• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JettDash

Using the threat of a filibuster, Democrats plan to force the Senate to hold pro forma sessions — a practice both parties have carried out to block recess appointments from presidents of opposite party, Democratic and Republican aides say.

Recess appointments let a president install nominees who normally must be confirmed by the Senate; their terms would run through the end of the "next session" of the Senate, but the "pro forma" sessions essentially means the Senate is never in recess.

While Republicans control the Senate now, the only way they can formally adjourn -- which would set up a period when recess appointments are allowable -- is to pass an adjournment resolution. The problem is that Democrats can filibuster that resolution, which they would do to prevent Trump from making recess appointments.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/politics/trump-recess-appointments/index.html

So the Democrats can keep the Senate in session to prevent Trump from making a recess appointment.

And no, I do not think that the Republicans are going to nuke the filibuster over that.

Is that a new high for disapprove?

I've seen it as high as 60% on the Gallup poll.

Sessions should recuse himself, of course. But I don't want people CHAMPIONING HIM TO STAY? Get him the fuck out of office, resign, get fired, whatever it takes.

I also found the characterization of Sessions in the piece gross.

People "championing" him to not resign want what's worst for the Trump administration.

McConnell pulled that when he was Majority Leader. As Minority Leader there is less you can do. It seems like the most Schumer could do is try to filibuster the recess. I'm not sure that would work, especially since the GOP could just nuke the filibuster in response.

i could've sworn mcconnell started pulling that shit with the pro forma sessions way back in 2012 when the GOP was still in the minority

PBY

Banned
People "championing" him to not resign want what's worst for the Trump administration.

And that's baffling to me given the real, concrete harms that Sessions has done already and will continue to do. Sessions is the greatest real threat to Americans now imo - he can do so much damage just through internal memos that don't need any kind of congressional approval.

Also - that article's characterization of him as some sort of redemptive figure with "some bad acts" in the past is gross.

Sessions should recuse himself, of course. But I don't want people CHAMPIONING HIM TO STAY? Get him the fuck out of office, resign, get fired, whatever it takes.

Just to be clear, people don't want him to resign so Trump would have to fire him :). I don't see what downside you are seeing...

Ogodei

Can we change the thread title to "he’s so unattractive it’s unbelievable"?

Given we made page 20 in a day and things are only heating up in Washington, we'll have a shot at a new thread before August 20th.

Unless they actually do go on recess...

Just to be clear, people don't want him to resign so Trump would have to fire him :). I don't see what downside you are seeing...

Getting rid of Sessions only has a downside of possibly negatively affecting the Russia investigation, which PBY doesn't care about. So no downside to him.

To me, I think giving up on the investigation is a bad idea even though I'll gladly take the political points we'd get from Trump firing Sessions.

Wilsongt

Literally heard a call on NPR a couple of days ago, who allegedly did not vote for Trump, saying the media shouldn't focus so negatively on Trump and that we need to give him a chance.

I. Could. Not. Even.

And that's baffling to me given the real, concrete harms that Sessions has done already and will continue to do. Sessions is the greatest real threat to Americans now imo - he can do so much damage just through internal memos that don't need any kind of congressional approval.

Also - that article's characterization of him as some sort of redemptive figure with "some bad acts" in the past is gross.

People simply want Trump to fire him, rather than him resign. The end result in both cases is that Sessions is out. The former action also causes a massive shitstorm. The latter I guess also causes a shitstorm, but it would be much less even if most people know he "resigned."

But either way, there isn't anyone cheering for him to stay long term. And ultimately, our words don't even matter here. They have no bearing on what happens.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Phil Mattingly‏Verified account @Phil_Mattingly

McConnell: "Any senator who votes against starting debate is telling America you're just fine with continuing the Obamacare nightmare."

Turtle is the worst.

Literally heard a call on NPR a couple of days ago, who allegedly did not vote for Trump, saying the media shouldn't focus so negatively on Trump and that we need to give him a chance.

I. Could. Not. Even.

NPR: "Caller--who are you?"

Caller: "I'm an expert."

NPR: "Who?"

Caller: "OK, you got me. It's Trump."

PBY

Banned
Getting rid of Sessions only has a downside of possibly negatively affecting the Russia investigation, which PBY doesn't care about. So no downside to him.

To me, I think giving up on the investigation is a bad idea even though I'll gladly take the political points we'd get from Trump firing Sessions.

I've never said I don't care about the Russia investigation, so keep putting words in my mouth. I do care about the Russia investigation - I just care about minorities in this country getting absolutely fucked for the next 5 years more.

You clearly don't give a shit about that tho so...

Zolo

I. Could. Not. Even.

For what it's worth, that's still why it took him 8 days to reach majority disapproval instead of starting with it off the bat. That said, it's been 6 months now.

I've never said I don't care about the Russia investigation, so keep putting words in my mouth. I do care about the Russia investigation - I just care about minorities in this country getting absolutely fucked for the next 5 years more.

There's no way Trump won't fire Sessions if he doesn't resign. I mean Trump fired Comney which he didn't really need to fire.

You are giving Trump so much benefit of the doubt for not reason. LOL

PBY

Banned
There's no way Trump won't fire Sessions if he doesn't resign. I mean Trump fired Comney which he didn't really need to fire.

Perhaps, I just don't know if he will pull the trigger. Either way, Sessions has to fucking go.

Blader

You downplay its seriousness all the time. You outright said that you couldn't understand why it was even considered a threat based on Obama's response to it.

He fired Comey by making Sessions and Rosenstein write letters recommending his firing first.

The only person Trump has fired completely on his own was Sally Yates.

Sessions is bad, but I don't think it's egregious to call out how his firing is a direct threat to our Constitutional Democracy.

Welcome to Trump's America, where it's all bad.

All I (and I think others) want is for Trump to fire him over Sessions resigning and giving Trump what he wants. The end result is the same, but one has the Trump administration losing political capital. I don't know what's confusing about that.

Collins casually dissing that dude is amazing. Only thing that would make it better is if she had been talking to Murkowski and we got a good Murkowski reaction face out of it.

Edit: Sessions is a dangerous shithead, but there is very little he can do that cannot be undone in three years, whereas Trump firing Sessions or forcing him to resign, then inevitably implementing a series of moves that result in kiboshing the investigation is irreversible. Plus, Sessions staying amidst amazing tension is a further paralytic administered to an administration already in traction.

Right, Dems just need to not ever talk about it and people should assume it's nothing. Also the posts where you think nothing big actually even happened.

And literally any AG Trump hires will be as bad as Sessions. The only pro to firing him is to make Trump look bad for firing him. Which I want! But don't be so naive in thinking his replacement will be any better.

PBY

Banned
All I (and I think others) want is for Trump to fire him over Sessions resigning and giving Trump what he wants. The end result is the same, but one has the Trump administration losing political capital. I don't know what's confusing about that.

That's fine. That's not what the article I posted is arguing for (even though it raises it as a potential outcome), and that's not what Antrax is arguing for.

Perhaps, I just don't know if he will pull the trigger. Either way, Sessions has to fucking go.

Trump is an idiot. He has proven this time and time again. The lawyers could literally tell him "You will end up in jail if you fire Sessions" and Trump will fire him anyway. :)

I mean anything is possible, but as of now I can't see a scenario where Sessions is there few months from now...

I really don't see Sessions resigning. I think Trump is going to be forced to say his catchphrase and gloriously betray all the people who got him to where he is today. The one thing he hates is being told he can't do something and, considering that's all his people are telling him regarding firing Sessions, it's what he will do.

PBY

Banned
And literally any AG Trump hires will be as bad as Sessions. The only pro to firing him is to make Trump look bad for firing him. Which I want! But don't be so naive in thinking his replacement will be any better.

Any replacement will be better. Sessions has a tremendous hard-on for anachronistic drug and enforcement policy which isn't even in the mainstream anymore. Its just pure racism.

People claiming anyone Trump hires to replace Sessions will be worse than Sessions are fucking off. Not all Republicans are equally evil.

sangreal

I can think of a number of people in Trump's sphere that would be better AGs than Sessions. Try as he might, Trump is not going to stop "the Russia thing" so I don't really care if he fires Sessions. I hope Sessions gets a few broadsides of his own in first though

You downplay its seriousness all the time. You outright said that you couldn't understand why it was even considered a threat based on Obama's response to it.

He fired Comey by making Sessions and Rosenstein write letters recommending his firing first.

The only person Trump has fired completely on his own was Sally Yates.

Sure, he might ask Melania to write a latter, but ultimately everyone will know it's his decision (he will show up on Fox News and say that Melania wrote the letter after the decision) :)

That's fine. That's not what the article I posted is arguing for (even though it raises it as a potential outcome), and that's not what Antrax is arguing for.

I was responding to your post, not the article. I don't really care what Sessions' home state newspaper has to say about him.

There's sooooooooooo much shit happening today at the same time I have no idea wtf to follow or what to try to focus on at any given time. Even republicans in congress can't actually enjoy all this utter chaos that's 100% the fault of the President, right? Like literally 100% of the bullshit in Washington this week is on Trump.

Edit: A quick list: Mooch's threats, Koosh closed session, all the Sessions stuff, absurdly forced MTP vote, confusion on sanctions bill has gone on for ages.

Any replacement will be better. Sessions has a tremendous hard-on for anachronistic drug and enforcement policy which isn't even in the mainstream anymore. Its just pure racism.

Have you met a republican? Or any right wing cops?

Edit: I want to be crystal clear here. Donald Trump will never have a good AG. The war on drugs will not end or even be slowed by any Trump AG. I want Sessions gone (and as a southerner surrounded by his ilk, I'll cheer when he dies the same way I drink beer sometimes while stepping on confederate graves), but his removal will do nothing if it's an unforced resignation. He must be fired, and it must be because of the recusal. Then we get a political win.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, if Sessions is dead set on staying until Trump Fires him, then Rex surely has to be the next one to go, right?

PBY

Banned
I was responding to your post, not the article. I don't really care what Sessions' home state newspaper has to say about him.

Agree - its a local story (although its a defense from the left). I just don't want to see this kind of sentiment grow on the left.

Also, we're in agreement. I'd much prefer if Trump fired him, I just don't know if that's realistic, but there's definitely precedent there.

There's sooooooooooo much shit happening today at the same time I have no idea wtf to follow or what to try to focus on at any given time. Even republicans in congress can't actually enjoy all this utter chaos that's 100% the fault of the President, right? Like literally 100% of the bullshit in Washington this week is on Trump.

Personally I'm just waiting to see if McCain survives the day and if Trump curses when talking about Sessions. Rest is kind of difficult to worry about :)

PBY

Banned
Have you met a republican? Or any right wing cops?

Not all republicans are like Jeff Sessions, and that's a weak defense. He is literally the worst person I can think of at that level of profile for the job.

Unprompted, he's started a war on sentencing, asset forfeiture, and drug programs. He's the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom