• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
DHTWoZgV0AAIhgH.jpg:large

all you need to know.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2018 primary is going to be amazing. So, so many republicans are going to be running as far as they can from Trump. I have a feeling we'll be seeing something incredibly unusual. Republicans behind the scenes must be infuriated at this point.

Ernest

Banned
Richard Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO, has left the council saying, "I cannot sit on a council for a President that tolerates bigotry and domestic terrorism; I resign, effective immediately."

Blader

The awakening of Don Lemon is surely one of the most bizarre things to happen in the last year or two. Remember when this guy was talking about whether or not the missing Malaysian Airline flight disappeared into a black hole?

I have to believe Kelly joined because he felt he could make a difference on the political front. While I'm not ready to say he has no dignity if he doesn't resign, I'm curious if this pushed him closer. How many times can you be burned before you know there's nothing you can do?

Priebus proved himself incompetent for months, and took public humiliation for it -- including from his own boss! -- every step of the way. Kelly's a Marine Corps general who, I have to assume, is a far more disciplined individual than that weasel. If Priebus can last six months, Kelly could go a year at least.

2018 primary is going to be amazing. So, so many republicans are going to be running as far as they can from Trump. I have a feeling we'll be seeing something incredibly unusual. Republicans behind the scenes must be infuriated at this point.

Sow the wind, reap the tornado.

Hope this works out so we can see the collapse from somewhere safe...

Man I step away from the internet for a few hours and there's a billion pages, WTF happened?

Trump went Racisaiyan SSJ4

Ogodei

We'll have to see what this actually does to his or their numbers. Like a number of Clinton-Toomey voters (or others like them around the country, like Clinton-Price voters in GA-6), there could be enough moderate Republicans who are willing to believe GOP politicians when they say Trump doesn't represent them or their values.

He's come a long way from "the smell of marijuana in the air."

Lots of R's calling out racists for crossing the line still want to be able to toe the line.

Wait a bit. You will see people denouncing this still pushing that our police are under genocide by Black Lives matter in about...3 weeks?

Kusagari

GOP figureheads finally seeing their chickens come home to roost for empowering Trump.

Shapiro is currently getting destroyed for putting out an article where he says Trump has empowered the alt-right with people saying he's showing his true leftist colors.

weeeee

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/0...-buttons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Federal judges have invalidated two Texas congressional districts, ruling that they must be fixed by either the Legislature or a federal court.

In a unanimous decision Tuesday, a three-judge panel in San Antonio ruled that Congressional Districts 27 and 35 violate the U.S. Constitution and the federal Voting Rights Act. The judges found that Hispanic voters in Congressional District 27, represented by U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Corpus Christi, were "intentionally deprived of their opportunity to elect a candidate of their choice."

Congressional District 35 — a Central Texas district represented by Democrat Lloyd Doggett of Austin — was also found to be unconstitutional.

The 107-page ruling — the latest chapter of a six-year court battle over how Texas lawmakers drew political maps — sets up a scramble to redraw the districts in time for the 2018 elections.

The court ordered the Texas Attorney General's Office to indicate within three business days whether the Texas Legislature would take up redistricting to fix those violations. Otherwise, the state and its legal foes will head back to court on Sept. 5 to begin re-drawing the congressional map — which could shake up other congressional races when the boundaries are changed.

Before Tuesday's decision, the judges had already ruled the Texas Legislature sought to weaken the strength of Latino and black voters — a population more likely to choose Democrats — while drawing House and congressional districts in 2011, immediately following the 2010 U.S. Census. But the 2011 maps never actually took effect.

Amid legal wrangling over the Legislature's maps, the court drew temporary maps ahead of the 2012 elections. Texas lawmakers in 2013 formally adopted those maps and have used them for the past three election cycles.

On Tuesday, the court ruled that the intentional discrimination behind the 2011 maps carried over into the 2013 map in places like CD-35 and CD-27, where the district boundaries were unchanged "because the Legislature engaged in no deliberative process to remove any such taint.

"The Legislature in 2013 intentionally furthered and continued the existing discrimination in the plans," the judges wrote.

The judges sided with the state on Congressional District 23 — represented by Republican Will Hurd of Helotes — ruling that it could be left intact. That sprawling West Texas district was previously flagged as discriminatory but had been modified since then. In Tuesday's ruling, the judges called it a ”Latino opportunity district."

The court ruled only on the current congressional map, leaving legal challenges to the state House map unanswered.

Sucks about TX-23.

@Nate_Cohn
TX redistricting decision is out. My initial read (and I'm not a lawyer) is that GOP gets near best case outcome https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legal-work/Perez_Order_08.15.17.pdf

@Nate_Cohn
As I read it, GOP pbly loses one Austin area district, but that's it. No changes needed to Hurd's district; no new minority CD in DFW/HOU

teiresias

Did I miss any statements that have been put out by either candidate for VA governor over this whole ordeal, not just the press conference today? Is Gillespie distancing himself?

NBC Nightly News‏Verified account
@NBCNightlyNews
Follow
More
White House official: Once in front of press, president "went rogue;" team members stunned by the president's actions.

Stunned? Who the fuck are you working for?

Paul Ryan‏Verified account
@SpeakerRyan

We must be clear. White supremacy is repulsive. This bigotry is counter to all this country stands for. There can be no moral ambiguity.

LOL, dat courage

Trump just can't stop shooting himself in the foot can he? Just can't bear even the slightest bit of criticism. Good luck with those approval ratings, Trump.

Loxley

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Trump will not make it to 2020. This guy keeps digging a hole so fucking deep that eventually we're going to hit a breaking point and the majority of the country will break out in nation-wide protests to have him removed from office. Whether it's because he resigns or because he's impeached, I will be shocked if he's still President in two years' time.

And yes, I'm aware that a Republican-held Congress isn't likely to impeach him unless things get really bad for them personally as a result to latching on to him, but still.

Did I miss any statements that have been put out by either candidate for VA governor over this whole ordeal, not just the press conference today? Is Gillespie distancing himself?

I don't know about official statements, but Northam torched Trump on Twitter about his shitty behavior over this.

pigeon

Banned
Man, I been with you on this from jump. You've obviously been right this whole time about that shit.

I can freely admit I was wrong about one thing: when I said I believed that America would rise up and roundly reject Trump, that was kind of a big misread of the electorate on my part.

Lesson learned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom