• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

Woah. Trump has an actual press conference scheduled today? He hasn't had an open one for US press since February! So he's planning on baiting Sessions to resign live on camera, and he'll threaten the senate once more before their vote. I'm sure the two of these things combined are incredibly comforting to all the republicans Trump needs to play along right now.

One where he's taking questions? That'll be something.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That first one was craaazy. But Trump has grown as a person and a president, so this one should be more sane.

You almost said that with enough conviction to sound serious.

almost

I was thinking he could go for the lying.

Probably this I expect though even if Sessions' job is much more than a single investigation.
And then all the republicans on TV will be like "Wait we thought Dems wanted Sessions gone??? Why are they crying now?"

Cue reports of White House being blindsided by the outrage. We thought everyone wanted this!!

PBY

Banned
His replacement overrides Rosenstein and will be just as bad on all those other issues because Sessions is not an anomaly. He is doing what the GOP wants him to do!

So having a neutered Sessions there is better than any hypothetical alternative because we can't guarantee that alternative has their hands off of Mueller!

Sessions is much more harsh on drugs and sentencing than the GOP mainstream. Trump doesn't even give a shit about that stuff or understand it.

A "neutered" Sessions also doesn't mean shit, since he can do alot on his own. He just launched this civil asset forfeiture initiative last fucking week, despite BIPARTISAN criticism. You don't give a shit about that though.

That person... doesn't exist? Name that person?

Giulani is just as bad, but wouldn't get confirmed for example.
There are other horrible racists and psychos in law enforcement who Trump could elevate along the lines of Joe Arpaio or David Clarke. One would be Richard Mack of Arizona. Maybe Richard Jones of Cincinnati.

kirblar

Sessions is much more harsh on drugs and sentencing than the GOP mainstream. Trump doesn't even give a shit about that stuff or understand it.
TRUMPS ONLY CONSISTENT POSITION OVER THE PAST FEW DECADES IS THAT HE IS SUPER DUPER MEGA RACIST!

If you don't think that GOP orthodoxy is "do everything we can to fuck minorities", you're delusional. This has been a thing since Reagan.

Blader

It's a win/win for him. He can show he wanted to do something about Obamacare, then vote against the actual bill because it sucks for his state

Heller is a moron if he really sees this as a win/win. Voters hate this kind of talking out of both sides your mouth, and any support for anything related to this bill is going to be easily spun into dozens of attack ads next year.

PBY

Banned
TRUMPS ONLY CONSISTENT POSITION OVER THE PAST FEW DECADES IS THAT HE IS SUPER DUPER MEGA RACIST!

If you don't think that GOP orthodoxy is "do everything we can to fuck minorities", you're delusional. This has been a thing since Reagan.

I do think that. I think Sessions is the roided up version of that.

The top priority right now is that Mueller's investigation is not in anyway impeded or fucked with. Sessions and Rosenstein staying right where they are is the best way to ensure that happens.

Hoping for a replacement that will role back tough on crime policies is ridiculously optimistic

Heller is a moron if he really sees this as a win/win. Voters hate this kind of talking out of both sides your mouth, and any support for anything related to this bill is going to be easily spun into dozens of attack ads next year.

He's backed into a corner, he's looking for that silver lining

You sure about that?
Bold both of them. Idk what sessions is doing that both wouldn't actively be doing either. Whatever addiction commercials Christie did doesn't really matter he's still going to crack down on marijuana on a federal level if given the chance. Called colorado's tax collections from it "blood money" for gods sake.

PBY

Banned
The top priority right now is that Mueller's investigation is not in anyway impeded or fucked with. Sessions and Rosenstein staying right where they are is the best way to ensure that happens.

Hoping for a replacement that will role back tough on crime policies is ridiculously optimistic

You realize there's a chance to remove sessions... and you're like, nah.

Fuck that dude.

PBY

Banned
Bold both of them. Idk what sessions is doing that both wouldn't actively be doing either. Whatever addiction commercials Christie did doesn't really matter he's still going to crack down on marijuana on a federal level if given the chance. Called colorado's tax collections from it "blood money" for gods sake.

Okay, and they would ALSO, unprompted, seek mandatory minimums? Asset forfeiture?

God knows what draconian policies he will seek going forward.

GrapeApes

It's a win/win for him. He can show he wanted to do something about Obamacare, then vote against the actual bill because it sucks for his state
Heller is dumb. Ads will point out he voted for the opportunity to take away healthcare from millions of Americans.

sangreal

I don't agree.

On which part? I don't think Trump has ever bothered to address mandatory minimums for non-violent drug offenders while both Cruz and Christie have good records on the issue (moreso Christie). For Sessions, its part of his favorite pastime so it was no surprise when it was one of the first issues he decided to make worse

I used them as examples because their names have been floated and they're trump loyalists. If you go outside of his sphere, there are tons of Republicans less crazy and less racist than Sessions

kirblar

Okay, and they would ALSO, unprompted, seek mandatory minimums? Asset forfeiture?

God knows what draconian policies he will seek going forward.
Yes. These things have institutional support within the GOP. Cops and "Law and Order" types are part of their base. Rand Paul is an outlier.

You realize there's a chance to remove sessions... and you're like, nah.

Fuck that dude.
Because he recused himself, the authority on the investigation goes to Rosenstein and Mueller. As much as I hate the guy, that might not be the case if he's gone.

We are in the middle of a constitutional crisis involving the take over of our government from a foreign power who has loaded our government with compromised patsies. I think sorting that is more important. Maybe that's wrong, but I don't see the same sort of upside of Sessions being fired as you do. As I am not confident in whoever replaces him to be any better on the things you are hoping them to be better on. I think all that changes is Mueller somehow being impeded

PBY

Banned
On which part? I don't think Trump has ever bothered to address mandatory minimums for non-violent drug offenders while both Cruz and Christie have good records on the issue (moreso Christie). For Sessions, its part of his favorite pastime so it was no surprise when it was one of the first issues he decided to make worse

I used them as examples because their names have been floated and they're trump loyalists. If you go outside of his sphere, there are tons of Republicans less crazy and less racist than Sessions

Exactly.

There are also lots of Republicans who don't agree with his policies on asset forfeiture, which also fucks over minorities.

Because he recused himself, the authority on the investigation goes to Rosenstein and Mueller. As much as I hate the guy, that might not be the case if he's gone.

We are in the middle of a constitutional crisis involving the take over of our government from a foreign power who has loaded our government with compromised patsies. I think sorting that is more important. Maybe that's wrong, but I don't see the same sort of upside of Sessions being fired as you do. As I am not confident in whoever replaces him to be any better on the things you are hoping them to be better on. I think all that changes is Mueller somehow being impeded
You don't think the bolded is a bit hyperbolic?

The press conference is for seemingly after the MTP vote? Ah, so it'll be a bunch of bragging. Heller is a fool. After keeping his shit together for this long I wonder why he breaks now.

btw, your congress is busted if you need your VP to cast a tie-breaker on whether or not to ever discuss a thing.
Is there a time that this press conference supposed to happen?
3ET, sayeth CNN.

kirblar

Exactly.

There are also lots of Republicans who don't agree with his policies on asset forfeiture, which also fucks over minorities.

Those republicans will not be nominated for AG.

sangreal

I'm referring to drug sentencing for non-violent offenders, something Christie has a stellar record on here in NJ -- not legalization. My point wasn't to praise Christie, but to point out that Sessions' pet issues are not the same as every other Republicans'. Even someone who has never taken a stance on the issue would be an upgrade because they would lack Session's devotion to it. Mandatory minimums was just an example, there are other Sessions priorities that Trump might support but not to a zealous degree

As far as I can tell, Trump only mentioned it once saying Pence was great for imposing mandatory mnimums. I don't see any evidence it is a real priority of his rather than Sessions who has championed such efforts forever

PBY

Banned
That's your answer for anything: "We can't possible know!"

We can make some very, very informed estimates.

My answer is I think 99.9999% of potential nominees will be better than Sessions. So get this fucking dude out of power.

For Christ's sake, Sessions will be gone one way or the other. Better Trump is forced to fire him than he quit. Nobody wants him to stay indefinitely.

kess

Exactly.

Since this got lost in the news this morning, I might as well post it here:

Trump Pick for Justice Department Worked for Russia Bank
President Trump's nominee to lead the Justice Department's criminal division, Brian Benczkowski, has disclosed to Congress that he previously represented Alfa Bank, one of Russia's largest financial institutions, whose owners have ties to President Vladimir Putin," the New York Times reports.

”Alfa Bank was at the center of scrutiny last year over potential ties between the Trump campaign and Russia after computer experts discovered data suggesting a stream of communications between a server linked to the Trump Organization and a server linked to the bank. Reports about the mysterious data transmissions fueled speculation about a back channel."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sessions replacement would not be 100% as bad as him, but the GOP and Trump will have no problem eagerly putting up someone who is 85% as bad as him. The math isn't "Mueller investigation" vs "significantly less racist AG", its "Mueller investigation" vs "fractionally less racist AG"

I'm not sure if there's a correct answer there, admittedly.

Assuming that is the case until an investigation is thoroughly laid out showing how deep this goes and just how much Russia has compromised or influenced government officials, no. I don't think it is. I think it should be the assumption until proven otherwise.

I would like to assume McConnell, Ryan and others are dragging their feet just for partisan gains.. but it could be worse than that. Mueller's investigation is too important to be fucked with right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom