• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beavertown

Garbage
GhaleonEB said:
Again, most people don't know what the Bush doctrine is. They will simply relate to her and think Gibson was asking an unfairly hard question.

You don't have to know what the Bush Doctrine is to recognize a bullshitter. And I think most people will see that... hoping at least.

Lemonz

Zeliard said:
Indefensible. Gibson actually had to explain to her what the Bush Doctrine is.

GIBSON: Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?

PALIN
: In what respect, Charlie?

GIBSON: The Bush -- well, what do you -- what do you interpret it to be?

PALIN: His world view.

GIBSON: No, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war.

PALIN: I believe that what President Bush has attempted to do is rid this world of Islamic extremism, terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our nation. There have been blunders along the way, though. There have been mistakes made. And with new leadership, and that's the beauty of American elections, of course, and democracy, is with new leadership comes opportunity to do things better.

GIBSON: The Bush doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us. Do you agree with that?

It's embarrassing even in print. On camera, with her visible confusion, it's even worse.
vpfordummies1.png

Tamanon

Banned
Beavertown said:
You don't have to know what the Bush Doctrine is to recognize a bullshitter. And I think most people will see that... hoping at least.

It's a good point, that whole "In what way do you mean, Charlie?" is such a clear bullshit attempt to get some more info.:lol

AniHawk

The good thing is that this bodes well for the debate. If she got stumped on a softball interview with Charlie Gibson, I mean... fuck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We probably should have ROTC people here, but I can't help but think that that'd be a fairly low-recruit recruiting position.

Zeliard

Lucky Forward said:
Uh...this is how the lead ABCNews.com article is reporting the Bush doctrine exchange:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5778018&page=1

Let me fix it for them:

Palin agreed in principle to the "Bush doctrine," the idea that the United States has the right to preemptively strike those another country the U.S. think will attack first, but only did so after interviewer Charles Gibson defined it for her. We laughed, too.

What still irks me is him talking about this singular life experience that reveals to him a new love/bond for/with his country.

I understand the point, and I get the reasoning behind it, but...catastrophe shouldn't unite you with your country; you should be united with your country to begin with.

Pakkidis

EVERY TIME I see an interview with a republican they manage to avoid the question outright. They give this long winded answer that is not even close that only confuse the reporters to the point where they have to move on to the next question.

Palin looked extremely flustered in her interview, I have a feeling if Biden pressured her in the debates we will truly see some interesting things.

140.85 said:
Precisely! And hope should never be confused with conviction.
Hoping G-d's plan involves a dishonest war is not a good thing in my opinion but lets just agree to disagree. There's more important stuff to worry about.

Zeliard

The Blue Jihad said:
What still irks me is him talking about this singular life experience that reveals to him a new love/bond for/with his country.

I understand the point, and I get the reasoning behind it, but...catastrophe shouldn't unite you with your country; you should be united with your country to begin with.

But let's make a huge fuss over Michelle Obama saying that she's now really proud of her country.

Zeliard said:
But let's make a huge fuss over Michelle Obama saying that she's now really proud of her country.

He's white.

And looking at your avatar makes me pine for what Hunter S. woulda had to say about all this.

Rur0ni

Pakkidis said:
EVERY TIME I see an interview with a republican they manage to avoid the question outright. They give this long winded answer that is not even close that only confuse the reporters to the point where they have to move on to the next question.
I hate this as well. Very much.

Gaborn

PhoenixDark said:
I agree 100% on allowing ROTC on campus

How can anyone not? Publicly funded universities shouldn't be able to stop it. Privately funded? Of course! If you're on Uncle Sam's dime then Uncle Sam can set up shop.

Pakkidis - Obama on when life begins?

Clevinger

sevenchaos said:
Hoping G-d's plan involves a dishonest war is not a good thing in my opinion but lets just agree to disagree. There's more important stuff to worry about.

Why do you guy's keep leaving out the 'O' in god?

VanMardigan said:
It doesn't scare me. She's not the most qualified, yeah, but she'll have enough people around her and she'll do what she has to do.

Some people probably thought the same about Bush and look where that got us. I remember back before the 2004 elections a friend of mine said he was voting for Bush over Kerry because at least he would rather vote for "the devil you know than the devil you don't know".

I'd rather people like that not even vote. If you don't know where they stand on the issues and just vote for personality or because a name sounds good on ballot, you're an utter failure to your country.

PhoenixDark said:
I agree 100% on allowing ROTC on campus
You know why they don't allow it right?

They don't allow any employer on campus that has a policy of discrimination. They'll let them back on campus as soon as they let gays serve.

Zeliard

mj1108 said:
Finding new ways to serve.... like a Community Organizer, right?

Nah, he doesn't want to leave it to the private/voluntary sector. Er.

Actually, I'm willing to give McCain a pass on the whole community organizer thing. As I recall, Palin and that monster Guiliani were the main offenders there.

Edit: lol, and he's about to talk about it!

Edit 2: okay, he gets no pass.

Zabka

"If you had agreed to debate on my terms, I wouldn't have to tell people you want to teach babies about sex!"

Sounds kinda like an abusive husband, blaming his wife for him having to set her straight.

Trurl

Banned
McCain: The tone of this election would have been a lot different if Obama had accepted my invitation for town hall meetings. :lol :lol

Haunted

maximum360 said:
I'd rather people like that not even vote. If you don't know where they stand on the issues and just vote for personality or because a name sounds good on ballot, you're an utter failure to your country.
Phonetically speaking, Obama is a more euphonic name than McCain.

Obama victory imminent!

mj1108

Trurl said:
McCain: The tone of this election would have been a lot different if Obama had accepted my invitation for town hall meetings. :lol :lol

Such a lame excuse/cop out.

Price Dalton said:
"Small town mayors have lots of responsibilities... hiring and firing."

You don't say..

Such hard, hard, hard work.....

tanod

when is my burrito
Holy shit.

John McCain just made a potentially big gaffe.

Slightly paraphrased: I respect them [mayors] a lot because you know I'm in Washington and I'm divorced from normal people's day to day lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom