• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheebs said:
Yes. First one is Jim Lehrer of PBS, second is Tom Brokaw of NBC although he asks no questions (the second debate is all questions from the audience), and the third is Bob Schieffer of CBS.

VP debate is Gwen Iffel of PBS.

Good. The less of Brokaw talking the better for Obama. The only one that worries me now the Schieffer.

Barrett2

AndyIsTheMoney said:
well, our government entitles them to a bailout

I have no idea what you are talking about. The Fed gov. has various entitlement programs that taxpayers pay into and then derive a defined benefit from; Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security. The Feds electing to bail out investment banks & lenders in order to avoid a broader financial crunch has nothing to do with the Feds entitlement programs. They have nothing in common. The banks are not 'entitled' to anything; any gov. bailout is an optional remedy, basically a gift from the gov. to the banks.

GhaleonEB

maximum360 said:
Drudge is no friend of Obama. During the primaries it was obvious that he just despised Obama a bit less than Hilary. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all of that...

I like how the media takes notice of Obama's fundraising with celebs while McCain does fundraising with big money/shady individuals and it gets no coverage. That darn librul media at work again.,
Yeah, I was reading a quip from First Read just a bit ago about that:

Then again, why is that when Republican candidates attend fundraisers with celebrities (like McCain’s recent event with Jon Voight, Jon Cryer, Patricia Heaton, Angie Harmon, Robert Duvall), it garners less attention than when Democrats do?

Is the clip of Ralph Nader lamenting his campaign's lack of coverage to a parrot new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvuF7p2uwE

delirium

Cheebs said:
The only thing he has done right is his AIDS work for Africa. There is not one other single thing a logical person can say he did well other than that.

His foreign policy was a disaster (Afghan. war still not solved and bin laden escaped, everyone knows about how great iraq was, europe hates us more than ever), his economic policy was a disaster (entering a horrible recession and his tax cuts were complete shit), his education policy was a flop (no child left behind), his social security reform was a disaster, he has done absolutely nothing about the energy crisis other than help big oil get bigger, he ignored the environmental problems of global warming, and he packed the supreme court with right-wing wackos, not to mention his incompetence in katrina.

Name me one other thing other than Africa that he did right. I can't think of one. Nixon did a hell of a lot more good than Bush even (Nixon's decently strong environmental push & working with china alone are better than the one decent thing Bush did)

Do you/Can you really blame Bush for all that? Katrina is more of the local government's failure, Europe hating us I don't really care about. What could he have done for the energy crisis? And how can he be blamed for the current economy situation? You give the President a lot more power than he really has.

lawblob said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. The Fed gov. has various entitlement programs that taxpayers pay into and then derive a defined benefit from; Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security. The Feds electing to bail out investment banks & lenders in order to avoid a broader financial crunch has nothing to do with the Feds entitlement programs. They have nothing in common.

it was a joke blob.

i think we all know our entitlement programs have no link with the housing collapse. and i wasn't making the point. i was just saying entitlement programs are becoming increasingly more expensive, and becoming more difficult to pay for. and i was saying. in response to the other persons post, that that might be what mccain was talking about when he mentioned a "social contract"

snacknuts

we all knew her
GhaleonEB said:
Quick google result:

FIRST DEBATE
Presidential debate
Date: Friday, September 26, 2008
Debate focus: Foreign Policy & National Security
Moderator: Jim Lehrer of PBS will ask the question
Format: Standing at podiums

Oxford, Mississippi

SECOND DEBATE
Vice Presidential debate
Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008
Debate focus: Domestic and foreign policies

St. Louis, Missouri

THIRD DEBATE
Presidential debate
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Debate focus: Issues posed over internet and by audience members
Moderator: Tom Brokaw of NBC News
Format: Town Hall style

Nashville, Tennessee

FOURTH DEBATE
Presidential debate
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Debate focus: Domestic and Economic Policies
Moderator: Bob Schieffer of CBS News
Format: Sitting at a table

When are we going to know times?

Barrett2

AndyIsTheMoney said:
it was a joke blob.

i think we all know our entitlement programs have no link with the housing collapse. and i wasn't making the point. i was just saying entitlement programs are becoming increasingly more expensive, and becoming more difficult to pay for. and i was saying. in response to the other persons post, that that might be what mccain was talking about when he mentioned a "social contract"

Gotcha. As for McCain's statement, I don't think he meant anything by it. He was clearly not speaking in any particular term-of-art language, I think he was just trying to 'connect' with voters by sounding like he has some kind of wisdom on the topic.

But yeah, the entitlement programs are a problem. It's too bad Bush's Social Security privatization scheme was such a joke, I would hypothetically like to see the system privatize, but unfortunately Bush's plan was such obvious garbage that I doubt Congress will be willing to broach the subject for a few more years.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
AndyIsTheMoney said:
well, our government entitles them to a bailout
this is not a bailout, which is evident by Bernanke's stance against providing direct assistance to either Lehman and AIG. Bear Stearns wasn't 'too big to fail', it was 'too interconnected to the rest of the financial industry to fail'. a Stearns failure would've left a lot of casualties on Wall Street and thrown the economy more violently into crisis.

the same with Freddie and Fannie, who are too tied up in international capital flows to default.

Soybean

Cheebs said:
There is not one other single thing a logical person can say he did well other than that.
Well, I do love all things space, so I'm quite happy he set out lofty goals for NASA. I'm NOT so happy that they've had to cut science to achieve it, and their budget hasn't been multiplied 50 times like I would like in my utopian ideal, but hey, it's something.

3rdman

delirium said:
Do you/Can you really blame Bush for all that? Katrina is more of the local government's failure, Europe hating us I don't really care about. What could he have done for the energy crisis? And how can he be blamed for the current economy situation? You give the President a lot more power than he really has.

Katrina was the fault of many...However, video shows that although Bush was aware of the impending danger of Katrina, he left the crisis in the hands of his appointee: Brownie. He then flew off to Arizona to celebrate McCain's birthday while people drowned.

His energy policy was born from a meeting with Ken Lay and Dick Cheney...It's oil-centric with absolutely no room for alternative forms. His administration was also directly involved with deregulation in the oil market and has allowed the speculators to run rampant and drive the price of oil up artificially. In case you haven't noticed...there is no shortage. Neither you nor I have had to wait in line for gas...the last time I did that I was 2 years old.

The economy is falling because of the mortgage crisis which (like the oil industry) was allowed to run rampant and gorge themselves on sub-prime mortgages. It took this crisis to put some of those limitations back on the books. I didn't even mention the strain the Iraq war has been....not to mention the poor way in which its funding has been handled.

All these (and many more) moves have been signed into law by this tard of a president so yeah....he could have helped quite a bit.

GhaleonEB

This might be a micro-trend to watch. In the Kos internals, Palin's net positive has been dropping steadily.

This is the three day rolling average of Palin's net favorable rating, compared to the three day rolling average of how women say they'll vote for Obama and McCain:

Code:
Palin - Net Favorable	McCain	Obama
 13                         44      51 
 9                          43      52 
 6                          43      52 
 3                          42      53

Obama is doing better with women as Palin's approval rating drops. Which is why he's up four in their poll. (Men haven't really shifted over the six days of the poll.)

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
This might be a micro-trend to watch. In the Kos internals, Palin's net positive has been dropping steadily.

This is the three day rolling average of Palin's net positive rating, compared to the three day rolling average of how women say they'll vote for Obama and McCain:

Code:
Palin - Net Favorable	McCain	Obama
 13                         44      51 
 9                          43      52 
 6                          43      52 
 3                          42      53

Obama is doing better with women as Palin's approval rating drops. Which is why he's up four in their poll. (Men haven't really shifted over the six days of the poll.)
It's odd that Hotline and Rasmussen's internals haven't really shown this at all yet but Research 2000 has.

Jak140

Branduil said:
The greater sin is holding children responsible for their parent's sins and rewarding the parents for it.
Yes, abortion is "rewarding" the parents. I can't imagine how pro-lifers, who spend so much time painting abortion in the worst light possible are able to think of it as some kind of joy to the parents. I'd say that you are the one holding "children responsible for their parent's sins" because you are the one who would force them into a world where they are unwanted or born into squalor, while ignoring the fact tht we have the highest infant mortality in the industrialized world. Why not care for the babies who are born wanted by helping government improve child health care instead of worrying about potential babies (note again that I am talking about pre-viability abortion, which are the vast majority of all abortions)? What is insane to me is that so many conservatives seem to care about abortions, but don't seem to give a damn once the baby is born.

JayDubya said:
I wish I could be that optimistic, but here's hoping.
I'm still waiting for an explaination on how you can consider a haploid and diploid cell to be not morally equivalent, while also claiming that the rights of a diploid cell trump those of a fully formed and functioning human being.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/HoltzEakin_McCain_helped_create_BlackBerry.html?showall
Holtz-Eakin: McCain helped create BlackBerry

Asked what work John McCain did as Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee that helped him understand the financial markets, the candidate's top economic adviser wielded visual evidence: his BlackBerry.

"He did this," Douglas Holtz-Eakin told reporters this morning, holding up his BlackBerry. "Telecommunications of the United States is a premier innovation in the past 15 years, comes right through the Commerce committee so you're looking at the miracle John McCain helped create and that's what he did."

Al Gore, call your office.

(Courtesy of Amie Parnes, on the trail with McCain)

WTF?

:lol :lol :lol

Barrett2

Instigator said:
Gay marriage and abortion, do the resident libertarians at GAF care about anything else?

The free market will resolve all other problems, leaving the government with only abortion and gays to worry about.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
lawblob said:
The free market will resolve all other problems, leaving the government with only abortion and gays to worry about.

Nicely done sir!

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Holy cow, how did I not see this clip of McCain on Meet the Press?
Oh snap, Russert was SO awesome.

The McCain of today would be all like "Well since you're a supporter of Senator Obama tell him to come walk into this nice trap Town Hall meeting I've got set up. It could really change the tenor of the campaign."

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
It's odd that Hotline and Rasmussen's internals haven't really shown this at all yet but Research 2000 has.
Like I said, just something to keep an eye on. I haven't crunched the internals on the others, I didn't think they were available.
BrandNew said:
Is there any sort of Gallup slated for today? I usually think they're the most accurate.
They post at 10:00 AM Pacific time every day. Two hours.

mamacint said:
WTF?

:lol :lol :lol
McCain INVENTED TEH BLACKBERRY

What? You want to make fun of that? They used to take thorny Blackberry bushes and torture John with them when he was a POW and that's how they got the name. By using a Blackberry, you put your Country First!

AniHawk

Research 2000: Obama+4
Rasmussen: McCain+1

C'mon Hotline and Gallup, don't let me down now. Today we could see Obama's first lead since the RNC.

reilo said:
HOLY SHIT AT THAT RUSSERT CLIP.

Oh myyyyyy

What happened?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AniHawk said:

C'mon Hotline and Gallup, don't let me down now. Today we could see Obama's first lead since the RNC.

What happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpaTE9K_XE

He "gotcha'd" McCain on his stance on Iraq... by using his owns words against him. McCain said some meaty words about the Somalia incident in 93 which are perfectly applicable to the situation in Iraq. McCain never realized those were his words Russert was quoting.

Cheebs

AniHawk said:

What happened?
Dont hold out for Gallup. Gallup had Friday as a good day for Obama. Friday will not be factored out of the tracking.

reilo said:

He "gotcha'd" McCain on his stance on Iraq... by using his owns words against him. McCain said some meaty words about the Somalia incident in 93 which are perfectly applicable to the situation in Iraq. McCain never realized those were his words Russert was quoting.

And that was the sad part. The guy's age is catching up to him. He's nowhere as sharp as he used to be. Toss Palin into the equation and his presidency is a nightmare waiting to happen. Instead of a reasonable thinking republican running mate he chose Bush in a dress...with lipstick.

AniHawk said:

What happened?
Russert reads a quote to McCain asking what he thinks about it with someone talking about the war, saying "There's no reason for the US to remain, the American people want them home and I believe the majority of congress wants them home, our continued military presence allows another situation to rise which could then lead to the wounding, killing or capture of American fighting men and women; we should do all in our power to avoid that. What should be the criteria is our immediate, orderly withdrawal. And if we do not do that and other Americans die, then I would say that the responsibilities for that lie with the Congress, who did not exercise their authority under the Constitution. For us to get into nation-building, law and order et cetera I think, is a tragic and terrible mistake."

McCain responds by saying "and what happens after we leave" and basically shoots the quote down. He calls a "heartfelt" statement though. Russert then tells McCain that those were his words about the Somali conflict. O SNAP

reilo said:

I can't wait to watch that when I get home. I miss Russert so much. Tom's doing his best but the show really boring now :(

Cloudy

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Neither does the viewer. Why doesn't it clarify that they were his words?

Cos you'd expect a politician who sticks to his principles to feel the same way about similar situations...

Odrion

Banned
well, good news is that mccain's convention bump is dieing and at a quicker rate than what people were predicting (neck-to-neck by the end of the month.)

bad news is that it looks like the economy and america might not survive before the elections are over

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And Somalia is very comparable to Iraq. In fact it's an object lesson in why you shouldn't EVER try occupation as a strategy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TheKingsCrown said:
Neither does the viewer. Why doesn't it clarify that they were his words?

As Ghaleon said - it was a trap - and something journalists have done and used to provoke a response and hold the feet of the powerful to the fire for hundreds of years. It's a fine technique.

scorcho said:
a small profile of the brain trust behind McCain's ambiguous economic platform - http://thinkprogress.org/wonkroom/2008/09/15/mccain-econ-team/

It's still so very disgusting that key people (and party) behind the current fiscal fiasco are the top dogs behind the McCain campaign yet it has, so far, not suffered as it rightly should and that it is still a possibility that voters will give these corrupt shitheads another four years at bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom