• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

kkaabboomm said:
i cant decide if i want to get up at 5:45am and be one of the first at the polls, or wait until 5:45pm and try and be one of the last people in the lines when they cut it off.

Why would you want to be waiting in line when you could be watching the results on TV at hanging out on poliGAF?! VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!

On Nicodimas, I've found this very situation interesting, one where the other hasn't even considered the other side.

Some of us do not think government is inherently evil. It can be inefficient, sure. Corrupt, yes. It'll never be "pure."

But that's life! We have to make do with what we got and do the best we can. Government can provide lots of good services, and it can also intrude unnecessarily. That's why we can vote; we can choose what programs and what Senators to advocate/block programs.

Bernbaum

Tobor said:
Of course. It's standard practice for any campaign, really.

Did Bush announce victory publicly on election night in 2000? I know the whole thing dragged on for weeks afterwards, and there was the footage of Gore claiming victory at the beginning of that Michael Moore film, but did Bush give a speech or anything?

edit: Sorry, 2000, not 2004

Sharp

I got Guitar Hero IV today, which meant I was able to forget about this election for eight blissful hours. Obama's grandmother's death is terrible news :( Are the polls showing an Obama victory, at least? At this point I don't know if I could take anything else.

:lol at the "Obama is weak on national security" ad.

I love how they quote Obama saying "we will not build more nuclear weapons", as if that's some horrible thing to say. Oh noes, guess we'll just have to stay with the thousands that we have now

Tamanon

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Did Bush announce victory publicly on election night in 2004? I know the whole thing dragged on for weeks afterwards, and there was the footage of Gore claiming victory at the beginning of that Michael Moore film, but did Bush give a speech or anything?

In 2000? Bush claimed victory, Gore even conceded that night. Of course he unconceded later on.

camineet

Banned
The first election I can clearly remember:

electoral-map-1984.jpg

BTW A landslide is concidered to be over 300 or 320 points.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081103/D947L2780.html

Ed Rollins, who helped engineer Reagan's 1984 runaway, defines a landslide as "any time you get over 300 or 320 electoral votes." He thinks Obama is on track for more than 300.

Tobor

Bernbaum said:
Did Bush announce victory publicly on election night in 2004? I know the whole thing dragged on for weeks afterwards, and there was the footage of Gore claiming victory at the beginning of that Michael Moore film, but did Bush give a speech or anything?

You mean 2000? He gave a quick speech to his supporters if I remember correctly. The point is, yes, both campaigns have events planned for tomorrow night. Every campaign does.

soul creator said:
:lol at the "Obama is weak on national security" ad.

I love how they quote Obama saying "we will not build more nuclear weapons", as if that's some horrible thing to do. Oh noes, guess we'll just have to stay with the thousands that we have now

The humorous bit is that Clinton went from a weak pussy on defense to a war mongering lunatic all the way to weak pussy again who weakened America so 9/11 happened. Republican history is always revisionist.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Fatalah said:
Why would you want to be waiting in line when you could be watching the results on TV at hanging out on poliGAF?! VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!
Hell yea brother, I'm going there first thing in the morning!

the only thing stopping me is Poli-gaf keeping me awake atm.

Shut down GAF, get people to go out and vote!

ToxicAdam

zaccheus said:
why do people even go to polls? isn't the mail in ballot a lot more efficient? does your vote count more or what?

The process of voting is exciting.... plus you get to wear a cool sticker the rest of the day.

camineet

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
The humorous bit is that Clinton went from a weak pussy on defense to a war mongering lunatic

Desert Fox/1998, the biggest pounding U.S. gave Iraq between Desert Storm/1991 and the 2003 invasion.

effzee

this is super late but i just realized i dont know where exactly to go cast my vote tomorrow. i i have the postcard that came in the mail but i cant find it.

is there a way online to find out?

I think I'd be more stoked for tomorrow if I hadn't sent my absentee ballot in weeks ago. Instead, I'm kind of just on edge, mostly because a lot of my friends are expecting the worst.

sangreal

SpeedingUptoStop said:
This obama story about getting fired up is great.

Of course it is, its a tried and tested classic! Been telling it for a good year at least now :)

I wish he brought back the Yes, We Can speech from NH loss once or twice

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Colorado Tidbit from out local news.

They expect to be counting Colorado ballots well into Wednesday morning due to the amount of mail-in and paper ballots expected to be cast tomorrow, however the state is hopeful that they will know who comes out on top by 8:00pm (MST).

About Snowwolf (?) and any other lazy ass who won't vote if they have to stay in line for more than 10 minutes:

Too many people have fought and marched and bled and died for the right to vote in the United States of America. To wimp out after ten minutes in line is an insult to the blood, sweat, and tears shed by these Americans. Thank you.

WedgeX

Banned
The sources I found for my girlfriend (and some comments), should anyone else want to pass it on...

Here's PBS's Frontline, which has video interviews with their advisors and friends who know them best. Also, if you click on each candidate, under analysis it gives text answers of important events in their political journeys.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/choice2008/

Also, here is the general PBS guide to the 2008 election.

http://www.pbs.org/vote2008/

Next up is the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life (part of the Pew Research Group). If you click (on the right) on any of the campaign candidate issues, it will give you a run down of what each one thinks on the issue.

http://pewforum.org/religion08/

And because it is relevant to both of our thinking, here is the Pew Research Center's two interviewers/analysts discussing Catholicism and how it is affecting the election (named "Will Obama Win the White Catholic Vote"), based on polling data and what explains it.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1016/obama-catholic-vote

Here is the Chicago Tribune's election center. From there you can go to "On the Issues" next to each candidate and it will give a run down of what they believe (warning, its a pdf).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/

And of course here is Fact Check.org. Here you can check or search for any facts.

Use it while going through the rest.

http://www.factcheck.org/

Hope this helps.

devilhawk

So anyone want to guess what 2016 will be like, political climate wise? I am thinking congress becomes split, possibly even barely republican favored by 2012. Even more likely by 2014. The winds will switch direction again, they always do.

tanod

when is my burrito
He told the fired up story at the last rally. Ever since I first heard it, I've just loved that story. Gets me fired UP!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom