• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

2764497795_36019bb1d1_o.png

I REEE-HEE-HEE-EAAALY wish I didn't have to wait that long for the bounce to subside.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Been noticing a lot more Obama bumper stickers on the road during my commutes, lately... I live in an area that went slightly Democratic in both 2000 and 2004, where the Republicans around tend to be members from the upper middle class who thinks the Dems want to tax the hell out of them rather than the socially conservative religious right.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stoney Mason said:
More uppity elitism! Drudge Siren this please.

“Let me tell you my friends, there is no place I’d rather be than here with the working men and women win of Ohio,” McCain said on the campaign trail, as his millionairess-heiress second wife stood behind him, a slight, but glitteringly bejeweled figure, as gaunt and dry and resplendent as an unwrapped pharaoh.

fixed

Fatalah said:
2764497795_36019bb1d1_o.png

I REEE-HEE-HEE-EAAALY wish I didn't have to wait that long for the bounce to subside.

The bounce is gone already - most polls show it being dead even. The bounce lasted even shorted than Nate predicted.

And that's a GOOD thing!

Fatalah

Frank the Great said:
The bounce is gone already - most polls show it being dead even. The bounce lasted even shorted than Nate predicted.

And that's a GOOD thing!

Yeah, but what if McCain's numbers are still being pushed by the bounce?

shark.jpg

Cheebs

New ARG polls are out:

AL 58% 36% 1% 5%
AK 55% 39% 2% 3%
AZ 56% 39% 1% 3%
CO 46% 44% 3% 7%
DE 40% 51% 1% 8%
DC 13% 82% - 4%
HI 32% 63% 2% 4%
ID 68% 25% - 6%
IL 45% 51% 1% 4%
KS 63% 31% - 6%
KY 57% 37% 1% 5%
LA 50% 43% 1% 6%
ME 41% 51% - 8%
MS 55% 39% 1% 5%
MO 50% 45% - 5%
MT 49% 47% 1% 4%
NV 49% 46% - 5%
NM 44% 51% - 5%
NY 38% 55% 2% 5%
NC 52% 41% 1% 6%
OH 50% 44% - 6%
RI 33% 59% - 8%
TX 57% 36% 1% 6%
UT 65% 29% - 6%
WV 49% 45% - 7%
WY 66% 28% - 5%

in terms of swing states McCain ahead in OH, NV, and CO, Obama ahead in NM.

Cheebs said:
New ARG polls are out:

AL 58% 36% 1% 5%
AK 55% 39% 2% 3%
AZ 56% 39% 1% 3%
CO 46% 44% 3% 7%
DE 40% 51% 1% 8%
DC 13% 82% - 4%
HI 32% 63% 2% 4%
ID 68% 25% - 6%
IL 45% 51% 1% 4%
KS 63% 31% - 6%
KY 57% 37% 1% 5%
LA 50% 43% 1% 6%
ME 41% 51% - 8%
MS 55% 39% 1% 5%
MO 50% 45% - 5%
MT 49% 47% 1% 4%
NV 49% 46% - 5%
NM 44% 51% - 5%
NY 38% 55% 2% 5%
NC 52% 41% 1% 6%
OH 50% 44% - 6%
RI 33% 59% - 8%
TX 57% 36% 1% 6%
UT 65% 29% - 6%
WV 49% 45% - 7%
WY 66% 28% - 5%

West Virginia, Montana, and Missouri are all surprisingly close.

Sucks that Obama's behind in the normal toss-ups though (NM isn't a toss-up.)

somedevil

Cheebs said:
New ARG polls are out:

AL 58% 36% 1% 5%
AK 55% 39% 2% 3%
AZ 56% 39% 1% 3%
CO 46% 44% 3% 7%
DE 40% 51% 1% 8%
DC 13% 82% - 4%
HI 32% 63% 2% 4%
ID 68% 25% - 6%
IL 45% 51% 1% 4%
KS 63% 31% - 6%
KY 57% 37% 1% 5%
LA 50% 43% 1% 6%
ME 41% 51% - 8%
MS 55% 39% 1% 5%
MO 50% 45% - 5%
MT 49% 47% 1% 4%
NV 49% 46% - 5%
NM 44% 51% - 5%
NY 38% 55% 2% 5%
NC 52% 41% 1% 6%
OH 50% 44% - 6%
RI 33% 59% - 8%
TX 57% 36% 1% 6%
UT 65% 29% - 6%
WV 49% 45% - 7%
WY 66% 28% - 5%

These polls seem off. In colorado they interviewed more republicans than democrats and also I really doubt Obama is up only by 6 points in his home state.

vitaflo

Stoney Mason said:
This is impossible. Only rich snobby elites don't shop at Walmart but Obama is winning those below $40,000 so clearly something isn't right with the polling.

There aren't any Walmart's in the inner city.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
It probably just suggests the previous large gap was simply due to noise (or poor methodology, Diageo is a mystery to me)
But that "noise" lasted quite a few days. This is his lowest in nearly 5 days.

The McCain campaign said it was unhappy with NOW's decision to endorse Obama.

"It's extremely disappointing that an organization that purports to be an advocate for all women not only opposes but feels compelled to go out of its way to criticize and make negative comments about the only ticket in the presidential race with a woman on the ticket," Palin's spokeswoman Maria Comella said in an e-mail.

Bu-bu-bu-but it wasn't pandering...McCain selected Palin based SOLELY on her qualifications....

Xisiqomelir

ryutaro's mama said:
Bu-bu-bu-but it wasn't pandering...McCain selected Palin based SOLELY on her qualifications....

We will also note that the McSame campaign quietly ignores the 2 main NOW points about reproductive choice and equal pay. Fortunately for JSA & Co, Johnny Average is happy to accept what he's told with no questions or verification.

ryutaro's mama said:
That is the equivalent of crying during a fist fight. I just love that they're "extremely disappointed." Suck it, jerks!

syllogism

Cheebs said:
But that "noise" lasted quite a few days. This is his lowest in nearly 5 days.
I wonder if they use one day sample for their issue performance tracking, they seem to fluctuate wildly except for the national security one.

e: seems unlikely but it is curious

e2: actually yes, their sample size seems to be smaller

N=443 / MARGIN OF ERROR=+/- 4.7%]

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tamanon said:
He doesn't want Deniro hanging out with a secret Muslim.

Never mind. I just read his post history - especially the part about how caucasians are objectively and scientifically more beautiful than other races.

And that how the skill of mutation had to be achieved through... evolution.

Pakkidis

http://www.lewrockwell.com/reed/reed146.html

From Out of a Rotting Log

by Fred Reed

Just dragged my scrawny carcass in from Washington, the heart of darkness, with the usual sense – usual now – of having visited an asylum. I figure Salvador Dali designed the government. Or maybe Ionesco or Someone deeply twisted with a sick sense of humor.

In the airports, the same obedience training – take off your shoes, belt, watch, fillings, prostate, so we can to learn to respect the authority of low-IQ federalized renta-cops with the psyches of school-yard bullies. God save us from the congenitally unimportant. From PA systems came the same pointless security-babble having nothing to do with security, in the same over elocuted I-wanna-lick-the-microphone female voices. Well, it’s not quite pointless. We must condition the rubes, give them an inspiriting sense of danger so they will do as they are told. It’s awful. I’m going to apply for a change of phylum.

It got worse. I discovered that America is about to have an election. Why? Every time they do that, no good comes of it. You’d think they’d learn.

Ass usual, the election is a popularity contest run for dimwits. And to elect a dimwit, which is worse. We’ve got this woman Palin, an angry Betty Crocker, absolutely unqualified for the presidency in case McCain goes tits up. She’s ignorant of foreign affairs, at best moderately bright, a whackjob Christian, and a “pit bull.” This is said admiringly.

Oh good. An aggressive ignorant dull-witted-pit bull. How is that better than a passive ignorant torpid pit bull?

Oh god, McCain. A senescent replica of Bush who says he wants to stay in Iraq a hundred years. Actually, the idea has its appeal. Why doesn’t he go there and get a start? A perfect match for Palin, another pugnacious dunce, bottom of his class in boat school – the Naval Academy, I mean. He says he plans to “confront Russia.” Now there’s a plan. It seems that American policy is to make enemies of everyone who has oil or nuclear weapons. Or doesn’t.

Meanwhile the Pentagon prepares for war with China. Is it something in the water?

Next we have Obama, whose only qualification is that he’s maybe a tad less bellicose than the rest of these Oprah Neanderthals. His veep, Biden, is a grey nonentity, a cipher with no characteristics. Well, that’s better than the other three. I mean, he’s as close to no candidate as we can come.

What are we doing? The country has gone nuts. If a giant squirrel began collecting us and storing us for winter, I’d understand. Three hundred million people, and these factory rejects the best we can do?

Actually, I do understand it, barely. The undergirding of American politics is the seldom-stated but always audible cry of “You ain’t no gooder’n me!” We have government by inferiority complex. The last thing the great burger-chomping, reality-show-watching mental vacuum out there wants is anyone who might make reglar folks feel inferior. The cloth of the country is woven of resentment. The public wants a regular guy, comfortingly stupid, who watches NASCAR and in broken English as if recently concussed. Few would select a cardiac surgeon from a bus station, but it’s how we do presidents.

You probably can get elected holding a chain saw and a severed head, but not if you know words of three syllables.

It’s getting scary. The more angry and miserable things get at home, the more people want to smack hell out of someone. It doesn’t matter who. The American attitude toward the world is, “Not only can I lick anybody in this bar, but I can lick all of you at once.” Before I said that, I’d want to be real sure who was in the bar.

At least two of these gong-show dregs, Palin and Bush, blame their personality disorders on God. Yes. They think God wants them to blow hell out of more or less everybody. We’re talking wars of religion, boys and girls. Christian loons in the US, Jewish loons in Israel, and Moslem loons widely distributed, all wanting to blow people up because God told them. I want a signed affidavit from God. Or a drink. Whatever happened to grownups?

I babble, but it’s hard to think straight when contemplating nuclear-armed kindergarteners. In Washington, I saw about ten friends, many of them biochemists, lawyers, programmers, freelance screwballs, what have you. Sitting at the Zoo Bar one night (so called because it’s across Connecticut Avenue from the zoo, not because of its clientele) a dismal epiphany struck me, kersplat, like a sock full of hog kidneys:

I don’t know anybody who isn’t better qualified to be president than anyone who is or is about to be.

Of the ten friends I mentioned, the baseline IQ is close to 140 and goes up, often lots up. All of them are well read and many have spent a lot of time overseas. All speak and write good English and, some of them, foreign languages. They aren’t geniuses, just upper-middle-brow. But they are way better than the rabble running for the White House.

I don’t get it. For president, I want somebody lots brighter than I am, who knows history, who speaks a few languages, maybe spent time in the military without being an officer and therefore a warped buzz-cut Boy Scout. They exist. I have friends who knew where South Ossetia was twenty years ago, and why, who know the military and military history and what works and what doesn’t and why. I’m not like that. Not smart enough. But they are. Yet we get candidates who could probably run a small-town hardware store. Reglar folks, though.

Democracy is a bad idea, I tell you. Granted, we’ve never really tried it. From Jefferson to our current bumbling mutant, the trick has been to let people think they have power without really trusting them with it. For a long time we had rule by a high-WASP elite that actually had some sense of noblesse oblige, tempered by sufficient corruption to keep them in gravy. The Roosevelts for example. You can disagree with their policies, but they weren’t penny-ante pickpocket proles with learning disabilities.

Today we get grasping zeros who would embarrass a trailer park in Arkansas. Ah, but they are of the people, and don’t make anyone feel inadequate. In everything that counts, which means involving money, we have rule by corporations, through legalized corruption far more lucrative than Latin America could dream of.

I have a theory that countries deserve what they get, at least when it’s internally generated. Belgium didn’t deserve to be overrun by Germany, but Belgium didn’t elect Hitler. It’s going to be a funny eight years.

September 17, 2008

Fred Reed is author of Nekkid in Austin: Drop Your Inner Child Down a Well and the just-published A Brass Pole in Bangkok: A Thing I Aspire to Be. Visit his blog.

Copyright © 2008 Fred Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom