• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I hope GAF isn't afraid to call out Obama if he doesn't deliver on his promises.

And I hope the other side is willing to admit there's not a whole lot that can be done by problems that have been created by 20-30 years of neglect. People need to understand this presidency is about triaging massive problems that can't be solved overnight.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Northern VA represented... who was the chick who called NOVA not real VA?

Bet she regrets making THAT statement now. Ah yes Nancy Pfotenauer one of McCain's advisors....

and they are surprised they lost...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mika's ancedote about her dad's early (and surprise) endorsement for Obama in late 2007 was amazing.

What a fucking day.

DarienA said:
Northern VA represented... who was the chick who called NOVA not real VA?

Bet she regrets making THAT statement now. Ah yes Nancy Pfotenauer one of McCain's advisors....

and they are surprised they lost...
To be fair, they replaced the one affluent white blonde-highlights talking head with some other affluent white blonde-highlights talking head after that.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Good Morning GAF

the Newspapers are so pretty today:D

gal_frontpage_1105.jpg

front110508.jpg

DarienA

Son of Godzilla said:
To be fair, they replaced the one affluent white blonde-highlights talking head with some other affluent white blonde-highlights talking head after that.

:lol

Zapages

artredis1980 said:
Obama actually won 70% of the vote in florida because 23% of the electorate thought he was muslim

:lol , but I know exactly know which area you are talking about (Tampa/St. Pete) area...

A great night, also good locally in MA (ban dog racing, decriminalize one oz. of marijuana both passed). So many great moments (although I'm disappointed in Prop 8 in Cali and in what seems like a loss in MN).

One random funny moment was hearing a portion of Dole's concession where she sounded like such a sore loser. I'm so glad she went down.

McCain's concession speech was good, but 9/10 concession speeches are good and heartwarming.

Personally concession speeches ring hallow to me if the campaign itself was run dishonorably. McCain in is NOT a victim despite the narrative that's beginning to take form. McCain approved all those negative and frivolous ads that came out. McCain caved in and chose Palin as his VP pick. McCain is the one who said, "The fundamentals of the economy are strong". It's McCain who chose to suspend his campaign during the height of the economic crises. It's McCain who chose to switch the topic from the economy to William Ayers.

McCain very similar to Hilary was unable to control and manage his campaign. He let the campaign manage him. But that doesn't make him the victim. He's running for the President of the United States! If he can't control his campaign or is oblivious to all the negative aspects that are going on, then he has no business being our next President. We already have a President who's in a bubble, we don't need another.

So let's not get too sentimental with McCain now...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Republicans banned gay marriage because they feared Joe Biden would discover a time warp and seduce us all

Snaku

Banned
"It wasn't Sarah Palin! Sarah Palin gave people hope!!" -Glenn Beck

They're excommunicating McCain and making a martyr out of Palin. :lol

Haunted

I hope GAF isn't afraid to call out Obama if he doesn't deliver on his promises.
Oh, I'm down with that.

In fact, I'm already gearing up to hate the US president and his hawkish foreign policy again.

Here's hoping he's more of a diplomat then he had let on during the campaign so as not to appear "weak".

speculawyer said:
It just means you dont agree to give equal rights to all.

well I believe Gay people should have all the rights that everyone has, its obvious they should, even Jesus would say they should. But when it comes to marriage? oh hell no!

Marriage at its core is to build a family and extend your family ALONG with confirming your love for the better half of you, and I believe (personal belief) that building a family means to conceive, and only a man and woman (scientifically) can do that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The Chosen One said:
McCain's concession speech was good, but 9/10 concession speeches are good and heartwarming.

Personally concession speeches ring hallow to me if the campaign itself was run dishonorably. McCain in is NOT a victim despite the narrative that's beginning to take form. McCain approved all those negative and frivolous ads that came out. McCain caved in and chose Palin as his VP pick. McCain is the one who said, "The fundamentals of the economy are strong". It's McCain who chose to suspend his campaign during the height of the economic crises. It's McCain who chose to switch the topic from the economy to William Ayers.

McCain very similar to Hilary was unable to control and manage his campaign. He let the campaign manage him. But that doesn't make him the victim. He's running for the President of the United States! If he can't control his campaign or is oblivious to all the negative aspects that are going on, then he has no business being our next President. We already have a President who's in a bubble, we don't need another.

McCain is a piece of shit, plain and simple. I don't give a fuck what he said when it was all said and done.

He put America second (or third or fourth? Definitely not first) to his political ambitions with the pick of Sarah Palin, and he did his best to have his base believe that Obama was associated with terrorism and extreme religion.

Fuck him and fuck anyone who helped him.

Dead serious, do not forgive these people just because we won.

DarienA

The Chosen One said:

I agree, McCain whether he publically admits it or not ran a dirty campaign... he didn't stay "true" to the supposed values he'd try to tell us previously he learned.

Barrett2

Snaku said:

COMMENCE REPUBLICAN MELTDOWN!! TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF PARTY CONFIRMED!!

JayDubya said:
Directed at an incompetent hypocrite who asserted values I could agree with but lacked the intellect to accomplish them and often did things many things contrary to those values.

Now directed at an intelligent individual who holds repugnant values.
You sound bitter and I don't understand why.

Wes

venison crêpe
Iksenpets said:
Because that's the Senate rules. The whole point of a filibuster is to delay the passage of a law when you don't have enough votes to beat it. What would be the point of even having the filibuster if the same majority it took to pass the bill could also be used to end debate?

Makes sense of course. I was just wondering why the number 60. Just a simple rule then, that is that?

Barrett2

_dementia said:
Did the Black take over?

Pretty much. Some black guy is whipping me right now and telling me to carry his books and shit... its like they think all white people are trash, which is terrible, because we aren't! *ouch!*

JayDubya

Banned
speculawyer said:
WTF is with ALASKA GOP? The 7X felon won?

GOP = Corruption is fine?!?!?

WTF?

If you elect someone that goes to prison / loses their office / whatever, then you gets to replace him through whatever means the state has in place, be it special election or governor appointment or whatever, and that will usually result in someone of the same party taking the spot.

If you vote for someone from the opposite party, that guy gets to stick around.

If you totally disagree with the guy from the other party, the decision to vote that way makes sense.

Flo_Evans

What a great day for this country. Sad about prop. 8 and sad that MO is still fucking stupid (still holding out hope that provisional ballots could turn it!) :lol

But FUCK YES! at least the majority of the country still has some sense! I am actually looking forward to going to work and high-fiving everyone I meet in the street on the way. :D

Calcaneus

Snaku said:

Really, that's awesome!

Say hello to 8 years of smelling what the Barack is cookin'.

RubxQub said:
McCain is a piece of shit, plain and simple. I don't give a fuck what he said when it was all said and done.

He put America second (or third or fourth? Definitely not first) to his political ambitions with the pick of Sarah Palin, and he did his best to have his base believe that Obama was associated with terrorism and extreme religion.

Fuck him and fuck anyone who helped him.

Dead serious, do not forgive these people just because we won.

No, dead wrong here.

We all are americans, you jackass.

Enjoy the fucking win, dont swirl in bitterness.

Brannon

I'll be first in line. But he's not going to get all the promises. No one is that delusional.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
JayDubya said:
If you elect someone that goes to prison / loses their office / whatever, then you gets to replace him through whatever means the state has in place, be it special election or governor appointment or whatever, and that will usually result in someone of the same party taking the spot.

If you vote for someone from the opposite party, that guy gets to stick around.

If you totally disagree with the guy from the other party, the decision to vote that way makes sense.
...but surely you believe that if someone is convicted of a multiple felonies that they should be expelled from the campaign process...right?

I understand what you're saying, but the fact that he's allowed to run at all is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom