• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Scarlet

Sharp said:
I got Guitar Hero IV today, which meant I was able to forget about this election for eight blissful hours. Obama's grandmother's death is terrible news :( Are the polls showing an Obama victory, at least? At this point I don't know if I could take anything else.

Earlier tonight:
1103b_mainchart.png

Cloudy

Banned
effzee said:
this is super late but i just realized i dont know where exactly to go cast my vote tomorrow. i i have the postcard that came in the mail but i cant find it.

is there a way online to find out?

Go to the SoS website for your state :p

Sharp

Where's the article in which Nate suggests we ignore exit polls? Not that we didn't learn our lesson in 2004, but I'm just curious.

BobTheFork said:
I dreamed that Vladimir Putin lost his leg in a bear trap while hunting and during his first meeting with Obama, he has a peg leg. I'd kinda like to see that happen too : )
If Vladimir Putin had a peg leg and Gordon Brown started wearing an eyepatch, how could Obama possibly up the ante? Parrot?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
icarus-daedelus said:
If Vladimir Putin had a peg leg and Gordon Brown started wearing an eyepatch, how could Obama possibly up the ante? Parrot?
Pirate Ship Force One.

Nicodimas

Banned
Clinton went from a weak pussy on defense

Yea this is what I will always believe about him....War mongerer hardly. Some of the internal things that happened in America were nuts like the militia movements. Him giving military so little money they couldn't practice with live ammo<bang/bang>, 1 bullet clips, etc. Him selling chinese nuclear secrets....

Trakdown

Mrs. Manky said:
About Snowwolf (?) and any other lazy ass who won't vote if they have to stay in line for more than 10 minutes:

Too many people have fought and marched and bled and died for the right to vote in the United States of America. To wimp out after ten minutes in line is an insult to the blood, sweat, and tears shed by these Americans. Thank you.

Just to add to this: There's octogenarians waiting 8 hours in line to vote. Don't tell me you can't hang..

Grifter

Not finding good info on some local elections, like judges. What should I do? Feels dumb to vote straight party but maybe we need some librul cooperation and offsetting of the past decade of hirings.

Nicodimas said:
Yea this is what I will always believe about him....War mongerer hardly. Some of the internal things that happened in America were nuts like the militia movements. Him giving military so little money they couldn't practice with live ammo<bang/bang>, 1 bullet clips, etc. Him selling chinese nuclear secrets....

That's not what our current president said when he ran or what nearly every Republican was saying circa 1998, 1999.

The magical trick is that "9/11 changed everything" so warmongering was now mandatory.

ToxicAdam

Mrs. Manky said:
Too many people have fought and marched and bled and died for the right to vote in the United States of America. .

Actually. most people did that because they were conscripted or had poor career opportunities in small towns of America.

It's a riot on right-wing radio right now, the talking heads comparing Obama's plan for a community service corps to the Hitler Youth and saying they'll be employed as civilian hit-squads targeting people who question Obama during his presidency, like the campaign did against Joe the Plumber. LOL

Sharp said:
Where's the article in which Nate suggests we ignore exit polls? Not that we didn't learn our lesson in 2004, but I'm just curious.

He said it on Countdown tonight. Remember, when it comes to predicting elections:

roflbot.jpg

Gary Whitta said:
It's a riot on right-wing radio right now, the talking heads comparing Obama's plan for a community service corps to the Hitler Youth and saying they'll be employed as civilian hit-squads targeting people who question Obama during his presidency, like the campaign did against Joe the Plumber. LOL
It's gonna be a fun 4/8 years. The right-wing shrieks may just surpass what they were during the Clinton administration, if that's possible.

Nicodimas

Banned
I am not with you on that one Stoney...I can't think of one time on a right gunboard I have heard that..The other stuff I hear all the time though. Hmm I will keep my eyes on it...

I have seen those war used as justification that Clinton started wars just like bush, but slightly different meaning.

Nicodimas said:

Wow . . . the far-right is truly delusional. :lol

Grifter said:
Not finding good info on some local elections, like judges. What should I do? Feels dumb to vote straight party but maybe we need some librul cooperation and offsetting of the past decade of hirings.

Local newspaper is a good first source.

Trakdown

Gary Whitta said:

:lol :lol And it's not even official yet.

Nicodimas said:
I am not with you on that one Stoney...I can't think of one time on a right gunboard I have heard that..The other stuff I hear all the time though. Hmm I will keep my eyes on it...

I have seen those war used as justification that Clinton started wars just like bush, but slightly different meaning.

VERBATIM QUOTES FROM WHEN CLINTON WAS COMMITTING TROOPS TO BOSNIA:

"You can support the troops but not the president."--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)
"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."--Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"--Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."--Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)"

American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
--Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."--Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."-- Governor George W. Bush (R)-TX

LCGeek

formerly sane
mamacint said:
It's gonna be a fun 4/8 years. The right-wing shrieks may just surpass what they were during the Clinton administration, if that's possible.

Don't doubt the power of hate when it comes to race. If you think they went nuts over sexual repressed emotions they fight over for no legitimate reason imagine the race card amplifying the situation.

Nicodimas said:

Clinton sold nuclear secrets to the Chinese? You're accusing him of treason, punishable by death. What do you base such a serious claim on?

Sharp

Fragamemnon said:
He said it on Countdown tonight. Remember, when it comes to predicting elections:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc315/fragamemnon/roflbot.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I can't apply logic to this situation. 99% chance of victory or no, I will not believe anything until every last fucking vote is counted. Well, okay, if any of the networks call it that will probably be enough for me...

I have a lab report to write tomorrow. It probably won't get done.

devilhawk

Grifter said:
Voting uninformed is bad, judges shouldn't be an exception.

Hootie

Gary Whitta said:

wat :lol

Kusagari

Mrs. Manky said:
About Snowwolf (?) and any other lazy ass who won't vote if they have to stay in line for more than 10 minutes:

Too many people have fought and marched and bled and died for the right to vote in the United States of America. To wimp out after ten minutes in line is an insult to the blood, sweat, and tears shed by these Americans. Thank you.

I'm one of the laziest and most impatient motherfuckers on the planet. Yet, I waited 5 hours yesterday to vote in Florida. If I can wait 5 fucking hours to vote, you fellow lazy asses can.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doris Kearns Goodwin on the Daily Show right now! Man, I love that woman. My university was part of a live CSPAN talk with her, and she is hilarious and informative.

Sharp

Nicodimas said:
Stoney he really aught to have thought of a exit strategy!

Great quotes. Not warmonger, but politics as usual.
I see in you a man without a trace of irony in his soul.

I'm in California and I'm still waking up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to vote as early possible. I'll wait in line for four fucking hours if I have to! I want so badly to be proud of my country again. LET'S DO THIS SHIT, PEOPLE!

*chomps beef jerky*

*chugs beer*

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Atrus

Gold Member
Stoney Mason said:
VERBATIM QUOTES FROM WHEN CLINTON WAS COMMITTING TROOPS TO BOSNIA:

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."-- Governor George W. Bush (R)-TX

I think this one set new records for irony.

I had an idea for a thread, not sure if it is a good idea / if there is enough interest / if it is allowed.

Lots of places are giving away free stuff to people that vote (Starbucks for example). I think this is a great idea so I thought I would do it myself here on GAF. I'm thinking of starting a thread and the first person to post a picture of themselves with an "I Voted" sticker or ballot stub (and their GAF name written on a piece of paper as proof it is really them) will get two songs (or one music video) on iTunes from me as a gift. I'd hope that other GAFFERS would join me and offer up other gifts to people that vote and that those that get gifts might "pass it on" and do the same for somebody else by giving away a gift.

So... Good idea? Will people participate? Is this allowed? I imagine it is allowed as there are "pass it on" threads in the Gaming Forum for free MS points and there's also the "free to a good home" thread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom