• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
Gaborn said:
On a personal level? Sure. On a legal level? The Supreme Court says it exists, whether it exists in that case or not is up to the courts to decide.

So then you stand by Roe v. Wade?

Door2Dawn said:
What a load of horseshit.

I didn't hear anything about how its the end for McCain when Obama was 310 ev and up on 538 two weeks ago. Now that McCain is getting bumps in the polls FROM HIS FUCKING CONVENTION,and its the end for Obama?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but shouldn't the bump be receding by now?

Tamanon

Banned
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=5779920&page=1

"Does anybody know what the difference between a bulldog and a hockey mom is?" Bob Barr, former Republican member of Congress and now the Libertarian presidential candidate, asks. "The bulldog gets vetted!"

When Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas and Republican primary contender, took over the microphone, he joked that he was hurt by McCain's decision not to ask him to join the GOP ticket.

"John McCain didn't even vet me," Huckabee said. "But he didn't vet Sara Palin either."

Aight, Barr's was much funnier:lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gaborn said:
On a personal level? Sure. On a legal level? The Supreme Court says it exists, whether it exists in that case or not is up to the courts to decide.

The point isn't whether it is a law and we should abide by it, but rather debate whether it should be a law in the first place, and if it is, whether it should be changed or not.

If you are opposed to FISA, support warrants and due process, then you should be against executive privilege. Take a stand!

Gaborn

thekad said:
So then you stand by Roe v. Wade?

I'm a lot more pro-choice than JayDub. I'm not sure I'm totally ok with abortion as much as the decision allows, but as a gay man I've got a lot harder time telling a woman what they should or should not do. I do think that states would be better for making the decision themselves though.

Reilo - I oppose FISA on a personal level, and from my understanding of Constitutional legal protections. I do not believe that it is inline with current Supreme Court holdings. Executive privilege, which I oppose on a personal level IS currently inline with Court holdings, I oppose the practice but she's got a legal right to claim it and adjudicate that claim.

Frank the Great said:
Sep12.png

2851438594_891e2820a6_o.png
I don't get where those numbers are coming from. That's the same chart as always except with NM outlined in red. How is McCain ahead 16?

speculawyer said:
It is clear that Obama knows a lot more about the Constitution and what is constitutional. Just because he doesn't share your particular views of what you think the Constitution means is not evidence of him not knowing the constitution. In fact he's spent years teaching what has and has not been ruled constitutional.

According to JayDub, there is no such thing as interpreting the Constitution. There is only reading.

JayDubya

Banned
reilo said:
I used some glib humor to show that you are comparing yourself to a constitutional law professor and proclaim that you know better about a subject he spent a lifetime studying.

Indeed...

So tell me, does the Democrat / "left"-identifying voter generally proffer a great deal of respect for Milton Friedman? Could we not say that Milton Friedman spent his whole life dedicated to his field and won many awards, so he had to be right and know more than you?

Or perhaps, instead, people would take umbrage at that, and say that rightist economics are wrong, and here's why, appealing perhaps to the writings of others that agree with them, perhaps with a better pedigree than themselves?

On scrutiny, that's a fairly apt comparison. If I disagree entirely with his subjective values and I vehemently disagree with the view of the Constitution he propagates, why should I care about his pedigree?

Blader

mamacint said:
The reason that the WMD question was unanswered was that weapons inspectors were in Iraq and were denied by Bush more time to check if these claims were true or not. They were responsible and like everything else with this administration, if facts were inconvenient, they were ignored. If you're trying to tell me that a Dem. administration would have resulted in the Iraq mess we're in now, then you're a lying fuck.

Jeez, talk about conveniently ignoring the facts. Biden himself says he believed--as much of the Bush administration did--that Iraq had WMDs. What the hell are you arguing?

AniHawk

Branduil said:
See, this is what I was talking about. If the candidate of choice doesn't win then everyone in America is evil and should be shot.

No, it's because he's lying to the American public about his record and his opponents. He's flipped on a number of issues to appease the party elders (or... well, you get the idea). He's a shell of his former self. He's a sellout. Obama's not going to raise taxes on people under 250k/yr, but McCain tells people he will raise taxes. Obama didn't call Palin a pig, but McCain's campaign went on a false outrage and McCain himself backed it up and said Obama meant Palin while he was talking about McCain and the economy, and even made two commercials about it. The first commercial was pulled because it had Katie Couric responding to a completely situation, actually regarding Hillary Clinton, but it was made to look like she was defending Palin. One of Obama's bills was made to help protect children from sex offenders, but McCain twists it to say Obama promotes sex education before children know how to read. McCain says Palin said thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere, when she only cut funding when it turned out Alaska would have to foot a large part of the deal (she kept the money anyway). He rails against lobbyists despite having plenty of them in his campaign in high positions. He said Palin never took earmarks despite the fact that Alaska's on track to spend more on pork-barrel projects than any other state this year.

These are lies, and McCain is a liar. And Sarah Palin is a liar. And all this has come out just in the week since the RNC ended. Sad.

GhaleonEB

echoshifting said:
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but shouldn't the bump be receding by now?
The tracking polls largely show that it's peaked. A couple show it receding.

The Fivethirtyeight prediction model had McCain with about a two point lead for nearly two weeks.

2764497795_36019bb1d1_o.png

Their model shows McCain with...a two point lead right now. Exactly what they predicted a month ago.

(For that matter, they nailed the size and duration of Obama's bounce as well.)

TDG

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
I didn't hear anything about how its the end for McCain when Obama was 310 ev and up on 538 two weeks ago.
Yes you did. Not too long ago everybody was talking about the possibility for the biggest blow out ever, Obama winning Georgia, and all sorts of other insane shit. They aren't looking for something to panic about, they're just looking for something to get emotional about.

Branduil

AniHawk said:
No, it's because he's lying to the American public about his record and his opponents. He's flipped on a number of issues to appease the party elders (or... well, you get the idea). He's a shell of his former self. He's a sellout. Obama's not going to raise taxes on people under 250k/yr, but McCain tells people he will raise taxes. Obama didn't call Palin a pig, but McCain's campaign went on a false outrage and McCain himself backed it up and said Obama meant Palin while he was talking about McCain and the economy, and even made two commercials about it. The first commercial was pulled because it had Katie Couric responding to a completely situation, actually regarding Hillary Clinton, but it was made to look like she was defending Palin. One of Obama's bills was made to help protect children from sex offenders, but McCain twists it to say Obama promotes sex education before children know how to read. McCain says Palin said thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere, when she only cut funding when it turned out Alaska would have to foot a large part of the deal (she kept the money anyway). He rails against lobbyists despite having plenty of them in his campaign in high positions. He said Palin never took earmarks despite the fact that Alaska's on track to spend more on pork-barrel projects than any other state this year.

These are lies, and McCain is a liar. And Sarah Palin is a liar. And all this has come out just in the week since the RNC ended. Sad.
Okay, but it's not as if everyone who's voting for McCain is doing so because they like lying, or something. Clinton was a liar, but I wouldn't call everyone who voted for him an idiot deserving of unending scorn and misery.

Evlar

Banned
JayDubya said:
Indeed...

So tell me, does the Democrat / "left"-identifying voter generally proffer a great deal of respect for Milton Friedman? Could we not say that Milton Friedman spent his whole life dedicated to his field and won many awards, so he had to be right and know more than you?

Or perhaps, instead, people would take umbrage at that, and say that rightist economics are wrong, and here's why, appealing perhaps to the writings of others that agree with them, perhaps with a better pedigree than themselves?

On scrutiny, that's a fairly apt comparison. If I disagree entirely with his subjective values and I vehemently disagree with the view of the Constitution he propagates, why should I care about his pedigree?
It might- maybe- modulate what kind of criticisms you level against him? You wouldn't, for instance, accuse him of being incapable of reading if he was a lawyer with a degree from Harvard and a lecture at Chicago. You would say something constructive.

For the record, I would never call Milton Friedman an idiot or say he was incapable of reading (and expect anyone to take me seriously).

I don't understand all the hate and insults towards people who don't vote for Obama. Especially when some of those same people gripe about conservatives and Christians doing the same thing to people who don't think their way. In the end you're no better.

Frank the Great said:
According to JayDub, there is no such thing as interpreting the Constitution. There is only reading.
:lol

Well . . . there goes hundreds of years of western jurisprudence down the drain . . . . and an entire branch of our government.

reilo

JayDubya said:
Indeed...

I respect Friedman's background and his stances, but I don't DISMISS them like you are doing. I'd also proclaim that Friedman knows more about free market economics than you do, too. Just because I disagree, it doesn't mean I dismiss their beliefs.

Your entire shtick is this: "Does the candidate oppose my libertarian hardline views?"

Circle one: YES | NO

If YES, dismiss their entire background and proclaim to be batshit crazy, then post in inanities, such as, "It is unconstitutional!"

AniHawk

Branduil said:
Okay, but it's not as if everyone who's voting for McCain is doing so because they like lying, or something. Clinton was a liar, but I wouldn't call everyone who voted for him an idiot deserving of unending scorn and misery.

Now I wasn't paying much attention back in the 90s, but outside of getting his dick sucked and smoking some pot, what did he lie about?

JayDubya

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Women should have the same rights as everybody. Including the right not to have the government dictate personal medical decisions on their behalf.

As a father of two beautiful daughters, no one has the right to take that away from them.

Speaking as the father of a beautiful daughter myself, the act of hiring a hit man in a white coat should not be considered a personal medical decision.

GhaleonEB

Bumblebeetuna said:
I don't understand all the hate and insults towards people who don't vote for Obama. Especially when some of those same people gripe about conservatives and Christians doing the same thing to people who don't think their way. In the end you're no better.
Where is the hate and insults in this thread? That's a random broadstroke that doesn't follow the discussion at all.

Gaborn

reilo said:
I respect Friedman's background and his stances, but I don't DISMISS them like you are doing. I'd also proclaim that Friedman knows more about free market economics than you do, too. Just because I disagree, it doesn't mean I dismiss their beliefs.

Your entire shtick is this: "Does the candidate oppose my libertarian hardline views?"

Circle one: YES | NO

If YES, dismiss their entire background and proclaim to be batshit crazy, then post in inanities, such as, "It is unconstitutional!"

Reilo - do YOU believe FISA to be constitutional?

Dolphin

Banned
Branduil said:
Only if you believe protecting the lives of the unborn is an unnecessary government duty, which I don't.
Then I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "increase government involvement in our lives." Do you mean Obama's taxcuts for 95% of the American population? Is there some other restrictive law you know about that Obama is planning to pass? Is Obama planning to spend 20 Billion a month on military occupations that forces us to cough up more money?

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:

The Fivethirtyeight prediction model had McCain with about a two point lead for nearly two weeks.

Their model shows McCain with...a two point lead right now. Exactly what they predicted a month ago.

How much do I have to pay them so I can see a month into my future?

Blader

GhaleonEB said:
Where is the hate and insults in this thread? That's a random broadstroke that doesn't follow the discussion at all.

The constant demonization of conservatives is, I'd say, hateful and insulting.

speculawyer said:
Damn, sounds like McCain got smacked down on "The View" . . . and the AP piled on. :lol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912...republicans;_ylt=ArrMkCc6_CnR8RGbkv8t_Pus0NUE

I don't think that is gonna help him with women.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? Next we'll hear that Pat Buchanan is ready to pull the lever for Obama on Nov. 4th.

Palin's less than stellar interview and McCain on the view definitely were not beneficial to him at all. The interview may signal stuff to the pundits and the media...but 'The View' may probably have a bigger impact in the long run. Bizarro world indeed.

reilo

Gaborn said:
Reilo - do YOU believe FISA to be constitutional?

No. That's why I hope if Obama gets elected, he repeals it. I wouldn't hold my breath though. No candidate is perfect.

That doesn't mean Obama is wrong on every constitutional issue like JayDub likes to proclaim.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
JayDubya said:
Speaking as the father of a beautiful daughter myself, the act of hiring a hit man in a white coat should not be considered a personal medical decision.
At least you're honest in stating you don't give a shit about the mother. Shame you'd subject women to mandated monthly uteral inspection though.

gkryhewy

JayDubya said:

When I consider all the skin cells in my apartment's dust, I weep. Hyperbole is fun!

GhaleonEB said:

It is uncanny, but the reversion to +0 on 9/21 looks a little like that famous Screen Digest PS3 projection.

vitaflo

Branduil said:
I appreciate your love for your daughters, and I know you would never call them that. But there are many children who will never even have the opportunity to experience love, or the concept of rights, because people think of them as medical decisions.

And our country is a much safer place because of it.

Branduil

AniHawk said:
Now I wasn't paying much attention back in the 90s, but outside of getting his dick sucked and smoking some pot, what did he lie about?
Where he lied is as important as what he lied about, I think... but that's not really the point. My point was you can't attack every person who votes for a candidate. If McCain committed murder, that wouldn't justify executing everyone who votes for him.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
GhaleonEB said:

Wait...... Are you serious? :lol

Dolphin

Banned
Blader5489 said:
The constant demonization of conservatives is, I'd say, hateful and insulting.
Do you mean fiscal conservatives or social conservatives? Because the Republicans only fit one of the two.

Karma Kramer said:
woah why are there edit cuts in this interview? Clearly her responses weren't given right after the question was given..
If the Republicans use the argument that the interview was edited to make her look foolish (I think they'll just have their pundits repeat the line that she did great), ABC will release the unedited footage which might make her seem even more ignorant.
Trurl said:
Charlie Gibson edited the video to make her look dumb. You can expect the McCain campaign to ask for the full footage to be released.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jPs1uPji0DUTBoLSodadFKjoimWQD935BVA05

McCain fumbles Palin's record on earmark requests

By BETH FOUHY – 23 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Friday defended two debunked television ads attacking Democrat Barack Obama and claimed erroneously that running mate Sarah Palin never sought money for lawmakers' pet projects as Alaska governor.

Palin sought $197 million in so-called "earmarks" for 2009. In the previous budget year, she asked for earmarks worth $256 million.

McCain made the comments during a feisty grilling on ABC's "The View," where the panel of female hosts pressed him on Palin's religious views, his position on abortion rights and whether he had traded in his maverick ways to placate conservatives.

thekad

Banned
Hitokage said:
At least you're honest in stating you don't give a shit about the mother. Shame you'd subject women to mandated monthly uteral inspection though.

Monthly? Show some goddamned empathy.

reilo

Hitokage said:

I jerked off today. I potentially killed millions of mini-mes.

Hey, Dubya, when you had sex and used a condom, were you committing murder? What about masturbation? Is that murder, too?

maximum360 said:
Am I in the Twilight Zone? Next we'll hear that Pat Buchanan is ready to pull the lever for Obama on Nov. 4th.

Palin's less than stellar interview and McCain on the view definitely were not beneficial to him at all. The interview may signal stuff to the pundits and the media...but 'The View' may probably have a bigger impact in the long run. Bizarro world indeed.

He'll keep lying about her record to the bitter end and making that Alaska Russia connection whatever that means.

Evlar

Banned
JayDubya said:
Equivalence, equivalence. Nothing ever just is for you, is it? It's always something else in hiding.

Dolphin

Banned
JayDubya said:
That's not a very pragmatic sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom