• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Just today, Senator McCain offered up the oldest Washington stunt in the book – you pass the buck to a commission to study the problem. But here’s the thing – this isn’t 9/11. We know how we got into this mess. What we need now is leadership that gets us out. I’ll provide it, John McCain won’t, and that’s the choice for the American people in this election.

SMACK

There is no difference into why they are performed here or in other first world countries.

What they are is the same procedure and it is performed everywhere is to abort the fetus. Why that decision is arrived at certainly may vary from country to country based on economic factors, religious factors, etc. Yes countries and societies are different.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Fatalah said:
Obama's website needs a little tweaking in terms of navigation. Things are HIDDEN!
Agreed, I use the Googles to find it, not his website UI :(

But alas it is here, and it doesn't require some cnn bullshite to view!

http://www.barackobama.com/live/index.php !!!

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
I'm not arguing that. What I'm arguing is that the fundamentals of the debate, namely whether or not an unborn fetus should have the same rights as everyone else, are divisive enough without needing to argue nuanced hypothetical situations. We can waste page after page after page arguing individual circumstances, but perceptions aren't going to change. The crux of the debate boils down to a basic question that most can't agree upon. It's unnecessary to introduce nuance into the debate.
Jak140 clearly stated that abortions are some joyless affair or something when that is just untrue in many places. I never entered the conservation to have an argument about fetuses but to counter that one point.

If you want to bitch about fetuses, find Jaydub

lawblob said:
It really is frightening that amidst the largest financial crisis since the Great Depression, America is potentially on the cusp of electing a geriatric President who in the past has said he doesn't know much about the economy; and a Vice President who doesn't know shit about anything. This is so depressing...

"B...b..but Palin's just like us."

/Mika, Joe Scarbs, Andrea Mitchell, Pat Buchanan etc. etc.

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
What they are is the same procedure and it is performed everywhere is to abort the fetus. Why that decision is arrived at certainly may vary from country to country based on economic factors, religious factors, etc. Yes countries and societies are different.
And some are more different than others. You're acting as if Sweden society is as foreign to us as china. it isn't, at all. Their are plenty of things that are similar, and I find it funny that Americans and Europeans exchange idea on money, health care, culture, education, etc etc but abortion we are worlds apart

AniHawk

Damn he knows how to rock the cowboy hat.

New avatars if anyone's interested.

16jewt1.jpg

m7ukk2.jpg

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
That was the most brilliant jab at the 7 homes thing ever :lol

I wish I could rephrase it, but that was brilliant.

Jak140

The "tough emotional choice" is largely bullshit.

In many countries, like Sweden for examples women have abortions becuase they don't want kids. There is no crying, no second guessing, no nothing. Many abortions are decisions focused on the life of the mother, not worried about the welfare of the child. Only in a America do i see this idea that all abortions are this "tough moments" and they all come from "rape" and if they don't have abortions the children are "doomed to third world poverty"

One thing about Scandinavian countries is that they don't lie to themselves.

Nowhere did I even mention rape in my argument. I was just stating that it was not an easy choice for the majority of women in America and that children should have the right to be born into families that will want them and be able to care for them. Outlawing abortion would greatly stifle that right and is especially hypocritical when the majority trying to outlaw it don't seem to care about the babies once they are born, as evidenced by their ignoring of the US having the highest infant mortality rate in the industrialized world and a 20% poverty rate among minors (both of which Sweden has all but eradicated in comparison, BTW). Way to completely misrepresent my opinion.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Their are plenty of things that are similar, and I find it funny that Americans and Europeans exchange idea on money, health care, culture, education, etc etc but abortion we are worlds apart
but there's a vast difference between contemporary European views on health care, education and money compared to here.

Jak140 clearly stated that abortions are some joyless affair or something when that is just untrue in many places. I never entered the conservation to have an argument about fetuses but to counter that one point.

If you want to bitch about fetuses, find Jaydub
And honestly, that's fair. I would argue that Jak140's point was irrelevant to begin with.

It's not like anyone is going to argue for legislation that states that abortions are only permittable if the individual regretfully believes that an abortion is unfortunately the most responsible decision given the circumstances. You either believe that each individual should have the right to choose, or you don't.

Fatalah

Wow *listening to Obama lay out his economic plans*

Do you think people will take to this? I would hope that a candidate's intelligent summation of their economic plans would be endearing to Americans.

Not just saying "The fundamentals are strong people! But we gotta clean up those Wall Street hot shots!"

The only thing I would say about Obama's speeches and answers is that he has to be able to "at times" make his point concisely. The media doesn't have the patience to hear an adult talking and love sound bites (as nonsensical as they may be). Thus the early McCain love.

Banned
Jak140 said:
Nowhere did I even mention rape in my argument. I was just stating that it was not an easy choice for the majority of women in America and that children should have the right to be born into families that will want them and be able to care for them. Outlawing abortion would greatly stifle that right and is especially hypocritical when the majority trying to outlaw it don't seem to care about the babies once they are born, as evidenced by their ignoring of the US having the highest infant mortality rate in the industrialized world and a 20% poverty rate among minors (both of which Sweden has all but eradicated in comparison, BTW). Way to completely misrepresent my opinion.

The rape comment was a general comment.

We have no proof that abortion is always a tough choice. Everything points counter to that in fact, and the infant mortality rate is so high in America is becuase we have so many underage pregnancies and our country is pretty damn big.

I'm for abortion, but the "bitter tears" argument is more Hollywood fabrication than reality

And some are more different than others. You're acting as if Sweden society is as foreign to us as china. it isn't, at all. Their are plenty of things that are similar, and I find it funny that Americans and Europeans exchange idea on money, health care, culture, education, etc etc but abortion we are worlds apart

Societies are very different. That's why we have different social and moral customs between us. To pick one random example Sweden is a far less religious country than us. By most accounts Sweden has the highest number of self-identified atheists or agnostics of any country on the planet. Theoretically you could argue that puts much less of a religious aspect into the whole abortion argument that hangs around the abortion issue in this country. We are one of the more religious countries in the world. That alone can often complicate the decision to have or not have an abortion. That is indeed a "tough choice" for some people whether you agree or not. That is one random element in a universe of hundreds because we are not Sweden. We don't have their culture. It might even be argued we currently don't have their health-care when you look at the infant mortality rate versus the US. So because Sweden feels or believes a certain way about certain issues is no decisive correlation on how Americans feel or believe on the same issues.

Fatalah said:
Wow *listening to Obama lay out his economic plans*

Do you think people will take to this? I would hope that a candidate's intelligent summation of their economic plans would be endearing to Americans.

Not just saying "The fundamentals are strong people! But we gotta clean up those Wall Street hot shots!"
lol I'm a fundamental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom