• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it damn offensive that you think people applauding a colleague recovering from brain surgery for cancer is out of bounds.

I find it damn offensive that you think people applauding a man who used taxpayer funds for his brain cancer to come back to Washington to take away health insurance from 22 million people.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
He'll vote for whatever ends up being the bill. Tough talk, zero fucking action. McCain in a nutshell. Give him a little pork for AZ and he's in.

I ain't going to bat for McCain, who is an old spineless coward, but I can't say I've ever heard him say on the Senate floor he wouldn't vote for a bill and that it's likely to fail before.

Would not in any way surprise me to see him reverse though, to be clear.

Owzers

Only an idiot would vote for this.

Votes for this.

Votes to proceed when they don't have a bill

Makes speech about getting back to regular order.

Boke1879

I'm just not going to get upset and worked up over people clapping for a colleague coming back from brain surgery.

I will get pissed at him for his vote though.

Kusagari

If every senator held a grudge against everyone who ever disagreed with them once, no senator would ever talk to another.

Some of you guys should listen to McCain's speech.

His speech is worthless fucking grandstanding.

He's going to vote for whatever piece of shit they serve to him.

He knows it, congress knows it and we all know it.

PBY

Banned
DFmmHHGXkAQswcu.jpg

Welp

Zolo

I ain't going to bat for McCain, who is an old spineless coward, but I can't say I've ever heard him say on the Senate floor he wouldn't vote for a bill and that it's likely to fail before.

Would not in any way surprise me to see him reverse though, to be clear.

It reinforces the idea that the successful amendment votes will make it better.

Don't believe a fucking word out of McCain's mouth. If he wanted this shit to die, he wouldn't of shown up. He could've just been with his family in peace. Anything less is bullshit.

He'd still go yea on absolutely any bill that came to the floor. Any. Which is why this is a new, epic tier of complete bullshit. If he actually wanted to start over he'd have stayed home and forced a new bill. What a bastard.

studyguy

They held up the vote for McCain to come back, really surprised people in here are shook over him voting for it to proceed. Come on.

So it seems like he voted for MTP because he thinks all the current proposals will fail? Seems odd to me cause I feel like if the MTP failed they could start the bipartisan talks anyways.

Hopfrog

Democrats lose either way there in terms of "optics". Applaud McCain and liberals attack them for applauding someone who wants to kill Obamacare and take health-care away from millions. Don't applaud him (and remember that many Dems are friends with him and have worked with him for years) and Fox and the right-wing media attack the Dems for refusing to honor a war hero with brain cancer.

Pick your poison essentially.

I just switched over to watching my town counsel debate over whether or not cookies and soda should be cut from funding in the board of education budget.

State level politics are a lot easier to follow

PBY

Banned
Democrats lose either way there in terms of "optics". Applaud McCain and liberals attack them for applauding someone who wants to kill Obamacare and take health-care away from millions. Don't applaud him (and remember that many Dems are friends with him and have worked with him for years) and Fox and the right-wing media attack the Dems for refusing to honor a war hero with brain cancer.

Agreed. Corey Booker didn't have to fucking hug him immediately after the vote though.

Matt Fuller‏Verified account @MEPFuller 9s9 seconds ago
More
This McCain speech would have a little more oomph if he had taken his own advice and voted against poor congressional procedure.

Igor Bobic‏Verified account @igorbobic 6m6 minutes ago

“Let's return to regular order,” McCain says, moments after voting for motion to proceed to mystery bill

Pretty much this

Owzers

McCain is terrible but he's still their colleague, and he's not even Ted Cruz, embrace him on his return if they want to.

Don't believe a fucking word out of McCain's mouth. If he wanted this shit to die, he wouldn't of shown up. He could've just been with his family in peace. Anything less is bullshit.

Remember when he said something about what a stupid idiot someone would be for blowing up the filibuster to get Gorsuch confirmed?

....and then he voted to do just that? Right.

I was really hoping there was some decency in McCain, deep down, that maybe staring down his own mortality would cause to resurface.

Shame.

Zolo

The better option is to applaud him. The vast majority of people even on the left aren't going to hold anything against applauding someone with brain cancer.

PBY

Banned
The better option is to applaud him. The vast majority of people even on the left aren't going to hold anything against applauding someone with brain cancer.

None of it matters. Trump said he wasn't a hero and he's fucking president.

Winning matters.

Thaedolus

jtb

Banned
Agreed. Corey Booker didn't have to fucking hug him immediately after the vote though.

Well, that's why Cory Booker is an idiot who is not going to be the next president, thankfully.

None of it matters. Trump said he wasn't a hero and he's fucking president.

Winning matters.

Unfortunately, this is the downside for being the party that defends norms, institutions and the like.

Hey, the Senate just moved forward with potentially taking away insurance from millions of people.

In the grand scheme of things, whether Cory Booker hugged someone or the Democrats clapped doesn't really seem all that important when, by the end of the week, millions might be staring down the very real possibility they will die a lot younger than they should be.

Hopfrog

I agree that they chose the better option, but we have already seen a few people on this thread attack them for it. Out there in the social media echo chamber there will be more than a few calling for Dem heads because of it.

Oriel

Booing and/or giving the cold shoulder to a man recovering from life saving brain surgery?! The fuck is wrong with some of you?

Hey, the Senate just moved forward with potentially taking away insurance from millions of people.

In the grand scheme of things, whether Cory Booker hugged someone or the Democrats clapped doesn't really seem all that important when, by the end of the week, millions might be staring down the very real possibility they will die a lot younger than they should be.

Sure. In this moment, you can still be mad about something that is small on the grand scheme of things!

Booing and/or giving the cold shoulder to a man recovering from life saving brain surgery?! The fuck is wrong with some of you?

Sometimes people with brain cancer are bad people.

Mike M

Nick N
Seems likely that McConnell can wrangle some POS bill built out of amendments with the promise of fixing it in committee at this point.

PBY

Banned
I agree that they chose the better option, but we have already seen a few people on this thread attack them for it. Out there in the social media echo chamber there will be more than a few calling for Dem heads because of it.

There will but it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom