republicans will be on record repealing this bill three times in under a year.

PBY

Banned
Has McConnell called Ryan and asked him if he wants to redo the healthcare bill and take a vote again?

I still can't believe the plan is to start at square one all over again. This whole plan basically erases the last 6 months of work, and resets everything, while still having the toxic votes on record.

Paul Ryan needs to make a new bill, needs to call another vote, needs to whip those votes and pass it

Then McConnell has to make a new bill, needs to call another vote, needs to whip those votes and pass it

Then Paul Ryan needs to get a vote for a third time, and pray there are no more changes needed to the bill.

House Republicans will be on record repealing this bill three times in under a year.

The above won't stop this. The house won't be the reason this dies.

Wait... we all want Sessions gone right?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I most certainly do. I know people are concerned about what it means for the special counsel and the possibility of his firing but from where I sit:

1. Jeff Sessions will do irreparable harm to a large swath of people in this country with his dinosaur stances on criminal justice reform, marijuana, voting rights and much more. He's *the* most dangerous cabinet member in this administration. Bar none. The positives of his ouster outweigh the negatives, IMO.

2. If Trump fires Mueller or appoints a recess AG to do it, I wish him luck. The political shit storm will make Comey look like showers on a clear day. I know there isn't much hope/belief in Republicans but I don't believe that his presidency will survive the removal of both Sessions and Mueller. Not with his approvals sitting where they are and with absolutely nothing getting done in Washington.

Ogodei

Yes and No. Yes because Sessions is a fucking monster and you'd be hard pressed to find someone worse as AG.

No because it would mean that Trump would hire someone to shut down Mueller's investigation.

More or less my opinion on the matter. It's hard to tell what would do less damage to the Republic. Sessions staying guarantees bad shit continues to go down at DoJ, but how much of it? Sessions leaving imperils the Mueller investigation, but only if Trump manages to get a loyal replacement through the senate.

Although Sessions staying in his position when he clearly lacks Trump's confidence would be the best of both worlds. Sessions as a lame duck, basically.

JettDash

The plan is to go into conference where the House and Senate work on a bill together.

PBY

Banned
More or less my opinion on the matter. It's hard to tell what would do less damage to the Republic. Sessions staying guarantees bad shit continues to go down at DoJ, but how much of it? Sessions leaving imperils the Mueller investigation, but only if Trump manages to get a loyal replacement through the senate.

Although Sessions staying in his position when he clearly lacks Trump's confidence would be the best of both worlds. Sessions as a lame duck, basically.

Nah, Sessions is still doing tremendous damage even still.

OBAMACARE IS DEATH FOLKS, BELIEVE ME

Bob Herman‏Verified account
@bobjherman
Follow
More
Centene posts huge Q2 profits. Insurer says the ACA "marketplace business continues to be particularly strong."

Sessions was one of Trump's earliest supporters, and was one of the most important; wasn't he the first senator to endorse Trump? I understand being upset with the man, but this behavior is unacceptable, unhinged, and downright pathetic. It's pretty clear that Trump will reward loyalists with jobs but outside of that he offers no loyalty or respect or human decency.

GTI Guy

Schumer basically said that Trump shouldn't even consider a recess appointment of a new AG cause they gonna stop that shit.

The ideal scenario is a repeat of the FBI situation and Trump not being able to get a replacement through so the replacement just keeps the job.

But I'd say he'd try to fire Rosenstein as well if he couldn't get someone above him that did not have to recuse him self to take away authority on the Russia investigation from him.

Realistically anyone Trump does actually manage to get through the senate will be just as shitty agenda wise as Sessions. So Sessions not resigning and things staying the way they are isn't exactly a worst case scenario regardless of how much we hate the guy

Oct. 1 is the beginning of the 2018 fiscal year, yes? Isn't that the deadline for reconciliation until the next budget resolution? Excuse my potentially Trump-level understanding of parliamentary procedure.

Trump firing Sessions is the best case scenario, I feel like.

1. It rids us of Sessions.
2. It will severely erode Trump's support on the right.

Ogodei

Oct. 1 is the beginning of the 2018 fiscal year, yes? Isn't that the deadline for reconciliation until the next budget resolution? Excuse my potentially Trump-level understanding of parliamentary procedure.

Yes. That's the drop-deadline for them being able to do both health care and tax reform before 2018 elections (assuming no nuking of the filibuster). No healthcare law in 2 months, then they're really stuck until the 2019 congress starts (assuming they hold both chambers).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
GOP must be desperate for a win, watch them all vote for the repeal.

You are correct, yes. They would need to pass another budget reconciliation bill at that point.

Of course they need to pass an actual budget, raise the debt ceiling and a myriad of other things, too.:)

Teggy

NORAD & USNORTHCOM @NoradNorthcom

Yesterday, the @POTUS spoke to @boyscouts attending the #2017NationalJamboree about hard work, perseverance & believing in yourself.

Straight propaganda from the govt. holy hell.

If it's Ted Cruz they will if only to get Cruz out of there.

However, Cruz would have to be dumb enough to take the position in the first place.
He isn't. Why would he give up his senate seat to take a job he could just get fired from in two months because he doesn't obstruct justice on a case involving treason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom