• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
DFyY_nCWsAEz6KF.jpg:large

They're gonna ram it through somehow.

Barzul

If they override it they're fucked. The next Dem majority we get, we're going to get that welfare state they so thoroughly hate.

As I said in another thread, the HSA increase and medical device tax change reduces tax revenue, and I don't see anything else here that would compensate for that. This is a 60 vote bill.

EDIT: Also about 2.5 Billion in increased spending added for the Health Centers / States (422M up front and another 2B for States possible if requested). No way in hell this is a 50 vote bill...

I thought Rand Paul was one of the consistent 'no's until recently.
He was a no before Collins was during this whole process. Only recently when it looked like a clean repeal was on the table did he switch, and he was open to a skinny repeal, but not one that included additional junk as this one does.

Kusagari

If they nuke the filibuster it will make this all worth it because it means they can't stop us in 2020 and we won't have to worry about Democrats waffling over tradition.

PP defunding passed the parliamentarian in 2015.

Maybe they think they can get it passed.

Or maybe they plan to just steamroll the parliamentarian.

This was literally ruled on last week! PP defunding was found to violate the Byrd Rule! Any move to steamroll that just ends the legislative filibuster.

If they override it they're fucked. The next Dem majority we get, we're going to get that welfare state they so thoroughly hate.

The next time the Dems get majority they'll insist on working together with Repubs and we'll be back where we started. As a Dem I wish I had more confidence in my own party but I don't.

Barzul

Why debate when the bill needs 60 unless they plan on overruling her? This bill isn't "skinny". Fuck I actually think it might be worse than the BRCA.

Zolo

Why debate when the bill needs 60 unless they plan on overruling her? This bill isn't "skinny". Fuck I actually think it might be worse than the BRCA.

Imagine if McConnell could have had a vote without needing anyone to actually see the bill at all.

The next time the Dems get majority they'll insist on working together with Repubs and we'll be back where we started. As a Dem I wish I had more confidence in my own party but I don't.

What? The Dems have been as effective as they can be in ensuring the GOP gets as little through as possible. They may be a lot of things, but they haven't been spineless here.

They either nuke the filibuster to get this through or it gets shot down at 60 and they throw up their hands. That's the only options they have.

Owzers

Catch people off guard late at night with Paul Ryan guarantees and get them to vote yes. Not a bad move...for a turtle.

What? The Dems have been as effective as they can be in ensuring the GOP gets as little through as possible. They may be a lot of things, but they haven't been spineless here.

Plus if it weren't for Dems we wouldn't have the ACA in the first place. Everything is terrible right now because, you know, McConnell is doing everything it seems he can to shove his bullshit down our throats.

I don't disagree, they're in unity now, and I imagine they'll be in unity if they regain majority, but I think that majority in unity will still wish to "work with" Republicans when they get back power.

pigeon

Banned
The PP defunding was changed to a higher reimbursement threshold from the previous language.

If the parliamentarian rules it in order, that's why.

@IanSams
Murray, Murphy, Tester, Brown and Manchin all speak in a row, urging regular order consideration of health bill in the relevant committees.

Literally as ideologically diverse on the left as you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom