• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
jesus fuckign christ my brain is hurting watching her talk about russia

"What insight into russia action, particularly in the past couple weeks, do you think your state's proximity to Russia has given you?"

"they're out next door neighbors! and you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska."

no seriously. am I watching Saturday night live? this is horrifying. fucking sickening. I can't believe a grown woman can't recognize how childish that statement sounds. I probably couldn't get an 11 year old to say something like that to me ("I live in Michigan, so I know a lot about Canada. I can see Canadaa, from land, here in Michigan!"). I'm just astonished at how incompetent this woman is.

Look on the bright side. This man

0345_60putin.jpg

will eat her alive.

AniHawk

I guess being a governor of Alaska is sorta like being a poster on PoliGAF except you don't have to know shit about the world around you.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here here let me try this, I typed a random state+the word "governor" on Google, to show that you can come up with "experience" on par with Palin's (usually surpassing her actually) for practically any average American politician.

Here is our future president!:

Clement Leroy "Butch" Otter , Idaho Governor, could be president!

1- Otter was born into a large family of limited means.
2- His father was a journeyman electrician and the family lived in many rural locations in the midwest & western U.S. during his youth.
3- He was the only member of his family to graduate from college, and made the dean’s list in his last term.
4- He served the Idaho Army National Guard's 116th Armored Cavalry from 1968-73. He received specialized training at Fort Knox. (Commander in chief material!!)
5- Otter's business experience includes 30 years with Simplot International, a leading agribusiness corporation. He started at a low level position and eventually rose to the company's presidency. (wowowow! Probably good with the economy!)
6- In 1991, when the Idaho Senate was evenly divided between 21 Republicans and 21 Democrats, Otter's tie-breaking votes kept the body under Republican control.
7- He is the longest-serving lieutenant governor in Idaho history.
8- Voted against the Patriot Act along with Ron Paul and Bob Ney! Otter was also very critical of the Bush Administration's domestic spying efforts, but later altered his views on the subject: "much of the USA PATRIOT Act is needed to help protect us in a dangerous age of stateless zealots and mindless violence." He's like a real candidate!
10- He wants to eradicate wolves from his state. How's that Palin! This guy ERADICATES species!

Rated 17% by the NEA, indicating anti-public education votes. (Dec 2003)
Rated 11% by APHA, indicating an anti-public health voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 10% by the ARA, indicating an anti-senior voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 5% by the LCV, indicating anti-environmentalist votes. (Dec 2003)
Rated 33% by SANE, indicating a mixed record on military issues. (Dec 2003)
Rated 20% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-ACLU voting record. (Dec 2002)
Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 67% by CATO, indicating a pro-free trade voting record. (Dec 2002)
Rated 71% by NTU, indicating "Satisfactory" on tax votes. (Dec 2003)
Rated 0% by the AFL-CIO, indicating an anti-labor union voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 100% by FAIR, indicating a voting record restricting immigration. (Dec 2003)
Rated 97% by the US COC, indicating a pro-business voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 92% by the Christian Coalition, indicating a pro-life, anti-gay marriage voting record. (Dec 2003)

WE HAVE OUR MAN!

Xisiqomelir

Y2Kev said:
How do I read this?

edit: Intrade really thinks McCain has a better shot?

570 shares of Obama which I bought WAY too high at a spread from 51.5-52.5 on Tuesday before Lipstick-gate.

Maximum downrisk of -$2,996.87

Maximum upside of +$2,703.13

And yeah, McCain is higher than Obama on Intrade atm, but Obama was about 20 points higher pre-RNC, and I'm pretty sure we're going back to that fast as Palin disintegrates all over the place.

AniHawk said:
I guess being a governor of Alaska is sorta like being a poster on PoliGAF except you don't have to know shit about the world around you.
What does it say that I'll expect 95% of the posters in a niche thread on an OT forum for videogames, left or right, are 10x more informed then the VP nominee for the Republican party? Seriously...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tamanon said:
At the end of the day, it's Gibson, she couldn't look competent with GIBSON, what's the next step....Couric? Walters? It's absolutely silly. The answers didn't even show a sign of critical thought, just empty nonsense or talking points.

She mentioned multiple times that we must not blink or hesitate in our decisions. She can't stop to think or the terrorists will win.

Dolphin

Banned
AniHawk said:
I guess this begs the question: how long before Palin would have been banned on this forum for being a moron?

So I just sent this e-mail to my family in response to some crazy shit they sent me:

---

Lesa, you wanted me to watch this video. Here are my thoughts:

This is a guy that's basically saying he is offended when the Democratic Nominee for President and U.S. Senator Barack Obama says the Iraq War was a mistake. This guy lost friends, he lost a leg, and he lost a lot of valuable time he could have spent in this great country instead of in a foreign desert that is infected with people trying to kill him.

Obama says the war is a mistake because this country needlessly tossed away a ton of resources, including human life (and their extremities), and continues to do so. I say "needlessly" because the reason we went into Iraq was because Saddam Hussein was said to have WMD's (weapons of mass destruction) that he was planning to use against the United States of America. We never found WMD's in Iraq, and believe me - we've looked everywhere. As of September 11th, 2008, we've lost 4,155 American soldiers in the Iraq War. For comparison, we lost 2,999 Americans in the September 11 attacks. Also, we never did sufficiently hunt down the man chiefly responsible for the 9/11 attacks, Osama bin Laden, and now our resources are stretched too thin to have a significant military presence on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border (where bin Laden is probably still hiding).

The guy in the video is also saying the Iraqi people are better off than they were in 2002. I assume he means they're safer from terrorists. There was no Al Qaeda in Iraq before we invaded. Al Qaeda didn't show up to the party until 2005 (we invaded in March '03), and besides - when did America decide to be the "World Police?" We aren't at that point yet on this planet. A country would have to possess unimaginable resources to have the ability to police the world. Even if we did police the planet, one has to realize that there are people suffering in far more areas of the world than Iraq alone.

The veteran in the video also says Obama doesn't understand or support the principles of freedom. He pretty much pulled that one out of his ass.

Stuff like this shouldn't affect anyone's vote. No one should be using this video to make a point about who is the better candidate for the job. It's someone's opinion. It's a diary entry. There are no facts, and voting should be about the facts. There is obviously going to be a lot of spin and rhetoric in a presidential election. This specific election is one of the most important decisions the American people will ever make.

So what are the issues? What kinds of facts should we look at? The 2008 presidential election is primarily about money. Our economy sucks, and we're $9.7 trillion in debt and wasting more and more money on the failed policies from the lowest-rated administration in American history. The Iraq War alone is costing U.S. taxpayers $1.9 trillion. Who is going to be the best choice for our economy? Check out the attached political cartoon about "fiscal conservatism," I think it makes a good point.
FiscalConservatism.jpg

Also, look at the attached chart about presidential spending, going back to the early 1960's. Which presidents saved more than they spent? The Democrats.
RevenuevsSpendingbyPresident.gif

One common misconception about Barack Obama (and Democrats in general) is that they're going to raise your taxes. An Obama administration will actually cut taxes for 95% of Americans. The only people seeing a tax increase will be individuals making over $250,000 annually. Basically, that's where middle-class becomes upper-class. Take a look at the attached chart about the candidates' tax plans for an easy-to-read comparison.
ObamavsMcCainTaxPlan.gif

And how experienced is Obama? Is he "ready to lead?" Take a look at the attached chart concerning Obama's record in the Illinois Senate. It details a handful of more than 800 bills that Obama sponsored. This was all before he became a U.S. Senator (D-IL.) in 2004.
ObamaLegislation.gif

John McCain probably would have made a good president if he were elected in 2000. But by now, in 2008, he's adopted over 90% of President Bush's failed policies. He's also 72 years-old, which would make him the oldest elected president in history. There is a 1/3 chance he will not survive his first term. If McCain gets critically ill while in the presidency, his vice president will have to step in - and he's chosen one of the most inexperienced (on the national scale) and most hateful vice presidential candidates ever.

On the other hand, Obama chose Joe Biden to be his running-mate. I probably don't have to talk about Biden's record. He is Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, and has served as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He also led the creation of the Violence Against Women Act, which has been heralded as "the greatest breakthrough in civil rights for women in nearly two decades" by the National Organization for Women. Biden is currently in his sixth consecutive term as a U.S. Senator (D-DE) and is up for re-election this year. What do their vice presidential running-mate choices say about the candidates?

Please think through the facts before you go into the voting booth on November 4th. Please take a look at all sides and consider who will lead our country in the best direction. Please consider we need a change from the last 8 years of George W. Bush.

Although I wrote this myself and it's not some chain e-mail, feel free to pass this on to other undecided (or misguided) friends, relatives, and co-workers. Still not convinced? I dare you to fact-check everything I just said!

For more on John McCain: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtZlR3zp4c

---

Okay, GAF. Let me know if I made any factual errors! I doubt it, though. Also thanks everyone for the handy charts! :lol

Dolphin

Banned
Mahadev said:
:lol She is completely stupid. 100% pure stupid. Biden is going to humiliate her in those debates.
:lol :lol :lol The debates!!!

Wow, the Vice Presidential debates are going to be more interesting than the Presidential debates.

AniHawk said:
:lol too true!

She would have gotten banned for posting some blatantly untrue information.

Did the Sarah Palin interview remind anyone else, of this?

I was at Columbia (on the quad) watching the interview. Obama really crushed McCain on it, going through a littany of specifics, making good points, and generally just being awesome. It started a little slow, but the back half was great.

Ironically, McCain made a joke about going to sleep, considering how boring his time was. Every answer was the same "Service good, government bad, so I'll do less, but it will get you more, but I really like Peace Corp and Teach for America." After his stock response he'd go on for a while on a tangent no one gave a fuck about.

Obama made reference multiple times to trying to "Inspire people to service." At first it kind of sounded empty, like he was just talking about those vague promises he dropped early in the campaign. On the train home I realized something, it was a legitimate promise. Look at the campaign, look at how it has inspired volunteers around the country. And that's for an explicitly political process. This is a man who can actually inspire other people to independent action toward a greater good. He actually sounded like a leader, something that is so unfamiliar after 8 years of bush, and 2 campaigns worth of the "who to have a beer with test." Obama is someone I can respect, who's words carry weight. I don't care if he'd be cool to have a beer with (probably would, though I fault his taste in lagers), but he makes me want to make the world a better place.

It's a really powerful realization, this is a special kind of candidate.

Okay, apologies for the dreamy eyes, back to the making fun of Palin.

AniHawk said:

hahaha. Btw thanks for owning mr. "why don't they bring up obama's lack of experience" a few pages back. Good show.

laserbeam

Banned
Fair and balanced time:

Lots of shit was given bush when he commented to a blind reporter about his glasses being worn not realizing he was blind so here is

Biden gaffe 2008:

Earlier in the week, in Columbia, Missouri, Biden urged a paraplegic state official to stand up to be recognized.

"Chuck, stand up, let the people see you," Biden shouted to State Senator Chuck Graham, before realizing, to his horror, that Graham uses a wheelchair. "Oh, God love ya," Biden said. "What am I talking about?"

In Fort Myers, Florida, last week, he referred to the "Biden administration," before quickly correcting himself to say the "Obama-Biden administration."

Countdown March 16th 2006

Keith Olbermann, in opening teaser: "Which of these stories will you be talking about tomorrow? Preventive war, preemptive war: The Bush Doctrine of September 2002. 'We can start it in order to keep somebody else from starting it,' restated today as the official policy of this country. [shows aftermath of bombing in Iraq] Well, after all, it has worked so well in Iraq."

Olbermann: "Punctuating the policy: The biggest air assault in Iraq since mid-April 2003, and the President knew about it in advance, right?"

David Gregory, NBC News: "He was told after the decision had been made to do it? Or did he have to say, 'Yes, let's do this'?"

Scott McClellan, White House Press Secretary: "No, this was not something that he needed to authorize."

Olbermann soon opened the show: "Good evening. The simplest test of sanity, the initial screen for misperceived existence, the 'follow-my-finger' of psychology: Does the individual continue to take action A and continue to get result B, while insisting that next time he will get result Z? Our fifth story on the Countdown, the Bush Doctrine. Preemptive war or, if you prefer, preventive war, is back and better than ever tonight. While U.S. forces in Iraq launch a major new air assault, the forces that got us into Iraq have declared anew that they're still expecting to get result Z. Early today, the Bush White House unveiling its justification for preemptive attacks, a 49-page document titled, 'The National Security Strategy of the United States of America.' This edition looking remarkably like its September 2002 predecessor. The administration once again making no apologies for its aggressive strategy of attacking the enemy before the enemy attacks the U.S. Quoting it: 'When the consequences of an attack with WMD are potentially so devastating, we cannot afford to stand idly by as grave dangers materialize. This is the principle and logic of preemption.' Actually finding WMD, result Z, is apparently beside the point."

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
laserbeam said:
Fair and balanced time:

Lots of shit was given bush when he commented to a blind reporter about his glasses being worn not realizing he was blind so here is

Biden gaffe 2008:

Earlier in the week, in Columbia, Missouri, Biden urged a paraplegic state official to stand up to be recognized.

"Chuck, stand up, let the people see you," Biden shouted to State Senator Chuck Graham, before realizing, to his horror, that Graham uses a wheelchair. "Oh, God love ya," Biden said. "What am I talking about?"
this is a huge story. huge.

laserbeam said:
Fair and balanced time:

Biden gaffe 2008:

In all fairness, I never ragged Bush for that. Honest mistake.

giga

laserbeam said:
Fair and balanced time:

Biden gaffe 2008:

Yeah, that's a real issue for this election.

deadbeef

laserbeam said:
Fair and balanced time:

Biden gaffe 2008:

In Fort Myers, Florida, last week, he referred to the "Biden administration," before quickly correcting himself to say the "Obama-Biden administration."

He also said Hillary would have been a better V.P. pick than himself

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/biden-hillary-a.html

lol, oh Joe...

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I doubt it. She can see his country from her state. What else is there to it?

Um. That...she couldn't stare him down? Those eyes will pierce into her soul?

Ah fuck it. I got nothin. Palin's an immovable object and unstoppable force all rolled up into one.

laserbeam said:
Fair and balanced time:

Biden gaffe 2008:

You've already tried (and failed) to get discussion going about this.. why try again?

Though Rush Limbaugh had a funny audio version of it where he added a drum rift after every Biden phrase

"stand up chuck"
-drum riff-
"oh... god love him, what am I saying"
-drum riff-
"you're making eeryone else stand up, chuck"
-drum riff-
"come on, everyone stand up for chuck"
-drum riff-

funny as hell

laserbeam

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
You've already tried (and failed) to get discussion going about this.. why try again?

Though Rush Limbaugh had a funny audio version of it where he added a drum rift after every Biden phrase

"stand up chuck"
-drum riff-
"oh... god love him, what am I saying"
-drum riff-
"you're making eeryone else stand up, chuck"
-drum riff-
"come on, everyone stand up for chuck"
-drum riff-

funny as hell
I tried to get a discussion on this before? thats funny ive never posted about this topic before considering it just happened this week.

Mifune

Mehmber
laserbeam said:
was a huge story for douchebag gaf when Bush made the comment to the blind guy. fair and balanced is all.

The only difference is Bush was ragging on the guy's glasses. So not only did he make a mistake, but he was being a dick before he knew he made a mistake.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The Blue Jihad said:
Um. That...she couldn't stare him down? Those eyes will pierce into her soul?

Ah fuck it. I got nothin. Palin's an immovable object and unstoppable force all rolled up into one.
That pit bull ain't got no lipstick on it though. I like to see Putin try to take the ring off Palin's paw!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You know, I wouldn't mind having either Obama or McCain as president, but holy freaking crap do I hate the thought of Biden or Palin as president.

Ugh. Just...gah.

Mahadev

laserbeam said:
was a huge story for douchebag gaf when Bush made the comment to the blind guy. fair and balanced is all.

Because that was Bush's #348 gaffe for that year. The man is a clown and people are supposed to laugh at him. Btw how ironic you use the fair and balanced phrase considering the "news" you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom