• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
DHnaJRgUwAA8xcU.jpg

Come on Trump, just say "nigger" you already endorsed the KKK....

Ogodei

Well, I find Tim Kaine to be an empathetic, endearing politician, which is pretty rare these days. Alas.

I also think his lack of charisma is way overstated. He's self-deprecating and genuine. Just miscast as an attack dog in the Hillary campaign.

I don't really understand these groupings. Are they ideological or geographic (or a little bit of both)? Demographic?

Ideological, i think. Booker's place there's a bit questionable, but i would put them in the groups of

1) "Cosmopolitan" Democrats (using cosmopolitan in a non-derogatory way), younger, more diverse, highest level of progressive on social issues but middling on economic issues.

2) Working-class Democrats, more establishment than Sanders but more economic left than either of the other groups

3) Moderates.

kess

I don't think I wanna see Tim Kaine debate again.

Yeah, Kaine aw-shucked his way to irrevevance by not putting the moral beatdown on Pence and nullified the positive momentum Clinton had coming out of her first debate with Trump.

Imagine a world where Romney won in 2012 and enjoyed 6 years of uninterrupted economic growth with an unchallenged Paul Ryan waiting in the wings for 2020.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah, Kaine aw-shucked his way to irrevevance by not putting the moral beatdown on Pence and nullified the positive momentum Clinton had coming out of her first debate with Trump.

Imagine a world where Romney won in 2012 and enjoyed 6 years of uninterrupted economic growth with an unchallenged Paul Ryan waiting in the wings for 2020.

Kaine spent the entire debate attacking Trump for his immorality. What exactly did you want him to do?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I know the thread hashed this out back when it happened, but it was obvious Kaine did exactly what the Clinton campaign wanted: focused on Trump and basically ignored Pence.

I think if Hillary had won we'd seriously be talking up Kaine for 2024.

Alas.
so what you're saying is that we lost the battle but won the war

kidding kind of but seriously who the fuck wants President Tim Kaine, his entire candidacy was process of elimination and being selected as the least offensive candidate

Ideological, i think. Booker's place there's a bit questionable, but i would put them in the groups of

1) "Cosmopolitan" Democrats (using cosmopolitan in a non-derogatory way), younger, more diverse, highest level of progressive on social issues but middling on economic issues.

2) Working-class Democrats, more establishment than Sanders but more economic left than either of the other groups

3) Moderates.
Klobuchar doesn't fit that well with group 2 then unless you're solely judging her based on constituency

Ogodei

so what you're saying is that we lost the battle but won the war

kidding kind of but seriously who the fuck wants President Tim Kaine, his entire candidacy was process of elimination and being selected as the least offensive candidate

Klobuchar doesn't fit that well with group 2 then unless you're solely judging her based on constituency

I feel like she'd hew to a more economically leftist message because of her constituency, yes.

It's not about where they are in reality, it's about where their audiences are, and i think Klobuchar's audience in a Dem primary would have more overlap with Brown or Warren than with Booker or Bullock.

kess

Kaine spent the entire debate attacking Trump for his immorality. What exactly did you want him to do?

Do you really think Kaine's performance was satisfactory? He should have gone directly after Pence's character, his refusal of taking any responsibilty for Trump's campaign, and cast Pence as an incompetent choice by an incompetent man.

Maledict

Do you really think Kaine's performance was satisfactory? He should have gone directly after Pence's character, his refusal of taking any responsibilty for Trump's campaign, and cast Pence as an incompetent choice by an incompetent man.

People don't vote for the VP. People were voting specifically for Trump, going after Pence made no sense at all. It's also very hard to portray a sitting governor and former house member as incompetent in the space of a short debate.

Let's be blunt - Clinton chose Kaine to shore up the White working class vote. It didn't work because they'd rather hate her and responded better to Trumps bigotry and racism. The only VP choice that might have worked would be someone who could have persuaded more of the African American electorate to turn out, because unfortunately we white people are terrible and need saving from ourselves.

kirblar

People don't vote for the VP. People were voting specifically for Trump, going after Pence made no sense at all. It's also very hard to portray a sitting governor and former house member as incompetent in the space of a short debate.

Let's be blunt - Clinton chose Kaine to shore up the White working class vote. It didn't work because they'd rather hate her and responded better to Trumps bigotry and racism. The only VP choice that might have worked would be someone who could have persuaded more of the African American electorate to turn out, because unfortunately we white people are terrible and need saving from ourselves.
She did not choose Kaine, a Civil Rights Lawyer from an educated, upper-class Purple-Blue state, to shore up the WWC vote.

Their strategy was to maximize urban turnout and eat the losses in rural areas. The first part was great, the second part bit them in the ass.

It's not just hard, it's impossible. Going after Pence would have been the wrong choice because Pence is the perfect conservative. Effective, consistent, charismatic. He looks and talks like an honest Christian man who loves his country. It's an eye-on-the-ball thing, I think. The best strategy was to constantly make conservatives feel bad that they were voting for Trump. Reminding them anything about Pence would have the opposite effect.

Saw this argument ben ferguson made that trump did a good job tweeting today, but he didn't. He started off calling the anti-hate protesters police agitators, not understanding the conversation going on in the country and being tone deaf as fuck.

So the only thing Trump did was not one up his complete fucking idiocy of the past tuesday. Congrats trump. You didn't meltdown again. That is the bar we're at for Trump surrogates. No meltdown = great day.

on what planet is Tim Kaine an appeal to the white working class? The most interesting thing about him was that he spoke Spanish and he was picked because he didn't have any scandals and was the first pick of the donor class threatening to withhold support if Warren was picked.

royalan

It's not just hard, it's impossible. Going after Pence would have been the wrong choice because Pence is the perfect conservative. Effective, consistent, charismatic. He looks and talks like an honest Christian man who loves his country. It's an eye-on-the-ball thing, I think. The best strategy was to constantly make conservatives feel bad that they were voting for Trump. Reminding them anything about Pence would have the opposite effect.

I think it was a bad play in hindsight. In the midst of the campaign, when everyone believed there was still a few drops of integrity left within the Republican Party, I think it made sense to keep reminding people of how awful Trump was in order to peel off some of those voters, or at least make them stay home. But now we know that Donald Trump is their kind of candidate, so I think going all-in on Pence and showing the country how much of a raging homophobe and racist that man is himself might have enraged enough of the Left to get more of them out to the polls.

...maybe

If Trump was impeached/removed from office/resigned and Pence took over, who would Pence's VP be?

Priebus? Romney? Rubio?

I think he'd keep Ryan in place to ensure an establishment ally as Speaker, there's no obvious successor.

I think going all-in or Pence and showing the country how much of a raging homophobe and racist that man is himself might have enraged enough of the Left to get more of them out to the polls.
Doubt it. All the people who vote "responsibly" (e.g. will vote against something) came out. You maximize turnout by giving people more of something to vote for.

If Trump was impeached/removed from office/resigned and Pence took over, who would Pence's VP be?

Priebus? Romney? Rubio?

I think he'd keep Ryan in place to ensure an establishment ally as Speaker, there's no obvious successor.
Ayotte or Sasse. Sasse makes more sense because he's positioning himself as a voice of moral authority. He's also really nice and likable.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Priebus? Romney? Rubio?

If we're floating Pence hypotheticals, I'm also curious if he would completely clean house of Trump people or keep some of them. I guess it's not that hard considering how few positions Trump has apparently filled.

sangreal

Haley and Sasse have way too much going for them to get caught up with Pence

Sasse especially as the original and remaining Never Trump. Why would he want to be associated with Trump's leftovers

Haley and Sasse have way too much going for them to get caught up with Pence

Sasse especially as the original and remaining Never Trump. Why would he want to be associated with Trump's leftovers
If Pence comes in to clean up the remains of Trump's failed presidency, Sasse can do a lot to help that. He would be rising to the occasion.

I still don't think Trump will ever be impeached though.

To me the problem with the debate wasn't so much Kaine's performance as the whole flawed strategy of the campaign: trying to make it exclusively about Trump's character.

Overall he was an uninspiring pick, but not an Eagleton level disaster or even Quayle bad.

Ogodei

Jeff Flake would actually be good, who otherwise has no future seemingly (lets Ducey swap him out for someone with a clean record).

kirblar

To me the problem with the debate wasn't so much Kaine's performance as the whole flawed strategy of the campaign: trying to make it exclusively about Trump's character.

Overall he was an uninspiring pick, but not an Eagleton level disaster or even Quayle bad.
Yeah, he was a mistake, but in the "lost opportunity" sense where there had to be an alternative w/ actual upside.

Pixieking

Banned

This is something that, even at the time, people were debating - Hillary ran a very negative campaign on the surface. It was only when people dug deeper - and in the debates - that she offered people positivity.

The flip-side of this is that at the time, this was a mostly sound strategy. In hindsight, it sucks, but at the time, attacking Trump for grabbing women by the pussy, his racism, his failure to pay his workers money, his willingness to hire non-American workers, his willingness to have his products manufactured outside the US, his inability to keep an even head (even when it came to Twitter), his spousal rape of his first wife, and his lack of any kind of public service... Oh, and I just remembered him walking in on pageant entrants as they were getting changed.

Read that paragraph and tell me honestly that any other time, Hillary (yes, even Hillary) wouldn't have won against a candidate like that, running on a mostly negative campaign.

The election was run more on Trump's moral character, and less on what Hillary could provide. The fact that Trump still won shows that the electorate mostly just didn't give a damn, because there's no way 60+ million people should've voted for Trump.

I'm now vaguely considering #ClintonWarrenWouldveWon.

I think Warren was my pick in the Gaf VP selection. It would've been marginally better, perhaps - doubling down on women and the economic Left - but also just as bad. The Rust Belt would still have gone to Trump, as would Florida - you just can't argue with the turnout (on either side) in Florida, and there are more racists in the pan-handle than there are hispanics voting dem.

Priebus? Romney? Rubio?

Wild card pick, Joe Manchin!

Don't think he'd accept, but could see the GOP trying to convince him.

Lmao at the idea that Keith Ellison could make a run for President when he couldn't even win the meaningless DNC chair. Less ridiculous than Tina Turner though I guess.

jtb

Banned
Would Pence beat Haley in a primary? I feel like she might have a better shot of the nomination than him.

Why on earth would Haley have any shot at beating anyone in the primary, let alone someone with the evangelical bona fides as Pence? She is the platonic ideal of everything the GOP electorate has spent the past decade rejecting over and over again.

I don't get the Haley hype at all.

kess

Assuming the theoretical vice presidential field for the Democrats in 2020, who would fit the mold of the Perfect Liberal? In any case, I understand the logic, but should he be on the ballot in three years, casting him as willing accomplice of white supremacy should not be off the table, especially in the context of conservatives like him. If he can, they all will.

Pixieking

Banned
Assuming the theoretical vice presidential field for the Democrats in 2020, who would fit the mold of the Perfect Liberal? In any case, I understand the logic, but should he be on the ballot in three years, casting him as willing accomplice of white supremacy should not be off the table, especially in the context of conservatives like him. If he can, they all will.

To be honest, anyone who rallied behind Trump in the lead-up and aftermath of the election should be cast as willing accomplice of white supremacy. Everyone knew what kind of person he was, and even moreso when he got cosy with Bannon. Any Republican who hasn't consistently pushed back against Trump since at least the inauguration, if not before, needs to be tarred with the Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist brush, especially when it comes to immigration. Make it as plain as day for the hispanic and asian demographics.

GrapeApes

Would Pence beat Haley in a primary? I feel like she might have a better shot of the nomination than him.
If Trump doesn't seek office again she'd still lose to Pence. He's got all the social cons and he's establishment as well. You best believe Republican primary voters would be asking who does she pray to. They'd be using her full name to signify her as other. Y'all underestimating the racism and sexism she'd face in a Republican primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom