• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
This subreddit is fucking hilarious

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump

One recent example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriti...nk_they_should_put_the_confederate_flag_in_a/

"I think they should put [the confederate flag] in a museum. Let it go. Respect whatever it is you have to respect, because it was a point in time, and put it in a museum. But I would take it down, yes." - Trump, 2015

This is amazing. Wow.

He's really said every opposing position you could ever have on everything ever

Which? There are only two house seats Dems can win in MO and both have entrenched incumbents.
I think he could win MO-2 in a wave. Especially considering how he outperformed Hillary in a bad year for Dems

I thought he won that district in the senate race also didn't he ? Even though the house was +8 R there

Drakeon

The candidate field is looking bad. Honestly just let Kander run. He's a young likeable white guy. People will vote for him.

I'm kinda hoping Joe Kennedy III runs, dude is a great speaker and charismatic as hell. He's very young, but I'd love for him to give it some consideration. I took notice of him as soon as I heard him in an interview in Pod Save America back around May.

Which? There are only two house seats Dems can win in MO and both have entrenched incumbents.
MO-2 is sort of long stretch in a wave winnable, R+8 but I don't know if he lives in St. Louis and a check in the senate race shows that he still lost those suburbs, just by better margins than Hillary (he actually won surprisingly few counties given the results, only five and only two of those weren't Hillary counties)

I'm kinda hoping Joe Kennedy III runs, dude is a great speaker and charismatic as hell. He's very young, but I'd love for him to give it some consideration. I took notice of him as soon as I heard him in an interview in Pod Save America back around May.
gross, dynasty candidates aren't what we want

A good candidate is a good candidate, it doesn't matter who their family is. Like half the voting population wasn't even alive during the Kennedy presidency. And he's his grand nephew, he's not even that closely related.

"This person is only bad because of who they're related to" has to be one of the most pointless and counter productive reasons to dismiss a candidate.

Drakeon

MO-2 is sort of long stretch in a wave winnable, R+8 but I don't know if he lives in St. Louis and a check in the senate race shows that he still lost those suburbs, just by better margins than Hillary (he actually won surprisingly few counties given the results, only five and only two of those weren't Hillary counties)

gross, dynasty candidates aren't what we want

Don't shut down Joe Kennedy because of his name, the reason I want him to run has nothing to do with the fact that he's JFK's grand nephew.

If there is one thing we need, it's people who inspire and are charismatic as fuck. We need to inspire our base to get out there and vote. I think Joe Kennedy has the ability to inspire people. I haven't really heard many others aside from Kander who I'd say are great charismatic speakers (who I'd love to see as President, but until he holds a higher electoral office, is the longest of long shots).

Blader

I had a random thought today. Does anyone think the chances of a Biden 2020 run would be enormously helped by, if nothing else, a "return to sanity" vote among the electorate? Particularly given how popular Obama and Biden still are today.

I know he'll be far too old, will probably commit some campaign-ending gaffe, etc. But it occurred to me that the national anxiety Trump is inflicting on the country may end up shifting the mood for 2020 from "we want an insurgent outsider to shake up the system" to "we want a steady hand that we can trust again." And given the number of people polled who have said they'd wish they could have a third Obama term instead, I wonder if that's a gap that Biden could fill if he ran.

The candidate field is looking bad. Honestly just let Kander run. He's a young likeable white guy. People will vote for him.

The candidate field can't be looking bad, nobody knows what it looks like yet! Some of you guys get way too ahead of yourselves on this. The primary is two years away. Let's wait for people to declare their candidacies before judging them to be terrible picks and inferior to someone who's never won higher than state Secretary of State.

(I like Kander, but come on; he hasn't proven himself electorally yet)

A good candidate is a good candidate, it doesn't matter who their family is. Like half the voting population wasn't even alive during the Kennedy presidency. And he's his grand nephew, he's not even that closely related.

"This person is only bad because of who they're related to" has to be one of the most pointless and counter productive reasons to dismiss a candidate.

I have no problem with "dynasty candidates". Their platform is all that matters.

Don't shut down Joe Kennedy because of his name, the reason I want him to run has nothing to do with the fact that he's JFK's grand nephew.

If there is one thing we need, it's people who inspire and are charismatic as fuck. We need to inspire our base to get out there and vote. I think Joe Kennedy has the ability to inspire people. I haven't really heard many others aside from Kander who I'd say are great charismatic speakers (who I'd love to see as President, but until he holds a higher electoral office, is the longest of long shots).
All of this. The 22nd Amendment/term limits are stupid enough. I'd rather not compound that with an obsession over dynasty candidates and condemn candidates for the "sin" of having the same surname/heredity as a previous politician, particularly as not only as that stupid on its face for all of the above reasons to me, but it's also something that's an inherent part of them from day 1, something they have no control over and can never change or run away from even if they wanted to, and I'm not into the whole damning someone for factors they can't control which were decided at birth thing no matter how that's dressed up to sound like a good thing in this one or that one case but not those others.

If they're a good candidate, they're good. If they're terrible, they're terrible. Dynasty or no dynasty.

Ogodei

It speaks against the American idea that in a country of 300 million people, the one to lead them is a close relative of someone else who led them.

Tall4Life

2% of the world's current population is related to Genghis Khan

that means that 2% of the world's population shouldn't run for President, we don't need anymore dynasties

NeoXChaos

We were 70,000 votes away from having the wife of a man who led the country for 8 years as President become President. 100% qualified for the job unlike the current occupant. No matter a Clinton, Kennedy, Rockafeller etc. If they are qualified then it does not matter.

It speaks against the American idea that in a country of 300 million people, the one to lead them is a close relative of someone else who led them.
Perhaps you can argue that it's a damning indictment of the country they want to represent that the ones who have the resources to and who choose to run for the privilege of leading them are "close" (though close really needs to be defined here; is say grand-nephew close for instance? Because that's not what I usually think of as a close relative. But I digress) relatives of someone else who has led them before.

Regardless, however, that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not, if the candidates who indeed decide to run, whether they are the best option of those candidates or not (and also no duh the American ideal was always complete garbage from day 1, particularly if you were black. Or a woman. Or Irish. Or Chinese. Etc. That's true regardless.)

That's the flaw buried in those premises. They presume we get the best possible options to start with, but that's false on its face to begin. The best possible options are typically those who either don't have the resources to run, or even if they do, have no interest in doing so/the position/the politics, drama and mudslinging involved. We get who we get instead. And of those options, a person's heredity has no bearing on their quality as a candidate.

That and this whole conversation is irrelevant because the concept of "dynasty candidates" is a symptom of the factors that influence who does and doesn't, and is and is not able to run for office and not a root cause. Those causes remain regardless so I don't much feel the need to focus on the concept of political dynasties like preventing them would accomplish much of anything anyway.

JP_

Banned
This subreddit is fucking hilarious

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump

One recent example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriti...nk_they_should_put_the_confederate_flag_in_a/

"I think they should put [the confederate flag] in a museum. Let it go. Respect whatever it is you have to respect, because it was a point in time, and put it in a museum. But I would take it down, yes." - Trump, 2015
You know that stupid reasoning conservatives give about how the left calling them racist is why trump won and why they're racist? It seems like trump would be someone exactly stupid enough to live by that logic and change his mind on this.

Kander represented a suburb of Columbia when he was in the MO House, so a non starter for Congress. I believe it's in MO-4. So R+17.

Also you're not beating Ann Wagner in MO-2. She will do anything to save that seat, and so will the NRCC.

Same here. I don't live anywhere near Boston but I'm afraid if violence breaks it wont be isolated there.

My family wants to take my mom out to eat for her birthday and we are putting it off until evening in case hell breaks loose around this country.
Keep her off the streets until whatever happens happens (or it all blows over and it's nothing). I've got a girl there I'm worried about so I'm all stressed out.

Keep her off the streets until whatever happens happens (or it all blows over and it's nothing). I've got a girl there I'm worried about so I'm all stressed out.

I'm hoping nothing happens. I'm quite optimistic about the police officers and barricades being present tomorrow though. But I hope your girl stays safe regardless.

A fly landed on my TV as the chop stick scene came on while I was watching Karate Kid 2, then flew away as soon as Mr. Miyagi caught one.

I feel like I should have learned something from this

This was so important to early Americans that they waited all the way until President number 6 to elect the son of someone who had already been President. Actually, you could take the 24 years that passed between the Adams family twice over and still squeeze in the 8 years between the Bushes and not yet reach the 57 years between JFK and the 2020 candidate. So, respectfully, hogwash.

Diablos

Trump is such a steaming pile of crap. Pardoning him is bad enough but right after Charlottesville is even worse. It's gonna be chaos. Again.

So we have a woman with literally decades of baggage losing to the version of Trump that promises everything because he has no track record by 70K votes in WI/MI/PA and that means that (a) a woman cannot be elected any time soon and (b) the only person who can beat the version of Trump that has a track record of failure is Kander (I assume Buttigieg will be his running mate).

It's going to be a long day, huh?

The biggest lesson of 2016 is you won't win on character in the rust belt.

And the biggest issue for Dems in 2020 will continue to be is they could win the popular vote by even 4 points this time and lost PA/WI/MI/OH and lose the Presidency. These states are not going to have even higher percentage of non college educated white voters in 2020.

jtb

Banned
Joe Kennedy and Jason Kander are charismatic, while the rest of the Dem field isn't? Uhhh, okay. I don't see it at all.

Teggy

The White House statement on Saturday said that, “each year, the Kennedy Center honors the careers and achievements of artists who have helped shape cultural life in the United States with a weekend that includes celebrations and events.”

It added that “The President and First Lady have decided not to participate in this year’s activities to allow the honorees to celebrate without any political distraction. First Lady Melania Trump, along with her husband President Donald J. Trump, extend their sincerest congratulations and well wishes to all of this year’s award recipients for their many accomplishments.”

I feel kinda silly because I didn't follow the Charlottesville thing too closely at first like I normally would. It was really only after the VICE documentary popped up that I really started paying attention.

The whole thing snowballed, mostly because Trump fumbled the response like four times

Translation: We didn't want to be there when someone inevitably gives us shit for Charlottesville.

The shade on the response is delicious

cO39Ifu.png

We were 70,000 votes away from having the wife of a man who led the country for 8 years as President become President. 100% qualified for the job unlike the current occupant. No matter a Clinton, Kennedy, Rockafeller etc. If they are qualified then it does not matter.

Yeah, this.

Also, I don't mind political dynasties because they kinda make sense as to how they form. It's not surprising that the children of a US president get into politics (Bush family, Kennedy family), and it's not surprising that two people who fall in love and get married end up in the same field (Clintons). It's not nefarious, just how we sort ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom