• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

Banned
So, it's Monday. This was from last Sunday:

Washington (CNN) White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said Sunday that President Donald Trump would make a decision "this week" on whether to continue government payments to insurance companies to help lower costs for lower-income policyholders under Obamacare.

"He's going to make that decision this week," Conway said of the so-called cost-sharing reduction payments in an interview on "Fox News Sunday." And that's a decision that only he can make."
Anyone going to ask Conway about this? Trump & Co. have really mastered the "I'll tell you next week" knowing that everyone will forget because they've lit 5 more dumpster fires along the way.

Fucking pathetic.

DGp7KNYVoAEpX68.jpg

Anyone going to ask Conway about this? Trump & Co. have really mastered the "I'll tell you next week" knowing that everyone will forget because they've lit 5 more dumpster fires along the way.

Fucking pathetic.
Why bother? The standard bullshit response will be "The president is a busy man blah blah blah", even though he's golfing out there. I wouldnt grief too much about things that they can stretch.

Fucking pathetic.

Remember when he was going to get back in 24 hrs to the reporter who asked about Hezbollah in Southern Lebanon?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Fucking pathetic.
Aren't we still waiting on his clarified position on Hezbollah? Trump said he'd provide that within 24 hours on July 25th. Still waiting.

This is really pathetic. What's with all the attacks against this Senator and the NYT today?
Blumenthal is on the Senate Russia panel investigating Trump, and he was on a Sunday talk show this weekend. Guess who was sitting in his underwear in bedminster, NJ watching fake news over the weekend.

20111029_WOC689.gif

The promise of shared prosperity is the sole reason for the multitudinous back breaking sacrifices we make for the well-being of the rich and powerful. It's why we don't raise taxes. It's why we contemplate entitlement reform. It's why we fiscally buckle our belts even though college tuition is at an all time high. It's why we have a private healthcare system. They are the wealth makers, and will help us be rich. But really, we've been making them rich. In tax breaks, in loopholes, in fiscal "austerity".
I've been trying to take a break from US poligaf but I just need to pop in and say I still have no idea whether to read you as socdem or Third Way Clintonite and your posts continue to boggle my brain lol

pigeon

Banned
America might not be technically an ethnostate, but that's only because our multicultural and pluralistic settler character made "white" a much more practical political focal point than "Protestant" or "English". The liberal elements in our constitution were written with the intention of protecting white male property-owners, rather than the majority of people who were women or slaves or poor white laborers. You know this.

Debatable -- and indeed heavily debated for literally decades at the time -- and certainly untrue after the second founding in 1865.

Suggesting that our foundational character is somehow less exclusionary than that of any European country is a really ridiculous proposition, because countries like France and Denmark weren't carved out through such a rapid and genocidal seizure as the American conquest.

...yes they...were? I mean there wasn't a huge plague that killed 99% of the local population and caused a disintegration of their social structure, but otherwise, seems mostly similar?

The comparison with Israel is a lot more apt, because in both circumstances settlers declared that they had the right to live in another populated territory, and used violent force to remove and subdue the indigenous people. While Zionism has not contributed to as much slaughter and cultural annihilation as Manifest Destiny, it's the most dangerous settler-colonial ideology active in the world right now.

I mean, the "settlers" in question had previously lived in that territory before it was colonized by other people. What's the statute of limitations of colonization?

As kirblar suggests -- can you answer the question of whether you think Israel has a right to exist?

pigeon

Banned
I've been trying to take a break from US poligaf but I just need to pop in and say I still have no idea whether to read you as socdem or Third Way Clintonite and your posts continue to boggle my brain lol

Political classification is how the rentiers divide us.

Why are you taking a break? Is it because we're all assholes?

Ernest

Banned
Can't stop, WON't stop winning!

Rubio: Trump's new immigration bill won't pass
Julia Munslow 1 hour 19 minutes ago

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is predicting that the new immigration plan backed by President Trump will be short-lived and that the sweeping proposal won't pass the Senate.

”That bill's not going to pass," Rubio told CBS4 on Sunday. ”I think the White House knows you don't have 60 votes for that in the Senate."

LOL

Little Marco getting back!

Political classification is how the rentiers divide us.

Why are you taking a break? Is it because we're all assholes?
in general I want to be Less Online and just got tired of people drudging up rando Intercept writer tweet or some random dumb reddit Bernie meme to be mad about and thought it would be good to just take a chill break, also didn't want to say anything stupid that I'd regret during Coopergate

though while I'm in here I'm trying to find a list of democratically elected ethnic/racial/religious minority heads of government, so far I have Obama, Manmohan Signh (Indian Sikh), Benjamin Disraeli (Jewish British), and Alberto Fujimori (Japanese Peruvian), did I miss any? Obviously a case like South Africa where the majority is denied political franchise doesn't count.

Rubio: Trump’s new immigration bill won’t pass

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is predicting that the new immigration plan backed by President Trump will be short-lived and that the sweeping proposal won’t pass the Senate.

“That bill’s not going to pass,” Rubio told CBS4 on Sunday. “I think the White House knows you don’t have 60 votes for that in the Senate.”

LOL

Good news. I lope little Marco is right.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is predicting that the new immigration plan backed by President Trump will be short-lived and that the sweeping proposal won’t pass the Senate.

“That bill’s not going to pass,” Rubio told CBS4 on Sunday. “I think the White House knows you don’t have 60 votes for that in the Senate.”

LOL

Please, that shit doesn't even have 50.

pigeon

Banned
in general I want to be Less Online and just got tired of people drudging up rando Intercept writer tweet or some random dumb reddit Bernie meme to be mad about and thought it would be good to just take a chill break, also didn't want to say anything stupid that I'd regret during Coopergate

though while I'm in here I'm trying to find a list of democratically elected ethnic/racial/religious minority heads of government, so far I have Obama, Manmohan Signh (Indian Sikh), Benjamin Disraeli (Jewish British), and Alberto Fujimori (Japanese Peruvian), did I miss any? Obviously a case like South Africa where the majority is denied political franchise doesn't count.

Some might say John F Kennedy, but it's debatable at best.

Leo Varadkar is the incoming Indian-Irish Taoiseach (also first openly gay taoiseach).

Diablos

Fucking pathetic.
Congress needs to step in and address this. They won't of course. Just let the ACA fail etc

Any more word on the bipartisan effort to 'fix' the ACA besides Schumer's brief comments?

Please, that shit doesn't even have 50.
It really doesn't.

The best bet for the CSRs would be for Pelosi to get them included in the budget. Good thing she has a sizable amount of bargaining power because of Ryan's fractured caucus.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The best bet for the CSRs would be for Pelosi to get them included in the budget. Good thing she has a sizable amount of bargaining power because of Ryan's fractured caucus.

Honestly, that's what the bargaining power should be used for. If it fails, it's good material for the Dems in 2018.

I'm not sure what else they could leverage for that does not have a chance to backfire.

Isn't there already blood in the water to sue the administration if they don't make the payments or am I thinking of one of the other things States are threatening to sue for?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think America is quite clearly an ethnostate.

There is a group of people living within the American state who perceive one another as being 'true' Americans and as sharing a common tradition (e.g. there is an ethnicity that claims to be distinctly American).

There is a political movement that is implicitly claiming to represent the interests of the above-mentioned American ethnicity (the Republican Party).

This political movement controls most of the state organs.

How is this not an ethnostate?

sphagnum

Banned
I mean, the "settlers" in question had previously lived in that territory before it was colonized by other people. What's the statute of limitations of colonization?

TBF the Israelites weren't the first people in the Holy Land either.

Also TBF we should hand over the Americas to the original inhabitants, the Lamanites and Nephites.

Also keep up the good work offline Comrade Bonen.

pigeon

Banned
I think America is quite clearly an ethnostate.

There is a group of people living within the American state who perceive one another as being 'true' Americans and as sharing a common tradition (e.g. there is an ethnicity that claims to be distinctly American).

There is a political movement that is implicitly claiming to represent the interests of the above-mentioned American ethnicity (the Republican Party).

This political movement controls most of the state organs.

How is this not an ethnostate?

Are you arguing it wasn't an ethnostate before 2016 and will cease to be an ethnostate in 2018 if the Dems take the House?

This definition of the term would seem pretty flaccid if it fluctuates based on the results of individual elections. I think people would expect it to be a little more consistent than that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Dafydd Llwyd, or David Lloyd George to the English.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are you arguing it wasn't an ethnostate before 2016 and will cease to be an ethnostate in 2018 if the Dems take the House?

This definition of the term would seem pretty flaccid if it fluctuates based on the results of individual elections. I think people would expect it to be a little more consistent than that.

I mean, the American constitution systemically favours the election and representation of this political group, and there are consistent actions to disenfranchise those outside the group. Even if the Democrats get into power, the institutional power of the self-proclaimed American ethnicity is largely preserved, no? It's not a 'perfect'/holotypic ethnostate, but on the spectrum of 0% to 100% ethnostate, among the class of developed nations it's further towards ethnostate than most.

kess

Interesting... searching "alabama senate special election" on Google returns a first result of "Anti-Trump Mo Brooks, wrong for Alabama" as the first result (as an ad). I don't think I've ever seen that in such a high profile Republican primary before.

NoName999

I don't know if this had been posted already but a mosque in Minnesota has been bombed.

No one was injured in the blast at Dar Al-Farooq Islamic Center in Bloomington, Minn., which took place as a small number of worshipers gathered shortly after 5 a.m. Mohamed Omar, the center's executive director, said in an interview that he was inside the mosque preparing for morning prayers when he felt a ”huge explosion" that quickly caused smoke and flames. Omar said another person present later told him he had heard the sound of a window breaking and then a pickup truck fleeing outside.

God fucking damnit! And I don't think the "Muslim loving" "liberal" TV media reported on this.

Better Than What?

When the Democratic Party rolled out its “Better Deal” language in July, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi each wrote op-eds promoting an agenda whose subtitle is, “Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future.”

But it was disappointing to see both Sen. Schumer and Leader Pelosi echo Kaine’s unsupportable claims for worker retraining in their respective op-eds. Schumer wrote that “millions of unemployed or underemployed people particularly those without a college degree, could be brought back into the labor force or retrained to secure full-time, higher-paying work.”

The only concrete proposal he offers, however, is a training tax credit for businesses that’s unlikely to make a dent in unemployment. It won’t reduce inequality, either. As economist Lawrence Mishel wrote in 2011: “… workers face a wage deficit, not a skills deficit.”

Today we see the logical end-point of that ideology in the “Uberization” of American labor, as increasing numbers of workers are forced to scrabble like crabs in a barrel for low-paying piece work – or worse, as with Uber, are pressured to go into debt for car loans they must assume in order to “compete”

It’s no coincidence that high-ranking Democratic operatives have been associated with both Uber and its major competitor, Lyft.

https://www.alternet.org/labor/uber-democrats-workers-should-cooperate-not-compete

Ogodei

Donald Tusk of Poland is from the Kashubian ethnic minority group, a tiny group in Poland.

Dilma Roussef in Brazil was Bulgarian-Brazilian.

jtb

Banned
hot take: pointless, dumb Twitter beefs actually have political ramifications because everyone is on Twitter

therefore, they are just pointless dumb beefs

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
hot take: pointless, dumb Twitter beefs actually have political ramifications because everyone is on Twitter

therefore, they are just pointless dumb beefs

*beeves

New poll shows 32% approval.

At what number will a Republican - not a Democrat, a Republican - finally float the magic I-word? Jeff Flake talked around it last week, but I want to hear one of them say it.

LOL

No healthcare. No immigration. And we're like a week away from "tax reform looks like it could face problems" Politico headlines.

I think Reagan was onto something with all the graphs.

He sold junk economic theories to people because the lines went up on a spread sheet

Maybe that's what democrats need to do with trade. And maybe promise free jelly beans to whoever tunes in to look at it

NoName999

Then we'll have the media, Republicans, and the left complain about the Democrats being seen as liars. (All while not holding Republicans to the same standard)

And then these same yokels wonder why politicians lie. Probably because the idiot population doesn't want to hear the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom