• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

Sysgen said:
When the republicans controlled both houses and the executive branch at least the democrats could filibuster. This will be unabated. Just for note I'm an independent and am speaking not for one party just the concept of giving congressional and executive control to one party and an extreme wing at that, whether dem left or republic right. It's not good for America.
I don't think they'll get a supermajority. Maybe if you include Lieberman. Honestly though, the average Democratic congressman is a lot more moderate than he or she was decades ago. If the left acquires and maintains a supermajority, then there may be movement back towards extreme leftism, of course.

eznark

Banned
In his Fox interview, Schumer, who heads the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, also weighed in on the election, predicting that Democrats will end up with between 56 and 58 seats in the Senate.

I'm surprised he wasn't more optimistic. Maybe today won't be the end of liberty after all?

+1 Obama (in NYC, lulz) Polling station was packed and the craziest I've ever seen it.

I think last night I edged my mom in Ohio to vote Obama.

Just want to take a second to say that I was a Hillary guy during the primaries mainly because I thought she had the best chance to win in a general election. I was extremely skeptical about Obama with my concerns centering on what looked like his lack of toughness and his wishy washiness about gay rights (still not thrilled with his gay marriage stance). Still, I've been impressed with the Obama campaign's jujitsu like reversals of the Republican bullshit machine and am happy to have cast my vote for Obama/ Biden.

Keeping my fingers crossed about Prop 8 in Cali. Go go PoliGAF!

besada

Banned
Sysgen said:
When the republicans controlled both houses and the executive branch at least the democrats could filibuster. This will be unabated. Just for note I'm an independent and am speaking not for one party just the concept of giving congressional and executive control to one party and an extreme wing at that, whether dem left or republic right. It's not good for America.

It's not the first time it's happened, it won't be the last. I'm glad, personally. But I'm a Democrat who hates how far right this country has moved.

The nice thing about one party controlling three branches (which won't be the case, unlike the six years of Republicans we've recently left behind), is that it never lasts very long. Constant gridlock assures nothing ever moves forward. Every once in awhile, someone has to take the reins and move things along.

The Democrats will get some things done, get sloppy, and get voted out in due time. Until then, you'll just have to live with it, just like we had to live with the Republicans.

Sysgen said:
How do people think this way? I've heard it numerous times and it makes no sense. The whole point of our system is checks and balances. The Republicans may lose their ability to even filibuster. How is this good unless your a left wing democrat?

The checks and balances aren't there to prevent anyone from ever accomplishing anything, or to force the government to always be divided; they're there to make it so that it takes a sea change in electoral preferences for one party to totally dominate the government.

There's been such a sea change this year, and the GOP basically handed it to the Dems on a silver platter. They should be marginalized until they can reform their platform to be about true conservatism and not religious nuttery.

Chichikov

Sysgen said:
The GOP was fairly close on taking filibuster off the table, in fact, they used this threat to prevent filibusters.

bengraven

TheKingsCrown said:
I would love to see your state turn. But something tells me that Ohio, not Florida, will go dem this year.

I live in North Bumfuck Florida and until this morning there was nothing but McCain signs in every yard. Probably because of the fear of people stealing signs, which has been very real.

This morning the entire trip from Keystone Heights to Gainesville, every single house had an Obama sign in front of it, it seemed. I was very happy.

Jonm1010 said:
That mentality scares me more than any of the voter suppression tactics going on.
I think the "McCain has lost already, so what does it matter if I went voting for him" mentality evens things out.

I largely voted 3rd Party (Green Party, which has a very strong Chicago presence) and was very close to voting for Bob Barr as my vote will make no impact (I live in Chicago, which is a HUGE Obama stronghold), but I broke down and voted Obama as I believe it is symbolically right at this time. As much as I might disagree with Obama about a great many things I think he is what the country needs right now.

Obama +1

TDG said:
I'm just riling you guys up, of course I'm voting. I'm leaving right after I eat lunch.

Holy fuck I'm nervous. I'm not turning on the TV until the polls begin closing, I'm so nervous.
Don't scare me like that.

Nameless said:
suicide-booth.jpg

Polls open at 9pm. They are equipped to handle either party. I have a ride lined up for later just in case.

You know that in the cartoon the suicide booth said "serving since 2008""

Grug

Oh man, on Fox they just asked some chick in a diner why she voted for Obama and she choked up bad. :lol

Awkwardness in the extreme.

Evlar

Banned
bengraven said:
I live in North Bumfuck Florida and until this morning there was nothing but McCain signs in every yard. Probably because of the fear of people stealing signs, which has been very real.

This morning the entire trip from Keystone Heights to Gainesville, every single house had an Obama sign in front of it, it seemed. I was very happy.
I live over at the end of the Panhandle, in West Bumfuck. We have about as many Obama signs as McCain signs, which is strange and unprecedented for a solid Republican area.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
artredis1980 said:
Some more stories, though keep in mind that the enthusiasm gap, and the blog reader gap, mean that these are coming primarily from Obama supporters, primarily from Obama counties, and that everyone is influenced by the expectation of an Obama win.

Alexandria:

I live in bluest part of Blue NoVA, Alexandria City. In 2004, my polling place went 80-20 for Kerry. 2,886 votes were cast in that election. I got in a long line in the dark this morning at 5:55am, I was voter number 2,531.

Colorado:

I voted early here in Colorado, which was a fairy uneventful experience. But my canvassing for Obama did turn up some interested scenes -- the highlight being the ACORN workers who were all living in a home together and were absolutely floored that I was VOLUNTEERING for Obama and not getting paid! To quote the one Marlboro red smoking, heavily tattooed lady "I love Obama, but I'm not doing shit without some money!" By the end of our conversation, all I could think was 'Thank god these women never found their way in front of a television camera.'

Lubbock:

I voted this morning in Lubbock, Texas, a town that was disappointed to be named only the second most conservative city in America. I thought there would be lines -- for the primary, there was a long line and a long wait. But this morning, there was no line at all, no wait at all, only one of 15 voting machines was in use. We are using a "super precinct" for voting this time -- instead of voting at a specific assigned voting place, voters can go to any of a large number of locations in town. My four-year-old daughter and I voted at an elementary school in our neighborhood. I can't decide if the apparently low turnout is because with a 70/30 Rep/Dem split, there's no point in anyone voting here, or because the Republicans are depressed.

Harlem:

I'm a 37 year old African American woman. I grew up in Harlem and have lived here most of my life. In the 20 years I've been voting at the same polling place, I've never had to stand in line. Usually there were more election workers than voters. Today is the day that changed. There were about 100 people waiting in line. Most of them were young, old and even older African Americans.

I overheard a conversation one woman was having with a mother pushing her son in a stroller. The mother mentioned she told her son she would be voting for the first black president. His response was, "I want to be a black president too!" The other woman and I laughed. It was not a laugh that ridiculed or dismissed the moment, but a laugh of amazement and delight of the infinite possibilities Barack Obama's candidacy represents to the young people in the African American community.

Northern New Jersey:

My father, a lifelong Republican, voted for his first Democrat for president this morning. He falls under the category of "racists for Obama" … his first act after voting was to call me in his worst stereotypical black voice and ask "I voted for Obama, now where do I pick up my free bucket of chicken?" Strange guy. Anyway, his reason for voting Obama was simple -- how much worse can he be than the guys I've been voting for all these years? It shocked me he voted Obama as he'd normally fall under the "McCain is good for Israel so I'm voting for McCain" crowd.

Chester County, PA:

It's very passionate here. Many of the residents are former Delawarians and tend to run more Democratic. But the majority of residents are life long locals, and they are very Republican. It was the first time I had fun going to the polling place. We vote in a church...and normally, the mood is quite reserved. This morning you could spot the Obama voters - we were laughing and chatting and smiling. Still, it did seem that the majority of early AM voters were voting McCain - or maybe Republicans unhappily voting for Obama? Who knows - but the difference in their mood was obvious. Grim, quiet, lots of hostile looks shot at the happy Obama voters. It is so obviously polarized here! The turnout was about 3-4X normal according to one of the poll workers, but certainly not overwhelming just yet.

I love reading these stories. Hey artredis1980 your job today is find all kinds of stories like this and post them. WE NEED MORE!!!

Wolffen

Hollleee Shit. Just got a phone call from my wife. As I mentioned about 10 pages ago, my voting district is a whopping 3300 registered voters. I got to the polling place at 6:40AM, and I got to vote at 8:30. My wife got to the polling place at 11:30, and she's looking at a min. 2 hour wait. There are two lines at the polling place: Last names A-J, and Last Name K-Z. She's in the A-J line. K-Z line is much longer and poll workers are estimating a 4 hour wait! Damn...normally there's 5 people in front of you at this polling place. Today, there's easily 300~400...

I know that lines were expected in swing states and such, but I never in a million years thought I'd see lines like this in South Carolina.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Sysgen said:
The democrats had nothing to do with the recent financial fallout. Whatever. Giving *COMPLETE* control like this to *ANY* party is asking for it. Be careful what you wish for.

Can you give me recent examples the horror extracted on this country by "one party rule"? I already know of the 1st years of Bush so you can leave that out.

They should be marginalized until they can reform their platform to be about true conservatism and not religious nuttery.

Why, hello there, obvious point.

Husker86

Count Dookkake said:
No matter who wins, it will be great to see the tears of the loser's supoorters.

Opportunities for great LOLs IRL for the next few weeks or so.

Can't wait.

Oh, you're one of those

Sharp

BigGreenMat said:
I largely voted 3rd Party (Green Party, which has a very strong Chicago presence) and was very close to voting for Bob Barr as my vote will make no impact (I live in Chicago, which is a HUGE Obama stronghold), but I broke down and voted Obama as I believe it is symbolically right at this time. As much as I might disagree with Obama about a great many things I think he is what the country needs right now.

Obama +1
Thank you. I hope my uncle does the same, he lives in PA and his voting for Nader again would be :(

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I called my dad... he's been in line in rural/suburban Bucks County... 2 hours so far, he estimates another hour to go. Absolutely nuts!

Zeliard said:
If Obama doesn't win, it will be because of complacency on the part of Obama supporters.

Argh, every single person saying "Obama has it locked up" has obviously not looked at previous elections. If you don't vote, you're not supporting your candidate at all.

Q: once the president is called, will the thread title change, or will there be a new thread to talk/celebrate/cry about it?

A: 500 Server Error

ZeroTolerance

Souldriver said:
Q: once the president is called, will the thread title change, or will there be a new thread to talk/celebrate/cry about it?
i think it will be renamed since thats what we did throughout the primaries anyway.

Sysgen said:
and an extreme wing at that, whether dem left or republic right.

Problem: you're blinded your desire to be "independent" and "moderate." You've gotten it into your head that both Democrats and Republicans represent "extreme wings" on some linear spectrum.

They really don't though.

uscandidates2008.png

Don't fall into that line of thinking where each "side" suddenly represents an "extreme" and that in order to be independent, you have to follow some imaginary middle road.

Sysgen

bob_arctor said:
Can you give me recent examples the horror extracted on this country by "one party rule"? I already know of the 1st years of Bush so you can leave that out.

Future my freind and I don't need a crystal ball. I don't need to spell it out. The social spending is going to be over the top. I'm also worried about lessening the soveignty of our country. Horror indeed.

Musicians and bands should take their instruments with them when they go lining up to vote. There's nothing more uplifting than turning something that's utterly dull into a happy event that makes you feel united with your fellow voters.

:)

Nameless

Ok answer me this guys. Why don't we have some sort of system for online voting in place for those who want to vote that way? We handle alot of things via the web just as, if not more sensitive than voting so I don't see how in the next 4 years we can't build an infrastructure secure, accurate, and fail safe enough to incorporate by 2012. Sure, there are risks, but judging from all the crap still going on at the polls and issues write-in ballots the level of risk doesn't seem too much higher than it is now.

As far as fraud, I wasn't even required to show a photo ID. They just took my registration card, made me sign in, and I got to vote. Anyone could've voted for me so long as they had the card.

Barrett2

Sysgen said:
Future my freind and I don't need a crystal ball. I don't need to spell it out. The social spending is going to be over the top. I'm also worried about lessening the soveignty of our country. Horror indeed.

What specifically do you mean by this?

Sharp

GoutPatrol said:
NO. Keep them as the religious nutty party. It will lead to their slow, slow death and lead to longer Democratic control.
Why would you want that? There are a lot of people who have valid reasons to disagree with Democratic ideas. If they're voting Democratic this go-around, it's only because Bush betrayed most every ideal that the party was founded on.

Talking to my parents about voting last night and I discovered my mom, who is as RepubliCuban as you can get, states she is voting for Obama because we need change in this country.

I had been pestering her the entire election season with my usual political rants and how it was time to vote for the best candidate regardless of party lines. It almost always fell on deaf ears. So it was so weird for her to just state and parrot the main Obama campaign line of "Change We Need" in such matter-of-fact fashion.

My dad's voting for Obama as well. He's been a legal alien in this country forever but became a US citizen earlier this year. So cool that Obama is going to be his first ever vote.

I voted for Obama a week ago, so it's kinda nice not having to deal with the huge lines today and just staying home watching the news.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Souldriver said:
Congrats to your mother. Any idea why and when she shifted?
She's never been a die-hard republican (I think she voted for Bill Clinton even). I like to think maybe I had some influence, but it was probably more of a feeling of disenfranchisement that the GOP has managed to portray on many of it's older supporters.
Dax01 said:
We're going to go over this again. NC is going blue because it's DAX'S state. Not yours.
Sorry, only those of voting age can stake their claim in NC!

eznark

Banned
Sysgen said:

Obama is post-American, and that is a good thing, because America is evil.

sangreal

ugh, I'm overhearing people in this office here in Maine going on about how Obama keeps changing the numbers on his tax proposal. Someone just said you only get a cut if you make under $3,000 (not a typo)!

adg1034

In our campus precinct (St. Paul, MN), 810 people have voted as of 11:04. That's just over 4 hours of voting. For reference, in 2004, 1509 people voted. We've hit over half of the last presidential election's total, and we still have 9 hours of voting left to go.

Holy shit.

I'm so glad I'm working on turnout this year. I am very happy.

Early and by-mail voting in states like Ohio should have been able to offset the increase in turnout. If lines are longer than in 2004 that bodes very well for Obama, because that means turnout is going to be even larger than has been forecast.

TDG

Banned
Well, I do understand the arguements for divided governemnt, but with our government being so completely uselesss for the past 8 years, I think it would be a really positive thing for an agenda, any agenda, to be able to actually be passed quickly. And hey, if the dems fuck it up, then the GOP will be back in power in no time at all.

Xisiqomelir

Sharp said:
Why would you want that? There are a lot of people who have valid reasons to disagree with Democratic ideas. If they're voting Democratic this go-around, it's only because Bush betrayed most every ideal that the party was founded on.

Honestly, I don't think they can handle being a sane adult party. Just let them carry on frothing and raving while the qualified people run the country.

Husker86 said:
Oh, you're one of those

Yes. What can I say? I am one of those people who enjoy laughing at those who show excessive sadness and panty-twistedness. I can't help it.

Locally, an Obama win would secure me the most laughter IRL. I would probably print up an obnoxious "In your face!" shirt.

On the internet, a McCain win would do the trick, but I wouldn't get the fun of face-to-face tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom