• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I don't see Paul voting for a "skinny repeal", he'd see it as a stop gap.
If you believe that Paul's "ALL OR NOTHING" stance is a cover to let him pretend to be against it while letting it stick, then him voting perma-No is a legit thing. They'd have to flip Murkowski.

The current bill on the Senate floor is the House's AHCA. This vote right now is an amendment to change the bill to the BCRA (the Senate's original bill). It just failed. Later this week McConnell will unveil his own amendment which will be the actual bill he wants to pass.

Ok, so BCRA that was out publicly failed because it needed the 60 to meet the determination of the parliamentarian. So AHCA is still the base bill they're debating on and working on? And then another amendment will be introduced to modify it.

So wouldn't that mean BCRA as it was is dead?

Doesn't McConnell lose reconciliation after this series of votes since we've already motioned to proceed to debate?

No, reconciliation is a budget thing. Technically they have until Oct. 1, but that's to pass *everything* they want to pass (because everything would be filibustered otherwise).

They have very little time to do the things they want to do.

BCRA is completely dead.

kirblar

Ok, so BCRA that was out publicly failed because it needed the 60 to meet the determination of the parliamentarian. So AHCA is still the base bill they're debating on and working on? And then another amendment will be introduced to modify it.

OG BCRA is dead.

AHCA is basically dead because it's the same as the BCRA.

The endgame here is either McConnell's "skinny" version (which might not even get enough votes!) or a curveball bipartisan bill.

Ogodei

I have a hard time seeing skinny repeal get around the Freedom Caucus. Not without bringing massive medicaid cuts (and defunding planned parenthood) back on the table.

Imagine them having to sell skinny repeal as this GREAT BILL THAT WILL DEFEAT THE HORRORS OF OBAMACARE.

I have a hard time seeing skinny repeal get around the Freedom Caucus. Not without bringing massive medicaid cuts (and defunding planned parenthood) back on the table.

Need 60 votes for that shit too.

tbh, not that this is my preferred outcome in the slightest but just repealing the mandate would be a lot better than I imagined would happen on Nov 9th.

The BCRA as we know it appears to be dead.

But there's reason to believe that the GOP knew it was going to die. What we're expecting next is that they put up what they call a "Skinny Repeal." It would only repeal the individual mandate of Obamacare, would only need 50 votes, and would basically be a disaster for the health insurance. The idea would then be for them to fix it later.

It's unclear if Skinny Repeal will get the votes, because the plan was basically thrown together really quickly.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they all just really want to go on vacation and are rushing the votes to say it's dead r/n lmao

*an attempt was made*

Barzul

What happens if the Senate votes on bill before the CBO and Parliametarian review and it's later found out to be in violation of the Byrd rule? What happens then?

she's got that Noam Chomsky language to appeal to the left side of the party too.

Why should any republican senator be bothered by the idea that she's appalled?

The CEOs of 70 of the largest U.S. health care companies cumulatively have earned $9.8 billion in the seven years since the Affordable Care Act was passed, and their earnings have grown faster than most Americans' during that time, according to an Axios analysis of federal financial documents.

https://www.axios.com/the-sky-high-pay-of-health-care-ceos-2442398819.html

The GOP simply wants to help people. There's no shame in that.

OG BCRA is dead.

The endgame here is either McConnell's "skinny" version (which might not even get enough votes!) or a curveball bipartisan bill.
So McCain did indeed vote on BRCA as-is despite saying he wouldn't hours before?

What happens if the Senate votes on bill before the CBO and Parliametarian review and it's later found out to be in violation of the Byrd rule? What happens then?

Can a bill like this without a CBO score even require just 50 votes?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes--now the anger at McCain is justified. Pointless speech earlier.

ezekial45

Banned
Ok, I'm confused. So the thing they voted on earlier that got enough votes was just struck down? Making this whole process, including McCain's presence a waste of time.

Is that what happened?

And I'd assume the next step/amendment is straight repeal to make Rand Paul happy? Then finally the last chance (skinny repeal) that, let's be honest, will probably pass because GOP?

Ok, I'm confused. So the thing they voted on earlier that got enough votes was just struck down? Making this whole process, including McCain's presence a waste of time.

Is that what happened?

They're just aiming at a "skinny repeal now" which just gets rid of the mandate and a medical device tax. Their original bill with the Cruz amendment failed, a "repeal only" bill will fail worse. It's fucking clownshoes and getting rid of the mandate would collapse the single payer market all the same. They're fucked.

They're just aiming at a "skinny repeal now" which just gets rid of the mandate and a medical device tax. Their original bill with the Cruz amendment failed, a "repeal only" bill will fail worse. It's fucking clownshoes and getting rid of the mandate would collapse the single payer market all the same. They're fucked.

But laughingstock told me they're trying to repeal to stop the greedy CEOs. He told me the GOP cares!

OG BCRA is dead.

What about death by a thousand cuts? Ex. They introduce legislation over time that chips away at various pieces of the ACA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom