• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way Trump won't fire Sessions if he doesn't resign. I mean Trump fired Comney which he didn't really need to fire.

You are giving Trump so much benefit of the doubt for not reason. LOL
He had recommendations from Rosenstein and Sessions, he has no recommendations now lol

Woah. Trump has an actual press conference scheduled today? He hasn't had an open one for US press since February! So he's planning on baiting Sessions to resign live on camera, and he'll threaten the senate once more before their vote. I'm sure the two of these things combined are incredibly comforting to all the republicans Trump needs to play along right now.

Uhhhhhh that AL.com article is absolutely fine. It acknowledges Sessions as being an anachronistic, racist shithead but points out, correctly, that Sessions quitting is, nevertheless, the worse outcome in this case because the reason he would quit, as well as the likely outcome, would be even worse than him staying and implementing harmful (but reversible, and likely to be supported by most replacement AGs who would agree to work for Trump) practices.

When 'liberal' internet trolls are saying Sessions needs to go because it's going to help PoC, we need Sessions to stay as long as possible.

Whoever replaces Sessions will enact and support the exact same policies plus try to shut down the Russia investigation.

Sessions needs to try to stay. Also the longer he does the more the GOP eats itself from within.

kirblar

When 'liberal' internet trolls are saying Sessions needs to go because it's going to help PoC, we need Sessions to stay as long as possible.

Whoever replaces Sessions will enact and support the exact same policies plus try to shut down the Russia investigation.

Sessions needs to try to stay. Also the longer he does the more the GOP eats itself from within.
Exactly.

The idea that Sessions is an outlier is ludicrous.

PBY

Banned

Lmao fuck this.

Blader

Not all republicans are like Jeff Sessions, and that's a weak defense. He is literally the worst person I can think of at that level of profile for the job.

Unprompted, he's started a war on sentencing, asset forfeiture, and drug programs. He's the worst.

Not that he would get the job, but Giuliani would be exactly the same on all these fronts.

Rand Paul is a yes now...

I'm nervous as hell

Rand has been saying he would vote yes on MTP if McConnell would put a repeal-only amendment to vote on too.

What you should be nervous about is not whether Rand votes yes on MTP, but whether he decides to vote for a skinny repeal after seeing his repeal-only push die on the floor.

This bill is never going to be dead. The ACA will become an abortion style issue for the GOP, and will continue to be campaigned against for awhile longer.
Yes but at least if this dies before the August recess we will have bought a couple more months of stalling them moving forward. I want some more Russia leaks to be coming while this is stuck in the mud.

Conservative outlet, but #finetunedmachine:

http://theresurgent.com/cabinet-lev...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Cabinet Level Revolt Over Trump’s Treatment of Jeff Sessions. “A Clusterf**k” One Secretary Calls It.

“If he can get treated that way, what about the rest of us?” one of the President’s Cabinet secretaries asked me with both shock and anger in his voice. I am told reports about Rex Tillerson (not who I talked to) are legitimate. He is quite perturbed with the President’s treatment of his Attorney General and is ready to quit. Secretary Mattis (also not who I talked to) is also bothered by it. They and other Cabinet members are already frustrated by the slow pace of appointments for their staffs, the vetoes over qualified people for not being sufficiently pro-Trump, and the Senate confirmation pace.

In fact, the Cabinet secretary I talked to raised the issue of the White House staff vetoes over loyalty, blasting the White House staff for blocking qualified people of like mind because they were not pro-Trump and now the President is ready to fire the most loyal of all the Cabinet members. “It’s more of a clusterf**k than you even know,” the Cabinet secretary tells me about dealing with the White House on policy. It is not just Tillerson ready to bail.

Jeff Sessions was with President Trump early. He was the earliest member of the Senate and the earliest politician of his prominence to come out in support of President Trump. He had his back repeatedly, defended the absurd, and is in the mess he is in because he took on so many duties within the campaign to help the President when few even thought Trump could win.

And he is being rewarded by a President throwing him under the bus. Neither the Cabinet secretary I talked to nor anyone else in the White House I talked to believes the Washington Post story about Jeff Sessions meeting with Russians came from anywhere other than the White House. “The President does not like to fire people, believe it or not,” a senior White House staffer told me. “But putting the AG in an untenable position could get him to quit. The President is passive aggressive.” (See e.g. his recent treatment of Priebus over the Scaramucci hiring)

*googles 25th amendment*

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at anyone thinking Trump would nominate a more moderate republican like Romney or Jeb! as AG. Give me a break. He's going to pick someone just as racist and vile as Sessions.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I know it is Claude Taylor, so this is just rumor gossip stuff, but that NY AG case sure does sound juicy! Potential under-age Russian models being imported into the US and associated with a Trump modeling agency to serve powerful people.

Woo lad that would be the type of stuff if it had evidence would turn even the most hardcore supporter.

sangreal

Aside from immigration, and "blue lives matter", Session's policies are not Trump's policies so no, a better AG would not enact and support the exact same policies. For instance, harsher drug sentencing is not a Trump policy and is not something an AG Christie or AG Cruz would have enacted

The only person Trump would nominate as bad as Sessions is Giuliani

PBY

Banned
LOL at anyone thinking Trump would nominate a more moderate republican like Romney or Jeb! as AG. Give me a break. He's going to pick someone just as racist and vile as Sessions.

That person... doesn't exist? Name that person?

Giulani is just as bad, but wouldn't get confirmed for example.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Again, people need to stop saying this. They approved Betsy DeVos and countless others who were completely unqualified but had connections.

GTI Guy

Woah. Trump has an actual press conference scheduled today? He hasn't had an open one for US press since February! So he's planning on baiting Sessions to resign live on camera, and he'll threaten the senate once more before their vote. I'm sure the two of these things combined are incredibly comforting to all the republicans Trump needs to play along right now.

Is there a time that this press conference supposed to happen?

Zolo

Trump is going to fire Sessions and say that Sessions had conflict of interest over Russia investigation. It will happen.

That would be pretty bad since Sessions has already recused himself. His position also means doing more than just protecting Trump (which isn't actually part of the job description at all).

PBY

Banned
Aside from immigration, and "blue lives matter", Session's policies are not Trump's policies so no, a better AG would not enact and support the exact same policies. For instance, harsher drug sentencing is not a Trump policy and is not something an AG Christie or AG Cruz would have enacted

The only person Trump would nominate as bad as Sessions is Giuliani

This.

Sessions is doing all kinds of heinous shit totally umprompted that no one asked for (and that many people don't even realize he's doing).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That would be pretty bad since Sessions has already recused himself. His position also means doing more than just protecting Trump (which isn't actually part of the job description at all).

"Sessions was not able to effectively do his job due to recusing himself" Bamn, done.

kirblar

Where on earth are you getting this idea that there isn't a massive backbench of racist motherfuckers ready to replace Sessions if need be!

Teggy

I know it is Claude Taylor, so this is just rumor gossip stuff, but that NY AG case sure does sound juicy! Potential under-age Russian models being imported into the US and associated with a Trump modeling agency to serve powerful people.

Woo lad that would be the type of stuff if it had evidence would turn even the most hardcore supporter.

Trump supporter: he was creating jobs.

Seriously, it's hard to imagine what trump supporters wouldn't overlook at this point.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So, let me get this straight. McConnell has to be presenting a specific bill for this motion to proceed, right? He's not playing some game where he can somehow see what that vote is and then sub in whatever bill he thinks looks more likely given the motion's vote outcome?

"Well he didnt really recuse himself did he? And he lied during confirmation!"

Its the most Trumpian firing and excuse ever.

PBY

Banned
Where on earth are you getting this idea that there isn't a massive backbench of racist motherfuckers ready to replace Sessions if need be!

SHOCKED that you want him to stay.

I think it will be very hard to find someone at that profile with a hard on for drug crimes, mass incarceration and harsh sentencing, with a specific eye toward brown people, give that Sessions' policies aren't really even mainstream GOP ideas or ideas that Trump even cares about. But, Trump has smashed expectations in the past - I just want the chance to remove Sessions.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Lmao fuck this.

I don't think you understand the core problem.

Anyone who is willing to take the job, will probably be no better than Sessions.
That first bit is important.

Again, people need to stop saying this. They approved Betsy DeVos and countless others who were completely unqualified but had connections.

My one single glimmer of hope is that they realize the next AG is the one who will have to take Trump to the cleaners.

I've suspected for a long time now that the GOP would be much more willing to hang Trump regarding all this Russia stuff once the repeal and taxes are done.

My only piece of evidence is that congress is about to pass a law adding sanctions and stripping Trump's right to impose or reduce without congresses approval. To me that's a massive shot across his bow.

Zolo

"Well he didnt really recuse himself did he? And he lied during confirmation!"

Its the most Trumpian firing and excuse ever.

I was thinking he could go for the lying.

"Sessions was not able to effectively do his job due to recusing himself" Bamn, done.
Probably this I expect though even if Sessions' job is much more than a single investigation.

kirblar

SHOCKED that you want him to stay.
His replacement overrides Rosenstein and will be just as bad on all those other issues because Sessions is not an anomaly. He is doing what the GOP wants him to do!

So having a neutered Sessions there is better than any hypothetical alternative because we can't guarantee that alternative has their hands off of Mueller!

greatgeek

Banned
That first one was craaazy. But Trump has grown as a person and a president, so this one should be more sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom