• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh...this is how the lead ABCNews.com article is reporting the Bush doctrine exchange:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5778018&page=1

Palin agreed in principle to the "Bush doctrine," the idea that the United States has the right to preemptively strike those another country the U.S. think will attack first.

"Charlie, if there is legitimate and enough intelligence that tells us that a strike is imminent against American people, we have every right to defend our country. In fact, the president has the obligation, the duty to defend".

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
It's not a statement of fact.

It's a request to other members of a congregation to pray that the actions of American troops and leadership are guided by a higher wisdom that she so happens to believe in and that their presumed good intentions also result in good actions being done.

As someone who wants all American troops out of pretty much every other country out there, I certainly don't disagree with pulling out of Iraq ASAP. As someone who is an atheist, I don't pretend to understand the Christian perspective very well. But this Palin quote is horribly misrepresented.

JD,

Wouldn't you agree she would have been better off if she would have asked God to watch over the young men and women that have been put in harms way. And to ask for wisdom and insight for the leader of the nation etc.

I think the best prayer I heard on the war against terrorism was asking God not only to protect "our" Men and Women overseas but to also touch the hearts of them, our leaders and our enemies , fill them with understanding and open the way to peace.

(paraphrased)

And there was not a word about God's greater "plan" in any context.

mj1108

Y2Kev said:
That's how it's properly said.

also his face is hideous.

He looks almost like this:

DB9054-703276.jpg

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
JD,

Wouldn't you agree she would have been better off if she would have asked God to watch over the young men and women that have been put in harms way. And to ask for wisdom and insight for the leader of the nation etc.

I think that's precisely what she meant, though.

This forum on CNN is led by the guy whose article made me so mad as to make one of the few threads I've ever made on GAF: Time's Richard Stengel.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188344

3rdman

This is where the hits should start...Obama and Biden should release an ad and go on a major offensive tomorrow! Frame the discussion before the republicans do and show her shortcomings in that interview. Palin is (for now) the center of the election and if you can credibly discredit her, it's over.

Biden should start signing off his stump speeches with a tip from Bil Maher..."Sarah Baracuda...meet Joey the Shark!"

Zeliard

The Blue Jihad said:
It's the political vampirism.

He's had time to adapt to the "change" blood and it's now flowing a little better.

He's a lot better without a teleprompter, too. Guy comes off as exceptionally insincere whenever he's mindlessly reading things off.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So is this both Candidates or just one? I don't see Obama sitting on stage....

is it like Win Ben Stein's money, where one person is in an isolation booth listening to smooth tunes of the 80s while the other goes?

Frank the Great said:
McCain is a much better candidate now than he was before the RNC.

He's actually far, far worse, but no one really cares. At this point GOP voters think they are voting for Palin, which, given his health and steadily deteriorating faculties (compare and contrast McCain from Feb. to that interview today) ,is probably not that far of a stretch.

Frank the Great said:
Yup. His campaign is pretty brilliant, I must hand it to them.

No ground game, one realistic path to a ridiculously narrow EV victory, muddled message machine, jumping the gun way too early on endgame attack ads. His campaign is, by any measure outside what the post-convention bump polling is saying, terrible.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GhaleonEB said:
This is from the same network that edited out McCain's wrong answers in an interview to cover for him.

Well, they didn't edit this one, so her confusion should get plenty of coverage. EVERYONE saw it.

GhaleonEB

VanMardigan said:
Well, they didn't edit this one, so her confusion should get plenty of coverage. EVERYONE saw it.
Again, most people don't know what the Bush doctrine is. They will simply relate to her and think Gibson was asking an unfairly hard question.

Zeliard said:
He's had time to adapt to the "change" blood and it's now flowing a little better.

He's a lot better without a teleprompter, too. Guy comes off as exceptionally insincere whenever he's mindlessly reading things off.

One of his biggest problems is those large venues. He's way too soft-spoken for large venues, teleprompters, and pre-canned speeches. Thankfully he can handle these nugget-sided bits. Palin, on the other hand...eeeegh.

Zeliard

Fragamemnon said:
He's actually far, far worse, but no one really cares. At this point GOP voters think they are voting for Palin, which, given his health and steadily deteriorating faculties (compare and contrast McCain from Feb. to that interview today) ,is probably not that far of a stretch.

He's far worse than the pre-campaign McCain, but he seems more sure of himself now that he's shamelessly stolen Obama's change message and (mostly) dropped his weak experience angle. I have to give him that, though it's amusing that he had to resort to such a thing. It has short-term value but I don't think it will benefit him in the long run. The guy is the conservative candidate running on a change message. Bit of a contradiction there.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Again, most people don't know what the Bush doctrine is. They will simply relate to her and think Gibson was asking an unfairly hard question.

To be fair, most people don't know where Iraq is, or don't know half of the head politiians. While this won't hurt initially, I think it might help in building the narrative.

AniHawk

I was just surprised at how often he wrote the word "friend."

I'm tempted to send a note with "go fuck yourself" or something equally charming inside the SASE.

laserbeam

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
No ground game, one realistic path to a ridiculously narrow EV victory, muddled message machine, jumping the gun way too early on endgame attack ads. His campaign is, by any measure outside what the post-convention bump polling is saying, terrible.

And with all the ground game etc Obama baring some miracle will sqeak by with a ridiculously narrow EV victory.

It goes both way. The Election no matter which side you support is gonna be close. Considering both sides say Colorado will decide the election that reveals just how close

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GhaleonEB said:

What? Gibson defined it, and there's plenty of material there for both the liberal and centrist media to latch on. Will they? Depends if there is a bigger story coming from the forums going on right now.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:

Exactly. For all we know, friendly web coverage may have been part of the deal. Other networks should pounce hard.

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:
What? Gibson defined it, and there's plenty of material there for both the liberal and centrist media to latch on. Will they? Depends if there is a bigger story coming from the forums going on right now.

There won't be, 9/11 service forum? May as well just call this a celebrity softball game.

alr1ghtstart said:
"She doesn't know much, just like me. That is why I will vote for her."
A large percentage of the populace will think like this. This woman is terrifying.

They just want someone they can have a beer with....

...or just moosehunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom