• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamanon said:
Also, isn't it a bit odd that she's never met any world leaders, but has already talked to Saashkave-whatsit from Georgia?

Not at all considering their chief foreign policy adviser also moonlights as a lobbyist for Georgia.

Blader

Brannon said:
I'm literally cringing at this Palin interview. I mean, for the love of god, if she can't handle a softball, canned, handpicked interview, how will she act as VP dealing in negotiations with world leaders?

This woman is not qualified! This isn't about parties and sides; this is common sense! She cannot be the Vice President!

GAH!

Question:

Why is lack of experience a fault for Palin but a non-issue for Obama?

Trakdown

Mandark said:
If I were Canadian I'd be miffed about how my country's giant-ass border with Alaska wasn't being spuriously cited as a source of foreign policy experience, but proximity to Russia was. I mean what are they, chopped liver?

Something tells me Canada's satisfied with being left out of her rhetoric.

Xisiqomelir

Incognito said:
No possible Democratic pickups in that list. I see about 4-5 Republicans that could possibly be picked off...

Hitokage said:
Many of those seats seem fairly safe.

Yeah, the Dem names are mostly ones I know (Bams, Reid, Boxer, Bayh, Dodd, Feingold, Inouye, Salazar, Schumer) but aside from JSA, Brownback and Murkowski I have nfc who the Repubs are. Anyone in those states want to tell us the prospects?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started watching the Palin interview and my dislike for this canditate grows every second. How can people approve of her after watching something like this? Do we want someone who "won't blink" or stop to think about her actions? You can't hesitate when trying to reform the country or "achieve victory" (whatever that means) in the war? Didn't America see where we got with the last president who trusted his 'gut feeling' over logic and rational thought?

Tamanon

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Question:

Actually on this whole thing, everybody is talking about knowledge. She clearly has almost no knowledge of anything going on outside the borders.

Xis: I can tell you that Mel Martinez from Florida is still pretty safe, he's a pretty moderate Republican.

Blader5489 said:
Question:

Because experience isn't just a resume listing. It's not even really about experience. It's being versed and knowledgeable about the issues at hand. She demonstrates very little of it and her experience hasn't helped bring her any knowledge on the subject because her experience isn't relevant to foreign policy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blader5489 said:
Question:

He didn't say she lacked experience. He said she wasn't qualified. As in she is not competent for the position of #2 of the United States of America. Do you really think she would make a good leader of this country? Really?

Blader5489 said:
Question:

Magnitude. Obama has about 10 years real experience on her.

It's still a concern with Obama, but not in the same ballpark.

Burr and Martinez are literally polling in the twenties in their states, if I recall. Bunning, should he not retire, will be a very weak incumbent. Same for Voinovich. Those are obvious top-teir Democratic targets.

Second tier is largely dependent on retirements and political climate. The GOP will undoubtedly go after Salazar, but they don't have too many good options past that, barring any open seat situations in swing states and/or a huge shift in the political climate.

Blader

Zefah said:
He didn't say she lacked experience. He said she wasn't qualified. As in she is not competent for the position of #2 of the United States of America. Do you really think she would make a good leader of this country? Really?

No, I'm just making a point.

Kind of.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tamanon said:
Also, isn't it a bit odd that she's never met any world leaders, but has already talked to Saashkave-whatsit from Georgia?

Amazing who you can talk to with the lobbyist hotline nearby.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Blader5489 said:
Question:

Experience doesn't mean shit at this point, it's about the smarts

McCain was in the Sendate for over 20 years and got the Iraq war call wrong.

Crisis

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
What are the mistakes you guys are bringing up that will be mistakes to the AVERAGE viewer? The glaring one I see is that she appears very very scripted, fake, and like she is forcing poop out of her mouth. That's it though.

The entire interview was awful on her part. She clearly had no idea whatsoever what she was talking about. The thing about Russia/Georgia just highlighted it.

Xisiqomelir

Tamanon said:
Xis: I can tell you that Mel Martinez from Florida is still pretty safe, he's a pretty moderate Republican.

I live in AZ and they <3 the fuck out of McCain here, so he'll probably be safe too after he loses the General. So that's 2 down

Republicans
Bennett, Robert F. (R-UT)
Bond, Christopher S. (R-MO)
Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Bunning, Jim (R-KY)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Coburn, Tom (R-OK)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
DeMint, Jim (R-SC)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Gregg, Judd (R-NH)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Martinez, Mel (R-FL)
McCain, John (R-AZ)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Shelby, Richard C. (R-AL)
Specter, Arlen (R-PA)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Vitter, David (R-LA)
Voinovich, George V. (R-OH)

Where are the pickups, Incog?

Tamanon said:

Dude has some of the worst approval ratings in the country. Last week a PPP poll pegged him at 23% approval in the state. He's a Bush crony and no one likes him.

Trakdown

Blader5489 said:
Question:

Obama has experience at the federal level. Palin does not. Also, the "lack of experience" thing would work on McCain in the sense most people use this argument, as he also has never been president.

Also, as this interview shows, the "knowing what you're talking about" gap is huge in Obama's favor.

Blader5489 said:
Question:

Good question!

There is, in actuality, a clear distinction. Obama has been extensively vetted by the media, and the electorate for over a year now. Maybe for you, as a voter, you'll vote against him because he doesn't have enough experience for your tastes, and that's fair. However, to argue that he doesn't deserve his spot on the top of the ticket is grossly unfair. It's not like Howard Dean just picked him over Hillary because he liked his moxie. He had to win a bitter primary fight against the biggest name in Democratic politics.

Now, enter Sarah Palin. She's got a shot to prove herself, but despite GOP members defending her, nobody of any significance was throwing her name around before the announcement as a realistic pick. Few knew who she was. Her resume is far from impressive, and unlike Obama, she hasn't had to prove herself. She was rolled out as a breath of fresh air, and defined on the GOP's terms. That alone will not be a sufficient claim for deserving to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

Vitter the Shitter will also be vulnerable, but the effective purging of Democratic voters in the state thanks to Katrina will make it a hard seat to take. Expect him to get primaried, though.

Tamanon

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Dude has some of the worst approval ratings in the country. Last week a PPP poll pegged him at 23% approval in the state. He's a Bush crony and no one likes him.

I dunno, maybe something's changed recently, but he's had that on lockdown for a while now. Maybe people finally turned on him.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Blader5489 said:
Question:

it's not experience, but knowledge. any knowledge really.

she could be the female version of Krauthammer (god forbid) and at the least i wouldn't question her grasp on the issues, just her ideology. let her give a long-form interview like the one that Obama gave to the NYT a few months back and compare.

hahahahah, this extended interview is funny as hell. Like someone said earlier, she should be paying some of us royalties for using our bs(we did not prepare at all) college presentation skills. She doesn't know a damn thing.

"his world view. -smile-"

hahahahah

Xisiqomelir

Fragamemnon said:
Vitter the Shitter will also be vulnerable, but the effective purging of Democratic voters in the state thanks to Katrina will make it a hard seat to take. Expect him to get primaried, though.

Sweet

Republicans
Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Bunning, Jim (R-KY)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Coburn, Tom (R-OK)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
DeMint, Jim (R-SC)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Gregg, Judd (R-NH)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Martinez, Mel (R-FL)
McCain, John (R-AZ)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Specter, Arlen (R-PA)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Vitter, David (R-LA)

tak

Zefah said:
I just started watching the Palin interview and my dislike for this canditate grows every second. How can people approve of her after watching something like this? Do we want someone who "won't blink" or stop to think about her actions? You can't hesitate when trying to reform the country or "achieve victory" (whatever that means) in the war? Didn't America see where we got with the last president who trusted his 'gut feeling' over logic and rational thought?
That response she gave reminded me a lot of talking points Bush uses.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Pakkidis said:
Has America gone completely bat shit insane.

Palin survives her interview which was painfully obvious she was flustered and did not really get into any specifics at all and people are actually thinking she did well while Joe Biden was on Meet the Press a few days ago and rocked it and nobody gives a shit.

Get your priorities straight America.

THIS!

People talk about "the bar" being lower for Palin. Guess what? THE BAR IS EXACTLY THE SAME. ITS ONE FUCKING HEARTBEAT FROM THE LEASDER OF THE FREE WORLD.

Just saying "the bar is lower" is admiting your candidate isnt up to snuff. The bar is lower for me as an NFL QB tham Tom Brady. Guess who you want as your QB? According to spinnsters the fact that I 'barely shit myself' would make me the winner because expectations were full on defacation.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
it's not experience, but knowledge. any knowledge really.

she could be the female version of Krauthammer (god forbid) and at the least i wouldn't question her grasp on the issues, just her ideology. let her give a long-form interview like the one that Obama gave to the NYT a few months back and compare.
I would also argue that not all experience is created equal.

tanod

when is my burrito
Blader5489 said:
Question:

Barack Obama has 12 years of elected legislative experience, including 4 on the national stage and can speak about any issue without having a teleprompter in his face.

He has bi-partisanly written and passed major national congressional ethics reform and nuclear deproliferation laws.

Obama has proven over the course of his 19-month campaign that he has a solid grasp on every single challenge America is facing and has competent/vetted proposals to address them.

Obama is cool under pressure and has been right on every major national security decision since 2002.

On top of that, his campaign is based around the issues and not petty bullshit attacks and outright lies. He does not and has never taken ANY money from federal registered lobbyists and is the first presidential candidate to do so.

Obama, the Democratic candidate, has more competence in his pinky fingernail than John McCain or Sarah Palin have in their entire body. Something that John McCain lacks despite his 36 years in Congress addressed nothing of what he supposedly wants to do as President.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'm watching the interview right now and ....
GIBSON: But this is not just reforming a government. This is also running a government on the huge international stage in a very dangerous world. When I asked John McCain about your national security credentials, he cited the fact that you have commanded the Alaskan National Guard and that Alaska is close to Russia. Are those sufficient credentials?

PALIN: But it is about reform of government and it's about putting government back on the side of the people, and that has much to do with foreign policy and national security issues Let me speak specifically about a credential that I do bring to this table, Charlie, and that's with the energy independence that I've been working on for these years as the governor of this state that produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy, that I worked on as chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, overseeing the oil and gas development in our state to produce more for the United States.

GIBSON: I know. I'm just saying that national security is a whole lot more than energy.

When I asked John McCain about your national security credentials, he cited the fact that you have commanded the Alaskan National Guard and that Alaska is close to Russia. Are those sufficient credentials?

Are those sufficient credentials?
No seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. She didn't acknowledge his question at all. It's like she heard the first sentence and turned her brain off til he stopped talking. WHAT THE FUCK.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! She said she wouldn't "second guess" Israel if they decided to pre-emptively strike Iran, because they are our friend. I guess it wasn't okay for Russia to do the same thing to Georgia, because they aren't our friend? What is this shit?

Xisiqomelir said:
I live in AZ and they <3 the fuck out of McCain here, so he'll probably be safe too after he loses the General. So that's 2 down

Republicans
Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Bunning, Jim (R-KY)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Coburn, Tom (R-OK)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
DeMint, Jim (R-SC)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Gregg, Judd (R-NH)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Martinez, Mel (R-FL)
McCain, John (R-AZ)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Specter, Arlen (R-PA)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Vitter, David (R-LA)

Where are the pickups, Incog?

Specter, if he's not, to use a Frag term, primaried.

Gregg in NH. Voinovich should start packing his bags, now. Martinez was already mentioned. And Vitter....hopefully.

Tamanon

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I'm watching the interview right now and ....

No seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. She didn't acknowledge his question at all. It's like she heard the first sentence and turned her brain off til he stopped talking. WHAT THE FUCK.

OK, that bit is hilarious.

"So, what are your credentials on foreign policy?"
"I want to change Washington!"
"And foreign policy?"
"Change Washington!"

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Pakkidis said:
Has America gone completely bat shit insane.

Palin survives her interview which was painfully obvious she was flustered and did not really get into any specifics at all and people are actually thinking she did well while Joe Biden was on Meet the Press a few days ago and rocked it and nobody gives a shit.

Get your priorities straight America.
Apparently shouting about how great America is is more important than the ability to lead a nation.

Trakdown

Zefah said:
Wow! She said she wouldn't "second guess" Israel if they decided to pre-emptively strike Iran, because they are our friend. I guess it wasn't okay for Russia to do the same thing to Georgia, because they aren't our friend? What is this shit?

In her defense, if McCain gets elected we might be in war with them anyways.

Blader5489 said:
Question:

You mean experience like the Foreign Relations committee?

Experience isn't even the question so much as knowledge; Palin doesn't have either.

From the NYTimes..

“We’re sensitive to the fluid dynamics of the campaign, but we have a game plan and a strategy,” said Mr. Obama’s campaign manager, David Plouffe. “We’re familiar with this. And I’m sure between now and Nov. 4 there will be another period of hand-wringing and bed-wetting. It comes with the territory.”

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Tamanon said:
OK, that bit is hilarious.

"So, what are your credentials on foreign policy?"
"I want to change Washington!"
"And foreign policy?"
"Change Washington!"
"energy is a foundation of national security."

First i heard of it.:lol

Xisiqomelir

Incognito said:
Specter, if he's not, to use a Frag term, primaried.

Gregg in NH. Voinovich should start packing his bags, now. Martinez was already mentioned. And Vitter....hopefully.

Moving Martinez to italics since Tamanon thinks he's got a chance.

Republicans
Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Bunning, Jim (R-KY)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Coburn, Tom (R-OK)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
DeMint, Jim (R-SC)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Gregg, Judd (R-NH)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Martinez, Mel (R-FL)
McCain, John (R-AZ)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Specter, Arlen (R-PA)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Vitter, David (R-LA)

3 plus one possible is awesome! I guess the Dems better shoot for 56 this year.

I'm not sure she'd run for it, but Brownback's seat is open in 2010 (he's retiring) and Katherine Sebelius would probably put down Mark Warner style numbers in Kansas if she ran for the Senate (keep in mind she was elected Governor there in 2002, so it's a "clean break", if you will).

deadbeef

Incognito said:
From the NYTimes..

“We’re sensitive to the fluid dynamics of the campaign, but we have a game plan and a strategy,” said Mr. Obama’s campaign manager, David Plouffe. “We’re familiar with this. And I’m sure between now and Nov. 4 there will be another period of hand-wringing and bed-wetting. It comes with the territory.”

Heh-heh

AniHawk

Blader5489 said:
Question:

Because he was chosen by the people to be a nominee while she was put on the ticket.

Other than that:

Palin's experience:
20 y/o: Beauty pageant participant
18/19 yo - 23 y/o: attended six colleges in about as many years
24 y/o: sports reporter in Anchorage (1988)
Killed a moose.
Sometime afterwards, she joined the PTA and then her city council (served from ages 28-32)
32-38 y/o: Mayor of Wasilla
a little bit of nothing here. Runs for Lt. Gov. and fails. One of the three directors of the Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc
2006-present, Governor of Alaska

Obama's experience:
18-20 y/o: studied at Occidental College
20-22 y/o: graduated from Columbia University
23 y/o: worked at Business International Corporation and New York Public Interest Research Group
23 y/o - 26 y/o: Community organizer
27 y/o: Went to Harvard and was selected for the Harvard Law Review
28 y/o: Became President of the Harvard Law Review
Graduated from Harvard in 1991 at the age of 29 with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude
30-31 y/o: directed Illinois Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers that achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state,
31-43 y/o: taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School
Became a terrorist
36-43 y/o: Illinois State Senator
2005-present: United States Senator

Cloudy

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Question:

First of all, Obama is a fucking US Senator on the Foreign Relations Committee. And a State senator before that. Don't let the GOP brainwash you with this community organizer bullshit to trivialize his achievements.

Secondly, he was a college professor teaching constitutional law. He knows what the hell he's talking about unlike most politicians. Oh and he has also a firm grasp of world issues. Frankly, it's insulting to compare him or Joe Biden to this woman who had to go to SIX colleges before finally getting a JOURNALISM degree. She would NEVER be a governor anywhere else but in Alaska! That is FACT..

This country is being laughed at around the world as the Palin interview gets played. Pathetic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom