• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

But if it splits out that part of the base from the GOP wouldn't that turn into a major electoral advantage for Dems?
In the short-term, yes. But in the long-term it could drive the radical right-wing base into an even greater frenzy until they rally behind someone far more competent than Trump and sink the United States into a drastic upheaval. Especially if someone like Kamala Harris wins in 2020 and effectively becomes demonized as Obama-Hillary combined into a single person.

They probably consider the failed Trump experiment to be a trial run.

Geist-

In the Bannon thread there's an amazing video edit by Guy.brush

rjb9kk2.gif

xiuLUMN.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Uy0Uznw4E
Beautiful.

pigeon

Banned
In the short-term, yes. But in the long-term it could drive the radical right-wing base into an even greater frenzy until they rally behind someone far more competent than Trump and sink the United States into a drastic upheaval. Especially if someone like Kamala Harris wins in 2020 and effectively becomes demonized as Obama-Hillary combined into a single person.

The radical right wing are much less dangerous if severed from the GOP, because that's their tap into governmental power and thus into the political narrative.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dont really get bannon. He's a rich investment banker. That is the definition of globalist. Why is he so anti globalist? Did someone shit on a spread he did once or something?

jtb

Banned
Why? Bannon was going to war with people in the White House while he was in the White House. Why would he not continue that campaign now that it's not even a personal/professional liability for him anymore?

Going against people inside the white house while he was in the white house helped him consolidate power. How will stories against the Trump white house play with his base? Like, who are they going to rally around if not their god? Isn't this the problem with the Blaze and all the other so-called anti-Trump conservative media? There's just no appetite for it.

I think Bannon is self-interested more than he is petty.

Blader

Going against people inside the white house while he was in the white house helped him consolidate power. How will stories against the Trump white house play with his base? Like, who are they going to rally around if not their god? Isn't this the problem with the Blaze and all the other so-called anti-Trump conservative media? There's just no appetite for it.

I think Bannon is self-interested more than he is petty.

The Trump base rallies around Donald Trump, not McMaster or Gary Cohn or Dina Powell.

And clearly going against people inside the White House while he was in the White House didn't help him consolidate any power, because it further marginalized him for months until his position became untenable, specifically because of the leaks and press campaigns he was waging against other WH aides. Bannon's interests and pettiness are not mutually exclusive.

Meanwhile...

Trump’s Son In Crosshairs Of Special Counsel Mueller

Prosecutors investigating possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign are bearing down on the president’s son, attempting to figure out his intent when he attended a meeting in which he was promised dirt on Hillary Clinton as part of Russia’s support for Trump’s campaign. The question of intent could be crucial in determining if Donald Trump Jr. violated the law.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/special-counsel-focuses-on-trumps-son

UberTag

Figure out his intent? Dude's not a rocket scientist.

He told Goldstone, “If it's what you say, I love it.”.
His intent is plain as day.

jtb

Banned
The Trump base rallies around Donald Trump, not McMaster or Gary Cohn or Dina Powell.

And clearly going against people inside the White House while he was in the White House didn't help him consolidate any power, because it further marginalized him for months until his position became untenable, specifically because of the leaks and press campaigns he was waging against other WH aides. Bannon's interests and pettiness are not mutually exclusive.

Well, Trump put them there. I just think he's content to continue spewing his racist bullshit and cash out. Perhaps groom other candidates. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Figure out his intent? Dude's not a rocket scientist.

He told Goldstone, “If it's what you say, I love it.”.
His intent is plain as day.

Yeah, I don't quite understand. If Mueller puts out a concluding statement of the obvious, does it suddenly become Shocking for GOP officials since it came from him and not Steele? It's possible but we'll have to see.

The radical right wing are much less dangerous if severed from the GOP, because that's their tap into governmental power and thus into the political narrative.

I wonder if this means the GOP mellows out to pre-Obama levels, or if this just resets the clock back to 2012 or god forbid, 2014 levels of more-conservative-than-thou.

Seriously, one of my biggest fears from a post-Trump world is the GOP running away form Trumpism but remaining on that path, just put back several spaces and something similar but equally dangerous will emerge once Trump isn't recent memory.

Barring that, we'd still have the Kochs and other slimy-yet-not-insane billionaires coaxing a more circa-1995 economy model for the GOP to rally behind in an ever-less single-superpower world.

Frankly, anything short of lurching to Moderate Conservative-Centrist and a major soul-searching along what Flake was on about reguarding ethics and morals like what DIDN'T get followed thru when the Neocon empire imploded is courting a delayed disaster.

I mean, I'd like them to be more bipartisan with the Dems again, and the country needs that and fast, but that Deplorable crowd would work against that, never voting for a McMullin-type. The can cannot be kicked down the road here.

I dunno, it's not a fully crystalized thought yet, and I'm going on what I know, but yeah, still worried even when the Trumpster Fire is put out.

I dont really get bannon. He's a rich investment banker. That is the definition of globalist. Why is he so anti globalist? Did someone shit on a spread he did once or something?

95% of "why would the alt-right..." is "Projection".

Served me well over this last year or so.

I love it!

Ernest

Banned
Bannon's still working for Trump. Just not from the White House. No "dirt" will come from him. Trump is still king shit of fuck mountain, everyone. Yet another thing we get all excited about from which nothing will come from.

I think it was more than two months ago, after some big "oppo drop", that I said "nothing will come from this" and I got yelled at, and here we are, I don't even remember what that was, but obviously nothing happened. And nothing will. Until 2020.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Bannon's still working for Trump. Just not from the White House. No "dirt" will come from him. Trump is still king shit of fuck mountain, everyone. Yet another thing we get all excited about from which nothing will come from.

I think it was more than a month ago, after some big "oppo drop", that I said "nothing will come from this" and I got yelled at, and here we are, I don't even remember what that was, but obviously nothing happened. And nothing will. Until 2020.

This doesn't really fit with what's already happened, both the Breitbart take on it and Bannon's comments about the Trump presidency being over.

Ernest

Banned
This doesn't really fit with what's already happened, both the Breitbart take on it and Bannon's comments about the Trump presidency being over.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaGreen/status/898655709256142848

Joshua Green‏Verified account @JoshuaGreen

Just got off the phone w/ Bannon: "If there’s any confusion out there, let me clear it up: I’m leaving the White House and going to war"
"...for Trump against his opponents -- on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America.

Teggy

Look at this moderate darling

Kuhn says he’s not a racist, but that he traveled the nearly 500 miles from Honeoye Falls to Charlottesville to protest the removal of a Confederate monument to Gen. Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville’s Emancipation Park.

“It’s a piece of history, and I thought that it should remain,” Kuhn said. “It’s important to me that we preserve American history no matter how ugly the past is it’s associated with.”

“I’m not a neo-Nazi,” he insisted. “I don’t belong to a German workers’ party from 1933. I’m a moderate Republican.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/my-...whines-over-outing-by-anti-fascist-group/amp/

I think it was more than two months ago, after some big "oppo drop", that I said "nothing will come from this" and I got yelled at, and here we are, I don't even remember what that was, but obviously nothing happened. And nothing will. Until 2020.

The entire West Wing has been given an enema in the last four weeks but "nothing has happened". That's including the Chief of Staff, the Communications Director, Press Secretary and now the Chief Strategist and one of the most controversial figures in the White House.

Charlottesville happened. Three economic councils have been disbanded due to blowback from CEO's who have stood by Trump in the past and have quit in protest.

A pastor has just recently resigned from his evangelical advisory board. Possibly starting another exodus.

A presidency that is already hobbled in terms of its legislative agenda just took two more baseball bats to the knees thanks to Trumps comments. With Republican strategists actively telling members of congress to go at it alone on tax reform and act like Trump isn't even there.

We haven't even gotten to the shit show that the debt ceiling and budget fight will bring in September.

If your only bar for "happening" is a Trump impeachment, then yeah I suppose "nothing has happened" but there are those who know that that process will take time and aren't realistically looking for this to be the Nixon speedrun as much as it's joked about. In the interim, plenty has happened that will continue to prevent this president from being successful and that's currently pretty damned important and not worth being thrown into the "nothing will come of this" pile.

Vimes

Every time I hear the "nothing has happened / nothing will happen" argument, I picture this idea that Donald Trump and the GOP are the Death Star and the whole thing is supposed to explode immediately once you hit the Main Reactor.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I don't want to keep posting the same point but: you cannot go after Trump's chief of staff, his top advisers, whatever McMaster is I can't remember, and even the "Trump presidency" itself, and say you're not going after Trump. Just because you aren't literally naming Trump doesn't change the fact that you're CLEARLY going after him and his administration. And if you factor in going after the GOP establishment, you're making it harder for Trump to get stuff done, so that's also hurting him.

I really can't see any upside for Trump in anything Bannon does at this point.

So, is just me or is Youtube too far gone at this point? I've been listening to several left leaning Youtubers take on what happened in Charlottesville and, minus a few smaller ones that the horde hasn't descended upon, they are all downvoted like crazy and filled with comments trying to 'both sides' the attack or claim that Antifa were the real terrorists who brought violence to the rally. It's absolutely insane.

I don't want to keep posting the same point but: you cannot go after Trump's chief of staff, his top advisers, whatever McMaster is I can't remember, and even the "Trump presidency" itself, and say you're not going after Trump. Just because you aren't literally naming Trump doesn't change the fact that you're CLEARLY going after him and his administration. And if you factor in going after the GOP establishment, you're making it harder for Trump to get stuff done, so that's also hurting him.

I really can't see any upside for Trump in anything Bannon does at this point.

Bannon doesn't care. He feels his chance to push his agenda through is over, go he will attack those who stood in his way. We know he has major issues with McMaster, Kushner, Ryan, etc. and I guarantee you he holds them accountable for the "globalism" on it's way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom