• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewLib

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Just because a nonsensical argument exists doesn't warrant granting it any sort of credence.

Its like you read the second part of that post and just wanted to fit in the description? Just because you dont believe something does not might it nonsensical.

There are many valid reasons to believe that when the upper class is less taxed, the economy does better. I dont necessarily agree with many but they are many respected Economists who have more experience in the matter than you and I, and do believe it.

AniHawk

STREAMS. CROSSED.

AMERICA: FUCK YEAH.

Gallup: Obama + 2
Rasmussen: McCain + 1
Research 2000: Obama + 4
Diageo Hotline: Obama + 3
Average: Obama + 2

TAKE THAT, SPACE COYOTE!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Steve Youngblood said:
I never understand these points.

I don't think that anyone who is familiar at all with how the U.S. government operates thinks that Obama is going to go into the White House and fix things overnight, despite whatever powerful rhetoric either of the candidates might be pushing. However, even being cynical, I don't understand how you can't see that, if nothing else, we're rallying to the candidate we believe will be less of a trainwreck.

To argue that the president is the single most influential figure in economics is very naive. However, arguing that the president, either directly or indirectly, has no impact on economics is also very naive.

What can a president do to help an economy? Tax hikes certainly don't help. Tax cuts do to a degree. The president has more opportunity to hurt the economy than help it.

McCain will continue to keep taxes low and hope that the natural cycle will play itself out. Obama will add over 1 tillion in spending and hope government can pull us out of this ditch. Decide what you prefer and vote. That's my advice because Obama will be in Iraq for years to come just like McCain would be. It's basically a non issue now.

GhaleonEB

wo0i6gjglukrrl2a8zdiza.gif

They didn't even stop to kiss on the way past.

Today's report includes two days of interviewing conducted after reports of the collapse of Wall Street financial institutions and changes in the stock market began to dominate the news on Monday. Gallup Poll Daily tracking data show that in each of these individual days (Monday and Tuesday) consumer ratings of the U.S. economy have become more negative. Similarly, in each of these individual days' interviewing, Obama has led McCain in election tracking. There is thus a correlation between the bad financial news and Obama's gains, although the data do not allow us to conclude definitively that there is a causal connection between the two. Throughout the campaign, Obama has generally held an edge over McCain when voters are asked who could best handle the U.S. economy, although McCain gained on the economic dimension in polling conducted immediately after the GOP convention.

JayDubya

Banned
Cooter said:
Partly true but the fact that he isn't blood thirsty doesn't make him not a realist. Let's turn this into a Batman discussion. I'm sure no one would object to that. :lol

They'll be having DC superheroes talking political affiliation soon enough. Wasn't there that pre-election limited series coming out soon?

Barrett2

Cooter said:
:lol if you think any person is going to fix our economic problems if elected.

Serioulsy people. Start living in reality.

Republican Logic 101 - When a Republican President presides over a bad economy, the Prez has no impact on economy. When a Republican President presides over a good economy, Prez has high impact on economy.

Inverse for Demo Prez, and you are now ready to move onto Republican talking point 102.

Tamanon

Banned
JayDubya said:
They'll be having DC superheroes talking political affiliation soon enough. Wasn't there that pre-election limited series coming out soon?

Yes, and it will be awful. Absolutely atrocious.

Xisiqomelir

NewLib said:
Its like you read the second part of that post and just wanted to fit in the description? Just because you dont believe something does not might it nonsensical.

This is Golden Mean Fallacy territory. Because I have an opinion and Drooly McInbred from the Appalachians has a diametrically opposed opinion they're both equally valid? Do facts and evidence count for nothing?

AniHawk said:
STREAMS. CROSSED.

AMERICA: FUCK YEAH.

Gallup: Obama + 2
Rasmussen: McCain + 1
Research 2000: Obama + 4
Diageo Hotline: Obama + 3
Average: Obama + 2

TAKE THAT, SPACE COYOTE!

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Obamaposter.jpg

ronito

Cooter said:
McCain will continue to keep taxes low and hope that the natural cycle will play itself out.
That's not change it's more of .....well you know what it is.

Urination economics hasn't worked in the past 20+ years, it wont work in the next 20.

Cooter said:
Of course not. She's cute as a button though and if the left continues to try and push the hate it will backfire.
So it is just a cynical political ploy to use sexist views about women being 'victims' to their advantage? That is pretty sad.

She's not someone the majority of people are going to hate like the far left seems to.
No one hates her. People just think she's unqualifed, she's lying about things such as the bridge to no where, and her policy positions are terrible. That is not hate, that is just political disagreement. Saying people hate her is just trying to make her into some kind of victim . . . and that is being sexist as I just explained.

Cooter said:
What can a president do to help an economy? Tax hikes certainly don't help. Tax cuts do to a degree. The president has more opportunity to hurt the economy than help it.

McCain will continue to keep taxes low and hope that the natural cycle will play itself out. Obama will add over 1 tillion in spending and hope government can pull us out of this ditch. Decide what prefer and vote. That's my advice because Obama will be in Iraq for years to come just like McCain would be. It's basically a non issue now.
Again, I'm not arguing that they are pivotal figures. I'm also not interested in debating the merits of how strict regulation from a responsible government would have saved us, as that argument would take far more time and effort than I have at my disposal right now (I'm also admittedly an armchair economist with no formal training in the field).

I'm just saying that I don't understand your points at all. It seems to be a strictly cynical approach where you want to rain on the proverbial parade, and continuously argue that neither Obama nor McCain are going to make much of a difference. "I can't believe you guys are excited by this sham of a process!"

I'm not trying to be the sherriff in town who tells you to take a hike. I'm just wondering if you have anything more insightful to offer to the discussion.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
MOE guys, MOE. don't hyperventilate.
True, but two thoughts:

First, this is a four point swing from before the start of the Democratic convention; Obama was down the day it started. That's a statistically significant swing.

Second, it's a seven point swing from McCain's peak, after the Republican convention. Normal convention bounce for him, but seeing it subside sooner than expected it good.

OWV: Your smooth, dulcet words continue to soothe me.

Cooter

lawblob said:
Republican Logic 101 - When a Republican President presides over a bad economy, the Prez has no impact on economy. When a Republican President presides over a good economy, Prez has high impact on economy.

Inverse for Demo Prez, and you are now ready to move onto Republican talking point 102.

So do you give Bush credit for the economy staying strong after 9/11? Do you give credit to Clinton for the tech boom of the 90's?

You keep believing that a President has major influence in the ups and downs of an economy. Good luck with that.

Obama will win and I expect 20 million jobs and a surplus in 4 years. That's fair isn't it?

scorcho said:
MOE guys, MOE. don't hyperventilate.

Forgot it. I think it's pretty clear from that poll that Obama will beat Mccain in much the same manner as Reagan beat Mondale. ;)

GAF only works in full depression mode or full elation mode. Realism is not our forte...

Time for a thread title change: "PoliGAF Interim Thread of Polls and trending you can believe in".

gcubed

sorry to sort of break the convo, someone said they were thinking of coming to PA to help out... which area? And how many Obama Gaffers do we have in the Philly area? I'm in Delaware County and was thinking of having some kind of fundraising/debate watch/whatever thing at my place... We can PM if anyone is interested to keep the thread moving

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Doooooooooooooe....

Rayyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Egannnnnnnnnnnn!

Stoney Mason said:
Forgot it. I think it's pretty clear from that poll that Obama will beat Mccain in much the same manner as Reagan beat Mondale. ;)

GAF only works in full depression mode or full elation mode. Realism is not our forte...
A little bi-polar, but those highs are oh so high.

Cooter

ronito said:
That's not change it's more of .....well you know what it is.

Urination economics hasn't worked in the past 20+ years, it wont work in the next 20.

Seemed to have worked well in the 90's.

Steve Youngblood said:
Again, I'm not arguing that they are pivotal figures. I'm also not interested in debating the merits of how strict regulation from a responsible government would have saved us, as that argument would take far more time and effort than I have at my disposal right now (I'm also admittedly an armchair economist with no formal training in the field).

I'm just saying that I don't understand your points at all. It seems to be a strictly cynical approach where you want to rain on the proverbial parade, and continuously argue that neither Obama nor McCain are going to make much of a difference. "I can't believe you guys are excited by this sham of a process!"

I'm not trying to be the sherriff in town who tells you to take a hike. I'm just wondering if you have anything more insightful to offer to the discussion.

I'm just trying to spare many here from false hope. Be excited that Obama will improve our standing in the world or focus on alternative energy but don't expect him to fix this mess of an economy.

Cooter said:
:lol if you think any person is going to fix our economic problems if elected.

Serioulsy people. Start living in reality.

Fix economic problems? No, the economy has to do that. But there are levers of control. And the big one that drives me insane is the fiscal irresponsibility on the right. STOP RUNNING MASSIVE DEFICITS. If you don't cut spending, then don't cut taxes.

AniHawk

RubxQub said:
Doooooooooooooe....

Rayyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Egannnnnnnnnnnn!

...All my life, could I have not gotten this joke? Does he say Egon because he's trying to play off the pun that Ray does or does he say Egon because he thinks Ray is just saying his name?

Cooter

speculawyer said:
Fix economic problems? No, the economy has to do that. But there are levers of control. And the big one that drives me insane is the fiscal irresponsibility on the right. STOP RUNNING MASSIVE DEFICITS. If you don't cut spending, then don't cut taxes.

I understand but Barack is proposing over 1 trillion in new spending. How is this gonna work speculawyer? Especially with control of both houses.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
...All my life, could I have not gotten this joke? Does he say Egon because he's trying to play off the pun that Ray does or does he say Egon because he thinks Ray is just saying his name?
Yes.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
AniHawk said:
The look Egon gives after he finishes saying his part shows he knows what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom