• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Sysgen said:
How do people think this way? I've heard it numerous times and it makes no sense. The whole point of our system is checks and balances. The Republicans may lose their ability to even filibuster. How is this good unless your a left wing democrat?

People think this way because it is historically validated. There is no actual meaningful difference in government effectiveness based on whether Washington is divided vs. unified.

The idea that one is actually more efficient that the other is entirely a myth. I think the 2005 Republican Congress was actually ranked by the independent Congressional Quarterly as the 'least effective' Congress in 70 years.

FIREBABY

camineet said:
Just got back from taking 3 more Obama supporters to vote :D

I checked Foxnews.com to see this

110408_elections5.jpg

what kind of message are they trying to send here?
Bradley effect in effect afraid.

TomServo said:
How about Nero?

Maybe proud was too strong of a word.

I'm also not a libertarian.

You said you wanted small government. I hate those people who say "lesser of two evils," Obama is not evil damn it!

Bradley effect in effect afraid.

That only applies to white people. This is voter disenfranchisement in effect.

sciplore

So excited for the results tonight me and my mom voted (+2 obama) on the last day of early voting and was in line for three and a half hours. The lines for today are not as bad but I expect they will get worser when more people get off from work later tonight.

I am in Orlando, Fl by the way.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
icarus-daedelus said:
Decriminalize marijuana is on the ballot?! Holy shit, Massachusetts here I come!

Save the ticket until it passes, man. Isn't it decriminalized in Oregon already?

Seth C

Well, I'm back from voting in Lexington, KY. As I mentioned earlier, as of 10:30am 40% of my precinct had already voted, and when I left (after waiting over 30 minutes to vote) the line was longer than when I arrived. If this is evidence of voter turnout elsewhere, this could be an amazing day. I'm going to have a quick breakfast and then get down to the Dem headquarters to volunteer until the polls close.

+1 Obama

Sharp

Sysgen said:
How do people think this way? I've heard it numerous times and it makes no sense. The whole point of our system is checks and balances. The Republicans may lose their ability to even filibuster. How is this good unless your a left wing democrat?
Normally I would agree. But right now the country is suffering from a series of fairly disastrous decisions made by Bush and a Republican house and senate, and it's going to be impossible to negate those through constant gridlock. I'd also like to see some of Obama's social programs pass, but that's not a particularly good reason.

WaltJay

Souldriver said:
Hmm, unprecedented turnout. Good thing or bad thing?

Good: more people could mean more Obama supporters, since he inspired people to go and he has a great GOTV program.

Bad: the majority of people who have voted before today were Obama supporters, so today maybe a lot of the McCain supporters are in the lines.

Good. Usually an increase in turnout and enthusiasm is due to the change, non-incumbent party candidate, which is not McCain this go 'round.

Sysgen said:
Every time you bitch at the Democratic Congress for getting nothing done, thank the Republicans and their filibusters (which they have been using like crazy, by the way.)

Besides, there have been bigger majorities in the Senate/House before and the country didn't suddenly fall apart.

Also, the system of checks and balances has been working pretty piss poor lately, don't ya think?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Sysgen said:

What horrible, horrible things would they be prevented from stopping?

Jonm1010

Banned
Sysgen said:
It worked out in the great Depression, WWII, the 50s and several other times but yes. at times, it can be bad, like under Bush. Of course in most of those times, democrats were holding the democratic president in check and pushing back at times - they even investigated FDR for war profiteering at one point - it really comes down to how much the congress is willing to do its constitutional job.

suaveric

There are people already lining up for the rally in Grant Park tonight. I'm one of the ticketed people, so I know I'll get in, but I was hoping to get down there 3 hours early for a decent seat. This is crazy.

Today was my 5th time voting for president but the first time I've ever had to wait. The line was 90 minutes long at my station in NW DC and every one I went by on my way to work had huge lines. DC turnout is going to be insane. I hope northern VA looks like this :)

witness

Just got back from voting! +2 for Obama, mom is out of town and sent in her absentee. Can't say how proud I am of her for being someone 60+ voting for Obama :D

Florida for Obama bitches!

ryutaro's mama said:
I love how the voting machine problems are in swing states.

Not in TN or NY.

VA and PA.

This is fucking bullshit.
I guarantee that there are problems with voting machines in all states. No one cares though because they're only obsessively looking for problems in the swing states.

That said, the problems would be a lot less critical if they'd just go with optically scanned paper ballots nationwide. The machine might break down, but voters could continue casting ballots that can be counted once the machine comes back online.

Dirtbag

Epic lines in Los Angeles brewing.. just got back and the line wrapped the block (it was a small block though) when I was leaving.

Nameless

My plan was to watch the news stations all day like I usually do on election day, but even during generic on-location poll reports I found myself getting anxious. I wasn't even paying attention to the reporter but looking at the people in the background wondering if they were voting for Bams.:lol

Looks like its just DVDs, Video Games, and a little Poligaf until around 7:15p

Seth C said:
Well, I'm back from voting in Lexington, KY. As I mentioned earlier, as of 10:30am 40% of my precinct had already voted, and when I left (after waiting over 30 minutes to vote) the line was longer than when I arrived. If this is evidence of voter turnout elsewhere, this could be an amazing day. I'm going to have a quick breakfast and then get down to the Dem headquarters to volunteer until the polls close.

+1 Obama

I went and voted at the Lafayette High School precinct this morning at 6. Had to wait in line for over an hour...worth it though. The woman at the polling station said that our precinct always has a much higher than average turnout - but ever one this high this early. My wife went up to vote about an hour ago and still has not returned....high voter turnout indeed.

+2 Obama

** +1 Bob Barr from Siamese Dreamer

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
sciplore said:
So excited for the results tonight me and my mom voted (+2 obama) on the last day of early voting and was in line for three and a half hours. The lines for today are not as bad but I expect they will get worser when more people get off from work later tonight.

I am in Orlando, Fl by the way.

Me too!

*high fives*

Husker86

+1 for McCain in Omaha, NE.

It seems though that Obama has a good chance (or at least much better than any other Democrat) of taking District 2 (Omaha area)...that could be 1 EV for him. I haven't looked too far into it but I'm wondering what his chances are of taking the statewide popular vote which would give him 3 EVs total (don't think he will win the other 2 districts in NE). Doubt it will matter much but it would still be quite an accomplishment.

Nameless said:
My plan was to watch the news stations all day like I usually do on election day, but even during generic on-location poll reports I found myself getting anxious. I wasn't even paying attention to the reporter but looking at the people in the background wondering if they were voting for Bams.:lol

Looks like its just DVDs, Video Games, and a little Poligaf until around 7:15p
Can't wait to get some Resistance 2 in today. :D

Sysgen

Sharp said:
Normally I would agree. But right now the country is suffering from a series of fairly disastrous decisions made by Bush and a Republican house and senate, and it's going to be impossible to negate those through constant gridlock. I'd also like to see some of Obama's social programs pass, but that's not a particularly good reason.

The democrats had nothing to do with the recent financial fallout. Whatever. Giving *COMPLETE* control like this to *ANY* party is asking for it. Be careful what you wish for.

Nameless

Amir0x said:
oh god today is tiring. Gonna retire at 1:00 and watch what may come though, HOME STRETCH TIME!

Dude, we HAVE to shut the gaming side down later. If we can shut OT down for E3 lite we can shut gaming down for a potential massive hopium outbreak tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom