• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
deadbeef said:
If Obama wins the election, I wonder if the Republicans will even wait until he is in office in January to start the investigations. It will be 4 straight years of non-stop investigations.

Damn. I forgot about that.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Stoney Mason said:
To be fair is it a surprise in the least? We all knew she wasn't an especially bright bulb and nothing in her background suggests she has any sort of knowledge about these issues.
you're forgetting the geographical osmosis that Palin gained from Alaska's proximity to the Russian border. much like Bush's 2001 quip about Putin, Patin knows Russia intuitively and on a gut-level, even if she doesn't realize it!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/09/sarah_palin_passes_her_test_wi.html

Sarah Palin passes her test with ABC's Charles Gibson.

By Lynn Sweet on September 11, 2008 7:56 PM

WASHINGTON-- Sarah Palin showed herself as steely and supremely confident--even when she stumbled over a question about the Bush Doctrine --and brushed off whether it mattered that she had never met a foreign head of state in her much anticipated first network interview as John McCain's running mate.

ABC anchor Charles Gibson--who had something to prove as an interviewer after a controversial turn as a debate moderator--at times seemed exasperated at Palin's rehearsed patter in the segments of the interview shown on the evening newscast.

Gibson, in the first of two days with Palin in Alaska pressed and probed in an interview where he was under as much pressure as his subject. In their own way, they both did well. Palin kept calling him "Charlie."

Palin, 44, the Alaska governor, kept herself out of major trouble, and that was her most important goal, first do no harm. She sounded reasonable--that is she is not calling for some kind of holy wars in explaining the statement she made in her church about war and God's plan. "I believe that there is a plan for this world and that plan for this world is for good."

What is Lynn Sweet on? That was as bad as Krista Freeland (sp?), the reporter regular on Morning Joe who shills for McCain like she's paid staff.

Cheebs

Hitokage said:
Without holding a single committee chair? Oh wait, Lieberman.
He wont have that chair after Nov 4th. Regardless if Obama wins or not. He only has it right now to have 51 senate seats. They'll have 55-56 no matter who wins the white house.

Tamanon

Banned
maximum360 said:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/09/sarah_palin_passes_her_test_wi.html

What is Lynn Sweet on? That was as bad as Krista Freeland (sp?), the reporter regular on Morning Joe who shills for McCain like she's paid staff.

That's a weird start to the article, considering what it details.

I mean...

ABC anchor Charles Gibson--who had something to prove as an interviewer after a controversial turn as a debate moderator--at times seemed exasperated at Palin's rehearsed patter in the segments of the interview shown on the evening newscast.

That's a positive for her?

Trakdown

scorcho said:
you're forgetting the geographical osmosis that Palin gained from Alaska's proximity to the Russian border. much like Bush's 2001 quip about Putin, Patin knows Russia intuitively and on a gut-level, even if she doesn't realize it!

It's hilarious that she completely spaces that her state actually borders a foreign country without there being a huge ocean between the two.

Xisiqomelir

Cheebs said:
He wont have that chair after Nov 4th. Regardless if Obama wins or not. He only has it right now to have 51 senate seats. They'll have 55-56 no matter who wins the white house.

Class III is the next class up for re-election in 2010, right? Any chance we can get a supermajority there?

deadbeef

Cheebs said:

So they can't run their little investigations if they don't hold the majority in Congress or something?

/ignorant.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Regardless, if Republicans want to investigate anything they'll have to regain their majority posts. They aren't doing shit for two years at the least.

deadbeef said:
So they can't run their little investigations if they don't hold the majority in Congress or something?

/ignorant.
Uh yeah, unless the Democrats let them.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hitokage said:
Without holding a single committee chair? Oh wait, Lieberman.

unless he is #60 in a supermajority, his ass is so kicked to the curb, and he's out of office in 2012.

His entire political career is banking on a McCain cabinet post.

Tamanon

Banned
WTF at Sportscenter just now? They randomly talked about 9/11 and then said "John McCain and Barack Obama may differ on what caused 9/11"....WHAT?:lol

Cheebs

Xisiqomelir said:
Class III is the next class up for re-election in 2010, right? Any chance we can get a supermajority there?
Waaay too early to predict the political landscape then. No one could have predicted Dems would gain 6 senate seats in 2006 in Sept. of 04 when the republicans were on track to pick up a few senate seats that year (and they did).

Amir0x said:
Palin's got some studying to do to prepare for those debates. The expectations are low, so the extreme-right will always spin whatever performance she has as "good"... but the important thing is the independents. If Biden can be gentle enough while handing down them facts, we could swiftly put this Palin crap to rest as a considerable threat.
I know she's had less than two weeks, but this to me is an example of how rapid studying isn't going to cut it. This isn't a college 101 level course where you have an hour to answer to BS your way through the one essay question, and the professor doesn't really give a shit anyway so long as what you write isn't insanely idiotic and you throw in one or two facts. You have to know this stuff! And it's tough. I know it's shocking to some, but at this level, the leader is expected to know a lot of information. Barring that, you need a really populist message that connects extremely well.

But Bush wasn't the sharpest knive, you say? Or, hey, that Obama guy doesn't have decades of experience under his belt, you counter? The difference, there, is a lengthy primary and debate season. Some might argue that neither deserved what they got, and that may be fair. Nevertheless, though, they were vetted by the electorate. They passed some degree of scrutiny by the media and voters alike for well over a year to get where they are.

This is the danger of pulling people out of nowhere for their initial splash, should she fail to improve her performance. She didn't have to earn the spot on the ticket. She isn't proven. That could be a good thing, but watching this interview shows the potential downside of the move. And if this is any indication, she's not going to make it through this season still being the energizing superstar.

StoOgE

Trakdown said:
I saw that. So much for Olbermann's special comment.

yeah, thats pretty god awfull thing to do. I mean, why would anyone want to remember what that day was like?

I was fucking pounding liquor at 9 in the morning calling everyone that I knew. FUN STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Tamanon said:
WTF at Sportscenter just now? They randomly talked about 9/11 and then said "John McCain and Barack Obama may differ on what caused 9/11"....WHAT?:lol
I guess they're talking about iraq/ Afghanistan? I dunno, was it stewart scott? the man's a poet, he can't be wrong.

deadbeef

PantherLotus said:
Not sure if anybody is watching, but msnbc is rerunning its original 9/11 broadcast. It's gut wrenching.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like at this time, the Pentagon crash hasn't happened.

Panic will set in soon

:(

Tamanon

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I guess they're talking about iraq/ Afghanistan? I dunno, was it stewart scott? the man's a poet, he can't be wrong.

Nah, it's one of the random white guys they have. I don't know any of the weeknight guys' names.

scorcho said:

Unfortunately the bar has been so lowered by Bush that I doubt people who support her even recognize how woefully inept she is. All they care about is she had a baby with downs and didn't abort it. She is the Padawan to Mccain's Yoda when it comes to foreign policy and that is apparently acceptable.

I'm in a bad mood tonight for some reason...

StoOgE

Tamanon said:

well duh, Obama thinks of his muslim brothers as 'freedom fighters'

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Tamanon said:
Nah, it's one of the random white guys they have. I don't know any of the weeknight guys' names.
I haven't watched SC in months. It's football 24/7 now, so I just kind of back of it for the next 8 months.

tanod

when is my burrito
PantherLotus said:
Not sure if anybody is watching, but msnbc is rerunning its original 9/11 broadcast. It's gut wrenching.

I've been watching too. Between watching that and the 9-11-01 Daily Show, I'm having memories flooding back of when I was back in school and saw the second plane hit the World Trade Center live.

Gut wrenching is the only way to describe it.

Crisis

Banned
Sarah Palin interview. :lol :lol

That's a completely non-sexist, non-partisan ":lol :lol " btw. She had an interview with Charlie fucking Gibson. And she had mistakes like that? Come ON.

StoOgE

Trakdown said:
So other than not knowing the greatest foreign policy failure of the last 8 years, she was stellar.

more critically, the biggest shift in US foreign policy since the Marshall plan.

Cheebs

I am so glad Gibson got pulled from the debates this year, his questions in 2004 were horrible. His tax questions were soooo biased towards the rich .

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:

If I were Canadian I'd be miffed about how my country's giant-ass border with Alaska wasn't being spuriously cited as a source of foreign policy experience, but proximity to Russia was. I mean what are they, chopped liver?

Crisis said:
Sarah Palin interview. :lol :lol

That's a completely non-sexist, non-partisan ":lol :lol " btw. She had an interview with Charlie fucking Gibson. And she had mistakes like that? Come ON.
What are the mistakes you guys are bringing up that will be mistakes to the AVERAGE viewer? The glaring one I see is that she appears very very scripted, fake, and like she is forcing poop out of her mouth. That's it though.

Xisiqomelir

Cheebs said:
Isn't that the class from 2004 in which reps made gains so dems have far fewer to hold on to compared to reps?

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/two_column_table/Class_III.htm

Class III - Senators Whose Terms of Service Expire in 2011

Senators in Class III were elected to office in the November 2004 general election. Their terms run from the beginning of the 109th Congress on January 3, 2005 to the end of the 111th Congress in January 2011.

Democrats
Bayh, Evan (D-IN)
Boxer, Barbara (D-CA)
Dodd, Christopher J. (D-CT)
Dorgan, Byron L. (D-ND)
Feingold, Russell D. (D-WI)
Inouye, Daniel K. (D-HI)
Leahy, Patrick J. (D-VT)
Lincoln, Blanche L. (D-AR)
Mikulski, Barbara A. (D-MD)
Murray, Patty (D-WA)
Obama, Barack (D-IL)
Reid, Harry (D-NV)
Salazar, Ken (D-CO)
Schumer, Charles E. (D-NY)
Wyden, Ron (D-OR)

Republicans
Bennett, Robert F. (R-UT)
Bond, Christopher S. (R-MO)
Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Bunning, Jim (R-KY)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Coburn, Tom (R-OK)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
DeMint, Jim (R-SC)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Gregg, Judd (R-NH)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Martinez, Mel (R-FL)
McCain, John (R-AZ)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Shelby, Richard C. (R-AL)
Specter, Arlen (R-PA)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Vitter, David (R-LA)
Voinovich, George V. (R-OH)

tanod

when is my burrito
Tamanon said:
It does seem a weird choice, especially considering how much Keith railed against it. Maybe they just ran out of "Cell Block" episodes.:/

Keith railed against using it for political purposes. I could only watch 10 minutes of it. As an American, watching it makes me feel stronger and weaker but more determined than ever to make sure Obama is President. I don't want my son to ever have to grow up and go through seeing something like that.

Brannon

I'm literally cringing at this Palin interview. I mean, for the love of god, if she can't handle a softball, canned, handpicked interview, how will she act as VP dealing in negotiations with world leaders?

This woman is not qualified! This isn't about parties and sides; this is common sense! She cannot be the Vice President!

GAH!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
I know the cynical view is "bu-bu-but most americans are dumb so they can relate to dumb candidates", and I hope that is just a silly myth because I don't know about you but I want my fucking presidents to not be undistinguished journalism majors who don't know about baseline shit like the Bush Doctrine.

Similar to the whole "I want a president who is like me" bullshit. Motherfucker, this country would be doomed if the president was like me! I don't want nobody like me NEAR the nuclear button, jesus.

People think Obama had no experience, and I don't care about experience - but I do care about intelligence, grasp of the issues, and political capabilities demonstrated over some forum. And Palin is a disaster in every regard.

I completely agree. I hate hearing that people want the president to be someone like them, or they vote for the person who they can relate to best, or would "like to have a beer with". Why would you want your buddy to be the president? This shouldn't be a popularity contest. It should be about electing the most competent and intelligent candidate who will provide the best policies for the most people.

I also do not give a damn about political experience. Leadership doesn't come from political experience and we have had plenty of presidents with lots of experience that have been complete and utter failures to this country.

I just really hope that what is often said about the American people is not true and that people will vote with who they think is the most intelligent and who will lead America in the right direction instead of voting for the person they can relate to most. You shouldn't be looking for a "buddy" in a president, but for someone who can lead this country and actually handle international affairs in an effective manner.

Xisiqomelir said:
http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/two_column_table/Class_III.htm

Class III - Senators Whose Terms of Service Expire in 2011

Senators in Class III were elected to office in the November 2004 general election. Their terms run from the beginning of the 109th Congress on January 3, 2005 to the end of the 111th Congress in January 2011.

Democrats
Bayh, Evan (D-IN)
Boxer, Barbara (D-CA)
Dodd, Christopher J. (D-CT)
Dorgan, Byron L. (D-ND)
Feingold, Russell D. (D-WI)
Inouye, Daniel K. (D-HI)
Leahy, Patrick J. (D-VT)
Lincoln, Blanche L. (D-AR)
Mikulski, Barbara A. (D-MD)
Murray, Patty (D-WA)
Obama, Barack (D-IL)
Reid, Harry (D-NV)
Salazar, Ken (D-CO)
Schumer, Charles E. (D-NY)
Wyden, Ron (D-OR)

Republicans
Bennett, Robert F. (R-UT)
Bond, Christopher S. (R-MO)
Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Bunning, Jim (R-KY)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Coburn, Tom (R-OK)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
DeMint, Jim (R-SC)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Gregg, Judd (R-NH)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Martinez, Mel (R-FL)
McCain, John (R-AZ)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Shelby, Richard C. (R-AL)
Specter, Arlen (R-PA)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Vitter, David (R-LA)
Voinovich, George V. (R-OH)

No possible Democratic pickups in that list. I see about 4-5 Republicans that could possibly be picked off...

Pakkidis

Has America gone completely bat shit insane.

Palin survives her interview which was painfully obvious she was flustered and did not really get into any specifics at all and people are actually thinking she did well while Joe Biden was on Meet the Press a few days ago and rocked it and nobody gives a shit.

Get your priorities straight America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom