• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Dems applauding McCain is bad

No it isn't. They had to do that or the Fox evening headline writes itself. It's not something most people would begrudge them off, applauding a colleague diagnosed with brain cancer returning to work. I mean I hate the man and I'm liberal as fuck and I can't even hold that against them.

sangreal

Unbelievable that McCain could vote yes here after saying just literally days ago that it was time to go back to a normal bipartisan process on healthcare.

I mean, I believe it. But sometimes the hypocrisy smacks you in the face so quick and hard that it's still a little surprising.

his bullshit has nothing on Capito

DFmdK9ZXcAEN336.jpg

DFmdWG8XUAA_RsZ.jpg

So, is the skinny repeal expected to pass?

People are thinking that McCain's return signals McConnell's confidence in passing the skinny repeal.

People are also thinking that McCain's return signals McConnell's desperation just to get to an MTP and that things won't get any further.

We won't know until later today/tomorrow one way or another really.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is why the whole "this isn't ever going to happen" stuff is meaningless. People were confident McCain wouldn't come back, and yet here he is pushing this forward.

MTP is to debate the various bills like the BCRA, 2015 repeal bill, and the skinny bill, but weren't they doing that before( not including the skinny bill and repeal bill)? It looks like not much has changed. They still have to whip up votes for a skinny bill.

sangreal

MTP is to debate the various bills like the BCRA, 2015 repeal bill, and the skinny bill, but weren't they doing that before? It looks like not much has changed. They still have to whip up votes for a skinny bill.

they were negotiating before, now they will actually vote on the amendments

MTP is to debate the various bills like the BCRA, 2015 repeal bill, and the skinny bill, but weren't they doing that before? It looks like not much has changed. They still have to whip up votes for a skinny bill.
BCRA and 2015 repeal still don't have the votes, but the light at the end of the tunnel just got a lot smaller.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If this passes, this is tantamount to political suicide. A new bill will almost assuredly make health care less affordable in this country, and effects will be seen long before November 2018.

Loxley

How long do they have to debate before they must vote?
No one has any idea whatsoever what comes next for debate (or no debate), amendments (or no amendments), or time frame. Literally nothing. There is no actual plan that exists that could pass right now.

Plinko

Honestly, applauding McCain means nothing.

PBY

Banned
Nah, fuck McCain.

Its the norms / gentility over actual policy point that the leftists constantly fling at Libs.

Its mostly misguided, but its accurate with respect to McCain.

Don't think the ovation for McCain is a big deal either way.

So, because he votes against you 99% of the time, you can't appreciate a fellow colleague successfully beating cancer.

Great.

When that vote is quite literally to allow the GOP to push forward legislation that will kill tens of thousands of Americans that are in the situation that he is? Absofuckinglutely.

He's voting to kill my wife and I. I hope that tumor bursts out of his goddamned head before it's over for him.

Plinko

You already made this post!

I'm reiterating in further detail and trying to ease my mind at the same time, plus just trying to exhibit how baffled I am they are going through with it.

JP_

Banned
I'm a little confused about the vote-o-rama thing. What is the process like? Once started, is it even possible for it to fail as a whole? Or after they stop voting on amendments, they then do a final vote on the entire thing?

Boke1879

It means jack shit to applaud McCain.

These people have worked together for years. He had brain surgery. STOP worrying about optics.

Blader

MTP is to debate the various bills like the BCRA, 2015 repeal bill, and the skinny bill, but weren't they doing that before( not including the skinny bill and repeal bill)? It looks like not much has changed. They still have to whip up votes for a skinny bill.

Just going into debate adds a lot more pressure on people like Heller, Paul, Capito, etc.

JettDash

At this point, the House have already voted for the Obamacare repeal.

They'll face the electoral consequences regardless of whether it goes through conference. Might as well get kick 20 million people off health insurance while you can.

The bigger problem is the Senate. If it were so easy to come up with a bill that will pass the Senate and the House McConnell would pass a bill that could go straight to the House for a vote and not bother with this skinny repeal crap that would have to go conference to get fixed and then voted on again.

I'm a little confused about the vote-o-rama thing. What is the process like? Once started, is it even possible for it to fail as a whole? Or after they stop voting on amendments, they then do a final vote on the entire thing?

They vote on meaningless amendments for a day or two in a free for all vote party, and then McConnell says "okay, enough, none of that actually mattered, here's the final bill" and then they vote for real.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
If your focus is on criticizing people for politely applauding somebody they've known for years or decades for making it through brain surgery you've just got to chill the fuck out.

We all know for a fact if they didn't that Fox News would plaster "Dems snub dying McCain" all over their shit. We can't control that.

You know what we can control? Not criticizing our own fucking party over something so meaningless.

JP_

Banned
If this passes, this is tantamount to political suicide. A new bill will almost assuredly make health care less affordable in this country, and effects will be seen long before November 2018.
If I had a nickel for every time the republicans got away with political suicide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom