• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day #2 of the White House's Shitshow Week is nearing a close. Come back Wednesday for bouncy castle on the South Lawn! Donny gets first dibs!

The moderate darlings must be terrified.

"Walls closing in...darkest secrets being unearthed...running out of close allies...Daddy Vlady getting impatient...I know! I'll threaten from a position of strength!"

Murkowski: "You can't threaten a woman with death who's seen hell! Bring it!"

banner-jacky-rosen-01.jpg

Wait, hold on, I agree with you, except substituting the word genocide for chemical warfare. The word genocide refers to deliberate eradication and murder of specific ethnicities or cultures, which the Assad side isn't really doing. I think Valhelm consumed the whole thread once over this point last week.

They're democratic, but it's not like you just give arms to the YPG, they somehow win the war, and suddenly Syria is a democracy.

I don't you full understand. Firstly the YPG is not fully Kurdish there's a mixture Arabs. Secondly, the SDF is a multi-ethnic force that has the foreigners, Assyrians, Arabs, Kurds, and I think some Turkmen. They basically give control over the locals after they take the areas, well that is the idea anyway. They did it with Manbij and will with Raqqa. That is the basic idea they have for the rest of the country, I imagine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Democratic_Council
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rojava#Politics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Rojava

The US government gives weapons to basically everyone in the SDF. YPG and other groups as well within the SDF.

pigeon

Banned
You're still doing a lot of deflecting, so let's clarify. My point is that you are actually fine with genocidal dictators. Your response is:

I mean.. you've created a fictional solution that works so you don't have to answer the binary.

So I'll do the same... I support military intervention to remove a genocidal dictator if you can guarantee that we don't have another Iraq.

This is obviously impossible, so I think my point is proved by now -- you oppose genocide and you're willing to support absolutely no effort to stop it. How brave! Truly the new left's moral credentials are unimpeachable.

Kusagari

We already know how Collins and Murkowski feel anyway.

I want an entrenched diehard Republican on a hot mic giving their honest feelings about Trump.

The only way we'll ever have a candidate as unpopular as Hillary again is if we nominate someone who's had 20+ years of smear tactics chucked at them on the national stage who remained in the spotlight for all those years, gets wrapped up into a relative nothing Burger FBI Investigation (Yes, what she did was wrong, but every other secretary prior to her did the exact same shit), whose only elected office they held was effectively one of the safest seats in the fucking country, and we give them free run of the primary(of her competitors only Bernie was actually committed to the thing and the relative weight of her support in the Primaries)

McConnell right now:

mXc5kOG.png
Beautiful.

Is it ok if I engage in some shameless self-promotion here? As some of you know I'm doing a musical based on the life of former MN Senator Paul Wellstone, and I'm raising funds via Kickstarter to pay for the production costs. We're only $71 away from our goal, and our deadline is 6 days from now. There are about a million other things that might be more worthy of donations right now so I understand if no one bites, but if you want to chip in a few bucks that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks gang.

I think talk of intervention is a bit circular since one side (my own side) uses the eradication of the Nazi Party by way of military unnerved intervention and then execution of their leaders, while the other side uses Iraq and its horrendous outcomes.

I think my question for the other side is "If we dumped billions into rebuilding Syria like we did Europe and Japan after we killed Assad, would you back it?" Another way of saying this is whether you'd support US entry into WW2 knowing about the genocide of the Nazis.

Loxley

Regarding the Russia sanctions bill and what Trump will do - seeing as he normally chooses the absolute worst option when presented a number to choose from, I'm guessing he will try to veto it.

Foffy

Banned
Man, I realize I lose mindfulness and peace in myself when I talk to conservatives.

"Socialized medicine can't work here! It's not worked since 2010 when we tried it! It only raises prices!"

"Prices were going up anyway though. You likely need a model like Switzerland to deal with this."

"SOCIALIZED MEDICINE IS BAD AND CAN'T WORK HERE! Thankfully the Republican plan will fully repeal and get us back to what works, the free market."

"The free market fucks people over via chargemasters and shady companies like EmCare, though..."

"SOCIALIZED MEDICINE IS BAD AND CAN'T WORK HERE! If you want socialized medicine, LEAVE!"

Makes you wish these people are the first motherfuckers taken out with the GOP plan, as dark as that is to say...

You can't cure stupid.

pigeon

Banned
Man, I realize I lose mindfulness and peace in myself when I talk to conservatives.

"Socialized medicine can't work here! It's not worked since 2010 when we tried it! It only raises prices!"

"Prices were going up anyway though. You likely need a model like Switzerland to deal with this."

"SOCIALIZED MEDICINE IS BAD AND CAN'T WORK HERE! Thankfully the Republican plan will fully repeal and get us back to what works, the free market."

"The free market fucks people over via chargemasters and shady companies like EmCare, though..."

"SOCIALIZED MEDICINE IS BAD AND CAN'T WORK HERE! If you want socialized medicine, LEAVE!"

Makes you wish these people are the first motherfuckers taken out with the GOP plan, as dark as that is to say...

You can't cure stupid.

When even Foffy is like "some of these people should just die" that's when you know things have really gotten dark.

PBY

Banned
I think talk of intervention is a bit circular since one side (my own side) uses the eradication of the Nazi Party by way of military unnerved intervention and then execution of their leaders, while the other side uses Iraq and its horrendous outcomes.

I think my question for the other side is "If we dumped billions into rebuilding Syria like we did Europe and Japan after we killed Assad, would you back it?" Another way of saying this is whether you'd support US entry into WW2 knowing about the genocide of the Nazis.
With the caveat that we apply the same logic to other genocidal dictators, not just in the Middle East.

Foffy

Banned
When even Foffy is like "some of these people should just die" that's when you know things have really gotten dark.

It's also a reminder I have more work to do on myself. How do you have compassion for those who lack it seems to be a really challenging situation in today's climate, as this is basically directed at conservatism itself.

Good thing I'll be in a Zen monastery for two weeks. I bet I will return to a fuckin' war zone, though...

I just looked it up and she said.

I have no idea.

Was reported earlier today. Repeal/replace bill sent out to die, then the BHRA w/Cruz amendment which requires 60 votes and will die too. Then amendment-palooza. I think the only major thing they'll do is shitcan the individual mandate...and moderates might even balk at that given the premium increases it'll generate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom