• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloudy said:
Can you guys imagine if the Rev Wright crap just came out now? I didn't like it at the time but it's good that the Dems got so ugly..

yeah i think regardless of PUMA, hillary was the best thing to happen to Barrack.

Barrett2

Cloudy said:
Can you guys imagine if the Rev Wright crap just came out now? I didn't like it at the time but it's good that the Dems got so ugly..

It would be disaster for Obama. Hopefully there isn't some other October surprise we aren't anticipating.

PhoenixDark said:
I'm sure the GOP will pull off some shenanigans but Obama's legal team+dem control in battleground states like Ohio=less bullshit. I wonder what would have happened if Kerry had a similar legal team/ground game.

People tend to forget that John Kerry did have quite the groundgame. Remember, he received the most votes for a Democratic nominee for president-- ever. However, George Bush's ground game was just simply masterful.

AniHawk

lawblob said:
It would be disaster for Obama. Hopefully there isn't some other October surprise we aren't anticipating.

If you knew Barack Obama fathered two black children, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Incognito said:
People tend to forget that John Kerry did have quite the groundgame. Remember, he received the most votes for a Democratic nominee for president-- ever. However, George Bush's ground game was just simply masterful.

Kerry had a decent ground game in some states. Obama's ground game is as good if not better than dubyas. His registration numbers alone are insanely huge.

Cloudy said:

Like I said, Hannity really did Obama a favor by repeating over and over and over again before the primaries even started. They should have let the primaries play through: if Hillary won they could have launched the typical anti-Clinton stuff on her, and if Obama won they could start hammering the Wright/Ayers shit non-stop in September

Barrett2

AniHawk said:
If you knew Barack Obama fathered two black children, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?

Wait a minute, did you say BLACK children?

*places McCain yard sign in front of house*

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Cloudy said:
the long primary aired all of Obama's laundry for the world to see. there's no secrets, no whitey tape, no AQ membership card.

Pool report:

This is in response to Doug Holtz-Eakin's earlier comments during this morning's econ briefing, when asked about John McCain's accomplishments on the commerce committee.

Senior aide Matt McDonald said that the senator "laughed" when he heard the comment.

"He would not claim to be the inventor or anything, much less the BlackBerry. This was obviously a boneheaded joke by a staffer,"

mclem

ChoklitReign said:
I thought this was pretty funny
republicansarehawt.jpg
It's amazing what selling your soul can do.

scorcho said:
the long primary aired all of Obama's laundry for the world to see. there's no secrets, no whitey tape, no AQ membership card.

Pretty much agreed. If there was more dirt to be found you can bet Republicans would have found it by now. That's not to say they won't rehash the same issues or generate fake outrage at some current development ala lipstick on a pig.

Incognito said:
How does Bush's ground game compare to McCain's ground game? At least in my state, I don't think McCain has ANY offices, while Obama has at least a dozen and we're all working our asses off....how is McCain winning MO so handily with no ground game?

Zeliard

Stoney Mason said:
Pretty much agreed. If there was more dirt to be found you can bet Republicans would have found it by now. That's not to say they won't rehash the same issues or generate fake outrage at some current development ala lipstick on a pig.

The GOP has nothing more to smear Obama on so they're manufacturing outrage and priming themselves to begin initiating voter suppression.

Can someone help me on Republicans not liking the idea of increasing taxes on big businesses? If supply and demand plays a important role, as in they figure out what consumers are willing to pay and fix the price at that level on goods, but what if the money doesn't cover the costs? Does that affect jobs within those businesses or generally pass on the price onto consumers?

AniHawk

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Can someone help me on Republicans not liking the idea of increasing taxes on big businesses? If supply and demand plays a important role, as in they figure out what consumers are willing to pay and fix the price at that level, but what if the money they profit doesn't cover the costs? Does that affect jobs within those businesses?

More taxes means less moneys for themselves and their buddies.

Zeliard

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Can someone help me on Republicans not liking the idea of increasing taxes on big businesses? If supply and demand plays a important role, as in they figure out what consumers are willing to pay and fix the price at that level on goods, but what if the money doesn't cover the costs? Does that affect jobs within those businesses?

They only care because it means less money for high-incomers.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Can someone help me on Republicans not liking the idea of increasing taxes on big businesses? If supply and demand plays a important role, as in they figure out what consumers are willing to pay and fix the price at that level on goods, but what if the money doesn't cover the costs? Does that affect jobs within those businesses?

Top down economics baby. If big business is doing well, it will trickle down and the average Joe must do well, too.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, McCain helped invent the Blackberry by sitting on the finance comittee.

RiM is a Canadian company. Someone please help with with this.

Joe211

Do you know guys where I can find an interview of Sarah Palin?
I can't find one it seems she doesn't want to speak to the media. Am I right?

The Lamonster said:
How does Bush's ground game compare to McCain's ground game? At least in my state, I don't think McCain has ANY offices, while Obama has at least a dozen and we're all working our asses off....how is McCain winning MO so handily with no ground game?

Polls don't reflect the 'ground game' effect, and newly registered voters when polled don't make it through the usual Likely Voter screens. It distorts things.

Tamanon

Banned
Joe211 said:

She's done one interview, on ABC with Charlie Gibson. That's all.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Stoney Mason said:
but of course. i hated the protracted battle going on, and except for the blatant appeal to 'hard-working, white' voters and the blatant cries of sexism, but it has done Obama good.

although it took him way too correct his campaign in the weeks leading up to and following the DNC primary.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Cloudy said:

thats a great point. wright issues coming out now could have killed obama's chances.

gcubed

Fragamemnon said:
Polls don't reflect the 'ground game' effect, and newly registered voters when polled don't make it through the usual Likely Voter screens. It distorts things.

i asked a question a few pages back that no one bit on... and its relevant here, so i'll ask it again in condensed form.

Say 60% of the newly registered voters (on both sides) come out to vote (i realize its probably a high number, but bear with me). Considering the large advantage the democrats have in newly registered voters how much can this possibly sway a states polling that is currently using a likely voters model?

Likely voters, i assume, would also have a smaller then average representation from minorities and youth, which could also pile on on top of newly registereds.

scorcho said:
but of course. i hated the protracted battle going on, and except for the blatant appeal to 'hard-working, white' voters and the blatant cries of sexism, but it has done Obama good.

although it took him way too correct his campaign in the weeks leading up to and following the DNC primary.

I think the primary battle had both positive and negative effects. Its hard for me say on balance which side I fall on overall on the net effect. I was highly concerned that Obama wouldn't be the "fighter" I wanted him to be in a political sense and I think he carried over the primary mentality too long into the presidential campaign but that hopefully seems to have righted itself.

Joe211 said:

She has one upcoming with Hannity but they are purposely keeping her on an extremely short leash so she doesn't embarrass herself.

methodman

Banned
Found this on another site:

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight.....

* If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're
'exotic, different.'
* Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

* Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.
* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the
first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter
registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years
as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator
representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of
the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years
in the United States Senate representing a
state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on
the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's
Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.
* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city
council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with fewer than 7,000
people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people,
then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking
executive.

* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while
raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're
not a real Christian.
* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your
disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a
Christian.

* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including
the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.
* If , while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no
other option in sex education in your state's school system while your
unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant , you're very responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate laywer who gave up a position in
a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city
community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values
don't represent America's.
* If you're husband is nicknamed 'First Dude', with at least one DWI
conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until
age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession
of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
She has one upcoming with Hannity but they are purposely keeping her on an extremely short leash so she doesn't embarrass herself.
You'd think her reciting the same robotic speech over and over would do that but I guess not.

The VP debate should be fun.

AniHawk

PhatSaqs said:
You'd think her reciting the same robotic speech over and over would do that but I guess not.

The VP debate should be fun.

The same VP debate where Joe Biden was unfairly sexist towards Sarah Palin?

Remember, a skit on SNL written by a woman and starring two women as the only characters was labeled as sexist by GOP surrogates.

Tamanon

Banned
AniHawk said:

Remember, in a skit written by a woman and starring two women as the only characters on Saturday Night Live, GOP surrogates labeled it as sexist.

Which is a stupid move by them. It's turning into a boy who cries wolf scenario. This is what happens when people that have never decried sexism before try to use it, they don't know that it's a finesse accusation!

gcubed said:
i asked a question a few pages back that no one bit on... and its relevant here, so i'll ask it again in condensed form.

Say 60% of the newly registered voters (on both sides) come out to vote (i realize its probably a high number, but bear with me). Considering the large advantage the democrats have in newly registered voters how much can this possibly sway a states polling that is currently using a likely voters model?

Likely voters, i assume, would also have a smaller then average representation from minorities and youth, which could also pile on on top of newly registereds.

Depends on the state. If you are just working with newly registered voters in a state like, say, NC (where Dems have outregistered the GOP 8-to-1), it could influence the final polls in this heavy turnout year by 2% or even more.

There's way more to the ground game than just new registrations though. There's finding inactive voters and getting them engaged, and finding and pressing undecideds through direct contact.

To give a good example of the differences between the two candidates:

Obama has been in NC constantly since late March/April for the primaries and never left after they were done. He has 16 offices and 150-200 paid staff. Up until last month or so, McCain had been running the NC campaign out of Tallahassee, FL and nad no ground presence at all. Now they have nine offices and 17 paid staffers.

There is only one state that was reasonably mobilized for McCain for a good while and that's Florida. Everywhere else he's had an incredibly poor ground game compared to Dubya, whose 2004 effort pushed him over the top in Iowa, New Mexico, Nevada, and, of course, Ohio.

Zeliard

Stoney Mason said:
I think the primary battle had both positive and negative effects. Its hard for me say on balance which side I fall on overall on the net effect. I was highly concerned that Obama wouldn't be the "fighter" I wanted him to be in a political sense and I think he carried over the primary mentality too long into the presidential campaign but that hopefully seems to have righted itself.

Indeed. I don't understand some of the posters on here saying that Obama should stay above the fray and not fight back so as not to compromise his optimistic message of hope and change (which would be virtually impossible to ever truly undermine at this point, anyway, given that he's been preaching it for over 18 months). When has staying above the fray that ever shown to be a winning political strategy? Politics is a dirty game, and while Obama himself may want to change the way it works, there's little he can do until he actually gets to the White House. And to get there, he has to play the game.

methodman said:
Found this on another site:

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight.....

* If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're
'exotic, different.'
* Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

* Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.
* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the
first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter
registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years
as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator
representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of
the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years
in the United States Senate representing a
state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on
the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's
Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.
* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city
council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with fewer than 7,000
people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people,
then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking
executive.

* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while
raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're
not a real Christian.
* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your
disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a
Christian.

* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including
the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.
* If , while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no
other option in sex education in your state's school system while your
unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant , you're very responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate laywer who gave up a position in
a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city
community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values
don't represent America's.
* If you're husband is nicknamed 'First Dude', with at least one DWI
conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until
age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession
of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

The answer is yes.

AniHawk said:

Remember, in a skit written by a woman and starring two women as the only characters on Saturday Night Live, GOP surrogates labeled it as sexist.

The GOP will have used so much of the fake outrage that it probably won't matter by the time of the VP debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom