• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
aesop said:
Wow. They're getting desperate. You know, shit like this is a lot easier to trace than paper fliers. Too bad it's not a felony.

If you're dumb enough to fall for that, the country if probably better off without your vote

Kintaco

Sharp said:
Drive. Casting a provisional ballot is like pressing the "door close" button in an elevator--it does nothing but make you feel better.
Well then I'll drive, and I'll have my mom cook some food to make the drive even more worthwhile.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So yeah, someone earlier in the thread said not a lot of people are probably getting much work done, and that's so true for me. :lol

It's ridiculously hard to tear myself away from this to write the two stories I have due for the newspaper today >_<

Link Man

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Come on Al Franken! On top of Obama and a Congressional rout, a Franken win might just be enough to get O'Reilly to put a gun in his mouth.
Maybe he'll finally get to say "No, FUCK YOU!" to Paul Wolfowitz.

Plinko said:
I beg to differ. It insinuates that democrats will be allowed to vote on Wednesday.

There are long lines. True.

Obama supporters are being urged to not vote by some scummy republican texters. This is also true.

Where is the lie?

I think this is morally dubious, but there is no lie or threat. Perhaps one can argue that there is a lie of omission in that it doesn't mention that one can not vote on Wednesday.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
You guys remember the guy who was on Maher last week and was a former Republican hitman/strategist who went to jail? He just wrote a book and I really want to read it.

Shirokun

I've been keeping up with this stuff since summer 2007, and I think the reality of today is finally hitting me. After the disappointment of 2004, and the sheer excitement I get from the prospect of a candidate like Obama being elected as President at such a dire time, I'm not sure how I'll handle it if he doesn't carry tonight. But I believe in Obama, and I believe in the people this time around.

We're gonna do this, folks. This is really gonna happen!

Go Obama GO!

Shiggie

ZeroTolerance said:
this. THIS. that to infinity. She looks like a decent person but a newscaster she aint.
Yeah, she pauses all the time, struggling to structure a sentence UGH! Maybe shes there because shes married to Alan Greenspan.

Shirokun said:
I've been keeping up with this stuff since summer 2007, and I think the reality of today is finally hitting me. After the disappointment of 2004, and the sheer excitement I get from the prospect of a candidate like Obama being elected as President at such a dire time, I'm not sure how I'll handle it if he doesn't carry tonight. But I believe in Obama, and I believe in the people this time around.

We're gonna do this, folks. This is really gonna happen!

Go Obama GO!
5l8egw.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I voted last monday, had to wait about a hour and a half. Oh and I voted for McCain, and I am in AR.

Btw are we going to have a poll or something to see who voted for who on NeoGaf?

Today was the first time I set foot in a church in about six years. That's where I went to vote a few minutes ago. Only two people ahead of me and the whole thing took about ten minutes.

Obama +1

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Ah, home from work now. I bought me some soda and doritos and will soon proceed to lay down on my couch in front of CNN.

Sweet god, they just showed the f'd up ballot fill-in process for Palm Beach County,FL. I'm glad Obama people are out working the lines there to make sure that people don't muss it up too much.

WedgeX

Banned
Danthrax said:
So yeah, someone earlier in the thread said not a lot of people are probably getting much work done, and that's so true for me. :lol

It's ridiculously hard to tear myself away from this to write the two stories I have due for the newspaper today >_<

I've been trying to put together a presentation on urban and rural poverty...must...keep...going!

Ahhh back to fivethiryeight.

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
I voted last monday, had to wait about a hour and a half. Oh and I voted for McCain, and I am in AR.

Btw are we going to have a poll or something to see who voted for who on NeoGaf?

my guess is 50:1 for Obama (GAF is like the media)

besada

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
I think this is morally dubious, but there is no lie or threat. Perhaps one can argue that there is a lie of omission in that it doesn't mention that one can not vote on Wednesday.

It's voter suppression. Whether it's illegal is entirely dependent on the state. Most states with voter suppression laws class it as a misdemeanor. Most of the voter suppression laws are worded as "giving false or misleading information regarding polling", which this is.

Armitage

Even though I hardly ever posted in PoliGAF I lurked a lot. Make me proud, men!

Also how amazing would it be for Obama to win, step up to the mic and then deliver this as his acceptance speech:

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So, CNN and MSNBC are focusing on the voters themselves and who might win tonight...

FOXNEWS focusing on potential voter fraud. I wonder what their storyline will be tonight?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Son of Godzilla said:
Haha.

Okay so I just got an email from a cousin who has friends that have been spamming the fuck out of her with nutzo anti-obama chain emails. She pretty much swallows it whole too. Apparantly she found out today that Obama was Christian, and is completely pissed off at the people who have been sending her stuff to the contrary. Like, wants her vote back pissed off. I thought it was cute.

With all due respect, your cousin is a fucking moron.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LuCkymoON said:
Can nayone tell me what it says????
p1030443247.jpg

The first page (the one on the right) pretty much says, "Were the rumors about a landslide victory for Obama started by the McCain campaign to divide the Democrat party?" (this was probably in reference to the primaries)

The second page (the one on the left) pretty much says, "despite the rumors about an Obama landslide, the candidate's favorability in the polls have been seesawing back and forth. The chaotic situation makes it impossible to predict the results of the actual election."

besada said:
It's voter suppression. Whether it's illegal is entirely dependent on the state. Most states with voter suppression laws class it as a misdemeanor. Most of the voter suppression laws are worded as "giving false or misleading information regarding polling", which this is.

As it is worded there is no lie. Obama supporters are being urged to vote on Wednesday. This is a truthful statement.

It's dirty, but it is true.

I guess it hinges on what exactly 'misleading' can be stretched to accomodate.

Kreed

Fragamemnon said:
Sweet god, they just showed the f'd up ballot fill-in process for Palm Beach County,FL. I'm glad Obama people are out working the lines there to make sure that people don't muss it up too much.

The "draw the line from one arrow point to the other" ballot? The voting place I went to had plenty of people inside explaining how to use it multiple times to every voter (as well as hand out sample ballots). If it's like that everywhere there shouldn't be that much trouble.

Yaweee

+1 for Barr. (Don't worry, I'm in Illinois so my vote doesn't matter anyways.)

I voted for Senator Durbin and regretted it before turning in my ballot, but not enough to scrap my ballot and get a new one. I recall him doing something that pissed the hell out of me... I think relating to over regulating the internet to "protect the children."

--------------

So my friend comes into the office today and starts bitching about his voting experience. From my recollection, it goes something like this:

He walks in to an electronic voting booth but it's off. The workers come over, try to turn it on, and it fails. Try it again, no go. A third time, and it finally works. So they leave him in the booth and he hits the button for Obama. McCain lights up. He hits back, tries Obama again. McCain lights up. He does it a few more times, then gives up and gets one of the workers.

"My machine isn't working."

"It's a touch screen."

"I know that. It's just not working."

"Huh?"

So he shows it to her. "Look."

"Try voting, see what happens."

"No, my finger is broken. You try. Hit the Obama button for me."

She hits the button, McCain lights up. "Ohhhhhhh, that's what you meant." She tries it a few more times, then restarts the machine. "Try it again."

"No, my finger is still broken. Press the button for me."

She tries it ten more times before just giving him a paper ballot.

-----

Electronic voting sucks. Really, who the hell supports these things? I'm guessing they're the type of people that don't use computers much.

I got three bottles of Rodenbach Grand Cru in the fridge and have a bottle of good scotch. Dinner is pretty much already ready so I don't have to muss with it while returns come in, so I can sit here in this thread and explain to you plebs what splits in certain counties might mean!

Fatalah

Ah, Yankees talk on MSNBC :) That's Rudy's only saving grace for me.

I bet Jeter's an Obama guy :)

Jeter-1.JPG

It really sucks Obama doesn't have his parents cheering him on like Jeter does. You can find Derek's parents at every big game, for every milestone their son passes.

besada

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
I guess it hinges on what exactly 'misleading' can be stretched to accomodate.

It's clearly misleading -- more importantly, it's EXACTLY the kind of thing voter suppression laws were passed to stop.

Defend it if you want, but you've already pretty much admitted to being an amoral carrion feeder, so I'm not sure anyone much cares about your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom