• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

I was wondering if he was going to do the Kennedy Center thing - but I don't think Trump is ever going to do any of these events. He can't control what's said at them.

Yeah. This is the big thing. He wants assured confidence he'll receive nothing, but applause.

Holmes

Kander represented a suburb of Columbia when he was in the MO House, so a non starter for Congress. I believe it's in MO-4. So R+17.

Also you're not beating Ann Wagner in MO-2. She will do anything to save that seat, and so will the NRCC.
Yeah she'll kill a man and eat his heart

With any luck we'll get a revival of #NazisWithAPermit today!

Today's spin is that the counter-protesters in Boston don't have a permit so they should be banned. Right wing clearly not aware that their permit is an attempt by the city to make sure they can have a protest of some sort without being squelched by the general populace. Were it up to the public alone there'd be no rally in the first place! Ironically, being #NazisWithAPermit it for their own protection now.

Yeah Joe is not charismatic at all. Might be a nice Senator one day but that's about it. He's too soft and nice to be anything more than that. He doesn't have that edge John and Ted had.

Eusis

Gotta love how it was more important to Trump to use his 120 characters to write "Crooked" than to actually write out Stephen.
He really doesn't have respect for anyone else, does he?

Though I doubt many respect that fascist zombie anyway.

Drakeon

The idea that Cory "charisma is literally the only thing I have going for me" Booker isn't charismatic is ridiculous.

Did anyone specifically say Booker wasn't charismatic? He's just got baggage with the base, being so closely tied to Wall Street. I also think Deval Patrick isn't a bad option, but his Bain Capitol job hurts him with the Bernie wing just like Booker.

I'm not for Kennedy because he's a young white guy, I just knew I liked him when I heard him speak.

I would be thrilled with a big and diverse primary field for 2020, 2016 was a huge mistake in clearing the field, that's a terrible idea and we're better off with a larger (although maybe not quite as large as the republican field from 2016 got) group of candidates than smaller.

Booker drips charisma, he is a super talented politician.

Baggage doesn't matter if you're that charismatic. He will win the nomination and presidency in 2020.

gaugebozo

Did anyone specifically say Booker wasn't charismatic? He's just got baggage with the base, being so closely tied to Wall Street. I also think Deval Patrick isn't a bad option, but his Bain Capitol job hurts him with the Bernie wing just like Booker.

I'm not for Kennedy because he's a young white guy, I just knew I liked him when I heard him speak.

I would be thrilled with a big and diverse primary field for 2020, 2016 was a huge mistake in clearing the field, that's a terrible idea and we're better off with a larger (although maybe not quite as large as the republican field from 2016 got) group of candidates than smaller.
I think quality of the candidates is much more important. Look at the 2016 GOP primary.

Booker drips charisma, he is a super talented politician.

Baggage doesn't matter if you're that charismatic. He will win the nomination and presidency in 2020.
I don't disagree with this, I just don't like Booker that much. I'd be fine with voting for him in the general election.

That being said, #KlobucharOrBust

I wouldn't consider Bernie "charismatic". That word is dumb. People called Rubio "charismatic". One of the reasons why Bernie was successful was people thought he talked through bullshit, true or not. One of the reasons why Trump appeals to people who say "he speaks like me."

Can we not do Booker? Kamala is so much better.

kirblar

I wouldn't consider Bernie "charismatic". That word is dumb. People called Rubio "charismatic". One of the reasons why Bernie was successful was people thought he talked through bullshit, true or not. One of the reasons why Trump appeals to people who say "he speaks like me."

I dunno, Crab met him that one time and he reacted like he met Raptor Jesus at camp.

There's a difference between Sanders/Trump Charisma (which is more limited) and Obama-level general audience charisma. Booker definitely has the latter but remember kids, just say NO to NJ politicians.

Some combination of Harris and Brown (or Franken) would be my ideal ticket as of now.

I wonder how long before we see an all-female ticket, if ever.

It would be great if the media was enamoured by our 2020 candidate enough that Trump would feel like a second fiddle and constantly be screaming for attention with stupid stunts while PresiDem is charming everyone. I imagine this is what Carter-Reagan would have been like if Carter was also a petulant child.

thefro

Give me someone who's a smart, decent human being with charisma and who talks like a real person.

Obama definitely wouldn't win a 2020 primary if you're going to litmus-test every candidate to death.

Look at their social media replies. It's all trolls at the top trying to get a jump on them. They'll both run. I really think Booker will get wrecked though. He's such an easy target to attack,especially for Kamala. I think she finishes him off pretty quick.

Tall4Life

The VP is no longer a good position to launch a campaign from in the modern era. W/Obama had the right idea.

What's your reasoning behind this? Yeah Gore was pretty bad, but he came within like 1000 votes of winning. Bill -> Gore wasn't a slam dunk but it never was always. Eisenhower -> Nixon didn't work out until after LBJ.

I honestly doubt Cheney had serious aspirations of running for President, not to mention he would've been electoral poison after Bush 2

Biden chose not to run because of the death of his son, we don't know how we would've turned out

EDIT: I also like Kamala as she can help bring support from the minority population while we have a white guy running for President to appease the centrists

Diablos

y4ZxQRL.jpg
My stomach just turned

kirblar

What's your reasoning behind this? Yeah Gore was pretty bad, but he came within like 1000 votes of winning. Bill -> Gore wasn't a slam dunk but it never was always. Eisenhower -> Nixon didn't work out until after LBJ.

I honestly doubt Cheney had serious aspirations of running for President, not to mention he would've been electoral poison after Bush 2

Biden chose not to run because of the death of his son, we don't know how we would've turned out

EDIT: I also like Kamala as she can help bring support from the minority population while we have a white guy running for President to appease the centrists
Because it hasn't been going well. Bush coasted to election but had trouble in '92.

Dubya deliberately chose a more experienced VP w/ low political ambition. Obama did something similar w/ Biden.

Gore/Hillary both ran into issues as "exposed" politicians w/ below-average charisma that had a cleared field and had been open to GOP attack for years before they ran.

Given that Dems have been much more successful with younger candidates who have been fresh to the national conciousness, viewing the VP position as a pathway to the presidency....does not reflect reality. It's less a pathway and more a political death sentence.
Tell that to Mike Pence!
Mike "already has a presidential PAC" Pence is...quite the outlier.

kess

I dunno, Crab met him that one time and he reacted like he met Raptor Jesus at camp.

There's a difference between Sanders/Trump Charisma (which is more limited) and Obama-level general audience charisma. Booker definitely has the latter but remember kids, just say NO to NJ politicians.

I'd vote for Rush Holt if he ran for President

Tall4Life

Because it hasn't been going well. Bush coasted to election but had trouble in '92.

Dubya deliberately chose a more experienced VP w/ low political ambition. Obama did something similar w/ Biden.

Gore/Hillary both ran into issues as "exposed" politicians w/ below-average charisma that had a cleared field and had been open to GOP attack for years before they ran.

Given that Dems have been much more successful with younger candidates who have been fresh to the national conciousness, viewing the VP position as a pathway to the presidency....does not reflect reality. It's less a pathway and more a political death sentence.

Hillary was never VP, most she was was First Lady/Secretary of State. Not that that really matters, she was "exposed" for decades.

Bush 1 failed in 92 partly because he raised taxes/made new ones when he said he wouldn't. He won the first election because he was Reagan's VP so that proves my point. He failed in his reelection because of what he did during his presidency

Truman successfully won reelection when no one thought he would
LBJ was poisonous because of Vietnam, not because he was exposed as JFK's VP. He was a wonderful domestic President

Yeah, being VP isn't necessary to winning, it never was, but I think for Kamala it would help

kirblar

Hillary was never VP, most she was was First Lady/Secretary of State. Not that that really matters, she was "exposed" for decades.

Bush 1 failed in 92 partly because he raised taxes/made new ones when he said he wouldn't. He won the first election because he was Reagan's VP so that proves my point. He failed in his reelection because of what he did during his presidency

Truman successfully won reelection when no one thought he would
LBJ was poisonous because of Vietnam, not because he was exposed as JFK's VP. He was a wonderful domestic President

Yeah, being VP isn't necessary to winning, it never was, but I think for Kamala it would help
LBJ isn't relevant to the argument. He wasn't running for re-election after 8 years of a D administration.

Hillary was exposed for Decades. She should have left elected politics as a candidate after leaving the SoS position.

Harris taking the VP position would effectively end her political career. It's very unlikely that she would do so at her age.

Dems win with younger candidates. Younger candidates want older, more experienced VPs. The benefits of charisma do not pass on to a chosen successor.

royalan

Can someone explain to me what Gillibrand's appeal is? Somebody not from New York?

Because I get, but then again I don't. There's keeping your head low to avoid Republicans (and the far left) using you for target practice. And then there's doing little if anything to grow your national brand and reach out to the constituencies that you're going to need to win.

Barzul

Only reason I'm worried about Booker is that he's unmarried and if he won the nomination, we know Trump would go that low and dogwhistle his sexuality or something. I know he has a girlfriend but yeah still.

2016 election showed me that America is not as progressive as I envisioned. Then again like several have said if his charisma oozes then it might be something he could push past. I'm not kidding myself that it'll be a non-issue though.

Can someone explain to me what Gillibrand's appeal is? Somebody not from New York?

Because I get, but then again I don't. There's keeping your head low to avoid Republicans (and the far left) using you for target practice. And then there's doing little if anything to grow your national brand and reach out to the constituencies that you're going to need to win.
unless Bernie runs she's the only prospective candidate currently supporting single payer and she's amenable to left pressure. She's not my favorite but unless Brown or Bernie or Ellison runs she's probably my pick (as of...2017)

Bernie can't be charismatic because Jewish traditions don't use baptism with holy oil as an initiation ceremony.
I laughed.

And then cried. Never get into cults.

Not from NY, well close enough I guess but I was the same. I didn't get the appeal at all either until she demonstrated she is one of the only democrats apparently not stupid enough to believe that voting for horrible, unqualified or ethically compromised cabinate picks like Ben Carson or Chris Christie's bridge gate lawyer will give her some sort of political sway amongst republicans.

I wasn't into her at all but it does seem like she's, idk how to best say it but, "aware" of where we are at than many others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom