• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
scorcho said:
noooooooooo....

69kqpz.gif
If you know anything about financial markets, you know that they are usually wrong. Traders may know very brief movements in things, but almost all of them lose the "big picture". See Nintendo as a perfect example.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mathews calling out this republican strategist is great.

He basically asked him whether or not McCain is saying that Obama called Palin a "pig", and the strategist says "I don't know." Mathews response? He paid for the damn ad, so of course he is saying that.

HOLY SHIT. He just pulled a book from a McCain campaign manager who wrote a book named "LIPSTICK ON A PIG". His former press secretary wrote the damn book!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
TheKingsCrown said:
If you know anything about financial markets, you know that they are usually wrong. Traders may know very brief movements in things, but almost all of them lose the "big picture". See Nintendo as a perfect example.
intrade had been relatively stable until Palin's pick - then all hell broke loose.

AndyIsTheMoney said:
yeah your right, were still not in parts of Europe, and Afghanistan. And Japan is allowed to create an army outside of protecting its own borders.

If you can't see the difference between what we're doing in Europe and Japan (and what we did do after the war) and what we're doing in Iraq, then you're hopeless.

Zeliard

reilo said:
41cBwbqzfuL._SL500_AA242_PIkin-dp-500,BottomRight,-21,38_AA280_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Torie Clarke is McCain's former press secretary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torie_Clarke

:lol :lol :lol

This is even better:

Later, it turned out that McCain himself used the phrase more than once, including last year, when he was talking about Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's 1990s health care plan.

He said last October, "I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/09/palin_camp_takes_umbrage_at_li.html

avaya

Matthews is the closest thing you guys have to a Paxman or Jon Snow. Why the fuck are MSNBC removing him as anchor?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Xisiqomelir said:
Hold your faith, people.

Obamabet.jpg
i don't care about polls silly - this is money we're talking about!

although, this is a good time to buy into Obama if you hadn't already.

PhoenixDark said:
Ok, now it's time for a bit of concern
Meh, it's temporary. Most of these polls aren't going to be of great concern until the end of the month/beginning of next when whatever effect the conventions and newness of VP picks wears thin.

New Mexico is Obama's state, Kerry lost it by like < .1% and Bush did way better with Hispanics in 2004 than McCain can possibly do in 2008.

Ras also thinks that the Senate race there is close, which is also complete nonsense given that the GOP already abandoned the campaign there-if they were only down single digits they wouldn't have left the state.

Kerry+IA+NM is indeed lock at this point. Michigan is a New Jersey style distraction for the GOP. They need to get their defense on and hope they can run the table.

reilo

PhoenixDark said:
Ok, now it's time for a bit of concern

Not really:

Rasmussen Markets shows that Democrats are currently given a 65.0 % chance of winning New Mexico’s Five Electoral College votes this fall. President Bush won the state by 6,000 votes out of nearly 750,000 in Election 2004. With release of this poll, New Mexico moves from “Leans Democratic” to “Toss-Up” in the Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator.

Tamanon

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
To anyone that donated to McCain: he is making commercials like these with your money :lol

To be fair, at this time he's using either the money that all taxpayers gave him(even better!) or the RNC/Victory fund/Awesome fund/McCain-Palin for City Council secret presidential fund.

Xisiqomelir

Tamanon said:
To be fair, at this time he's using either the money that all taxpayers gave him(even better!) or the RNC/Victory fund/Awesome fund/McCain-Palin for City Council secret presidential fund.

This is why I never check the $3 box on my taxes.

scorcho said:
i don't care about polls silly - this is money we're talking about!

although, this is a good time to buy into Obama if you hadn't already.

Hi-5. How much did you buy, dude?

JayDubya

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
This is why I never check the $3 box on my taxes.

Public financing stuff used to piss me off a whole lot until I understood where the money came from.

As is, I wonder: a) Who the fuck are these fucktards that check the box?

& b) Why can't more things have little boxes next to them? "Would you like to donate $0.50 to the Federal Endowment for the Arts?" Fuck no!

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090903727.html?hpid=topnews

John Feehery, a Republican strategist, said the campaign is entering a stage in which skirmishes over the facts are less important than the dominant themes that are forming voters' opinions of the candidates.

"The more the New York Times and The Washington Post go after Sarah Palin, the better off she is, because there's a bigger truth out there and the bigger truths are she's new, she's popular in Alaska and she is an insurgent," Feehery said. "As long as those are out there, these little facts don't really matter."

Well....at least they'ree being honest about something.

BIDEN!

Says at a Boston fundraiser: “What really disappoints me is the very tactics used against him, they’re trying to use against Barack Obama now. It’s literally saddening.”

“I didn’t expect it…But I guess I should learn to expect everything.”

random question, but why does Halperin seem to always call Obama, "Land of Lincolner" on his site?

I understand the Illinois-Lincoln connection but it seems like kind of a weird phrase. And the only place I ever see it used is on that site.

edit: apparently it's the official Illinois slogan or something?

soul creator said:
random question, but why does Halperin seem to always call Obama, "Land of Lincolner" on his site?

I understand the Illinois-Lincoln connection but it seems like kind of a weird phrase. And the only place I ever see it used is on that site.

It is really annoying.

reilo

Can we get a screen grab of Mathews throwing out the book "Lipstick on a Pig" out there? It's so awesome.gif

jmdajr

factcheck.org on sarah palin..

link

* Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn’t cut it at all. In fact, she tripled per-pupil funding over just three years.

* She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

* She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She’s been registered as a Republican since May 1982.

* Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a "courtesy" when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.

* Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

soul creator said:

edit: apparently it's the official Illinois slogan or something?
Halperin is a tool. Ignore him.

GhaleonEB said:
As if his constant appearances on FOX News weren't enough of a clue...

Matthews is doing a good job calling them out, but at the same time he's saying how "trivial" the pig thing is he's still devoting the entire hour to it.

reilo said:
Can we get a screen grab of Mathews throwing out the book "Lipstick on a Pig" out there? It's so awesome.gif

YES wow I was hoping someone would literally actually pull the book out on a Republican strategist. Did he really do that?

reilo

BenjaminBirdie said:
YES wow I was hoping someone would literally actually pull the book out on a Republican strategist. Did he really do that?

TWICE. On two different strategists at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom