• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Odrion said:
080828DailyUpdateGraph1_thnbvrw.gif

just cause I wanna see the graff

Can't wait until after he doesn't get the 15 point bounce the McCain camp "predicted" and then the media's all like "Why didn't Obama get a bigger bounce??"

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
scorcho said:
no fearmongering, but i'd expect a valid comparison.

European high gas prices = pigouvian tax levied by the gov't (upwards of 60% in some countries) to influence consumption and technological changes, and it works!

p10b.gif

Gallup can kiss my ass - whoever said they're the worst thing to happen to political discourse in the last 20 years was right.

Jesus. No wonder Americans continue to whine continually about fuel prices, even though they have some of the lowest prices in the developed western world. Fuckwits are paying as much per drive anyway. Probably more so, when you factor in their love of surburban development and commute.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Jesus. No wonder Americans continue to whine continually about fuel prices, even though they have some of the lowest prices in the developed western world. Fuckwits are paying as much per drive anyway. Probably more so, when you factor in their love of surburban development and commute.

Hey now...

Tamanon

Banned
Well if it's not Romney, then McCain is just trying to make him feel like a complete douche, since Romney will be at the rallies on Saturday and Sunday with McCain and his Veep.

I'm pretty sure there's no way it's not Romney.

I'm pretty sure that Invesco background for Obama is meant to look like the White House. Not sure how I feel about this. Didn't they learn from the Presidential seal fiasco?

Odrion

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Can't wait until after he doesn't get the 15 point bounce the McCain camp "predicted" and then the media's all like "Why didn't Obama get a bigger bounce??"
Hey, it can only get higher after what happened last night. ;)

Zeliard

Crayon Shinchan said:

Commute isn't a love, it's a necessity, and that all goes back to infrastructure. Living in the city is often overly expensive.

Gary Whitta said:
I'm pretty sure that Invesco background for Obama is meant to look like the White House. Not sure how I feel about this. Didn't they learn from the Presidential seal fiasco?

The seal was incredibly blatant, though. I don't think this is the same.

Tamanon

Banned
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/banning-private.html

Wha?

More on the radicalism of the GOP's platform on embryonic stem cell research. The party is now formally committed not just to forbidding government from funding research, but also to banning private funding for such research. I'm unaware of any previous commitments to banning private scientific research because it violates Christianist doctrine. But this assault on scientific inquiry is of a piece with the logic of Christianism. Why isn't McCain asked about this? Why is this not a major story? Not as vital as whether a campaign set is Greek or Roman or just, well, columns for large TV screens?

They changed the platform this year for the RNC to push for banning both government funded embryonic stem-cell research and PRIVATE stem-cell research. That's just a big WTF there.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Remember people, that Gallup bump is for the polls they did YESTERDAY about TUESDAY. Meaning, tomorrow's polls will be polling people TODAY after they watched the Bill and Joe speech.

Tamanon said:
Well if it's not Romney, then McCain is just trying to make him feel like a complete douche, since Romney will be at the rallies on Saturday and Sunday with McCain and his Veep.

who let the dogs out

tanod

when is my burrito
bob_arctor said:

The, perhaps, unique thing about Obama's bounce is that it's going to come from the Democratic base consolidating around him. He is already really strong with independents. If true, this would point to a surge in support that may actually be sustained through the Republican convention next week.

tanod said:
The, perhaps, unique thing about Obama's bounce is that it's going to come from the Democratic base consolidating around him. He is already really strong with independents. If true, this would point to a surge in support that may actually be sustained through the Republican convention next week.

I'm not optimistic that any bounce in the polls will withstand four straight days of GOP smears, personally.

Zeliard

Tamanon said:

If Pawlenty and Lieberman are the alternatives, it pretty much has to be Romney, doesn't it? Is Ridge still in the running?

Tamanon

Banned
Yup, Bombney. And the fact that Secret Service is there already makes me think that McCain will make his announcement of Romney during that weird commercial he's planning after Obama's speech.

I seem to remember Romney getting visibly enraged during a couple of the primary debates. That's just what we need, a POTUS and a VPOTUS both with anger management issues.

mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
How many houses would they have between them? :lol

Seamus' story will be told. Maybe a commercial during "The Greatest American Dog" on CBS would be fitting? :D

Zeliard said:
Commute isn't a love, it's a necessity, and that all goes back to infrastructure. Living in the city is often overly expensive.
Yeah. I mean, if you're talking about people living in huge McMansions an hour outside the city limits, then I can see your point. But for a lot of cities, people of moderate incomes and families are almost always going to want to settle into adequately sized homes when their mortgage payments for such a place are equivalent to what they would be paying for a shanty apartment in the city. Factor in that the infrastructure was built when gas was relatively cheap, and it's easy to understand why people migrated towards the 'burbs.

Now, it's not so much that individuals lacked the foresight to know that we would see an energy crunch, so much as the infrastructure makes it difficult to not drive in your own car individually to work. Public transit is terrible where I live (across the river from St. Louis). It's pretty much just there as an afterthought for those too impoverished to own their own car.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Romney? Awesome. They talked a lot of back and forth shit at the debates, him and McCain IIRC. Can't wait for the inevitable ad from the Obama camp (even though I personally think they shouldn't bother).

grandjedi6 said:
Stupid Republican Party. You are suppose to be moving AWAY from extreme social conservatism

They've dug themselves a hole. I'm sure half those folks on Capitol Hill aren't nearly as fundamentalist as they come across, but it's pandering to their base and in doing so, builds on this cycle of increasing conservatism. Now it's like, they can't go back anymore because they're afraid to be called out as being in the wrong, even if they think the party has gone too far.

The ad thats going to be aired closer to the election surrounding the amount of flip-flops both these candidates have done is going to be so epic.

Romney is a good debater though... so there is a chance that Biden could fuck up against him.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Steve Youngblood said:
Yeah. I mean, if you're talking about people living in huge McMansions an hour outside the city limits, then I can see your point. But for a lot of cities, people of moderate incomes and families are almost always going to want to settle into adequately sized homes when their mortgage payments for such a place are equivalent to what they would be paying for a shanty apartment in the city. Factor in that the infrastructure was built when gas was relatively cheap, and it's easy to understand why people migrated towards the 'burbs.

Now, it's not so much that individuals lacked the foresight to know that we would see an energy crunch, so much as the infrastructure makes it difficult to not drive in your own car individually to work. Public transit is terrible where I live (across the river from St. Louis). It's pretty much just there as an afterthought for those too impoverished to own their own car.

East St Louis? Oh man, I feel sorry for you.

tanod

when is my burrito
syllogism said:
Meanwhile...

"Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R-MN) is canceling print and broadcast interviews for the day... " - Ambinder

It's a feint to make the Romney choice a "surprise."

Pat Buchanan in a brief period of sanity last night made a great case as to why McCain shouldn't pick Pawlenty. Boring. "No" experience. Not comfortable or particularly effective with attack-dog politics.

EDIT: Biden will absolutely slay Mitt "multiple-choice" Romney.

Kusagari

Karma Kramer said:
The ad thats going to be aired closer to the election surrounding the amount of flip-flops both these candidates have done is going to be so epic.

Romney is a good debater though... so there is a chance that Biden could fuck up against him.

Romney could be good at instigating Biden into saying something stupid. That's about his only upside.

Javaman

Jason's Ultimatum said:

So money coming into corporations should be double taxed? Corps pay their taxes on profits after paying expenses like payroll. If they tax the profits before expenses, the owner of the corps (many of which are small businesses) will have to pay tax two times on the same money. It stands to reason that corps pay less taxes because the owners take their pay out before the corps pay taxes. (and they pay income tax on it)

scorcho said:
no fearmongering, but i'd expect a valid comparison.

European high gas prices = pigouvian tax levied by the gov't (upwards of 60% in some countries) to influence consumption and technological changes, and it works!

p10b.gif

Gallup can kiss my ass - whoever said they're the worst thing to happen to political discourse in the last 20 years was right.

Where are they getting these future trend points? California was trending down and then all of the sudden it shoots up. What a load of crap.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Is Romney actually good at debates? Every time I saw him he came off as vapid and fake and that "Double Guantanamo!" line was not only stupid (duh) but even as red meat it failed since he delivered it so robotically.

And if Romney is the pick, does this mean the elitist talking point against Obama dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom