• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate having to bite my tongue at work. Ringing up a book on the Civil War for a seemingly normal middle aged women, and she feels compelled to inform me "I decided I needed to buy it before someone tries to burn it!"

Just...why? Why is it always a persecution complex? Why would we burn a book that chronicles the defeat of folks who commited treason in defense of slavery?

Someone called into a sports talk show on my way home and bragged that he put in a bid on that Robert E Lee statue.

Wilsongt

It's going to be a shame that when Pence becomes president and he starts his anti-LGBT crusade that thr backlash won't be nearly as strong against him as against Nazis and the KKK.

that would be crazy if Corker didn't run for re-election. but... why wouldn't he?
Let's think about Bob Corker's Senate career.

Got elected in 06 by a hair in a Dem wave that put him in the minority. Current GOP president is a lame duck by all accounts.

Spent the eight years of Obama's presidency not being able to get anything of any real substance done because Obama has the veto pen, and he spent 6 of those years in the minority as well.

Finally, everything comes together in 2016. New Republican president, fully Republican Congress, oh wait they can't get anything done because the president is a lunatic and moron, and the party is too heavily factionalized to agree on anything anyway, with Corker's specific corner (boring, pragmatic fiscal conservative) by far the least influential.

I can imagine wanting to hang it up.

Also I would love it if we spend all this time hand-wringing about how badly the map sucks for us next year (and it really does) and then we win in like, Texas and Tennessee. (I don't think this will happen)

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The distinction that Bannon will go to war with a bunch of Trump's top people, not Trump himself, seems absurd to me. Breitbart attacking 80% of the White House is clearly bad for Trump.

jtb

Banned
I don't really buy any of this 'war with the White House' stuff. I think Bannon's just keeping his sources greased with juicy leaks to show he'll still be of use outside the WH. Throw 'em a story that'll get a bunch of page views.

Let's think about Bob Corker's Senate career.

Got elected in 06 by a hair in a Dem wave that put him in the minority. Current GOP president is a lame duck by all accounts.

Spent the eight years of Obama's presidency not being able to get anything of any real substance done because Obama has the veto pen, and he spent 6 of those years in the minority as well.

Finally, everything comes together in 2016. New Republican president, fully Republican Congress, oh wait they can't get anything done because the president is a lunatic and moron, and the party is too heavily factionalized to agree on anything anyway, with Corker's specific corner (boring, pragmatic fiscal conservative) by far the least influential.

I can imagine wanting to hang it up.

Also I would love it if we spend all this time hand-wringing about how badly the map sucks for us next year (and it really does) and then we win in like, Texas and Tennessee. (I don't think this will happen)

I want to believe.

But I don't :(

Vimes

It's going to be a shame that when Pence becomes president and he starts his anti-LGBT crusade that thr backlash won't be nearly as strong against him as against Nazis and the KKK.

I don't want to sound dismissive of your fear, especially since violence against LGBT folk has been so nasty this year, but I'm actually pretty optimistic about this eventuality. I was pleasantly surprised how many gop folk spoke out against Trump's military trans ban tweets.

The general population has arguably pivoted on this issue faster than the racism issue because they have a higher likelihood of knowing LGBT people among their own family and friends.

sangreal

The distinction that Bannon will go to war with a bunch of Trump's top people, not Trump himself, seems absurd to me. Breitbart attacking 80% of the White House is clearly bad for Trump.

Not to mention Trunp recognizes bannon was behind the anti-mcmaster campaign. What's he doing to do when Bannon goes after the cuck golden boy

ascii42

I don't want to sound dismissive of your fear, especially since violence against LGBT folk has been so nasty this year, but I'm actually pretty optimistic about this eventuality. I was pleasantly surprised how many gop folk spoke out against Trump's military trans ban tweets.

The general population has arguably pivoted on this issue faster than the racism issue because they have a higher likelihood of knowing LGBT people among their own family and friends.

Yeah. Two straight people can have a gay kid or a transgender kid, but two white people aren't going to have a black kid.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't really buy any of this 'war with the White House' stuff. I think Bannon's just keeping his sources greased with juicy leaks to show he'll still be of use outside the WH. Throw 'em a story that'll get a bunch of page views.

What is weird is that the Senior Editor at Breitbart, Polak, was being interviewed on CNBC earlier and he was all reasonable, "Bannon understands, it isn't personal, blah blah". Yet when you go to his twitter he says "#WAR".

It is hard to know what people will do when they're so full of shit.

kirblar

I hate having to bite my tongue at work. Ringing up a book on the Civil War for a seemingly normal middle aged women, and she feels compelled to inform me "I decided I needed to buy it before someone tries to burn it!"

Just...why? Why is it always a persecution complex? Why would we burn a book that chronicles the defeat of folks who commited treason in defense of slavery?
Because they imagine else wants to do what they want to do. It's projection.

Kusagari

The Bannon won't go after Trump stuff was basically proven wrong with the first article. Comparing Trump to Ahnuld is probably one of the most offensive things possible.

Get ready for ‘Bannon da barbarian’

In the days leading up to his exit Friday, Steve Bannon told associates that he felt profoundly constrained by the limits of the federal government and was itching to return to the outside world. He would be freer there to engage in the kind of militant political combat that catapulted him to national fame and thrust him into the center of Trump’s orbit.

It was time, he told friends, to get ready for “Bannon da barbarian.”

Bannon’s departure from the White House positions him to become a major player on the outside — where he’s certain to push the administration to the right and wage war against the moderate Trump aides he’s long collided with.

Bannon has floated the idea of returning to Breitbart, the bomb-throwing conservative website he formerly led. He is almost certain to link up with hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekah, who have long bankrolled Bannon’s political projects, including Breitbart. On Wednesday, two days before he announced his exit, Bannon met for several hours in New York with Robert Mercer, according to two people familiar with the huddle.

Over the months, Bannon and Mercer have stayed in close touch on a number of topics, including Mercer’s decision to invest heavily in the primary campaign to unseat GOP Rep. Jeff Flake, a vocal Trump critic. Some people close to Bannon believe he could oversee the influential Mercer political operation, a perch that would give him access to millions of campaign dollars heading into the 2018 midterms, or launch a Mercer-funded media venture.

Bannon has expressed private frustration over how Republican leaders on Capitol Hill are treating Trump. The departed White House strategist has been concerned that Congress will pass a budget that lacks funding for the president’s priorities, including a wall on the southern border.

From a perch on the outside, Bannon reasoned, he could launch attacks on GOP leaders, stir up primary challenges, and rile conservative supporters — “going medieval,” he has said — much as Breitbart did against former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor. Bannon can also pressure the White House to allowing a government shutdown if Trump doesn’t get what he wants in a funding bill.

Such a barrage, should it materialize, would further exacerbate tensions that are deeply dividing Republicans during the Trump era.

Conservative writer Lee Stranahan, who formerly worked with Bannon at Breitbart, said Bannon wouldn’t be afraid to pressure Trump, reasoning that he was more concerned about pushing for populist priorities than offending the president.

“It’s all about the agenda, he’s a stalwart on the agenda. He’s never been about just Trump,” Stranahan said.

"Steve wants to change the world,” said Sam Nunberg, a longtime former Trump aide and Bannon ally. “From the outside, he has the power to criticize the administration when it's wrong and give insight into how the process and decisions were made.”

Then there's the matter of White House personnel. Bannon has long vented about moderate Trump aides who have surrounded the president, a group that includes Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, Gary Cohn and Dina Powell. Their “globalist” leanings, he’s argued, go against the populist uprising that propelled Trump to the presidency.

And at a time when conservatives are worried the Trump presidency is adrift, Bannon’s friends say it’s only a matter of time until the globalists come under fire from the ousted chief strategist.

Blader

I don't really buy any of this 'war with the White House' stuff.

Why? Bannon was going to war with people in the White House while he was in the White House. Why would he not continue that campaign now that it's not even a personal/professional liability for him anymore?

Part of what makes CNN so despicable is that they don't just find crazies on the left to fight with crazies on the right. They bring on perfectly mainstream left-leaning thinkers and have them debate with people who think chemtrails are a national concern and Pizzagate is the greatest scandal of our time. The far right is hugely represented, the far left is absent.

Pretty much. Even kicking 3 of their worst "character actor" pundits to the curb their rep is so trashed.

Basically, I'm saying #firezucker

thefro

In the Bannon thread there's an amazing video edit by Guy.brush

rjb9kk2.gif

xiuLUMN.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Uy0Uznw4E

Joshua Green‏Verified account @JoshuaGreen 1h1 hour ago
More
Replying to @JoshuaGreen
"...for Trump against his opponents -- on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America.” 2/2

Joshua Green‏Verified account @JoshuaGreen 1h1 hour ago
More
Just got off the phone w/ Bannon: "If there’s any confusion out there, let me clear it up: I’m leaving the White House and going to war" 1/2

We all played ourselves.

Bannon gets the record for "smartest thing anyone in the administration said about anything, ever" for his answer on North Korea. Let's see how long it takes for someone to top it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
He already returned as executive director of Breitbart today, and chaired their evening editorial meeting.

This is just spinoff/outsourcing propaganda directly to Breitbart.

Edit:
Don't have to pretend not to be racist, answer follow up questions when it comes from Breitbart instead of the press secretary WH Comms. I expect them (WH comms) to have even less visibility from now on (if that is even possible)

I doubt he blames Trump though. They'll just say he got cucked by all the other beta cucks.

Still not a good look for the administration though.

Nope, not Trump, but he's going to go after Paul, McMaster, Kelly, and McConnell, and that will be fun. He will spend his days trashing Republican leadership and members of the administration for taking over his presidency

UberTag

He's going to war for Trump against Trump's opposition, but the Trump presidency as imagined and won is over? I'm so confused.
He believes Trump will be reigned in as a mere puppet of the globalists and the D.C. establishment and he aims to go to war against them and to drive public discord against them in the process via the Breitbart machine.

In other words, right-wing media will now be at war with the Republicans and the GOP for not being right-wing enough.

Slayven

Nope, not Trump, but he's going to go after Paul, McMaster, Kelly, and McConnell, and that will be fun. He will spend his days trashing Republican leadership and members of the administration for taking over his presidency

He believes Trump will be reigned in as a mere puppet of the globalists and the D.C. establishment and he aims to go to war against them and to drive public discord against them in the process via the Breitbart machine.

In other words, right-wing media will now be at war with the Republicans and the GOP for not being right-wing enough.

So what you are saying is he will take Trump's base and turned them again the GOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom