• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

This is something that, even at the time, people were debating - Hillary ran a very negative campaign on the surface. It was only when people dug deeper - and in the debates - that she offered people positivity.

The flip-side of this is that at the time, this was a mostly sound strategy. In hindsight, it sucks, but at the time, attacking Trump for grabbing women by the pussy, his racism, his failure to pay his workers money, his willingness to hire non-American workers, his willingness to have his products manufactured outside the US, his inability to keep an even head (even when it came to Twitter), his spousal rape of his first wife, and his lack of any kind of public service... Oh, and I just remembered him walking in on pageant entrants as they were getting changed.

Read that paragraph and tell me honestly that any other time, Hillary (yes, even Hillary) wouldn't have won against a candidate like that, running on a mostly negative campaign.

The election was run more on Trump's moral character, and less on what Hillary could provide. The fact that Trump still won shows that the electorate mostly just didn't give a damn, because there's no way 60+ million people should've voted for Trump.

I think Warren was my pick in the Gaf VP selection. It would've been marginally better, perhaps - doubling down on women and the economic Left - but also just as bad. The Rust Belt would still have gone to Trump, as would Florida - you just can't argue with the turnout (on either side) in Florida, and there are more racists in the pan-handle than there are hispanics voting dem.

A big thing that fucked everything up though with the negative stuff about trump was the media in trying to be "fair" tried to equivalent everything he did with something Hillary did when the candidates were on entirely separate moral planes. Basically the media made all trumps transgressions equal to Hillary's. This basically negated the negative campaign tactic.

Pixieking

Banned
A big thing that fucked everything up though with the negative stuff about trump was the media in trying to be "fair" tried to equivalent everything he did with something Hillary did when the candidates were on entirely separate moral planes. Basically the media made all trumps transgressions equal to Hillary's. This basically negated the negative campaign tactic.

Yeah, and it not just negated the attacks, but I think backfired on Hillary immensely. When news stations and papers are equating what you've done with emails (which the previous Republican administration's Secretary of Defense also did) with what someone who grabs women by the pussy does, you've got a problem.

The media generally - and some institutions specifically more than others - absolutely lost their moral compass.

Pixieking

Banned
Further to my point about tarring all Republicans with the Trump brush...

Where Republican senators stand on President Trump

We gauged where senators stand in relation to President Trump on a wide range of controversial issues: Whether they supported or criticized Trump's firing of FBI Director James B. Comey in May, whether they supported or criticized the Senate's unpopular repeal plan for the Affordable Care Act in July, and whether they supported or criticized a proposed budget Trump released in May. We also looked at a senator's overall rhetoric toward Trump since he was inaugurated, and how they reacted to Trump's comments on the Charlottesville protests.

Most are true neutral, or lean positive.

I'm now vaguely considering #ClintonWarrenWouldveWon.
You mean what if Hillary selected a VP that actually served the purpose of helping solidify support from the base of the party that Hillary was weak with

Nah. Wouldn't made a difference at all.

But seriously yeah. Pence actually did that. He was a quality VP selection that helped legitimize Trump with a large part of the republican base. Hillary should have done the same. Kaine did literally nothing for her and the selection said nothing other than Hillary believing that 90s political rules still applied

I don't actually think this tops agreeing with Nazi terrorists.

I think it does. Actually saying the N word will be harder for right wing news outlets to spin than some sort of general off kilter interview in which they can better control the narative/ point they claim Trump was trying to make.

But then again even if there is a N word drop by Trump they'll probably just replay that time Obama said it over and over and dismiss it that way.

Teggy

Wait a minute...it was Biden's suit all along!

DHj3QReUQAEHC2x

I think it does. Actually saying the N word will be harder for right wing news outlets to spin than some sort of general off kilter interview in which they can better control the narative/ point they claim Trump was trying to make.

But then again even if there is a N word drop by Trump they'll probably just replay that time Obama said it over and over and dismiss it that way.

I guess my line of (somewhat inebriated) reasoning is largely this. But I'm ultimately not sure of how much of Trump's steadfast 35‰ could actually be swayed by his using blunt racial slurs.

Dems in disarray, not fundraising enough, no monies.

Dems in disarray, spending all their time fundraising instead of ropelining.

Money no longer matters in politics, look at Trump.

Citizens United is the most important issue in politics.

tuxfool

Banned
Dems in disarray, not fundraising enough, no monies.

Dems in disarray, spending all their time fundraising instead of ropelining.

Money no longer matters in politics, look at Trump.

Citizens United is the most important issue in politics.

You should post this in that thread.

Maengun1

Ivanka tweeting out about how good it is to see people protesting.

God damn this fucking family.

There's no need to rank the Trumps on a scale of awfulness, but Ivanka is just....I just.....I can't. It's just soooo infuriating on its own special level.

*Trump says something completely awful*
*Don Jr. parrots the completely awful thing*
*Eric parrots the completely awful thing*
Ivanka: "The Trump family stands in proud opposition to that awful thing, and have love for all, obviously :). Thanks for the kind words everyone :)."

Like why. Why. WHY EVEN BOTHER.

There's no need to rank the Trumps on a scale of awfulness, but Ivanka is just....I just.....I can't. It's just soooo infuriating on its own special level.

Ivanka: "The Trump family stands in proud opposition to that awful thing, and have love for all, obviously :). Thanks for the kind words everyone :)."

Because it works and people on the news keep saying shes a great person and a positive influence on Trump, and none of them are willing to criticize her or point out how it's totally stupid that she says that her dad feels and thinks things he clearly doesn't

Ivanka would have just abandoned her father if she had any dignity. Instead she helped get him elected and then turns around and pretends to be a Liberal Icon. Tragic.

royalan

Ivanka would have just abandoned her father if she had any dignity. Instead she helped get him elected and then turns around and pretends to be a Liberal Icon. Tragic.

What's tragic is that it works.

Even on GAF you'll see people who typically take a hard line on the Trumps go out of their way to white knight her.

She's aware of her privilege and goes out of her way to exploit it. Moreso than any of her siblings.

Pixieking

Banned
Not thread-worthy, and only somewhat related to politics, really, but...

The NYTimes chief book critic Michiko Kakutani has left the paper (been pushed out, nearly).

That, in itself, is interesting for a view into the NYT as it stands now, and as it moves forwards pushing more into digital and newspaper-consumer interactions. But in addition, that article links to two non-review pieces by Kakutani, which may have been missed at the time.

Donald Trump's Chilling Language, and the Fearsome Power of Words and Transcript: President Obama on What Books Mean to Him. Both interesting reads, and even moreso when you consider that "she signed a multiple-book deal with Crown's Tim Duggan Books. The first book, published next year, will be a controversial political book of her own, a cultural history of ”alternative facts" titled The Death of Truth.".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not thread-worthy, and only somewhat related to politics, really, but...

The NYTimes chief book critic Michiko Kakutani has left the paper (been pushed out, nearly).

That, in itself, is interesting for a view into the NYT as it stands now, and as it moves forwards pushing more into digital and newspaper-consumer interactions. But in addition, that article links to two non-review pieces by Kakutani, which may have been missed at the time.

Donald Trump’s Chilling Language, and the Fearsome Power of Words and Transcript: President Obama on What Books Mean to Him. Both interesting reads, and even moreso when you consider that "she signed a multiple-book deal with Crown’s Tim Duggan Books. The first book, published next year, will be a controversial political book of her own, a cultural history of “alternative facts” titled The Death of Truth.".

I'd say it's thread worthy. It's pretty big news in the world of literature.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what happened with Trump and Boston today?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Basically he started calling out "anti-police agitators" in boston, not so subtly criticizing the anti-nazi side of the protests, then moved onto "divided country", then finally congratulating the anti-nazi side.

Just like the charlottesville incident, the first statement is what counts, and you can't get a redo on it an hour later. Even if he started with the right statement, there's never a good time to criticize peaceful anti-nazi protests.

Pixieking

Banned
I'd say it's thread worthy. It's pretty big news in the world of literature.

Fair. Just posted the thread in OT. Also,

But one book publicist did have a premonition a week before the announcement. She had emailed Kakutani about a controversial political book for the early fall, which was technically under embargo,

Probably Hillary's book on the 2016 election.

In 2010, Mr. Zuckerberg and Dr. Chan gave $100 million to improve the public schools in Newark. The money expanded high-performing charter schools but encountered fierce resistance from many parents, community activists and unions.
Yeah, if Zuckerberg even thinks about running, it better not be as a Democrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom