• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDubya

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:
Bush never held the values he espoused to begin with. None of them.

Now we'll see how many of the values Obama espouses he really holds. It won't be many, but in some cases that might be a good thing.

Give me the odds on "I am my brother's keeper" with a straight face being not a value he holds.

Barrett2

So basically is it safe to assume Ted Stevens will win the election, the Republicans will force him to step down, and Palin will appoint herself to replace him? I give this about an 80% chance.

Our long national nightmare with this woman is only beginning... Ughhh...

TomServo

reilo said:
How sad that both Florida's and California's Gay Marriage bans will pass.

It really is sad. Florida, I can see. We've got some white trash in the panhandle, lots of old-school retirees, and plenty of bigots who've moved here from the northern US.

California? What happened?

Manics

Banned
I've never been happier to be wrong about something GAF. I thought the Democrats were crazy to have a black leader going into the election as I thought the U.S. would never elect a black president. I actually felt pride and joy last night watching from Canada. It's like the U.S. has turned a corner. Great job and a great victory. 8 years of hell is almost at an end, let's hope Bush doesn't start a new war before he leaves office.

Barrett2

TomServo said:
It really is sad. Florida, I can see. We've got some white trash in the panhandle, lots of old-school retirees, and plenty of bigots who've moved here from the northern US.

Chris Matthews made a good point on this last night. Just a few years ago these propositions would have passed with huge margins. In 2008 they barely passed.

IMO, in just a few more years we will be beyond this bigotry. Just give it more time; history is on our side.

Nolan.

Watching both address their camps is just so weird. On the one side Obama's seem so full of joy and acknowledging McCain whilst McCain's just seem like they want blood. Even when he's telling them ''no, no...no''. Anyway McCain seems a nice guy but i'm kind of intrigued to see what Obama is going to do for america, it's nice that he has the chance.

The only solace in all these anti-gay marriage laws passing is that just like the bigotry against minorities has faded with time, so it will against homosexuals. It's a shame they'll have to wait for it though.

JayDubya

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
I voted Bob Barr!

respecknucklesma5.jpg

Barrett2

so_awes said:
hey guys, when are we going to get our welfare checks??

For real. I am ready to quit my job, drop out of school and move into some rich white man's house! Where is my government benefits, Comrades!?

pestul

Wow, the popular vote was very decisive in the end (52-46). Despite a few inconsistencies, the polling was really damn accurate this time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TomServo said:

Willing to bet a lot of new voters for Obama, many church-going, have a different view on gay marriage than the President Elect.

It is a shame. If only California was split into North/South, North wouldn't even be close on the issue.

Florida: RCP nailed it!
NC: RCP underrepresented Obama
MO: RCP nailed it!
IN: RCP underrepresented Obama
GA: RCP underrepresented McCain
AZ: RCP underrepresented McCain
VA: RCP had it wrong, it came down to 0.3 points not +4.4 Obama
OH: RCP had it wrong again, Obama had a bigger victory than polls
CO: RCP nailed it
NV: RCP nailed it
PA: Obama destroyed the polls, he was up 15 points, not 6 points than polls suggested
NM: RCP nailed it

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Synth_floyd said:
The only solace in all these anti-gay marriage laws passing is that just like the bigotry against minorities has faded with time, so it will against homosexuals. It's a shame they'll have to wait for it though.

It's a bit ironic though, that black americans are the ones voting against gay marriage though.

C'mon people... don't you understand the common bond of oppression and civil rights here?!

What if the proposition was one of segregation and set in the 60's? Because that shit happened yo!

I was hoping the LP would get more support after the Ron Paul movement but unfortunately it seems like they got the usual ~0.5%. Maybe if Obama expands the government's powers a lot more then some legit small government conservatives will run against him in 2006. Still with the Dems winning the Presidency, and both houses of Congress during a time of economic crisis, it seems a lot like 1932 again.

Crayon Shinchan said:
It's a bit ironic though, that black americans are the ones voting against gay marriage though.

C'mon people... don't you understand the common bond of oppression and civil rights here?!

What if the proposition was one of segregation and set in the 60's? Because that shit happened yo!

Being anti-gay is EXACTLY the same as being anti-black or anti whatever. It's crazy that people are so ignorant.

Wes

venison crêpe
Can someone explain to me the importance of getting to 60 in the Senate would've been?

I mean why is it that 60 out of a 100 stops a fillibuster. Why isn't it just by majority?

bengraven

So happy I'm in tears, but it's going to be hard around here.

Reality stepped in the second my girlfriend woke up.

Her parents and uncle and aunt are basically planning on cutting us off financially and emotionally because of this. Her aunt and uncle didn't speak to her other aunt for over 6 months because this aunt talked shit about Bush last year.

:( and :D at the same time.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm absolutely elated this morning. Elated that Obama is actually going to be our next president. Elated that America didn't let me down. Elated that my horse finally came in first for once. Elated and shocked that my home state (IN) actually went for Obama.

It's time to get to work, but I'm going to savor this today.

Barrett2

Synth_floyd said:
Being anti-gay is EXACTLY the same as being anti-black or anti whatever. It's crazy that people are so ignorant.

Equal right are equal rights. You don't choose to be black and you don't choose to be gay.

1-D_FTW

artredis1980 said:
Florida: RCP nailed it!
NC: RCP underrepresented Obama
MO: RCP nailed it!
IN: RCP underrepresented Obama
GA: RCP underrepresented McCain
AZ: RCP underrepresented McCain
VA: RCP had it wrong, it came down to 0.3 points not +4.4 Obama
OH: RCP had it wrong again, Obama had a bigger victory than polls
CO: RCP nailed it
NV: RCP nailed it
PA: Obama destroyed the polls, he was up 15 points, not 6 points than polls suggested
NM: RCP nailed it

Am I reading this wrong? Obama won Virgina by 5 points. What's this .3 point about?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Synth_floyd said:

I'm not sure if you're attacking me here...

but I'm just saying that black people should've seen reflected in the struggles of gay people, the struggles they've had in the past and continue to a large degree to still have. Even though we've just put a black man into the white house, we've still a long way to go, to redressing the civil issues that plague them and other maligned minority groups.

In other words, I'm a little disappointed by their lack of empathy.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
AniHawk said:
So who was watching what when it was called for Obama?

I was watching The Daily Show.

It was so awesome.

I was watching Fox News, and I couldn't believe they were calling it I had to wipe my eyes...

Synth_floyd said:

No, it isn't exactly the same. But it's close enough that your point still stands. It's really sad that so many people can submit to bigotry and not even realize it.

Iksenpets

Banned
Wes said:
Can someone explain to me the importance of getting to 60 in the Senate would've been?

I mean why is it that 60 out of a 100 stops a fillibuster. Why isn't it just by majority?

Because that's the Senate rules. The whole point of a filibuster is to delay the passage of a law when you don't have enough votes to beat it. What would be the point of even having the filibuster if the same majority it took to pass the bill could also be used to end debate?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
lawblob said:
Equal right are equal rights. You don't choose to be black and you don't choose to be gay.

That is the problem. Obviously people know you don't choose your race, but there are still a ton of folks that think you choose to be gay or that it is a failing of values. Blah blah blah.

Barrett2

DKnight said:
Gay people have the same rights than everybody else.

What universe do you live on? You are 100% WRONG.

Gay people have less rights under many laws when it comes to ability to alienate property, devise insurance beneficiaries, designate beneficiaries under POD contracts, designate health care proxies, living wills, etc.

Federal and state laws exist that specifically preclude gay people from certain rights that straight people have.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I hope GAF isn't afraid to call out Obama if he doesn't deliver on his promises.
I hope no one is foolish enough to think he can deliver all of the campaign proposals he put forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom