• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
APF said:
I can't tell if Biden's endorsement of Hillary for his and Obama's jobs is weird pandering or weird honesty. But I do know that this is the strangest election ever.

i think he was just trying to be sincere and honest. but seriously why would you ever say someone else (who many believe should have been the VP pick), maybe better suited than yourself to be the VP. If he really thinks she would be a better VP than him, then why would he have accepted the position?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Odrion said:
I just really want Obama to be elected, I can't even comprehend what a McCain administration would do.

Patrick J. Buchanan: "The Arizona senator says our jobs are not coming back, the illegals are not going home, and we are going to have more wars."

pxleyes

Banned
AndyIsTheMoney said:
i think he was just trying to be sincere and honest. but seriously why would you ever say someone else (who many believe should have been the VP pick), maybe better suited than yourself to be the VP. If he really thinks she would be a better VP than him, then why would he have accepted the position?
It was a hypothetical, nothing more. It in no way reflects on Biden's ability to handle the job.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That John McCain "Obama wants to teach kids about sex" ad? Alan Keyes pulled the same shit when running against Obama.

Yes. Alan Keyes.

laserbeam

Banned
Guileless said:
Patrick J. Buchanan: "The Arizona senator says our jobs are not coming back, the illegals are not going home, and we are going to have more wars."

The Jobs lost in industry won't be coming home no matter who is president, the Illegals will not be sent home no matter who is president and as far as wars go no one knows what the future holds.

So I just got back from my first political meeting ever.

I'll admit, it was kind of weird for me because I'm not really a very "social" guy :lol

What struck me immediately was the incredible cross section of people who showed up. It was a good mix of blacks, whites, mixed :D, and a few Asians. There were a few teenagers there, but the majority of the folks seemed to be senior citizens with a handful of people around my age (27). The main seating area filled up quickly and they had to bring out extra chairs for all of the stragglers.

In the Q/A session, I could tell that one of the things that was on the minds of almost everyone was "when is Obama going to hit back?" "When is he going to take the gloves off?" "When are we going on the offensive?" Definitely, in the base, there is some stirring for something more aggressive.

The speaker, Bonnie Watson Coleman, pointed out that NJ is solidly navy blue but that we still needed to get the facts out and canvas NJ and get people registered to vote. She also brought up Bucks county in PA (as it's pretty close to where my township is). According to her, it's one of the most contested counties in all of PA right now and the general thinking is that if Obama can win the 5 major counties in the Philly area, he can win PA.

So now I'm thinking of taking a weekend or two and volunteering in PA with my wife.

If you guys haven't looked into local meetings, you should check out any in your area and go! Meet up with other Obama supports in real life :lol you'll be surprised by how well well educated they are on the topics and how much they reflect a lot of the same sentiment of PoliGAF.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
laserbeam said:
The Jobs lost in industry won't be coming home no matter who is president, the Illegals will not be sent home no matter who is president and as far as wars go no one knows what the future holds.

Then vote McCain! Voting for either candidate won't make a difference. Just like voting for Bush or Gore made no difference to this country, amirite?

laserbeam

Banned
reilo said:
Then vote McCain! Voting for either candidate won't make a difference. Just like voting for Bush or Gore made no difference to this country, amirite?

I did not say no difference but those 3 arguements are off base. if anything at least McCain is being straight with the people regarding automotive jobs etc. They are done and gone. American greed and desire for Walmart prices killed the Industrial backbone.

Niether side really wants to get rid of the Illegals. We even had the amnesty and then tough law enforcement angle in the 80's saw how well that worked.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Odrion said:
We can joke about this as much as we want, but imagine this actually happening. My god, could you really live through this and keep your sanity?

I consume more news than the average person, and I have probably read about and watched the Memphis Grizzlies more than the Iraq war since 2003.

Hootie

soul creator said:
I love Rachel and Pat :lol

2iieq87.gif

CharlieDigital said:
So I just got back from my first political meeting ever.

I'll admit, it was kind of weird for me because I'm not really a very "social" guy :lol

What struck me immediately was the incredible cross section of people who showed up. It was a good mix of blacks, whites, mixed :D, and a few Asians. There were a few teenagers there, but the majority of the folks seemed to be senior citizens with a handful of people around my age (27). The main seating area filled up quickly and they had to bring out extra chairs for all of the stragglers.

In the Q/A session, I could tell that one of the things that was on the minds of almost everyone was "when is Obama going to hit back?" "When is he going to take the gloves off?" "When are we going on the offensive?" Definitely, in the base, there is some stirring for something more aggressive.

The speaker, Bonnie Watson Coleman, pointed out that NJ is solidly navy blue but that we still needed to get the facts out and canvas NJ and get people registered to vote. She also brought up Bucks county in PA (as it's pretty close to where my township is). According to her, it's one of the most contested counties in all of PA right now and the general thinking is that if Obama can win the 5 major counties in the Philly area, he can win PA.

So now I'm thinking of taking a weekend or two and volunteering in PA with my wife.

If you guys haven't looked into local meetings, you should check out any in your area and go! Meet up with other Obama supports in real life :lol you'll be surprised by how well well educated they are on the topics and how much they reflect a lot of the same sentiment of PoliGAF.

Sounds cool. Just curious, where in NJ was this meeting? I'm from Ocean County.

reilo said:
That John McCain "Obama wants to teach kids about sex" ad? Alan Keyes pulled the same shit when running against Obama.

Yes. Alan Keyes.

This bodes well.

reilo said:

yeah youre right, government runs our lives, we have no control. whoever is elected is going to determine my life for the next 4 years

HylianTom

Banned
Odrion said:
We can joke about this as much as we want, but imagine this actually happening. My god, could you really live through this and keep your sanity?

I'll keep my sanity, but only by ceasing to care.

If McCain wins, I simply don't see Justice Stevens making it for another 4 years. He's almost 90 years old, and has been hanging-on for a long time. His departure would give the court a 5-4 absolute lock in favor of the right wing.

There's also Justice Ginsburg. If she somehow doesn't make it, it goes to 6-3 conservative. They'd likely have the court for at least 20 or 30 years. I turn 30 years old on Monday morning, and I'd be likely in my 60's before this country even began to recover from such a disaster. It would take decades to regain the ground we would lose.

On top of this, older conservative justices would feel free to retire and be replaced by younger conservative counterparts.

And don't count on the Democrats in the Senate to hold the line in their confirmation proceedings. When was the last time you saw any kind of spine exhibited in their actions?

Losing the court for decades would be an unprecedented disaster for us, the good guys. We could win the White House and majorities in the House and Senate for years on-end, passing all the laws we want in attempts to reform our country, but right-wingers could issue challenges to these laws knowing that the court would ultimately stack against us, knocking these laws down as they see fit. It sounds apocalyptic, but you know as well as I do that if a new law is the least bit controversial, it'll be challenged in court.

If we lose, and if these things do indeed come to pass, I'm out. This is the point at which I give-up and personally prepare for (and smugly observe) this country's slide into oblivion.

Until then, I fight and hope.

(edit: good morning. Just woke-up and had this bottled-up! :lol )

Anyone have a link to the full video of the Obama speech in VA this morning that was on CNN? I don't see the whole thing on youtube, especially the Q/A session afterward.

Link for my wife would be appreciated if you have the whole thing.

Frank the Great said:
Sounds cool. Just curious, where in NJ was this meeting? I'm from Ocean County.

East Windsor in Mercer

Diablos

APF said:
I can't tell if Biden's endorsement of Hillary for his and Obama's jobs is weird pandering or weird honesty. But I do know that this is the strangest election ever.
It's hard to say how much this will have an effect on Biden, but regardless, he shouldn't have said it.

Door2Dawn

Banned
HylianTom said:
I'll keep my sanity, but only by ceasing to care.

If McCain wins, I simply don't see Justice Stevens making it for another 4 years. He's almost 90 years old, and has been hanging-on for a long time. His departure would give the court a 5-4 absolute lock in favor of the right wing.

There's also Justice Ginsburg. If she somehow doesn't make it, it goes to 6-3 conservative. They'd likely have the court for at least 20 or 30 years. I turn 30 years old on Monday morning, and I'd be likely in my 60's before this country even began to recover from such a disaster. It would take decades to regain the ground we would lose.

On top of this, older conservative justices would feel free to retire and be replaced by younger conservative counterparts.

And don't count on the Democrats in the Senate to hold the line in their confirmation proceedings. When was the last time you saw any kind of spine exhibited in their actions?

Losing the court for decades would be an unprecedented disaster for us, the good guys. We could win the White House and majorities in the House and Senate for years on-end, passing all the laws we want in attempts to reform our country, but right-wingers could issue challenges to these laws knowing that the court would ultimately stack against us, knocking these laws down as they see fit. It sounds apocalyptic, but you know as well as I do that if a new law is the least bit controversial, it'll be challenged in court.

If we lose, and if these things do indeed come to pass, I'm out. This is the point at which I give-up and personally prepare for (and smugly observe) this country's slide into oblivion.

Until then, I fight and hope.

(edit: good morning. Just woke-up and had this bottled-up! :lol )
Oh please..

firex

so I've been thinking, since Palin eats moose burgers and lives closer to Russia than any other person on either ticket, doesn't that make her a secret KGB Canadian Communist?

Amir0x

Banned
Clevinger said:
Well, this is certainly ironic...

What Did Palin Request in Federal Earmarks?

Seal DNA Research!

:lol

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/so_what_does_alaskas_millions.php

You know what freaks me out about stories like this? How frighteningly specific McCain's rebuke of his vice president's actions were before he picked her.

Like, what are the fucking odds that he'd pick a running mate that requested earmarks to do Seal DNA Research, when you're quoted as saying "We're not going to spend $3 million of your tax dollars to study the DNA of bears in Montana"? That's just bizarre.

I'd be more shocked if McCain hadn't actually REALLY criticized Palin's exact earmarks, but this is some hyper specialized rebuttals of Palin's own actions from the "president to-be." It amuses me.

CharlieDigital said:
bu bu bu but i thought no one in the real world was like people on GAF. That's what GAF told me.

firex said:
so I've been thinking, since Palin eats moose burgers and lives closer to Russia than any other person on either ticket, doesn't that make her a secret KGB Canadian Communist?
She's a commie??

MAN TEH HARPOONS

polyh3dron said:
bu bu bu but i thought no one in the real world was like people on GAF. That's what GAF told me.

They're kind of like GAF....but older and grumpier that Obama isn't kicking McCain's ass :lol

I'm still looking for the CNN Q/A session if anyone has a link for it, I would appreciate it cuz it was full of awesome and win (but I'm not finding it via googs and it's not in any of the BarackObamadotcom videos on youtube).

Door2Dawn

Banned
Hootie said:
Any reason why 538 didn't update its graphs/map at all today?
Theres going to be a huge McCain bump tomorrow.

They didn't have enough time to input all of the data,so there going use today and tomorrow to put it in.

Iksenpets

Banned
laserbeam said:
been wondering that myself. they have posted repeatedly today but nothing about polls etc :/

From their most recent update on focus group response to the lip stick ad:

(And, yes, I'm buying time here until the polling update. My laptop broke -- anyone got a Best Buy gift card? -- and it's going to take a bit of time to update the version of the model I have on my backup computer).

Macam

Banned
Chichikov said:
I'm pretty sure the majority of American-Cubans are hardline anti-Castro who support the sanctions.

That's a massive simplification. Older generation Cuban immigrants are, but as someone who's done quite a bit of reading on this front, the majority numbers are falling, especially amongst later waves of immigrants (the actual FIU report is also available online). There's widespread support for repealing many of the restrictions the current administration has put in place, namely on family travel and remittances. Obama is in good standing here as his position is to repeal those and use that as a starting point for leverage, which is largely in line with much of the polling among Cubans and Americans -- although Americans tend to have varying opinions on Cuba, depending on how the question is phrased.

Additionally, the NYT had a good in-depth look at things in Florida from back in July.

Eric P

firex said:

bunk.jpg

motherfuck

Macam said:
That's a massive simplification. Older generation Cuban immigrants are, but as someone who's done quite a bit of reading on this front, the majority numbers are falling, especially amongst later waves of immigrants (the actual FIU report is also available online). There's widespread support for repealing many of the restrictions the current administration has put in place, namely on family travel and remittances. Obama is in good standing here as his position is to repeal those and use that as a starting point for leverage, which is largely in line with much of the polling among Cubans and Americans -- although Americans tend to have varying opinions on Cuba, depending on how the question is phrased.

Additionally, the NYT had a good in-depth look at things in Florida from back in July.

You from Miami?

lawblob said:
I think this rubric is no longer true. Maybe back a few decades ago when the Democratic party was more liberal this could have been true, but I think generally the system has become sophisticated enough to the point where "corporate America" in a general sense probably doesn't care who wins. Obviously individual companies have preferences, but I think its highly unlikely there is any coordinated effort whatsoever by companies to force their media outlets to sway elections. Obviously there is Fox News, etc., certain outlets which operate on a bias, but in general I don't think it is a valid way to look at the MSM.
Rupert Murdoch has said that President Obama will sell more papers for him. I'd guess print reporters as individuals want Obama to be president and television personalities prefer McCain, purely on a financial level. But both want to report on the story of the campaign, and they've heard the stump speeches a hundred times and the public doesn't care about the minutia of fiscal policies, so any controversy they can cover (or drum up) will do. Everyone loves the Palin pick because she's so unknown. The journalist who uncovers the "smoking gun" is going to have a hell of a byline/report. Palin's first press conference is going to be savage, as all these guys have been kept at bay and nobody is going to want to throw softballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom