• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
scorcho said:
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/mccain-spars-with-morning-joe-co-host/

i'm still a bit perplexed as to why McCain even bothered to target Mika after a very innocuous question that essentially piggy-backed off what Scarborough asked. being this blatantly antagonistic (not to mention presumptuous) towards the media isn't an effective long-term strategy.

fuck, even Obama treated ol' falafel Shover with a modicum of respect.

I suppose McCain has a history of getting angry at innocuous questions

AniHawk

Y2Kev said:
So now that the suiciding is over, what is the LHC?

Large Hadron Collider. It's gonna try and recreate the events that occurred just after the Big Bang and there's a small chance it'll create a black hole.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well lookie what just popped into my inbox. Nader's showing up at my campus.

For Immediate Release
September 16, 2008

Ralph Nader to Give Speech at OSU-Tulsa

TULSA – Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader will speak about Oklahoma’s ballot access law and the current presidential campaign at Oklahoma State University-Tulsa on Thursday at 1 p.m. in the Auditorium.

“Open the Debates” is the theme of Nader’s remarks, which reflect the Nader and vice presidential candidate Matt Gonzalez campaign’s call for inclusive, democratic presidential debates.

Nader will also address Oklahoma’s ballot access restrictions for independent and third party candidates, as well as issues concerning national public health care, the war in Iraq, energy and global warming policies and corporate crime.

OSU-Tulsa is located at 700 North Greenwood Avenue, near I-244 and Detroit Avenue. For more information, contact the Nader campaign at 202-471-5833.

Think I should go GAF?

gcubed

Diablos said:
What the fuck is electoral-vote doing putting PA on the map as a tie?!

electoral map is garbage, it only uses the latest poll that is available, the latest poll happened to be a tie

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
ZealousD said:

Think I should go GAF?
yes. ask him if he'll be making another Nader Debates Hand Puppets! video for 2008.

Deku

Banned
AniHawk said:
080916DailyUpdateGraph1_j9b7v3.gif

streams crossing!

This is encouraging, looks like things are back to normal.

syllogism

Diablos said:
What the fuck is electoral-vote doing putting PA on the map as a tie?!
They use the most recent poll or if there's been more than one poll within a week, an average of those polls. In this case I think they just used the fresh Rasmussen poll showing a tie. It's a fairly worthless site, might as well just look at the polls yourself.

AniHawk

ToxicAdam said:
Anybody have the DailyKos poll numbers? I haven't seen them posted on every page for the past 8 pages.

Obama: 48
McCain: 44

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Stoney Mason said:
This is the poster that Republicans use to post before they discovered sexism...

Pretty much. I'd love to see a 527 ad on Republicans and McCain on sexism. Is there audio of his "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?" joke?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AniHawk said:
I think the economy stuff is reminding a lot of people that "oh yeah, these guys were in charge for eight years"
Gallup admits: it only releases likely voter results when they favor McCain.

On Friday, Gallup published this report discussing the differences between registered and likely voters. Perhaps unintentionally, Frank Newport, the head of Gallup, made a huge admission that bears directly on the September 8th likely voter poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110272/Registered-Voters-vs-Likely-Voters.aspx

Second, we are at this point reporting likely voter estimates on only an occasional basis. We feel that the trends among registered voters give us the best way to track election preferences in our daily poll, in part because many voters are not yet in a position to accurately estimate their chances of voting on Election Day. But from time to time, we do estimate (and report) likely voter results to give us a feel for the potential difference turnout could make in November. So far this summer, there have been occasions when -- as was the case this past weekend after the GOP convention -- likely voters were decidedly more Republican. But there have also been occasions when there was little difference between the vote patterns of likely voters and those of registered voters.

In other words, Gallup is admitting the following:

1. At the time it released the September 8th poll (showing McCain up by 10), it believed institutionally that likely voter results were less accurate than registered voter results.

2. Likely voter results have only occasionally diverged from the registered voter results.

3. Despite these facts, Gallup deliberately chose to release, to the widest fanfare possible, a poll using an admittedly less accurate method (the likely voter method) at the time of McCain's maximum convention bounce, knowing that it would show a large divergence (+10 for McCain vs. only +4 with registered voters) based on the likely voter method, even though such a divergence is not often present.

4. In short, they combined all possible factors in McCain's favor to make his lead seem as big as possible -- and the media went wild with it.

Zeliard

worldrunover said:
CROSS THE STREAM.

It will, coinciding with the large, late, and highly deserving backlash that Palin has been on the receiving end of recently. The media finally realized that she is potentially the next VP and decided to stop playing games. Too bad they're still ignoring Biden, though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ZealousD said:

Think I should go GAF?
Ask him if he had to vote for either mccain or obama who would he vote for.

Deku

Banned
UH OH.... AIG might be next.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7618430.stm

Concerns are mounting about the future of US insurance giant AIG as investors fear a domino effect in the aftermath of Lehman Brothers' collapse.

Credit ratings agencies, which assess the riskiness of debt, have downgraded AIG - making it more difficult for the firm to borrow money.

New York Governor David Paterson said AIG had one day to raise up to $80bn to stave off bankruptcy.

AIG shares fell 70% in early trade, having fallen 61% on Monday.

Talks between financial firms and officials aimed at helping the struggling insurer are taking place.

"We're in the moment right now as to whether or not they can put something together," Mr Paterson said

RNC delegate plays role of George Costanza

ST. PAUL (AP) ― A delegate to the Republican National Convention says he was robbed of more than $120,000 after he took a woman to his Minneapolis hotel room.

The Denver man told police he met the woman in a bar, then took her to his hotel room at Hotel Ivy. Police say that once there, the woman made the man drinks and told him to get undressed.

The 29-year-old delegate told police that was the last thing he remembered.

Police say that when he woke, the woman was gone, and the man was missing money, jewelry and other things. The missing items included a $30,000 watch, a $20,000 ring and a $5,000 necklace.

The man is a single attorney in Denver. He tells the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he doesn't want to comment because the case is under investigation.

Police believe he was drugged.

:lol

Barrett2

ZealousD said:

Think I should go GAF?

You know what needs to be done.

<_<

>_>

Just kidding. I saw Nader speak at my school a few years ago; pretty interesting.

AniHawk

soul creator said:

The Honorable John McCain
United States Senate
241 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Dear John:

Thank you for inviting me to participate in the meeting yesterday to discuss lobbying and ethics reform proposals currently before the Senate. I appreciate your willingness to reach out to me and several other Senate Democrats to discuss what should be done to restore public confidence in the way that Congress conducts its business. The discussion clearly underscored the difficult challenge facing Congress.

You and many in the Democratic Caucus have played a major role in reform efforts in the Senate. In fact, the Indian Affairs Committee hearings you led were instrumental in promoting public awareness of the culture of corruption that has permeated the nation's capital.

As you know, Senator Harry Reid and others in the Democratic Caucus have taken an important step by introducing S. 2180, the Honest Leadership Act, which imposes many of the same disclosure requirements for lobbyists that you have proposed, while also strengthening enforcement, eliminating "pay to play" schemes, and imposing more restrictive rules on meals, gifts, and travel that Members and their staff can receive from special interests that advocate before Congress. This bill, which now has the support of 40 members of the Democratic Caucus, represents a significant step in addressing many of the worst aspects of corruption that have come to light as a result of the Justice Department investigation of Jack Abramoff.

I know you have expressed an interest in creating a task force to further study and discuss these matters, but I and others in the Democratic Caucus believe the more effective and timely course is to allow the committees of jurisdiction to roll up their sleeves and get to work on writing ethics and lobbying reform legislation that a majority of the Senate can support. Committee consideration of these matters through the normal course will ensure that these issues are discussed in a public forum and that those within Congress, as well as those on the outside, can express their views, ensuring a thorough review of this matter.

Given the state of affairs in Washington, we have a historic opportunity to make fundamental changes in the way our government operates so that the actions we take as public officials are responsive and transparent to the American people. Thank you again for your interest in this important matter.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

Barack Obama
United States Senate
SH-713
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Dickface:

I would like to apologize to you for assuming that your private assurances to me regarding your desire to cooperate in our efforts to negotiate bipartisan lobbying reform legislation were sincere. When you approached me and insisted that despite your leadership's preference to use the issue to gain a political advantage in the 2006 elections, you were personally committed to achieving a result that would reflect credit on the entire Senate and offer the country a better example of political leadership, I concluded your professed concern for the institution and the public interest was genuine and admirable. Thank you for disabusing me of such notions with your letter to me dated February 2, 2006, which explained your decision to withdraw from our bipartisan discussions. I'm embarrassed to admit that after all these years in politics I failed to interpret your previous assurances as typical rhetorical gloss routinely used in politics to make self-interested partisan posturing appear more noble. Again, sorry for the confusion, but please be assured I won't make the same mistake again.

As you know, the Majority Leader has asked Chairman Collins to hold hearings and mark up a bill for floor consideration in early March. I fully support such timely action and I am confident that, together with Senator Lieberman, the Committee on Governmental Affairs will report out a meaningful, bipartisan bill.

You commented in your letter about my "interest in creating a task force to further study" this issue, as if to suggest I support delaying the consideration of much-needed reforms rather than allowing the committees of jurisdiction to hold hearings on the matter. Nothing could be further from the truth. The timely findings of a bipartisan working group could be very helpful to the committee in formulating legislation that will be reported to the full Senate. Since you are new to the Senate, you may not be aware of the fact that I have always supported fully the regular committee and legislative process in the Senate, and routinely urge Committee Chairmen to hold hearings on important issues. In fact, I urged Senator Collins to schedule a hearing upon the Senate's return in January.

Furthermore, I have consistently maintained that any lobbying reform proposal be bipartisan. The bill Senators Joe Lieberman and Bill Nelson and I have introduced is evidence of that commitment as is my insistence that members of both parties be included in meetings to develop the legislation that will ultimately be considered on the Senate floor. As I explained in a recent letter to Senator Reid, and have publicly said many times, the American people do not see this as just a Republican problem or just a Democratic problem. They see it as yet another run-of-the-mill Washington scandal, and they expect it will generate just another round of partisan gamesmanship and posturing. Senator Lieberman and I, and many other members of this body, hope to exceed the public's low expectations. We view this as an opportunity to bring transparency and accountability to the Congress, and, most importantly, to show the public that both parties will work together to address our failings.

As I noted, I initially believed you shared that goal. But I understand how important the opportunity to lead your party's effort to exploit this issue must seem to a freshman Senator, and I hold no hard feelings over your earlier disingenuousness. Again, I have been around long enough to appreciate that in politics the public interest isn't always a priority for every one of us. Good luck to you, Senator.

Sincerely,

John McCain
United States Senate

The Honorable John McCain
United States Senate
241 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Dear John:

Whoa dude. Seriously, what the hell, man. Calm down.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

On afternoon conference call, Obama and Michigan Democratic officials say they are seeking an injunction to block alleged “caging” by the state GOP– using home foreclosure lists to seek to block residents from voting.

Obama counsel Bob Bauer: “It is an absolute attack on their right to vote” and a “completely false and completely illegal basis” to challenge votes.

“This is a standard operating procedure within the Republican party that’s been under legal challenge.”

The Macomb party chair denies the comments attributed to him.
http://thepage.time.com/2008/09/16/obama-team-blasts-alleged-gop-disenfranchisement-plan/

YES

Xisiqomelir

Deus Ex Machina said:
4. In short, they combined all possible factors in McCain's favor to make his lead seem as big as possible -- and the media went wild with it.

And despite all their efforts, JSA's Gallup lead was still ass compared to Bambam's :lol

GhaleonEB said:
nooooooooo

UBS holds our company stock accounts

:(

tell your company

UBS could lose up to $300 million from Lehman fall

Swiss bank UBS AG said Tuesday it could lose up to $300 million as a result of the bankruptcy of U.S. investment giant Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

UBS, reacting to a study that claimed Switzerland's largest bank would lose over $4 billion, said its "direct and counterparty exposures to Lehman Brothers, net of hedges, are now substantially closed out."

The total cost of closing out exposures should not exceed $300 million, UBS said in a statement.

Bernstein Research had predicted much higher losses in a note to investors, basing its estimate on a set of criteria including "the lack of a tax shield at UBS." But in a later clarification, Bernstein said that at no point did it want to imply that UBS, crosstown rival Credit Suisse Group or Germany's Deutsche Bank AG "are in danger of default or being 'the next domino to fall.'"

Finally, it admitted, "The bottom line is that we do not know what UBS exposure is. It is justifiable to say that the exposure is likely to much lower than our estimate."

UBS' U.S.-listed shares tumbled $1.96, or 12 percent, to $14.99 in Tuesday trading. Overseas, UBS shares plunged for the second straight session.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/4011537ab1f628aa0ee3752d80c246a8.htm

Yeah UBS has taken some lumps (and will take some more) over the Subprime Shitheap but they aren't in any real danger of insolvency like AIG and WaMu are.

Tamanon said:
I will say that one of the most useful things Obama has had this election has been his legal team, they've been instrumental in the primaries also.

I'm sure the GOP will pull off some shenanigans but Obama's legal team+dem control in battleground states like Ohio=less bullshit. I wonder what would have happened if Kerry had a similar legal team/ground game.

Cloudy

Banned
Can you guys imagine if the Rev Wright crap just came out now? I didn't like it at the time but it's good that the Dems got so ugly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom