• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
He keeps going back to loyalty. Nothing about rule of law, ethics, what is or is not proper. These things literally do not enter his mind. He's completely oblivious to how it plays out for the rest of us who do care about and know these things.

The craziest thing is that Sessions is among the most loyal of his acolytes. Trump's just an old dog with a bone at this point.

Hopfrog

There will but it won't matter.

Agreed. All that matters now are the votes. And personally speaking, I am in the "fuck McCain" camp. Actions matter, and his legacy (if a bill passes) is forever tainted by what may be his final acts as a politician. Screw the lifetime of "maverick" posing.

Loxley

I know it was expected, but I'm still proud that not a single Democrat voted for the MTP (or any of this garbage). If nothing else, it does show that Dems have some modicum of unity.

jtb

Banned
That's not what bedwetting means.

Terrible, awful hot take incoming:

How can you be outraged about applauding McCain while simultaneously saying that Dem activists shouldn't be spending all their time and effort stopping the repeal effort? Shouldn't we focus on what little we can control?

Like, one of these things seeems worth fighting for, and it's not booing a relatively popular politician with a national figure (as sick as I am of the McCain fetishizing as anyone)

(I warned you it was a Bad Take!)

You know what's even more satisfying than booing McCain? Winning.

There aren't any elections today so I'd settle for seeing a goddamned hypocrite shunned on national television.

Booing and/or giving the cold shoulder to a man recovering from life saving brain surgery?! The fuck is wrong with some of you?

There are people going through the same ordeal right now that he's working to strip coverage from. What the fuck is wrong with us? Nah, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Siegcram

Booing and/or giving the cold shoulder to a man recovering from life saving brain surgery?! The fuck is wrong with some of you?
Does this suddenly absolve him from being a decent human being?

Having cancer isn't carte blanche to fuck with peoples lives.

PBY

Banned
Agreed. All that matters now are the votes. And personally speaking, I am in the "fuck McCain" camp. Actions matter, and his legacy (if a bill passes) is forever tainted by what may be his final acts as a politician. Screw the lifetime of "maverick" posing.

Agreed, but his entire life as a politician has also been supremely shitty.

Terrible, awful hot take incoming:

How can you be outraged about applauding McCain while simultaneously saying that Dem activists shouldn't be spending all their time and effort stopping the repeal effort? Shouldn't we focus on what little we can control?

Like, one of these things seeems worth fighting for, and it's not booing a relatively popular politician with a national figure (as sick as I am of the McCain fetishizing as anyone)

(I warned you it was a Bad Take!)

That's... not what I was saying.

That is a horrible take.

I said people were tired about how often Topher was saying that EVERYTHING IS BAD and confused/tired people to the point where they became less effective for activists. These are different things and might have ended up hurting their cause.

So essentially them moving forward could still result in nothing actually happening? How long does this "moving forward" period last, until next year?

Who even knows. McConnell could keep it open until they get bored and want to do something else, "pass" an empty nothing bill, and let it become Paul Ryan's problem in the bi-chamber committee.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If every senator held a grudge against everyone who ever disagreed with them once, no senator would ever talk to another.

Some of you guys should listen to McCain's speech.

Fuck McCain's speech. It's his actions that matter, and hes voting to proceed to strip health care from millions. The man deserves no respect, and absolutely no sympathy. Millions are going to be fucked over today because of him and 50 other GOP senators.

Fuck him.

Fuck McCain's speech. It's his actions that matter, and hes voting to proceed to strip health care from millions. The man deserves no respect, and absolutely no sympathy. Millions are going to be fucked over today because of him and 50 other GOP senators.

Fuck him.
Do as he says, not as he does.

PBY

Banned
Robert Costa‏
Verified account
@costareports
Sen. McCain's speech was a lion's roar.
3:27 PM - 25 Jul 2017

I fucking hate this country so much some times. McCain just cucked a good portion of our national media.

Kusagari

I've got to think firing the southern darling around the same time as installing a New Yorker as communications director isn't going to play in certain Trump areas. Dare I say it might eat away a bit from the evangelical approval.

lmfao.

Trump could fuck their wives in front of them and these Evangelicals wouldn't stop supporting him.

Fuck. Knew this would go through.

Mccain is a fucking idiot and Rand Paul finally sold out on his so called purist ideology.

He's done no such thing. He plans to vote yes on the current repeal only amendment which is exactly what he wants. To completely repeal the ACA. He is what he is but at least he's consistent.

If every senator held a grudge against everyone who ever disagreed with them once, no senator would ever talk to another.

Some of you guys should listen to McCain's speech.

John McCain wants the chamber to return to regular order AFTER he votes to proceed on bills NO ONE HAS SEEN.

He is a spineless, horrible person.

Omg @ Collins calling that Republican who would challenge her to a duel fat and ugly. What a slay

I just saw the article about the hot mic.

SLAAAAY Moderate Queen. Moderate Chase Smith would be proud today. Declaration of Conscience, indeed.

I've always minded her the least of all of them.

He's done no such thing. He plans to vote yes on the current repeal only amendment which is exactly what he wants. To completely repeal the ACA. He is what he is but at least he's consistent.
It'd be really nice if Collins, Murkowski and Paul would stand their ground against the final bill, but I'm very concerned (to use a word I've come to hate).

studyguy

That is a horrible take.

I said people were tired about how often Topher was saying that EVERYTHING IS BAD and confused/tired people to the point where they became less effective for activists. These are different things and might have ended up hurting their cause.

No one is disagreeing with that, most people are just saying senators who work together being happy people they see on the regular didn't up and die from cancer isn't worth freaking out about.

Also an aside.

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/889924362996002816
CSPAN (@cspan)
CLIP: @Statedeptspox says Secretary of State Tillerson is "taking a little time off." https://t.co/C2fGFvyWrb

Ogodei

Robert Costa‏
Verified account
@costareports

I fucking hate this country so much some times. McCain just cucked a good portion of our national media.

The media still loves their moderate darlings. I'll give credit that the Washington media's been better about fighting Trump than i feared, but they're still vapid courtiers at the end of the day, wanting more to be in a walk-on role in an Aaron Sorkin production than to care about the real people's lives the politicians toy with.

I thought there were some riders in this that didn't make this a repeal Bill?

Honestly I have no fucking clue what's in this version just like the senators voting on it.

jtb

Banned

That is a horrible take.

Well, the truth everyone knows but can't acknowledge is that the activists completely failed in the 2016 election. The phone calls are just therapy for the millions of people to absolve themselves from doing more last November.

(Is this the worst take of all???)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Robert Costa‏
Verified account
@costareports

I told everyone yesterday think tanks were at work to squeeze as much patriotism and good will out of McCains situation as possible for these votes.

It'd be really nice if Collins, Murkowski and Paul would stand their ground against the final bill, but I'm very concerned (to use a word I've come to hate).

I wouldn't worry about Collins at all. Murkowski seems really hard to sway as well. Paul is very stubborn on passing just a straight repeal only.

By Paul's own admission, they plan on the votes failing going into the amendment process, so it's not like one of the older bills will surprisingly pass.

PBY

Banned
The media still loves their moderate darlings. I'll give credit that the Washington media's been better about fighting Trump than i feared, but they're still vapid courtiers at the end of the day, wanting more to be in a walk-on role in an Aaron Sorkin production than to care about the real people's lives the politicians toy with.

I told everyone yesterday think tanks were at work to squeeze as much patriotism and good will out of McCains situation as possible for these votes.

There's... there's just so much of it right now...

Steve Clemons‏Verified account
@SCClemons

Right now @SenJohnMcCain is our greatest American, speaking in selfless, patriotic, inspired tones from Senate floor. I hope Trump hears

I wouldn't worry about Collins at all. Murkowski seems really hard to sway as well. Paul is very stubborn on passing just a straight repeal only.

By Paul's own admission, they plan on the votes failing going into the amendment process, so it's not like one of the older bills will surprisingly pass.
I guess I'm just curious what happens if the amendments all fail, including McConnell's dumbass skinny repeal. Do they just vote on AHCA as-is? Table the bill?

Oriel

There are people going through the same ordeal right now that he's working to strip coverage from. What the fuck is wrong with us? Nah, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Does this suddenly absolve him from being a decent human being?

Having cancer isn't carte blanche to fuck with peoples lives.

You do know that it's perfectly possible to criticise the man's politics and also show you're not a complete fucking arsehole by having some sympathy for the man on a human level.

Fuck out of here with that insane bullshit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom