• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

thefro said:
Wow! @ the parallels with the Jack Ryan (original Republican nominee in Illinois in 2004 before Keyes) saga.

It was a divorce file that sunk Ryan. If the Enquirer gets this it's game ovah.

Awesome :lol

speculawyer said:
But I don't understand Bush's 30% ratings though? How can people view him so negatively yet want more of the same? I still can't figure it out. Is there some massive difference between Bush & McCain that I'm not seeing?

I think I can answer this question. If you aren't 100% focused, it's very easy to get sucked into the "fight corruption and big government" rhetoric. It's easy to define defense as a necessary evil, and social programs as a money pit to keep more people addicted to the government without actually helping anyone.

Yes we're feeling the pain of a huge government therefore it's easy to disapprove of Bush, and we're even starting to realize that the war is a big part of the problem. However, it doesn't take much reassurance that the next guy will cut down on spending for us to give him a chance.

JCreasy

CharlieDigital said:
I posted this before, but I'll repost from zompist:

So no, I don't think they will care as much as we think they will.

Wait though. Still thanks for the info . . .

What's important to remember is that maybe we don't really care about Palin losing her support from the far right. Actually, it would take something nuclear to tear that apart.

But if one story gets out that overshadows the entire McCain campaign, believe me, they have a problem. She will become their Eagleton . . .

reilo said:
Obama to be on Olbermann tonight. Guess he wants to wash off the stink from O'Reilly.

I actually liked the O'Reilly interview (part 1) a lot. Yeah, O'Reilly is an asshole, and a blowhard, and a hypocrite.

BUT, I think he asked sincere questions on behalf of a certain portion of the electorate - and he asked Obama those questions in ways meant to keep him off his standard boilerplate talking points. Obama does really well in those kinds of settings, where he doesn't just answer the question but describes the whole picture - Obama had a strong presence, was engaged, and answered the questions with the right level of detail.

All in all I'd say they both did a good job. Guess I don't get upset when candidates aren't given the proper "respect".

Wolffen

theBishop said:
The "Votemaster" at Electoral-vote is Andrew Tanenbaum. He's a computer science legend for developing the Minix kernel, micro-kernel flamewars with Linus Torvalds, and writing some of the best textbooks around in the topics of operating systems and networking.

I'm a bit wary about Electoral-Vote.com. I was a devout follower of Tanenbaum's site in the '04 election. He predicted Kerry would win on Election Day, and needless to say, that didn't happen. He had a write-up posted a few days later as to why (he was just as stunned at Kerry's defeat, if I recall correctly) his projections missed, but I don't see a link to that off hand on the site now. The sting of the 2nd Bush victory could be clouding my memory a bit, though.

NullPointer said:
I actually liked the O'Reilly interview (part 1) a lot. Yeah, O'Reilly is an asshole, and a blowhard, and a hypocrite.

BUT, I think he asked sincere questions on behalf of a certain portion of the electorate - and he asked Obama those questions in ways meant to keep him off his standard boilerplate talking points. Obama does really well in those kinds of settings, where he doesn't just answer the question but describes the whole picture - Obama had a strong presence, was engaged, and answered the questions with the right level of detail.

All in all I'd say they both did a good job. Guess I don't get upset when candidates aren't given the proper "respect".
O'Rly did great except for the parts where he keeps cutting of Obama and sneering etc.

..and I agree, Obama is his most effective when he gets off of his talking points. The problem is that there are so many people out there who aren't used to that, and it ends up being tuned out by the masses because they want short, simple answers (see: Saddleback or Idiocracy)

NullPointer said:

Just a personal opinion but I'm never overly a fan when Democrats go on those types of shows. It's like some phony hurdle only Democrats have to pass by showing how tough they are by going into the den of the enemy. I don't have an issue with tough questions but rather how tame someone like O'Reilly is with a Mccain or a George Bush because they already agree on most things except when O'Reilly's nationalism agenda conflicts with the Republican agenda. I understand why Democrats do it, I just never think its that helpful. Mccain would never go on Olbermann so I don't see why Democrats even bother to give Fox the time of day. Just a personal take though.

MaddenNFL64

Man, I can't wait to see how the electoral maps will shift post convention bump. Probably only thing i'm really looking at as a barometer. 'Course I love tracking polls for it's ability to make us giddy one second, and depressed the next. Kinda like a daily NPD.

PrivateWHudson said:
I think I can answer this question. If you aren't 100% focused, it's very easy to get sucked into the "fight corruption and big government" rhetoric. It's easy to define defense as a necessary evil, and social programs as a money pit to keep more people addicted to the government without actually helping anyone.

Yes we're feeling the pain of a huge government therefore it's easy to disapprove of Bush, and we're even starting to realize that the war is a big part of the problem. However, it doesn't take much reassurance that the next guy will cut down on spending for us to give him a chance.

You got a point there. Even though the GOP has consistently failed to actually shrink government, they at least keep talking about it. Obama hardly does that. He did have one or two sentences about it in his big speech (which caused me to give out a huge cheer in my house) but he rarely mentions it. I think he should talk about it more . . . especially in view of all the wasteful Palin spending.

Go for the middle! Obama doesn't really need to worry about losing his core.

Sometimes I feel like lurking on PoliGAF gives me false expectations. Hearing about all these Palin scandals over the past week the second they came to light made me think McCain was sunk. But none of them come to fruition. I thought the book banning thing would be enough to shut them down for sure, but nobody around me has even heard of it.

1996 was the first election I was old enough to vote in, and while I have voted every time, I have to say that Obama is the first presidential candidate in my lifetime that makes any goddamn sense to me when he talks. So I donated $25 (as part of the NeoGAF group), and I think I might go down to Obama HQ tomorrow at noon, and participate in the campaign's canvasing event. I'd like a president that makes me proud, just this once.

Duane Cunningham said:
Sometimes I feel like lurking on PoliGAF gives me false expectations.

It's a liberal enclave so that will always be the case. You always have to weight that against reality and the group think.

Stoney Mason said:
Just a personal opinion but I'm never overly a fan when Democrats go on those types of shows. It's like some phony hurdle only Democrats have to pass by showing how tough they are by going into the den of the enemy. I don't have an issue with tough questions but rather how tame someone like O'Reilly is with a Mccain or a George Bush because they already agree on most things except when O'Reilly nationalism agenda conflicts with the Republican agenda. I understand why Democrats do it, I just never think its that helpful. Mccain would never go on Olbermann so I don't see why Democrats even bother to give Fox the time of day. Just a personal take though.

Normally I'd agree with you 100%. In fact, I expected O'Reilly to set up an ambush: Ayers, Wright, birth certificates, and all the rest of the crap left over from prime silly season. Stuff that you can just toss out there and leave to linger. Stuff to throw Obama off his game. But he didn't.

He asked about the surge, about Iran, if diplomacy fails, about how far he was willing to go with Pakistan. Those were all good questions, and I'm sure there are plenty of independents and republicans out there who wanted to know Obama's answers to them without hearing the same stump speech platitudes. Fair game IMO - and also what I'd expect to see if say, Karl Rove went on the Daily Show.

polyh3dron said:
O'Rly did great except for the parts where he keeps cutting of Obama and sneering etc.

..and I agree, Obama is his most effective when he gets off of his talking points. The problem is that there are so many people out there who aren't used to that, and it ends up being tuned out by the masses because they want short, simple answers (see: Saddleback or Idiocracy)

Yep. Even though I hate O'Reilly cutting people off because he loves to hear himself speak - it did get Obama to talk about the issues without sounding like he was just spouting poll-tested talking points. So, in the end it ended up helping Obama, because when he goes off script you can immediately tell that he has thought about the issues deeply, and that he is sincere in his approach.

laserbeam

Banned
harSon said:
Did they announce how many people tuned in for Mccain? I glossed over the last few pages and didn't see anything.
Preliminary numbers are larger viewing crowd then Obama. No Solid numbers yet though. Football game certainly boosted his numbers.

mj1108

Hootie said:
What's the deal with the poll numbers comparing who the American people think would do better with regards to foreign policy? How the HELL is McCain continually leading? The guy is basically Bush 2.0 when it comes to foreign policy, and now there's this whole Russia thing. Am I missing something or is the public really just stupid?

POW POW POW POW

Wolffen

I'm anxious to see how Obama does in the rest of the O'reily interview. I was impressed at how restrained Papa Bear was (yes, he still talked over Obama and interrupted him numerous times, but it was mild compared to his average interview in the studio), and how quickly Obama was able to counter and answer. It showed that O'reily wasn't going easy on Obama, and it also showed Obama keeping his cool and getting his point across in a somewhat hostile environment. I'm very glad that Obama didn't let O'reily rope him into saying he was wrong about the surge by focusing on the reason the surge still hasn't worked: the Iraqi government still hasn't stepped up.

NullPointer said:
Normally I'd agree with you 100%. In fact, I expected O'Reilly to set up an ambush: Ayers, Wright, birth certificates, and all the rest of the crap left over from prime silly season. Stuff that you can just toss out there and leave to linger. Stuff to throw Obama off his game. But he didn't.

He asked about the surge, about Iran, if diplomacy fails, about how far he was willing to go with Pakistan. Those were all good questions, and I'm sure there are plenty of independents and republicans out there who wanted to know Obama's answers to them without hearing the same stump speech platitudes. Fair game IMO - and also what I'd expect to see if say, Karl Rove went on the Daily Show.

That's the thing. I don't think Repbulicans are generally asked these questions on the mainstream shows and they are almost never pressed on them. I'm always a fan of tough questions in journalism but the political side of me also has to ask when has John Mccain answered tough questions from the media? O'Reily has a big audience which is why Obama is on the show and you can argue its a win win situation because if he converts anybody it has to be a plus because they weren't likely to vote for him ever but I also think he opens himself up to being sound-bited and picked apart which is traditional Fox technique. You can say 50 things right but if you say one thing that can be clipped into an edit package they will do that and ignore everything else you said.

GhaleonEB

Wow. Biden is really, really effective on the stump. His bit about fairness and healthcare was done well. He's much better at connecting than Obama.

Superblatt said:
Seriously? How is that even possible??
After the football game, networks switched to McCain's speech. I'm guessing many people didn't switch channels and saw McCain was talking and stuck around.

Stoney Mason said:
That's the thing. I don't think Repbulicans are generally asked these questions on the mainstream shows and they are almost never pressed on them. I'm always a fan of tough questions in journalism but the political side of me also has to ask when has John Mccain answered tough questions from the media? O'Reily has a big audience which is why Obama is on the show and you can argue its a win win situation because if he converts anybody it has to be a plus because they weren't likely to vote for him ever but I also think he opens himself up to being sound-bited and picked apart which is traditional Fox technique. You can say 50 things right but if you say one thing that can be clipped into an edit package they will do that and ignore everything else you said.
He evades them, just look at the Time magazine thing. What does that tell you? Obama will do an interview with Bill-O but McCain is afraid to answer questions from TIME MAGAZINE.

Hootie

GhaleonEB said:
Wow. Biden is really, really effective on the stump. His bit about fairness and healthcare was done well. He's much better at connecting than Obama.

Yeah but Biden was never a POW so he's an asshole librul

ghibli99

GhaleonEB said:
Agreed. He's said more in the last 5 minutes than McCain and Palin combined in the last 2 days. I want this guy on my side.

Cheebs

omgimaninja said:
After the football game, networks switched to McCain's speech. I'm guessing many people didn't switch channels and saw McCain was talking and stuck around.
That doesnt explain why other stations other than NBC(station with football game) on their own had increases from Obama such as CBS.

Socreges

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
4abd5be86a20ca453069fdc8f662617d.jpg
:lol just saw that on bbc

laserbeam

Banned
omgimaninja said:
That seems to be the trend for NBC who showed the game then speech. NBC is reporting a 26% increase in viewers compared to the Obama speech.

Across all broadcast networks Thursday, Sen. McCain’s speech ended the night with a 4.8 rating/7 share, compared to Sen. Obama’s 4.3/7 average.

NBC: 6.3 rating/10 share, topping Sen. Obama’s speech last week by 26%.
ABC: 4.5/7, down 2% from Obama's speech
CBS: 3.4/5, an increase of 3% from Obama's Speech

Tamanon

Banned
Krauthammer starting to bail on McCain?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../09/04/AR2008090402845.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

The gamble is enormous. In a stroke, McCain gratuitously forfeited his most powerful argument against Obama. And this was even before Palin’s inevitable liabilities began to pile up — inevitable because any previously unvetted neophyte has “issues.” The kid. The state trooper investigation. And worst, the paucity of any Palin record or expressed conviction on the major issues of our time.

That's never a good sign for him.

NullPointer said:
Spoke too soon, O'Reilly said the portion where he questions him about Ayers and Wright will air next week.

anecdotal and generally useless insight into why the viewership for McCain was higher...

My mother told me about how her coworkers said pretty much "I tried to watch obama, but right when he got up there he started talking about mccain so I turned it off".

Me on the other hand tried to watch mccain from beggining to end (though I practically dosed off), and I will watch it again today because I want to be informed of the opposing views.

Just found it funny that the generally subdued shots Obama took at McCain could cause someone to turn his speech off.

Fatalah

"I don't get why they keep talking about John McCain dropping bombs in Vietnam.

Michael Jordan was a great basketball player, it don't mean he'd be a great astronaut." -- Random radio caller

Or would it... hmm.

Zeliard

Superblatt said:
WOW. Dare I say that I just read a thoughtful and well written article by Bill O'Reilly?

Yeah, it's good. Doesn't even seem like it was written by him. It's a very wild divergence from his on-air persona. I guarantee you he'd never read that on the air.

Barrett2

Turns out the Ebay story is also a lie. From Politico:

September 05, 2008
Categories: John McCain
Not selling on eBay

Sarah Palin, in her speech, told a carefully stated -- but accurate -- story of putting a state-owned jet up for sale on eBay.

Palin did not, as the ADN reported at the time, succeed in selling it on eBay; she tried and failed.

She didn't actually claim to have though:

While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens should have to pay for.

That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay.

And she did put it on eBay, which seems like a good piece of symbolism and a clever stunt, even if she wound up selling it through more traditional channels.

But McCain, retelling the story, misstated it today:

"You know what i enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was acquired by her predecessor and sold it on eBay -- made a profit," he said, introducing Palin.

Well, no. And the state sold it at a loss of half a million dollars.

People are really flummoxed on why McCain would have a larger viewership than Obama? Really? Is nobody taking into account that the RNC convention coincided with the summer holiday season ending? Not to mention everyone back at home after Labor Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom