• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_

Banned
Isn't it the parliamentarian? I don't get it, would McConnell, et al. just ignore the parliamentarian unless Bernie raised her objections or something?
"The provisions of the original Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA) that violate the rule under the budget reconciliation process were disclosed by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, the ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee."

Ogodei

I think we're at a point where BCRA isn't what we need to worry about as much as McConnell's skinny repeal.

Skinny repeal doesn't bother me. It'll murder individual insurance eventually and backfire on the GOP in the worst way, but it doesn't fuck with Medicaid, so the most vulnerable people will weather it.

The employer mandate i feel is neither here nor there: if your employer *really* couldn't afford health insurance, they figured out how to dodge it already.

R/the_donald's top thread is a tantrum about how a CNN headline interpreted a Trump tweet to say that Sessions is weak when the tweet ACTUALLY said Sessions has a weak position.

The poor souls...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Good thing I'll be in a Zen monastery for two weeks. I bet I will return to a fuckin' war zone, though...

Ok, you can't just drop that bit of information and leave.

Skinny repeal doesn't bother me. It'll murder individual insurance eventually and backfire on the GOP in the worst way, but it doesn't fuck with Medicaid, so the most vulnerable people will weather it.

The employer mandate i feel is neither here nor there: if your employer *really* couldn't afford health insurance, they figured out how to dodge it already.

This is my opinion as well

The stakes feel A LOT lower now with the skinny repeal being the direction they're going. It's no longer 25 million losing their insurance in 3 years, with the end of Medicaid as we know it, and a bunch of other garbage. It would have profoundly changed the entire healthcare of the country for the worse, and caused thousands, if not millions, to have their lives cut short for no reason at all.

Removing the mandate is entirely fixable. It's "only" 15 million over 10 years losing insurance, so it's enough time to get back in and make repairs before the major damage is done.

My grandparents rely on Medicaid to remain independent and not need to live in assisted living. They have a home aid that comes in every day and helps my grandma care for my grandpa. I'd be lying if I didn't occasionally worry their last 5-10 years of their life would be unsettled and more difficult than it needs to be.

I'd prefer that nothing passes and we all laugh at how dumb McConnell is, but the skinny repeal is immensely more fixable and very much less damaging to the entire healthcare of our country than anything the Senate or House had proposed up until now.

And yet I'm not even really sure that can pass at this point. Hitting the magic number 50 with all the various factions with such a simple bill seems impossible.

Foffy

Banned
Ok, you can't just drop that bit of information and leave.

What do you mean?

I think things are gonna get worse with the shitheap we have. Be it more Russia scandals or actually getting this sociopathic health "care" plan passed. Being gone two weeks is being gone seven months in this current climate.

Unless you mean the Zen jazz. That's self explanatory. ;)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What do you mean?

I think things are gonna get worse with the shitheap we have. Be it more Russia scandals or actually getting this sociopathic health "care" plan passed. Being gone two weeks is being gone seven months in this current climate.

Unless you mean the Zen jazz. That's self explanatory. ;)

Yeah, the Zen jazz.
How does one end up spending two weeks doing that?

jtb

Banned
I'm not convinced Republicans haven't given up on gutting Medicaid.

Turning entitlements into block grants to fund tax cuts for the rich is basically the extent of the party's policy agenda. Don't really know where you'd go beyond there.

How do they get the votes? I have no idea. Push the pain ten years down the line? I dunno. But really: why is Susan Collins even a Republican if she won't stake her political career on gouging poor people?

Yeah, the Zen jazz.
My cousin did a silent meditation retreat in Michigan a few years back. It sounded restful. Actually the political writer Andrew Sullivan did one to, among other things, decompress from being wired into politics nonstop for a decade. After this year I think I could use it, frankly. He had a nice piece that talked about it and internet addiction.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/09/andrew-sullivan-technology-almost-killed-me.html

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Again: This isn't about health care. This is driven by Trump's insane obsession about "a win." He just wants something. If republicans are dumb enough to go along with it, they'll have to deal with the consequences.
Does the Republican leadership really believe that they can put the issue behind them when millions of people are losing their health insurance? They will either have to spend the next three years trying to fix their mess (which would require coming up with a real solution, assuming they're even capable of it) or they will risk losing Congress to the Democrats, in which case the Democrats will easily vote to restore the individual mandate or go much farther. Anyway, I haven't seen a plausible scenario for how they will convince Collins, Murkowski, and Paul to vote for this bill, unless Paul ends up caving.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah, the Zen jazz.

Well, I've been affiliated with this monastery for over a year, and they allow residency after you've gone through student training. I liked my time back there in January which was for one week, so I figured I would try two. I was originally planning an entire month, but by being a member of the precariat I lack the income, so I worked out two weeks with them.

I've been interested in Zen and Vedanta as disciplines because they focus on 'nondualism' which, to give the tl;dr, is a better way of understanding the mind and illusions of divisions, which is almost always where suffering occurs. Our society is one where we assert divisions, and bam, out comes conflict; the GOP is literally a platform for this. My support for UBI actually stems from this position, as work is more than what we divide it to be as "real" with jobs. Work is all sorts of activity, and so long as we cut that up and only say "X is canon" this will be a real mess. I am reminded of the following poster every time I reflect on it.

QsY5SVA.jpg

What pushed me here was the suffering I had in my own life: the fear of death and feelings of deep dualism. It might be hard to believe, but if you spoke to me five years ago and even suggested my organism was connected to fish via evolution, I would have been physically triggered. I was that caught up in the illusions of isolation, that I really was a fixed special snowflake, and through time and practice, I have become aware how loose such views are, but I always remember how hard those illusions felt when I was trapped in them. That's one of my motivations to be of service to others, and why when the topic catches my attention on places like GAF and other, I try to challenge the illusions of self and "me-ness" we think are things but are really only thoughts and ideas. Just reading this, countless cells in your body have come and gone. Where is this fixed "supervisor" to your reading this? We think it's there, and that creates an ocean of problems. This 'think' is not a 'thing' like an organ.

Vocationally, I used to work in hospice, but I saw I dealt with pain of the body, and suffering of the mind was kind of off limits; it's preaching in that environment, and not a position I can challenge. My frustration there was the motivator to try another life direction with this more as the foreground and less as the background, which I've been juggling for almost two years now. I'm stuck in the "selling water by the river" paradox: there's nothing to learn or gain with where I'm going or what I'm doing. It's all inquisition and realization, and not acquisition. How do you teach people their default ways of mind that have been overlooked?

No idea if I want to be a monk, though. I struggle with the idea of living in refuge. If self and other go together, who is really winning if I am hiding from the rest of you in society as the shitlords bomb decency off the map? One of the reasons I harp on accountable policies is because the alternative is what we have, and this is a bridge to disaster. We're going to hit Ecological Debt Day while I'm gone, and that's just one of the many problems forced onto us by the way we live!

Hope my rambling was helpful in explaining what it is and my motivations. I would be happy to share more in PM if asked; don't wanna clog the thread with this stuff. We got policies to be concerned about.

New Hampshire, as I've said before, continues to puzzle me. Two Democratic senators, two Democratic representatives. They obviously liked their last Democratic governor because they elected her senator, but then they elected fuckin' John Sununu's son to be the current governor.

And why does a state so small need like 5,000 House seats?

Dear leader's morning tweetleaking could have sustained three whole presidential smear campaigns if a Democrat did it. Now, it's another brief note in the daily whirlwind. (Granted the vote is something that effects much more lives, just speaking in an isolated context.)

JettDash

If the Trump Organization is really a front for washing dirty Russian money, Trump is the stupidest person in the history of the world for running for president.

If the Trump Organization is really a front for washing dirty Russian money, Trump is the stupidest person in the history of the world for running for president.

This is Trump we are talking about here.....

My personal theory is the Trump org needs Russian investment to stay afloat.

More on tonight's race:

NH SD 16

Kevin Cavanaugh (Democratic) 54.7% 4,746
David Boutin (Republican) 44.0% 3,814
Jason Dubrow (Libertarian) 1.3% 109

Clinton: 47.68%
Trump: 47.37%

Romney: 50.02%
Obama: 48.95%

Also, well!!!

@ChairmanBuckley
Just throwing this out here... Last time a NH Democrat won a state senate special election was February 1984 #nhpolitics

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is Trump we are talking about here.....

My personal theory is the Trump org needs Russian investment to stay afloat.
That's my theory as well. The comments about outsized investment from Russia came after the real estate bubble burst. They are probably so deep in Russian debt they don't dare Rock the boat in any way. And they hope being good to Russia might get their debt forgiven considering it's so entrenched in oligarchy.
So even if there's no overt collusion, it's that nagging hope in the back of their mind.

More on tonight's race:

NH SD 16

Kevin Cavanaugh (Democratic) 54.7% 4,746
David Boutin (Republican) 44.0% 3,814
Jason Dubrow (Libertarian) 1.3% 109

Clinton: 47.68%
Trump: 47.37%

Romney: 50.02%
Obama: 48.95%

Also, well!!!

Republicans won't be able to put funding into all their '18 House races like they did special elections re: GA with Handel. Expect to see a lot more of this, ESPECIALLY with the healthcare shit plowing down the lane.

Republicans won't be able to put funding into all their '18 House races like they did special elections re: GA with Handel. Expect to see a lot more of this, ESPECIALLY with the healthcare shit plowing down the lane.

GA-06 will be one of my most watched House races next year. I assume Ossoff will try for a rematch. He already has the name recognition, the campaign infrastructure, and he knows the area. Trump will have gotten even more unpopular by then (if he hasn't left office in some way). Georgians seem to have a history of souring on Handel quickly.

He can do it this time.

Some others I eagerly anticipate include the following:

CA-49 (Issa), because this douche needs to go FINALLY.

AZ-02 (McSally), because I hate seeing her hateful ass in Gabrielle Giffords's old territory. Awkward Ann can do this.

FL-27 (Ros-Lehtinen, retiring), because a Republican will very nicely hand us a seat.

CO-6 (Mike Coffman), because he's hung on one too many times in a Democratic district.

KS-03 (Yoder), because Yoder's a frat boy douche and Hillary won his district.

...Summer vacation gives me way too much free time.

GA-06 will be one of my most watched House races next year. I assume Ossoff will try for a rematch. He already has the name recognition, the campaign infrastructure, and he knows the area. Trump will have gotten even more unpopular by then (if he hasn't left office in some way). Georgians seem to have a history of souring on Handel quickly.

He can do it this time.

I hope so, I'll hit the canvassing trail again that's for sure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...51f3fc-7172-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

In a recent conversation, Sessions’s chief of staff Jody Hunt told Trump Chief of Staff Reince Priebus that the attorney general had no intention of stepping down. Hunt, according to people familiar with the conversation, made it clear to Priebus that Sessions “plans to move forward with his agenda in the department and he has no plans for resigning,’’ according to one person familiar with the exchange. Priebus, for his part, did not say Trump planned to fire Sessions if he did not leave, these people said.

Trump’s reluctance to act on his anger and fire Sessions may be based in part on the lack of an immediate plan for a successor at the Justice Department. While Trump has discussed potential candidates to replace Sessions, senior White House officials have not settled on someone, and may not anytime soon, administration officials said. If Sessions were to be fired without even a temporary replacement lined up, the deputy attorney general who oversees the Russia probe, Rod J. Rosenstein, would assume authority over the entire Justice Department.

One Republican close to the White House said a number of senior aides, including newly hired communications director Anthony Scaramucci, have urged Trump to sit down with Sessions and work through their differences. So far, there has been little enthusiasm for that suggestion, the Republican said.

One informal adviser to the Trump White House said there is another reason Trump has yet to fire Sessions: “The president doesn’t want to be seen as firing another law enforcement official.’’

After Trump fired Comey, one unintended consequence was the appointment of Robert S. Mueller III as special counsel overseeing the Russia probe.

WEAK

Senior White House aide says Sessions is not going to resign. "He's going to make Trump make a decision."
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/890000417098256385

Love that Sessions is calling his bluff.

She has impressed me so much. Whether she aspires to anything higher than senator, I know not, but she definitely has the thirst and the savvy.

@RepJackyRosen
Today, @SenateGOP put profits over people & moved forward on stripping away health care from millions of Americans. I'm appalled.

she's got that Noam Chomsky language to appeal to the left side of the party too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom