• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Well yeah, the con of possibly affecting the Russia investigation doesn't affect you since you don't care about it or think it matters.

No, Sessions is literally the most deplorable person in this administration who has real power to destroy thousands of lives without Congressional approval.

I can't think of anyone worse than Sessions, and yes, that's a challenge.

Penguin

So dumb question, if/when this bill goes to conference and they hammer out their differences, do both chambers need to go back and vote on it with the same margins or does it depend on the bill? Like they can't craft a bill that the Senate would need 60 votes on? And nothing can be changed at that point?

Mike M

Nick N
Schumer basically said that Trump shouldn't even consider a recess appointment of a new AG cause they gonna stop that shit.

I'd be shocked if pro forma sessions aren't a permanent state of affairs from here on out (Schumer would have to be an idiot to give Trump any opportunities, and the GOP will always escalate). Pocket vetos, recess appointments, and the president's ability to call special sessions of Congress are essentially eliminated.

Blader

Trump is not going to be able to get anyone confirmed who will fire Mueller. If he fired Sessions it would be the central question of the replacement's confirmation hearings.

Why would that matter at all? Anyone would just lie.

And people really think there will be no consequences to such a drastic, Nixonian escalation?

I don't really subscribe to the PBY "nothing matters anymore" worldview, but at the same time, I have a tough imagining what those consequences would be, outside of a flood of leaks from the IC (which, while damaging, I'm not sure how they push the case further at all?).

Chuck can sit some random Senator in the senate through the recess and it's still "in session"

McConnell used to pull that all the time.

McConnell pulled that when he was Majority Leader. As Minority Leader there is less you can do. It seems like the most Schumer could do is try to filibuster the recess. I'm not sure that would work, especially since the GOP could just nuke the filibuster in response.

Zolo

Sessions is apparently going to war with Trump and wants to call his bluff:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/jeff-s...ump-his-allies-say-and-he-doesnt-plan-to-quit

giphy-downsized-large.gif

“I know,” Reed replies. “Trust me. Do you know why he challenged you to a duel? ‘Cause you could beat the s— out of him.”

“Well, he’s huge,” Collins replies. “And he — I don’t mean to be unkind, but he’s so unattractive it’s unbelievable.”

“Did you see the picture of him in his pajamas next to this Playboy bunny?” she continues, referring to an infamous photo of Farenthold, below.

L O fucking L

Looks like I was wrong on Moran. He is still "undecided" on the MTP vote:

Lindsay Wise‏ @lindsaywise 1h1 hour ago
More
Kansas Sen. @JerryMoran still undecided on motion to proceed and likely to remain so going into today's GOP lunch, per his office

Maybe looking for some cover or for someone else to jump to no before joining in? It'd be hilarious if both he and Mike Lee kill the whole thing again without telling anyone.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/07/stay_where_you_are_jeff_sessio.html#incart_most-comments
You, sir, are now the thin line of defense protecting American democracy from becoming an autocratic dictatorship.
Goddammnit. The dumbfuck defense pieces on Sessions have started. Fuck this country man.

Just a minor, local story, but it pisses me off to no end.

I don't find anything wrong in this piece. The author even says Sessions will probably get fired anyway. He also repeatedly points out how he doesn't like Sessions (maybe you're unfamiliar with AL.com but it has liberals on staff).

PBY

Banned
I don't find anything wrong in this piece. The author even says Sessions will probably get fired anyway. He also repeatedly points out how he doesn't like Sessions (maybe you're unfamiliar with AL.com but it has liberals on staff).

This piece is the worst thing I've read in a while - repeatedly pointing out "you've done some bad things" while patting him on the back for recusal and encouraging him to stay is fucking disgusting.

I did assume it was a liberal who wrote it - this is the kind of shit that makes people hate "Liberals", and with good reason.

This piece is the worst thing I've read in a while - repeatedly pointing out "you've done some bad things" while patting him on the back for recusal and encouraging him to stay is fucking disgusting.

I did assume it was a liberal who wrote it - this is the kind of shit that makes people hate "Liberals", and with good reason.

I'm confused. Do you actually want the Russia investigation to end? Do you want Sessions to not recuse himself?

PBY

Banned
I'm confused. Do you actually want the Russia investigation to end? Do you want Sessions to not recuse himself?

Sessions should recuse himself, of course. But I don't want people CHAMPIONING HIM TO STAY? Get him the fuck out of office, resign, get fired, whatever it takes.

I also found the characterization of Sessions in the piece gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom