• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Evlar said:
I agree on principle, but... The US military is, in dollar terms, the largest government work program in the world, and it incidentally supports dozens of communities across the nation. You cannot slash its budget so deeply without radically altering the livelihoods of millions of people.

The DOD is also probably the single most inefficient spender of Fed dollars. Defense contracts are notorious for being pork-laden, bloated, unnecessary and wildly over-priced. The DOD is probably the single most wasteful part of the Fed government in total dollars spent. Some people would inevitably lose their jobs, but its necessary to curb the insanity that is wasteful DOD spending.

ToxicAdam

This race is already over. No need to vote and contribute to Global Warming. You will be doing the WORLD a greater favor by staying home and not polluting.

Think of the children.

Speevy

Banned
Why is every polling place so different? Some of them have curtains, some of them look like they're old.

I just walked up to a machine, in plain sight of everyone (and as the only one in the room at the time), and hit a touch screen.

radjago

Diablos said:
Ridiculous.

How hard is it to have ONE national electronic standard for voting with a paper trail?
*facepalm*
Tech companies have a hard enough time establishing standards between themselves. Imagine how exponentially more complex it becomes when you inject politics into the equation.

BobLoblaw

Banned
lawblob said:
Personally, I don't think taxes should be raised on anyone. If I was king of America, I would just slash military spending by 20% and rain cash down on all other deserving sectors of the Fed budget... and we would still spend more on military spending than anyone else by a huuuuuuge degree.
This isn't a bad idea. Our military budget is so fucking huge it's huge. ;) Of course, slashing it also opens the doors to criticism if ANYTHING bad at all happens, foreign or domestic. You'd be signing a death warrant if there's any type of disaster because the opposition would constantly bash you over the head with it. Eliminating pointless earmarks would go a ways also.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I still don't understand how McCain has a 1.1% chance of winning over at 538. That seems, er, a bit odd. :lol
Not really. As I understand it, he just runs a simulation that runs through the election based on his odds he calculated thousands of times, and that's the percentage of the times that McCain won. I.E. he ran his simulation 1000 times, and McCain won 11 times.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Qwerty710710 said:
How do u get in though??
Click the chat.efnet.org link, type in whatever you want for your username, click on advanced, type in #GAF, login.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
hey guys, i'm saying this to keep everything tempered...

but what if obama loses?

i mean, i seriously think my world would be rocked. talk about heartbroken. i dont know what id do.

you guys would do well not to get too high just yet. be a stoic, like me. and seneca :D

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
hey guys, look like Obama won.

3002527053_aedb621b56.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ToxicAdam said:
This race is already over. No need to vote and contribute to Global Warming. You will be doing the WORLD a greater favor by staying home and not polluting.

Think of the children.

No way, I just downed wheatgrass caffè latte and was going to burn off the calories walkting down to the polling place. Also I need some more stickers for my messenger bag.

farnham

Banned
2pac Amaru Shakur said:
I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh
It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact
the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks
But some things will never change
try to show another way but you stayin' in the dope game
Now tell me what's a mother to do
bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you
You gotta operate the easy way
"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way
sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid,"
Well hey, well that's the way it is

Lets hope he was wrong!

Speevy

Banned
ToxicAdam said:

Think of the children.

No.

Baker

Banned
Speevy said:
Why is every polling place so different? Some of them have curtains, some of them look like they're old.

I just walked up to a machine, in plain sight of everyone (and as the only one in the room at the time), and hit a touch screen.

My booth looked exactly like the one I used during a 1988 mock election in grade school.

Jim

TDG said:
So, what network is everyone going to be watching tonight? I'm going to be flipping between CNN and MSNBC.

Whichever one has the coolest magic touchscreen wall. Probably CNN, with MSNBC as the backup.

Kipe

KRS7 said:
How could they be voting based on results that aren't out yet? Guam is 15 hours ahead of EST. They were finished voting before sunrise in the US.

Never mind then. Shit I thought Guam voted last.

ItsInMyVeins said:
So, uh, I'm watching this clip and I don't know. I mean, I'm probably the last one to agree with Joe on anything, but I'm not seeing what Sanchez is trying to say? What's his point? Joe says he doesn't think people earning over 250k a year should be taxed more than someone earning less than that. And then it seems like Sanchez is trying to turn into something like "aha, you want the people who earn less to pay more?!", and I don't see where that comes from at all. Someone care to explain?

What the fuck?

Joe is a moron. Joe has no idea how anything works in the government. Joe has become a spokesperson for McCain. Joe is asked to explain why he is condemning Obama's tax policies, even though they don't apply to him. Joe says that they are unfair. Joe is asked what he proposes. Joe explains that everyone should pay an equal percentage of taxes. Joe is asked to clarify his response since it's retarded. Joe does not understand how this system he proposes, while an ideal system in theory, would not work.

Rick Sanchez is a moron as well. After the "I think we both know who we're talking about" incident, he thinks he's some sort of ball buster interviewer. However, I don't know how anyone can look at this interview as anything but idiocy by Joe the Plumber.

SoulPlaya said:
Am I the only one that supports increasing taxes for everyone (except the very poor) so that we can be more fiscally responsible while also increasing entitlements and providing better healthcare and education.
I'm pretty sure that's like half the people here. It's my position, at least.

Steve Youngblood said:
Not really. As I understand it, he just runs a simulation that runs through the election based on his odds he calculated thousands of times, and that's the percentage of the times that McCain won. I.E. he ran his simulation 1000 times, and McCain won 11 times.

Well, either way, this'll make or break Nate.

besada said:
When did he catch a ban?

Last night. (Really early this morning I guess if we are being technical) He was doing his concern troll thing about that banned site where the guy has the crazy predictions and sent out some Pm's.

Boo mods. Bring back TheGrayGhost. This is cruel and unusual punishment.

omg rite said:
My 52 year-old dad just told me he voted for the first time, because he saw how involved I was.

(He voted Obama, btw.)

my relationship with my father has gotten so much better ever since he started supporting Obama. we've actually been talking to each other civilly, as men, as equals--and I can hint a certain degree of respect for me in his voice, which is rare. my respect for him has deepened as well.

OBAMA BRINGS PPL 2GETHR

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Jim said:
Whichever one has the coolest magic touchscreen wall. Probably CNN, with MSNBC as the backup.
CNN is easily the hottest hotness in the touchscreen category.

SUPREME1

Banned
whytemyke said:
hey guys, i'm saying this to keep everything tempered...

but what if obama loses?

i mean, i seriously think my world would be rocked. talk about heartbroken. i dont know what id do.

you guys would do well not to get too high just yet. be a stoic, like me. and seneca :D

GTFO, YOU SOUND SCARED LIKE THE REPUBLICANS.

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, but, man, I've been dreaming about some major kicking of ass here...the kind that embarrasses McCain in his home state. Oh...and...

Don't worry, dude. I have already canceled out McCain's vote in AZ. You can cancel out Cindy's. Tucson will bear down, we always do, but we'll have to cross our fingers and hope for the best in Phoenix.

Email to my brother in Minnesota:
It's too bad you can't vote against that crazy lady Michelle Bachman. I want her gone.

My brother's response:
If Bachmann was in any other of Minnesota's districts, she would be gone for sure, but she is running in the pro-American part of Minnesota.

:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
icarus-daedelus said:
Don't worry, dude. I have already canceled out McCain's vote in AZ. You can cancel out Cindy's. Tucson will bear down, we always do, but we'll have to cross our fingers and hope for the best in Phoenix.

Your problem is Chandler and the like aka Cookie-Cutter Country.

AstroLad said:
No way, I just downed wheatgrass caffè latte and was going to burn off the calories walkting down to the polling place. Also I need some more stickers for my messenger bag.

I'm Gasping for air I'm Lolling so hard here.

Xisiqomelir

icarus-daedelus said:

Honestly, I have no faith in us. I have some faith in parts of the Valley, but every other part of the state is so ridiculous.

syllogism

We aren't going to learn much in 1h. The most democratic part of Indiana won't close until 7pm et. I'm sure gaf is going to freak out though.

Socreges

Banned
Baker said:
Yeah, I live in the middle of corn fields in Illinois.

It's either:

"He's Muslim," or some veiled excuse that equates to "He's black."

I'm jealous of you people who were able to change your parents' minds. I failed miserably and got some nice shit for it.
pretty much. just to explain this all more thoroughly...

i have run into this girl twice now where i work. we met at a party a couple weeks ago and so we're inclined to chat. she has made three claims:

- obama was probably not born in the U.S. and is not a legal U.S. citizen
- obama voted against a bill that would protect alive babies in an induced labor after 6-8 months (or something less confusing)
- obama is a secret muslim

i've been happy to correct her on all three, actually sending her the requisite information over facebook! she hasn't replied on any of the occasions.

and last but not least, she didn't "see why black people who lived near me in milwaukee should get tax cuts when they're just going to expect the government to give them everything and it won't teach them anything about work ethic"

god knows why she's so receptive to bullshit claims about obama!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom